Could Covid work in our favour?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Champagneblade

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, the current situation isn't looking good with talk of more lockdowns and the first utterances of fans being taken away once more.

But are United better placed than most to cope with covid?

My thoughts are twofold:

1. The squad - we just beat Fulham without the availability of 8 senior pros, 9 if you count Verrips and had a 10th withdrawn at half time. Apply that situation to the other clubs, even Fulham and Bournemouth and how does their first XI look when you take away a keeper, 2 first choice centre backs, the best midfielder and 4 striking options. Not too clever I'd guess. Apply that to someone like Preston and it would be disastrous. So whilst we didn't have enough quality to maintain the level in the Premier League, the fact our squad is much of a muchness and higher end Championship would probably work in our favour. Our ability to carry on regardless is probably within the top two in the league.

2. No fans - our fans play a big part in raising the team and the absence was felt in the top league when this was like an additional shot in the arm. Without this, then it was one less leveller and ability on its own took more of a significance than the whole package of crowd, intimidation, players, packed house etc. So turn it on its head. Were bow the ones who, certainly now playing in a way we are familiar, have the better players than most on paper. Without this added edge, wouldn't that work more in our favour against these smaller teams, just like it did for the top teams against us?

If covid cost us a place in Europe, and possibly the division, it would be quite ironic if it then contributed to putting us back there, wouldn't it?!

I've not been keeping up to date on COVID rules, but are we now expected to show proof of vaccination or a negative LFT prior to entering home games?

I was thinking the same about our squad depth compared to almost every other team.. In a team with some confidence now, we could probably interchange several players each game without losing any real quality. Not so long ago, the whole squad looked poor. After winning 4 on the trot, we now appear to have a very strong squad for this level. It also looks like teams like Blackburn / Forest, may have to sell their best players if they get offers in January. I do not think we have any risk of losing our best players, (except perhaps MGW), and we do not have a top scoring forward that could be lost to injury - (eg Blackburn, Fulham, Bournemouth).

My biggest fear is our back-up goalie Eastwood
Can we rely on him if Wes gets injured or a ban ??

Don't get me wrong, the current situation isn't looking good with talk of more lockdowns and the first utterances of fans being taken away once more.

But are United better placed than most to cope with covid?

My thoughts are twofold:

1. The squad - we just beat Fulham without the availability of 8 senior pros, 9 if you count Verrips and had a 10th withdrawn at half time. Apply that situation to the other clubs, even Fulham and Bournemouth and how does their first XI look when you take away a keeper, 2 first choice centre backs, the best midfielder and 4 striking options. Not too clever I'd guess. Apply that to someone like Preston and it would be disastrous. So whilst we didn't have enough quality to maintain the level in the Premier League, the fact our squad is much of a muchness and higher end Championship would probably work in our favour. Our ability to carry on regardless is probably within the top two in the league.

2. No fans - our fans play a big part in raising the team and the absence was felt in the top league when this was like an additional shot in the arm. Without this, then it was one less leveller and ability on its own took more of a significance than the whole package of crowd, intimidation, players, packed house etc. So turn it on its head. Were bow the ones who, certainly now playing in a way we are familiar, have the better players than most on paper. Without this added edge, wouldn't that work more in our favour against these smaller teams, just like it did for the top teams against us?

If covid cost us a place in Europe, and possibly the division, it would be quite ironic if it then contributed to putting us back there, wouldn't it?!
I thought behind closed doors was gonna get us Champions League because the squad were so close knit.
It actually killed the best united team in my lifetime

Care to explain? I've got tickets for Hull and Boro.
Watch the news or just read a website... The PM has been strongly hinting at post Christmas restrictions. Scotland and Wales, who use the same data to make their own decisions, have already gone to behind closed doors.

Watch the news or just read a website... The PM has been strongly hinting at post Christmas restrictions. Scotland and Wales, who use the same data to make their own decisions, have already gone to behind closed doors.
After all the Xmas party shenanigans at No.10, the PM will be too nesh to impose extra restrictions. Game on.⚔️

should fizzle out completely if south Africa is anything to go by . case numbers are plummeting there and still they say no deaths directly linked there

we are claiming 14 within 28 days of a test getting a mention of covid , but not confirmed as the sole cause

they told us it's doubling every 2 days 2 weeks go, but it's not and that's just a positive test not really sick people

Covid works in no-one's favour.

A different strategy and less panic is needed after this winter.

My biggest fear is our back-up goalie Eastwood
Can we rely on him if Wes gets injured or a ban ??

Jordan Amissah has been training with the first team - wouldn’t be surprised if he overtakes Eastwood as No2

should fizzle out completely if south Africa is anything to go by . case numbers are plummeting there and still they say no deaths directly linked there

we are claiming 14 within 28 days of a test getting a mention of covid , but not confirmed as the sole cause

they told us it's doubling every 2 days 2 weeks go, but it's not and that's just a positive test not really sick people
It is doubling daily what u on about?
it’s not just becoming Iil it’s the amount of cases that impacts on everything
No testing data until tomorrow don’t be surprised to see 200,000 a day by Thursday Friday

It is doubling daily what u on about?
it’s not just becoming Iil it’s the amount of cases that impacts on everything
No testing data until tomorrow don’t be surprised to see 200,000 a day by Thursday Friday
Read the article I posted it's falling dramatically in South Africa already where it started and the only thing increasing is positive tests
Not hospital admissions or deaths

10 days ago one report said there were 200000 uninfected which doubling every 2. Days would mean 6 m infected and there are not

There's a huge gulf between a positive antigen test and a surge of deaths

Not one death in South Africa speaks volumes
Its fast becoming a virus of no concern
Why they call them cases is baffling as 99 per cent have no symptons whatsoever

Last edited:
Some experts on here… must have learnt at the knee of the master..

”You Know I’m something of a scientist myself”
DB201538-31AA-447A-A5B6-843D4C6FF821.png

But Sturgeon and Drakeford haven’t got any detractors inside their parties. Johnson is under great pressure not to implement the same draconian restrictions.

While this hospitalisations graph refuses to shoot upwards Omicron is under control its very much under the might and could column
20211227_123844.jpg

Back
Top Bottom