Complete overhaul needed

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

BobblesBlade

Reaction score
4-1-3-2

GK Ramsdale
DR Bogle
DC Egan
DC O’Connell
DL ???????

DMC Berge

MR ???????
ML ???????
MCA ??????

ATT????????
ATT????????

4-1-3-2

GK Ramsdale
DR Bogle
DC Egan
DC O’Connell
DL ???????

DMC Berge

MR ???????
ML ???????
MCA ??????

ATT????????
ATT????????
Egan and Berge will not be here next season, one might be still injured so that leaves 2

Agreed that we ened at least 5+ new players but will that happen

I thought Stevens played well today. I've seen a lot of people writing him off, understandable given that he's had a bad season, but was one of our best players for near enough two years before that - I'm not convinced he's finished yet.

Let’s not get too carried away, these players have served us well in the past, they can’t all suddenly be so poor. A new manager can get them playing with confidence again and as a team, some will leave, others will come in but I don’t want too many changes until most of this lot have had the opportunity to prove themselves again.

We have RND, Lowe, Stevens or Robinson to play left back (and Osborn if we persist with wing backs), even with an overhaul we don't need any more.

I hope Stevens can pick up his form. Having seen RND playing for Stoke he always looks like a booking waiting to happen. Is Lowe a left back? Without criticising Osborn and Robinson we need better even a division below.

Let’s not get too carried away, these players have served us well in the past, they can’t all suddenly be so poor. A new manager can get them playing with confidence again and as a team, some will leave, others will come in but I don’t want too many changes until most of this lot have had the opportunity to prove themselves again.
Sorry but past it and become poor is not good enough. They’ve suddenly become poor because they are past it. Said it before: clean sweep with a very large broom.

Making wholesale changes will only put us in a mess. Sure get rid of all players that have played 2 seasons of premier league football, the same players that finished in the top half of the championship twice and replace them with who? An entire squad of over inflated championship signings or a bunch of 2nd string foreign players due to Brexit restrictions who have no idea of what it’s like to play championship football or appreciate the clubs history/fan base. What was the saying ”we have our club back“ going down the latter route will guarantee the opposite.

In terms of the current playing squads ability to compete, which one is it:

1. A higher percentage of teams in championship are now as good as the Sheffield United side that went up despite the fact we have played at a higher level.

2. The premier league makes footballers worse players

A reset is not required in this situation, people are going off like we’re Wendy. The core needs to resemble a close reflection to what worked last season. Without doubt we will lose players but, clever addition and, if so tactical tweaks are what we need. Let’s learn from our mistakes rather than overhauling and creating a whole new way of making new mistakes, leaving us all scratching our heads next season when we’ve done nothing but float around in mid table.

4-1-3-2

GK Ramsdale
DR Bogle
DC Egan
DC O’Connell
DL ???????

DMC Berge

MR ???????
ML ???????
MCA ??????

ATT????????
ATT????????
And you would drop Bash, our most consistent player because.........?
DL is RND.
Baldock will be in defence, and still one of the best rwb in the champ.
Osborn in the midfield with Fleck and or Ndiye/Brunt.
Berge centre mid if he stays.
On paper we will have the best attack in the league, in reality we need to cut our loses or change the system.
The main thing is to get a new gaffer in and start over.

We can't afford an overhaul. Simply put. And even if we could, we'd finish mid table and fans would want the manager's head.

But atleast we will be back at the Lane!!!!

Sorry but past it and become poor is not good enough. They’ve suddenly become poor because they are past it. Said it before: clean sweep with a very large broom.

I understand what you’re getting at, but what parameters are you judging them against. Spot on if you mean a comparison with premier league standard. But history and now additional experience of a higher division would suggest these players would be more than capable of a top end finish in the championship.

Let's not forget there's a huge gap in quality now between Premier and Championship. As much as I've critisised the players over these last few months (mainly through sheer frustration) but if we can keep the bulk of the players and by bringing in a new midfield, plus the introduction of some of the U23's, I believe we are good to go. The final piece of the jigsaw will be a new leader who can motivate the squad and give them back the belief they had two years ago. As we now know, they are not Premier quality, but they are top Championship quality. Let's get back up and then face that problem upon our return. Hopefully by then the Prince may be in a far better position to finance another shot at Premier stability.
Over to you now Prince A, let's get that appointment right.

4-1-3-2

GK Ramsdale
DR Bogle
DC Egan
DC O’Connell
DL ???????

DMC Berge

MR ???????
ML ???????
MCA ??????

ATT????????
ATT????????
Even if we do adopt a new formation, something said to be not the board's preference, you've got Fleck who can play left midfield, Burke right midfield or as an attacking mid, and up front we've got more than enough quality already up there for the Championship. Norwood will do a job next season in the Champ, he's much better in that league and will be playing in a winning team most weeks.

We'll need 3/4 new players, Norwood may well be a casulty of that, but the bulk of the team is already here. We're also fine for Left back/left wing back with RND, Lowe and Stevens in that league. If we get JOC fit the defence will be transformed down that side, if not I'm sure we can recruit quality with our budget for the Champ.

The manager appointment is the most important bit, recruitment should be much easier in the league below and players this season drained of confidence will look back to their best next season.

The rest of the league has been starved of income for over a year bar the teams that come down with us, and Fulham and WBA are heavily reliant on loan players and I would expect both to lose one or two of their better players such as Periera at WBA and Angiussa at Fulham.

It's not doom and gloom or time for a complete overhaul. The time for an overhaul as an example was when Harry left in 96 when the whole team was knackered and too old, bar Blake and Kelly. Norwicj only got 21 points last season and they're romping it this season.

I understand what you’re getting at, but what parameters are you judging them against. Spot on if you mean a comparison with premier league standard. But history and now additional experience of a higher division would suggest these players would be more than capable of a top end finish in the championship.
Next season we will be a championship team and that has to be the comparison . Not for one minute would we beat Norwich City, they are the yardstick,went down came straight back and with ease. That team last night will not do the same,as for the subs bench, wow, very poor. If we don’t get rid of the majority of this squad we are in for a struggle, all next season.
Just hope the new management team understands what’s required and act quickly. Only my opinion so probably wrong?.

Don’t understand how you can assess the strikers this season when we literally create, at best, a chance a game. McBurnie and Brewster are proven at Championship level. Throw in McGoldrick and Sharp and I think that’s arguably the strongest strikeforce in the division.

We need a number 10 and a couple of midfielders. Then we need to replace the outgoing players, though IMHO there shouldn’t be any first XI sales apart from Berge.

We need a cull of the squad and out of contract players. Then we need to bring in a 2 or 3 in midfield, a decent big lad at the back, and a big strong forward to give us height and presence up top for an alternative. Maybe a winger too. Slater comes back from Hull (started for em again yesterday) and Freeman coming back from Forest might also be considered again.

Id be looking at 6 or 7 in to freshen it up, along with getting the best of the younger lads starting games.

Out would go
Lazy Lunny, Jags (coaching role?), Ampadu (back to Chelsea), Simon Moore, Injured Rodwell, and Kean Bryan (not good enough).

Try and move on Moose, Jack Robinson, and sell Berge for as much as we can get if the money is too good to turn down.

So maybe 7 in and 9 out.

Let's not forget there's a huge gap in quality now between Premier and Championship. As much as I've critisised the players over these last few months (mainly through sheer frustration) but if we can keep the bulk of the players and by bringing in a new midfield, plus the introduction of some of the U23's, I believe we are good to go. The final piece of the jigsaw will be a new leader who can motivate the squad and give them back the belief they had two years ago. As we now know, they are not Premier quality, but they are top Championship quality. Let's get back up and then face that problem upon our return. Hopefully by then the Prince may be in a far better position to finance another shot at Premier stability.
Over to you now Prince A, let's get that appointment right.
Agree 100% with this post , we arnt as bad as the table suggests its apparent what a difference fans make to us especially home games.The percentage of drop off due to lack of push from the fans is hard to measure ,no doubt its had a big effect on our performances especially at home.
The gap in quality has always been there,the lift fans gives us bridges that gap to a certain degree.
Once we started losing matches( which was from match 1) the confidence slowly drained away bereft of that and the inspiration of fans the writing was on the wall.
Let's not dwell on a nightmare season brought about by circumstances beyond our control and of course a lack of quality and depth to our squad not forgetting a lot of injuries to key players.
What of next season?
We are not a million miles short of having a go next season ,surgery and improvements in certain areas have to be made of course.New manager will know all about us and given the right support should be able to build a squad to have a crack.
We all have opinions on our demise but empty stadiums no doubt is a massive factor with quality a close 2nd.
Midfield is our weakest area it has to be changed with more pace and nous.Our stats are up there with Leeds for miles covered unfortunately we have too many
One paced players in our squad ,pace is massive in football today.

If we are wanting an overhaul of players we need investment it’s the only way to do it.

And you would drop Bash, our most consistent player because.........?
DL is RND.
Baldock will be in defence, and still one of the best rwb in the champ.
Osborn in the midfield with Fleck and or Ndiye/Brunt.
Berge centre mid if he stays.
On paper we will have the best attack in the league, in reality we need to cut our loses or change the system.
The main thing is to get a new gaffer in and start over.
If we change the system then we lose Bash. So you’ve answered your own question there Bed.

Ill stick something debatable in, i think Bryan should be retained and played. First of all yesterday he went AWOL for the goal but he has serious pace and pace in defence as well as attack is a tremendous asset. I think with more game time he will prove to be a good player, and remember hes really learning his trade in the hardest league in the world

Whoever we end up with and whatever formation we play, for god’s sake let’s get some pace and energy in the team. The way we break away from defence and then try and attack is painful to watch.
I agree but ideally they should be able to control a football as well. Burke is/looks great without the ball, when he has it its a different story 😂 although I do believe if we change our shape to play with wide players he would absolutely destroy every full back in the championship, he's much better facing the play from wide areas rather than back to goal through the middle.

Back
Top Bottom