Cardiff City v. Sheffield United - 15/08/17

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

So after the narrow defeat at Middlesbrough on Saturday, we're back on the road with the long trip to Cardiff. Colin's side have started the season in excellent fashion, along with an impressive 3-0 victory over Villa on Saturday. For me this is a tougher game than the one we faced Saturday due the fact that Cardiff seem to have started in excellent form. However they have never in their entire history won their opening 3 league games..... ;)

Anyway....

Any team news? :)

Unchanged from Saturday?

Or a slight shuffle of the deck? :)

Ched to get some game time in Wales? :)

We all know the disappointment of the manner in which we were denied a late equalizer at the weekend, but we can take heart from the fact we remained in the game until the final whistle. Anything similar tonight would be very welcome but Warnock's record against us since he left is excellent. Can't really see beyond a Cardiff win, perhaps 2-1. Really can't see us scoring more than one so if we are to get any positive result it will need an excellent defensive performance to secure it. Not saying to play defensive by any means, I just mean the defence will need to be on top of it's game......

Anyway safe journey folks, and I hope we get something for the travelling faithful

UTCB

Blackman

Freeman
Basham
Stearman
JOC
Stevens

Coutts
Fleck
Carruthers

Duffy

Clarke

Subs: Eastwood, Evans, Thomas, Brayford, Lundstram, Brooks, Sharp

I'd go with on up top, I've gone for Clarke mainly because I can see us kicking it long again if under pressure, If I could be sure that we would try and play it more like we did the second half last Saturday I'd start Sharp.

We need to do something about the lack of service, which Sharp really suffered from, and I think getting both Duff and Carruthers starting will help.

Thomas gets on the bench for me, he has some pace so I would even consider giving him a go up top at some point, he's shown he can score. He also provides LWB cover so no need for Lafferty.

Like Wilder does, I would like to see Freeman and Stevens pushing on, the above makes it look like I want 5 at the back.

Blackman

Freeman
Basham
Stearman
JOC
Stevens

Coutts
Fleck
Carruthers

Duffy

Clarke

Subs: Eastwood, Evans, Thomas, Brayford, Lundstram, Brooks, Sharp

I'd go with on up top, I've gone for Clarke mainly because I can see us kicking it long again if under pressure, If I could be sure that we would try and play it more like we did the second half last Saturday I'd start Sharp.

We need to do something about the lack of service, which Sharp really suffered from, and I think getting both Duff and Carruthers starting will help.

Thomas gets on the bench for me, he has some pace so I would even consider giving him a go up top at some point, he's shown he can score. He also provides LWB cover so no need for Lafferty.

Like Wilder does, I would like to see Freeman and Stevens pushing on, the above makes it look like I want 5 at the back.
We're shit when we go long though, why encourage it? And why play three central midfielders if we're going long? We've just narrowly lost a game, is there really any need to start changing things around? This is what Adkins started doing; constantly changing things.

We're shit when we go long though, why encourage it? And why play three central midfielders if we're going long? We've just narrowly lost a game, is there really any need to start changing things around? This is what Adkins started doing; constantly changing things.

We are shit when we go long I agree.

I prefer to not see it as encouraging it . By putting Duffy on and having an extra man in midfield, I'm hopeful we may be able to offer more options to pass to rather than our players thinking kick it long. However I've picked Clarke as if we do go long he's better than Sharp at the target man role.

We're not the Star team of the league this year, unfortuntely, I feel we need to approach each game on it's individual merits and do what is required to get something from it.

Against Barnsley at home, for example, I would be playing our regular formation with 2 up top.

The problem with Adkins constatntly changing things was he had no plan and no idea how to get the players to play for him, I'm pretty sure CW isn't suffering the same issue.

I don't get this "really any need to start changing thigs around?" question, we change things around most games, how many times last season did we change shape during matches. Part of the modern game IMO.

We are shit when we go long I agree.

I prefer to not see it as encouraging it . By putting Duffy on and having an extra man in midfield, I'm hopeful we may be able to offer more options to pass to rather than our players thinking kick it long. However I've picked Clarke as if we do go long he's better than Sharp at the target man role.

We're not the Star team of the league this year, unfortuntely, I feel we need to approach each game on it's individual merits and do what is required to get something from it.

Against Barnsley at home, for example, I would be playing our regular formation with 2 up top.

The problem with Adkins constatntly changing things was he had no plan and no idea how to get the players to play for him, I'm pretty sure CW isn't suffering the same issue.

I don't get this "really any need to start changing thigs around?" question, we change things around most games, how many times last season did we change shape during matches. Part of the modern game IMO.
True but we've probably worked on the changes we make on the training ground, so the players understand what they're supposed to do. We won't have had time to do that since Saturday. If it's something CW and AK have considered and worked on previously (which may be the case) then fine.

But I don't think we have the right players to play one up unless we continue to play the ball through the midfield, it will reduce our attacking threat, and if we're tempted to hit long balls to Clarke, we'll keep losing possession because we don't get players close enough to him, just as a lot of balls to Hanson get wasted. That said, it might get us a point, which I'd be happy with.

True but we've probably worked on the changes we make on the training ground, so the players understand what they're supposed to do. We won't have had time to do that since Saturday. If it's something CW and AK have considered and worked on previously (which may be the case) then fine.

But I don't think we have the right players to play one up unless we continue to play the ball through the midfield, it will reduce our attacking threat, and if we're tempted to hit long balls to Clarke, we'll keep losing possession because we don't get players close enough to him, just as a lot of balls to Hanson get wasted. That said, it might get us a point, which I'd be happy with.

I might be wrong but I think we played one up top in one of the pre-season games, but if they haven't worked on it I would agree may be a bit of an ask.

I would be hopeful that we should be able to get nearer to Clarke by having two playing in behind him, if not it's really going to be no different to playing Sharp with him as that certainly doesn't work when we go long. They're usually that far apart they're in different postcodes.

I also agree about the right players to play it, but out of the two I think Clarke is more suited than Sharp. Currently I think we're relatively easy to defend against. We don't have anyone with the pace to get in behind so the oppo defenders can squeeze us a bit higher up the pitch which contributes to us going long, if we had someone they needed to worry about getting in behind I think that would help immeasurably by providing a bit more space for midfield to be able to play like we know they can.

I'd be more than happy with a point tonight, coupled with the 3 I'd expect us to get Saturday gives us an excellent return of 7 points from the first 4 games. Thats promotion stats ;)

I might be wrong but I think we played one up top in one of the pre-season games, but if they haven't worked on it I would agree may be a bit of an ask.

I would be hopeful that we should be able to get nearer to Clarke by having two playing in behind him, if not it's really going to be no different to playing Sharp with him as that certainly doesn't work when we go long. They're usually that far apart they're in different postcodes.

I also agree about the right players to play it, but out of the two I think Clarke is more suited than Sharp. Currently I think we're relatively easy to defend against. We don't have anyone with the pace to get in behind so the oppo defenders can squeeze us a bit higher up the pitch which contributes to us going long, if we had someone they needed to worry about getting in behind I think that would help immeasurably by providing a bit more space for midfield to be able to play like we know they can.

I'd be more than happy with a point tonight, coupled with the 3 I'd expect us to get Saturday gives us an excellent return of 7 points from the first 4 games. Thats promotion stats ;)
Don't know tbh, only saw Malaga, on a tablet.

Stick to what we know, one defeat to predicted champions after a lapse of concentration at the back and a wrongly ruled out equaliser does not a bad formation make.

Its what we know, its what we've played well with, it's the best fit with the players we've got. Plus Cardiff are clinical, fast on the break and creative - we're likely to need 3 at the back with wing backs to slot in. Ideally we'd be as expensive and explosive as they are with pace up top, but we don't have that so we need to stick to what we know.

Carruthers was combative and provided plenty of industry versus Boro but without much creativity of retention of possession. I'd swap him for Duffy. I'd go:

Blackman

Freeman
Basham
Stearman
O'Connell
Stevens

Coutts
Fleck
Duffy

Sharp
Clarke

...and really take the game to them.

Can't imagine any changes to the starting 11 from Saturday. Duffy may come in for Samir but that will be it.

Looks like the Blades fans have arrived in Cardiff
3B579D3700000578-4028168-The_fall_of_Aleppo_would_be_the_rebel_s_worst_defeat_of_the_civi-a-30_1481671982395.jpg

Shitters twitching now, got a bad feeling about tonight, hate losing to Warnock!!!

Can't imagine any changes to the starting 11 from Saturday. Duffy may come in for Samir but that will be it.

I agree with this. I think that's the only likely change and even then I don't think it's likely, if you see what I mean? I thought Carruthers did well for the first hour until he seemed to run out of ideas or energy or both.

Kinell you don't want much do you !

I'd would have liked to have seen Ched start in place of Clarke, but wouldn't have been gutted to see Sharp dropped either.

Surprised as I thought he said there would be changes, but it makes sense at this stage in the season to keep the same team. We've won one, we've lost one, let's see how it goes.

Thought Duffy might have been in for Carruthers, but nowt wrong with keeping it unchanged to maintain confidence rather than knee jerking following an unjust defeat

Nice to see there haven't been any knee-jerk reactions to a marginal loss away at promotion favourites, or rushing players back to start games before they're ready. Unsurprisingly sensible stuff from Wilder.

We lost 3-0 to his QPR in one of Blackwells last games

Nearly drew with the pigs under Blackwell after been 3-0 up and lost one so not much of a barometer for Warnock, more a reflection on how bad Blackie was.

I thought we may go tighter tonight but Wilder obviously wants to stick to his principles.

Look if we lose tonight it is not the end of the world or the season, hardly anyone expected much from the first three games and we already have theee points.

A much better judgement of where we are will be to look what happens in the next two games both of which are at home.

Back
Top Bottom