Congratulations Lucky Sheffield United

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Three things DerbyDave l...

(A) I like DCFC. Anyone who hates Forest and doesn’t like the Pigs is fine in my eyes. Plus your support is top drawer.
(B) I’m not sure on Fat Frank, has he done owt more than your last gaffer? Seems a little overhyped to me.
(C) Our fluorescent shirt is different gravy.

Regards your points.

1: Regards luck, we feel we’ve been unlucky during the season, should be on many more points, having conceded loads of last second goals denied 2 points each game against Stoke, Rotherham, Aston Villa, Millwall. Where as both Leeds and Norwich have scored last minute goals in several matches. For example Leeds were losing on 90 minutes at home to Blackburn, then they score 2 injury time goals to pinch an unlikely 3 points. We’ve been leading for many more minutes than any team in the Championship.

2: We like Bramall Lane too, it’s far from perfect but has tradition and character.
I went to the Baseball ground in the 80’s and remember the stands being so close to the pitch making the atmosphere better, the players almost had no run up to take a throw in.

3: Agree, we want the stripes on the back, the current kit makes us look too much like Fulham (from the back)

4: Agree about the away kit, however we’ve generally had some good times/ promotions playing in a fluorescent yellow away kit, as though it’s a lucky omen, probably explains why many of our fans seem to prefer it.

5: Regards Boro, agree they are both limited and boring, although they are organised and defensively strong. If you love the game then you wouldn’t want Boro promoted but if you want United to stay up, then Boro and Bristol City should be the weakest teams in the PL if they gain promotion, so it gives us a better chance. Also the Boro fans are probably the most down to earth and negative out of the promotion pack (they remind me of us). Leeds and Villa generally have horribly arrogant fans but give Derby, WBA, Bristol C a chance and they’ll all be arrogant too. Don’t normally mind DC as a club but really dislike the bias media love-in towards Frank Lampard.

6: Believe it or not Warnock (and to a degree McCabe) aren’t universally lauded by all our fans. Many remember the great performances under Warnock but we also remember the shockingly bad performances under Warnock too. We also remember the string of excuses when ever we lost. Chris Wilder is in a totally different league to Warnock, he doesn’t make excuses and often praises the opposition. Incredibly poor performances are very rare, we are amazingly consistent under Wilder. We also play the best style of football I’ve seen in 42 years, no individuals but such a well drilled TEAM playing quick passing football.

7: Thanks for the support. We’ve had some tough times, 6 years in shitty league 1 was depressing, hence this promotion means so much to us, especially as it’s happened with passionate Sheffield United fans owning, managing and captaining the club.

In the space of 3 years Chris Wilder has transformed us from one of the worse sides in our entire history to the best team I’ve seen at the Lane. It’s almost like witnessing a miracle and i’ll never forget it.
I think that is absolutely spot on. Sheffsteel you have read my mind.

Good post Derby Dave.
Don't mind Derby County FC at all.
Serious dislike of FLDCFC!!
Good luck, hope you get a proper manager soon, rather than a primped media darling. You can't have Wilder though

I've never had any feelings either way for Derby, one of those "meh" clubs for me.

Grateful that Fat Frank gazumped us for Waghorn and we settled for Didzy and I can't stand the way he "leads the bounce", reminds me of those piggy bastards!

The Blades wanting boring Boro promoted are probably only saying so to give us a good chance of 6 points next season!

who do I want to win the play-offs.....out of the 4 currently there, probably Derby actually, (unless Bristol City sneak in) but for no other reason than I can't stand Leeds, Villa have constantly flounted FFP and seem to be getting away with it, (same could be said for Derby though) and Dwight Gayle/Jay Rodriguez......(cheating bastards).

Try watching the first 41 minutes of the game again.
After scoring in the 19th second of the game you didn't have a kick until after we'd equalised in the 41st minute.

I'm not saying we didn't deserve to get beat because we sat back and settled for 1-1 instead of continuing with what we were doing.

The change in tactics at your place was so obvious that we could have ended up 3-1 down between the 42nd and 45th minute.

It's something that used to happen occasionally, we'd get in front or get an equaliser and then try to shut the game out, it doesn't work for us, never has done, never will. If we gave a team 5 minutes possession we'd concede, being 3-0 up at Villa with ten minutes to go and ending up drawing shows that. Thankfully the team learned that the only way to win a game was to go out and win the fucker. And apart from a very rare occasion that's what they've done

I'd like to see Derby promoted, I absolutely detest Forest as much as Wendy

Congrats to Sheffield United on their fantastic achievement . I was at Derby earlier in the season when we beat you , I didn't really think you looked good enough for promotion , but delighted to be proven wrong

As a Ram , you'd appreciate my glee also at seeing Dirty Leeds completely balls up automatic promotion for themselves

I am Derby through and through , but have always had a lot of affection for the Blades , reasons I've stated previously (TC a Quality goal From a Quality Player , When Saturday Comes , The Full Monty etc, etc )

The "Lucky" in my topic title is strictly tongue in cheek , ever since everything possible went wrong to relegate you in 2007 , from a seemingly safe position in the table 10 games out ....it has appeared luck has been totally against you

It was bad enough being relegated by a goal , Webber hitting the post , when it looked easier to score in that fateful last game , home to Wigan , that protected species , West Ham winning games they never would have without the illegal signing of Carlos Tevez , Fulham beating Liverpool due to the reds resting their entire first team ..and on and on
Missing out on promotion back to the Premiership on penalties at Wembley , then bombing out in yet more play-offs .
One single bad season and its down to League 1 . Promotion from that division virtually in the bag with Ched Evans scoring every week ...and then , well we know what happened then , you couldn't make this stuff up , seriously ? , some bastard has cursed Sheffield United , there is no other plausible explanation !
Then along comes Chris Wilder ... beautiful work Mr McCabe , your finest hour

Just a couple of other thoughts

Enjoy Bramall Lane , I've always liked it , proper Football Stadium
We moved to Pride Park , nice and modern , civilised bogs , good views , nice inner area to have a pie and a pint whilst watching Sky Sports..do we prefer it to the run down , ramshackle old Baseball Ground ? ..no we do not

Get your bloody stripes back on the back of your Home shirts

Do get that Black and Red strip as your new 2nd shirt , it looks brilliant . I personally hate fluorescent Yellow / green strips , they look hideous and have nothing to do with the Clubs traditional colours . I do however understand some sentiment , after all it is now associated with success

Do Sheffield United (some) really want Middlesbrough promoted ? , they send me to sleep , as do all Tony Pulis led sides , a more boring club with possible exceptions of Stoke and Reading , I cannot imagine

Kevin McCabe , Neil Warnock ? ..I'd always speak well of them , not perfect of course (who is ?) , but both Men cared deeply for Sheffield United Football Club , that is always worthy of respect I think

Good luck Lads , hopefully Derby (although its a long shot ) will be in the Promised Land with you .
If not , well finally , I have a Club I actually like to cheer on in the Prem next season
Thank you for one of the finest posts to ever be posted on this forum.

Appreciate the comments.

all the play off sides each has their pros and cons, agree on Boro, they just haven’t been good enough.

Derby have been a strange side, started steadily, picked up a bit and then dropped off completely after we beat you in December. Your recent surge of form suggests that you might be an outside bet for the play offs.

Leeds, I think they’ve bottled it. They seem to have lost focus and just worried about everyone else instead of themselves. Fantastic to watch on their day though.

And then its Villa and West Brom, the two strongest sides in the play off slots and the two you wouldn’t want to face... but only one will make it to the final as they play each other. Presuming Leeds don’t lose to Ipswich on Sunday

“Kevin McCabe , Neil Warnock ? ..I'd always speak well of them”

Not words you read on here every day.

Congrats to Sheffield United on their fantastic achievement . I was at Derby earlier in the season when we beat you , I didn't really think you looked good enough for promotion , but delighted to be proven wrong

As a Ram , you'd appreciate my glee also at seeing Dirty Leeds completely balls up automatic promotion for themselves

I am Derby through and through , but have always had a lot of affection for the Blades , reasons I've stated previously (TC a Quality goal From a Quality Player , When Saturday Comes , The Full Monty etc, etc )

The "Lucky" in my topic title is strictly tongue in cheek , ever since everything possible went wrong to relegate you in 2007 , from a seemingly safe position in the table 10 games out ....it has appeared luck has been totally against you

It was bad enough being relegated by a goal , Webber hitting the post , when it looked easier to score in that fateful last game , home to Wigan , that protected species , West Ham winning games they never would have without the illegal signing of Carlos Tevez , Fulham beating Liverpool due to the reds resting their entire first team ..and on and on
Missing out on promotion back to the Premiership on penalties at Wembley , then bombing out in yet more play-offs .
One single bad season and its down to League 1 . Promotion from that division virtually in the bag with Ched Evans scoring every week ...and then , well we know what happened then , you couldn't make this stuff up , seriously ? , some bastard has cursed Sheffield United , there is no other plausible explanation !

We moved to Pride Park , nice and modern , civilised bogs , good views , nice inner area to have a pie and a pint whilst watching Sky Sports..do we prefer it to the run down , ramshackle old Baseball Ground ? ..no we do not

Do get that Black and Red strip as your new 2nd shirt , it looks brilliant . I personally hate fluorescent Yellow / green strips , they look hideous and have nothing to do with the Clubs traditional colours . I do however understand some sentiment , after all it is now associated with success

Do Sheffield United (some) really want Middlesbrough promoted ? , they send me to sleep , as do all Tony Pulis led sides , a more boring club with possible exceptions of Stoke and Reading , I cannot imagine

Kevin McCabe , Neil Warnock ? ..I'd always speak well of them , not perfect of course (who is ?) , but both Men cared deeply for Sheffield United Football Club , that is always worthy of respect I think

Good luck Lads , hopefully Derby (although its a long shot ) will be in the Promised Land with you .
If not , well finally , I have a Club I actually like to cheer on in the Prem next season

Good to see - obviously a Derby fan, but a fan of football also.

PS: I'm glad you "beat" us to Waghorn :) and good luck in the PO if you get there.

Nice post, thanks. Only one issue;

"..do we prefer it to the run down , ramshackle old Baseball Ground ? ..no we do not"

Give me the baseball ground, any day. Top stadium and sadly missed. :(

Thank you for one of the finest posts to ever be posted on this forum.

Appreciate the comments.

all the play off sides each has their pros and cons, agree on Boro, they just haven’t been good enough.

Derby have been a strange side, started steadily, picked up a bit and then dropped off completely after we beat you in December. Your recent surge of form suggests that you might be an outside bet for the play offs.

Leeds, I think they’ve bottled it. They seem to have lost focus and just worried about everyone else instead of themselves. Fantastic to watch on their day though.

And then its Villa and West Brom, the two strongest sides in the play off slots and the two you wouldn’t want to face... but only one will make it to the final as they play each other. Presuming Leeds don’t lose to Ipswich on Sunday

You're too kind , cheers
I hate the bloody play-offs , Derbys record in them is about as good as Sheffield United ..in a word , dismal ..infact its hard to think of any clubs with a worse record in them ?

Can understand that to a point ..surprised you don't mention Wednesday in that statement ..and I believe their spending is being eye-balled by the Suits , as well as us and the Villa

Even though Chansiri probably still hasn't given up, I don't have them as being in contention at this stage :) .

You're right though, they seem to be the other one of the three.

Derby County, Notts Forest, Leeds United and Brian Clough - classic "Only Connect" stuff of legend.

I like Derby County if only for their hatred of Notts Forest. I love Leeds United for being such arrogant twats and throwing away a possible meal-ticket to permanent top 6/top-table status by ejecting Brian Clough.
I like Derby County even more for their hatred of Leeds United.

Agree with all your points DerbyDave .

Isn't it strange that everybody (except the Quest 'pundits') utterly hates Leeds? It's a bit late Leeds/Bielsa coming all over all 'moral'. About 50 years too fucking late.

Maybe because given the amount of managers Leeds turn over, the pundits hope their turn will come................

You're too kind , cheers
I hate the bloody play-offs , Derbys record in them is about as good as Sheffield United ..in a word , dismal ..infact its hard to think of any clubs with a worse record in them ?

Leeds record isn’t great is it either! Does anyone have a 100% play off record when they’ve played more than one play off season?

I loved Wilders comment this week, he stated he was so glad not to be doing the play offs!

1: Regards luck, we feel we’ve been unlucky during the season, should be on many more points, having conceded loads of last second goals denied 2 points each game against Stoke, Rotherham, Aston Villa, Millwall.

I don’t think “we” feel unlucky in that regard at all. Or at least I don’t. Late goals aren’t about luck unless you’re talking a bad penalty decision or a freak goal.

Stoke - fell into the Crouch trap.
Villa - we made a while series of mistakes.
Rotherham - another mistake, this time after a crap performance.
Millwall - our shape had gone for 25 minutes beforehand.

Having Evans wrongfully locked up on the brink of promotion is pretty unlucky. West Ham cheating with utter impunity was a killer.

But late goals - nah.

Very good OP. A supporter who knows about football and not just about the confines of his own club. Few and far between nowadays.

Just for the record - the best signing Derby ever made was Willie Carlin in August 1968. Just look at Derby results prior to him leaving us and those after he joined Derby.

The film 'Damned United' used the signing of Dave McKay as the catalyst but it was Clough's inspirational signing of Carlin that set you on the way to all that success.

Back
Top Bottom