Congratulations Lucky Sheffield United

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

DerbyDave

Reaction score
Congrats to Sheffield United on their fantastic achievement . I was at Derby earlier in the season when we beat you , I didn't really think you looked good enough for promotion , but delighted to be proven wrong

As a Ram , you'd appreciate my glee also at seeing Dirty Leeds completely balls up automatic promotion for themselves

I am Derby through and through , but have always had a lot of affection for the Blades , reasons I've stated previously (TC a Quality goal From a Quality Player , When Saturday Comes , The Full Monty etc, etc )

The "Lucky" in my topic title is strictly tongue in cheek , ever since everything possible went wrong to relegate you in 2007 , from a seemingly safe position in the table 10 games out ....it has appeared luck has been totally against you

It was bad enough being relegated by a goal , Webber hitting the post , when it looked easier to score in that fateful last game , home to Wigan , that protected species , West Ham winning games they never would have without the illegal signing of Carlos Tevez , Fulham beating Liverpool due to the reds resting their entire first team ..and on and on
Missing out on promotion back to the Premiership on penalties at Wembley , then bombing out in yet more play-offs .
One single bad season and its down to League 1 . Promotion from that division virtually in the bag with Ched Evans scoring every week ...and then , well we know what happened then , you couldn't make this stuff up , seriously ? , some bastard has cursed Sheffield United , there is no other plausible explanation !
Then along comes Chris Wilder ... beautiful work Mr McCabe , your finest hour

Just a couple of other thoughts

Enjoy Bramall Lane , I've always liked it , proper Football Stadium
We moved to Pride Park , nice and modern , civilised bogs , good views , nice inner area to have a pie and a pint whilst watching Sky Sports..do we prefer it to the run down , ramshackle old Baseball Ground ? ..no we do not

Get your bloody stripes back on the back of your Home shirts

Do get that Black and Red strip as your new 2nd shirt , it looks brilliant . I personally hate fluorescent Yellow / green strips , they look hideous and have nothing to do with the Clubs traditional colours . I do however understand some sentiment , after all it is now associated with success

Do Sheffield United (some) really want Middlesbrough promoted ? , they send me to sleep , as do all Tony Pulis led sides , a more boring club with possible exceptions of Stoke and Reading , I cannot imagine

Kevin McCabe , Neil Warnock ? ..I'd always speak well of them , not perfect of course (who is ?) , but both Men cared deeply for Sheffield United Football Club , that is always worthy of respect I think

Good luck Lads , hopefully Derby (although its a long shot ) will be in the Promised Land with you .
If not , well finally , I have a Club I actually like to cheer on in the Prem next season

The trick is to have the lowest goals conceded.
Pretty sure the team finishing in the top two and usually second has had the fewest goals conceded over the last few seasons? Possibly back to 14/15.
What a cracking record we have this season.
Oh and just wondered DerbyDave , how do you feel about the name change of your club?

The trick is to have the lowest goals conceded.
Pretty sure the team finishing in the top two and usually second has had the fewest goals conceded over the last few seasons? Possibly back to 14/15.
What a cracking record we have this season.
Oh and just wondered DerbyDave , how do you feel about the name change of your club?

Yeah good on you mate :p

Congrats to Sheffield United on their fantastic achievement . I was at Derby earlier in the season when we beat you , I didn't really think you looked good enough for promotion , but delighted to be proven wrong

As a Ram , you'd appreciate my glee also at seeing Dirty Leeds completely balls up automatic promotion for themselves

I am Derby through and through , but have always had a lot of affection for the Blades , reasons I've stated previously (TC a Quality goal From a Quality Player , When Saturday Comes , The Full Monty etc, etc )

The "Lucky" in my topic title is strictly tongue in cheek , ever since everything possible went wrong to relegate you in 2007 , from a seemingly safe position in the table 10 games out ....it has appeared luck has been totally against you

It was bad enough being relegated by a goal , Webber hitting the post , when it looked easier to score in that fateful last game , home to Wigan , that protected species , West Ham winning games they never would have without the illegal signing of Carlos Tevez , Fulham beating Liverpool due to the reds resting their entire first team ..and on and on
Missing out on promotion back to the Premiership on penalties at Wembley , then bombing out in yet more play-offs .
One single bad season and its down to League 1 . Promotion from that division virtually in the bag with Ched Evans scoring every week ...and then , well we know what happened then , you couldn't make this stuff up , seriously ? , some bastard has cursed Sheffield United , there is no other plausible explanation !

We moved to Pride Park , nice and modern , civilised bogs , good views , nice inner area to have a pie and a pint whilst watching Sky Sports..do we prefer it to the run down , ramshackle old Baseball Ground ? ..no we do not

Do get that Black and Red strip as your new 2nd shirt , it looks brilliant . I personally hate fluorescent Yellow / green strips , they look hideous and have nothing to do with the Clubs traditional colours . I do however understand some sentiment , after all it is now associated with success

Do Sheffield United (some) really want Middlesbrough promoted ? , they send me to sleep , as do all Tony Pulis led sides , a more boring club with possible exceptions of Stoke and Reading , I cannot imagine

Kevin McCabe , Neil Warnock ? ..I'd always speak well of them , not perfect of course (who is ?) , but both Men cared deeply for Sheffield United Football Club , that is always worthy of respect I think

Good luck Lads , hopefully Derby (although its a long shot ) will be in the Promised Land with you .
If not , well finally , I have a Club I actually like to cheer on in the Prem next season
Thanks for the well wishes. Nice of you to make the effort.

You'll probabaly get some flack and some comments about Frank Lampard's Derby County - for some reason people seem to really dislike him, though not me; I really hope you go up.

Aston Villa have took the piss money wise since they've been in the championship, so I cant cheer for them.

Leeds have played good football and probabaly deserve to go up in a lot of ways- not for me though, I don't think I could stand the potential media love in if they go up.

West Brom just bore me, always have. They don't seem to have a tactical identity, they seem to just be relying on their parachute payments to see them through so I'd be happy to see them fall away.

So that leaves you, Boro and Bristol. No sane person would want to see Boro (or their "style" of play) in the PL and I'm no different.
I hope you or Bristol make it in that case, best of luck. :)

I don't mind Derby actually, the football team not the place of course. Your badge is a graphic designers dream. Good luck to FLDC in the playoffs, probably the only team i don't dislike in the playoffs this year.

So that leaves you, Boro and Bristol. No sane person would want to see Boro (or their "style" of play) in the PL and I'm no different.
I hope you or Bristol make it in that case, best of luck. :)

Forgot about Bristol, would be good for the south west to have some PL representation. They can pack it in with that horrible green and purple away kit though

I think he was more than alluding to us being overdue a slice of luck, given the great dollops of the opposite since 2007.

Good read DerbyDave and some good insight into our history over the last decade or so. Are we going to be joined by FLDC, or will they fall short? Sky and the pundits would love it more than Leeds going up and they were creaming themselves over that up until Easter.

Thanks. Apologies for wanting Middlesborough up, but I've got a bet on!;)

Read the title and thought "cunt".

It appears I'm the cunt and a lazy one at that for not reading the whole thread.

Good read, Dave, ta. I guess from our perspective, we would want the weakest possible team to come up through the play offs, a team we feel we could finish above next season. No disrespect, that would be Derby, Middlesbrough or Bristol City, although Bristol City always seem to beat us!:confused:. Tony Pulis is an anti-football twat so the de facto choice would be your boys, despite Frank Lampard;). What the media would do if he took you up would keep sperm banks full for years.:eek:

So good luck in the play offs, I think you'll need it but that could be all it takes and I think all Blades thank their God it's not us.:)

Interesting that you should specifically name Stoke and Reading, out of all English Football League clubs, as the very definition of a boring club.

Funnily enough, only the other day I was looking at who will inherit the title of “Oldest Football League Club” if, as seems likely, Notts County fall through the trapdoor this weekend. The answer? Stoke City. Fair enough.

But who will be #4 on the list? Reading. Yes, Reading. Reading F.C., the FOURTH oldest Football League club. Wowzers. I wasn’t expecting that.

Regards your points.

1: Regards luck, we feel we’ve been unlucky during the season, should be on many more points, having conceded loads of last second goals denied 2 points each game against Stoke, Rotherham, Aston Villa, Millwall. Where as both Leeds and Norwich have scored last minute goals in several matches. For example Leeds were losing on 90 minutes at home to Blackburn, then they score 2 injury time goals to pinch an unlikely 3 points. We’ve been leading for many more minutes than any team in the Championship.

2: We like Bramall Lane too, it’s far from perfect but has tradition and character.
I went to the Baseball ground in the 80’s and remember the stands being so close to the pitch making the atmosphere better, the players almost had no run up to take a throw in.

3: Agree, we want the stripes on the back, the current kit makes us look too much like Fulham (from the back)

4: Agree about the away kit, however we’ve generally had some good times/ promotions playing in a fluorescent yellow away kit, as though it’s a lucky omen, probably explains why many of our fans seem to prefer it.

5: Regards Boro, agree they are both limited and boring, although they are organised and defensively strong. If you love the game then you wouldn’t want Boro promoted but if you want United to stay up, then Boro and Bristol City should be the weakest teams in the PL if they gain promotion, so it gives us a better chance. Also the Boro fans are probably the most down to earth and negative out of the promotion pack (they remind me of us). Leeds and Villa generally have horribly arrogant fans but give Derby, WBA, Bristol C a chance and they’ll all be arrogant too. Don’t normally mind DC as a club but really dislike the bias media love-in towards Frank Lampard.

6: Believe it or not Warnock (and to a degree McCabe) aren’t universally lauded by all our fans. Many remember the great performances under Warnock but we also remember the shockingly bad performances under Warnock too. We also remember the string of excuses when ever we lost. Chris Wilder is in a totally different league to Warnock, he doesn’t make excuses and often praises the opposition. Incredibly poor performances are very rare, we are amazingly consistent under Wilder. We also play the best style of football I’ve seen in 42 years, no individuals but such a well drilled TEAM playing quick passing football.

7: Thanks for the support. We’ve had some tough times, 6 years in shitty league 1 was depressing, hence this promotion means so much to us, especially as it’s happened with passionate Sheffield United fans owning, managing and captaining the club.

In the space of 3 years Chris Wilder has transformed us from one of the worse sides in our entire history to the best team I’ve seen at the Lane. It’s almost like witnessing a miracle and i’ll never forget it.

Last edited:

Do get that Black and Red strip as your new 2nd shirt , it looks brilliant . I personally hate fluorescent Yellow / green strips , they look hideous and have nothing to do with the Clubs traditional colours . I do however understand some sentiment , after all it is now associated with succes

This I can back. Although this years home kit has grown on me over the season, I hope next season our colours are red with white stripes, not white with red stripes.

I like the away strip though, that can stay.

Good luck to you pal! I worked out of offices in Leeds and Burton on Trent for years when Burton were non-league and you guys had a decent side in the top tier, so there were a good few Rammy Boys around. Good lads in the main some still keep in touch, miles better then the Leeds scum that I encountered.

Agree with all that ,used to like the Baseball ground ,Pride Park is Leicesters ground whatever its now called is Readings ground is ..........
I did a poll on who we think and hope will go up ,fuck knows where it is ,but I hoped Derby ,partly because it will take the pressure of us next season and also Jody Morris is a really good friend of a friend.

Great OP and many thanks for your words

I agree with most you say except the away kit!
Fluorescent shirts all the way for me ! Great away days in these colours

All the best in the play offs IF you get there , personally cant see past villa or west brom winning and must admit I hate the FL love in but the Leeds love in is unacceptable!!
And yep boro are just shit in every way and appalling to watch , hopefully pulis will skulk off to lower leagues soon enough

I'd like one of the clubs who haven't taken the piss out of FFP to go up so anyone other than Derby or Villa.

We only want Middlesbrough up as They are the weakest of the lot. Derby with Lampard and his connections would get the players he wants, Villa will be able to strengthen with ease. Leeds - well nobody wants Leeds promoted do they.

Thanks for the pat on the back.

Also let Frank know we are very gratefull for him signing Waghorn because we got Oh David McGoldrick.

Still think The Hobbit at Bristol City will nick promotion,but if they dont i hope Derby do just to piss on Notts Forest chips.

I'd like one of the clubs who haven't taken the piss out of FFP to go up so anyone other than Derby or Villa.
Can understand that to a point ..surprised you don't mention Wednesday in that statement ..and I believe their spending is being eye-balled by the Suits , as well as us and the Villa

Back
Top Bottom