Competitive league or Poor league?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Berkshire Blade

Reaction score
With us and Burnley having a decent sized gap to 3rd many as pointing to evidence that it's a poorer than normal championship.

It could be argued it's the most competitive ever ( at this stage) as the gap from the Play offs to the relegation zone is the same.

Two of the promoted sides from league one are down the bottom and two of the relegated from the premier league are way off the promotion slots right now.

I am undecided!

With us and Burnley having a decent sized gap to 3rd many as pointing to evidence that it's a poorer than normal championship.

It could be argued it's the most competitive ever ( at this stage) as the gap from the Play offs to the relegation zone is the same.

Two of the promoted sides from league one are down the bottom and two of the relegated from the premier league are way off the promotion slots right now.

I am undecided!
Can't it be both?

On paper it looks like Burnley and us are running away with it but on the evidence I've seen so far there's very little between most of the teams. Even the teams at the bottom end have given us a hard time and it's only our quality in certain positions that have given us the edge in some one goal wins.

I think it's competitive and poor, or good :)
Apart from us and Burnley, there's not much between the rest which makes it competitive.
There's not actually THAT much between the top 2 and the rest.
We hammered Burnley at home, Rotherham beat us at home.
As Hecky keeps saying, we have to respect every team we come up against as there are no 'bad ' teams, but there are teams who have an off day, or set up wrong tactically.
We (and Burnley) have players with that extra bit of something that can turn games.
Blackburn are a classic example of having limited quality. Bereton-Diaz is on form, Blackburn are on form.
If not...well, look at their results.
Sunderland, WBA and Boro are looking good at the moment, the latter 2 particularly were hopeless until a change of manager.
There's a way to go yet before we will know who turned out to be head and shoulders above the rest...if any.

Earlier in the season I would’ve said that it’s more competitive with sides like Blackburn, QPR, Watford and Norwich all having a go. They’ve seemed to have faltered though as ourselves and Burnley pull away.

Boro and Sunderland now seem to be on good runs.

Is it competitive? Yes, certainly. Though in this busy spell of games the top two are seemingly pulling away.

I don’t think we’ll maintain a big gap, top two drop points

What constitutes a poor league? Surely that’s when the teams from the league below storm the league?

I

I think its pretty poor to be honest
Dont think burnley are great shakes and lets be honest weve strolled into the auto spots even though weve picked a patched up side most of the season

norwich watford boro and west brom are probably the greatest threat but barring us playing like a relegation team they are all too far behind now

i just cant see us not picking up enough points now in such an ordinary league

I'm going for competitive , so many teams on there day can win. Think it boils down to consistency. We have been excluding October were I think complacency was our downfall. Let's kick on and if we do lose a game win the next 2.

The top 4 in that year we went up under Wilder in 18/19 are all a country mile ahead of any other team in this division atm, us and Burnley aside of course.

It may be more competitive but the teams at the top are definitely a level below previous seasons.

This thread is probably based on the pigs saying this. This is a good video from Benjamin Bloom that everyone should watch tbh. I'm probably a bit behind when it comes to watching his stuff but found this video very informative. Take last year... Fulham and Bournemouth took a very early lead. When we went up, it was Norwich, us and Leeds. Norwich never looked in doubt all season. Anyway, check out the video, he discusses it better.

Worst Championship ever, on par with the 18/19 season when we got promoted for the worst ever actually. It’s a shame because the season before the 18/19 season, it was one of the leading divisions in Europe. But, for now, we can only beat what’s in front of us. Because every team in it is shit, it is at least very competitive

Every season people say it’s ‘the worst championship ever’ yet most teams have at least 1 or 2 top quality players that could play prem football- it’s getting more competitive because teams are risking more investment for the chance of promotion.

The league is always decent quality.
Just sometimes you have a few better teams in it.

For me last season wasn't that much different but league didn't look the same. Forest nearly caught Bournemouth.

When we went up that seemed a tougher league. Norwich, us, Leeds, Brentford, derby and villa all seemed quite strong. Some more than others.

Teams are better organized than ever,no easy wins,defencibly much improved. So much talent around,lots loanplayers making impacts. Stop the loan scheme and the league is way down. Managers are getting better so the trainers,moving legs footballs no 1 makes it hardere as fitness is better than ever. Championship is probably europes hardest league. No other level 2 league goes live around the world. Proud of our team. Live around the world last three and next at qpr. UTB

You can't really judge the quality of a league by the results or the table within it because it's all relative.

The best way is to look at 3 things-
The performance of promoted teams from L1
The performance of promoted teams in the Prem (however you have to wait until the following season), or at cup results vs Prem teams.

Or just the eye test, mixed with a few stats. Are teams giving the ball away cheaply, or are they adept at maintaining possession and building pressure. You see this in the Prem/CL where both are quality sides that can do this, and it's just a matter of who can take their chances.

Clearly this is a competitive league this year as no-one's cut adrift and everyone from 3rd-16th is close, points wise, to the playoff positions.
I dont think either us or Burnley hits the highs the likes of Fulham did last year, but we're both clearly a step above the rest so far.

I wouldnt say it's a poor league. More that the median & base levels are higher but the top level (quantity and quality of auto promo candidates) is not as high as it has been in some other years.

Competitive based on how close those at the near the bottom of the table, mid table, are to play off places, apart from us and B running away with it currently. We like to give our fans a rollercoaster when we should have game over.....Blades way but roll on! This is the way to the land of milk and honey. COYRAWW!.

The top 4 in that year we went up under Wilder in 18/19 are all a country mile ahead of any other team in this division atm, us and Burnley aside of course.

It may be more competitive but the teams at the top are definitely a level below previous seasons.
We have a better squad now than then.

Radio Sheffield / Football Heaven presenters a few months ago were putting forward the idea that it was a poor / weak division due to the fact not one or two teams were building up a huge lead.

Now that we reach the half way stage and 2 teams are pulling away we have others saying it's a poor / weak league because of this.

If you believe the Football Heaven argument it probably means the Scottish Premier league is the best / strongest in Europe.

The true measurement should be based upon the quality of football played. That's subjective and 'in the eye of the beholder..'

The fact that it is so competitive means that it will only take a low total for automatic. I think 83 points will be easily enough.

At Christmas there is always two or three clubs that are way ahead of the rest

Back
Top Bottom