Can't remember such media ridicule?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Like many, probably most, I expected us to be relegated without looking much like staying up, but I expected better than this. A lot better.

The best we can hope for us to be a yo-yo club but there's little point in that if every other season is going to be as excruciating as this one. I'd hoped we'd put that behind us the last time but no, this is even worse. What's more, the managerial change lacked any attempt at forward-thinking and as improved performances go we've shipped 13 goals in three games, and were lucky it wasn't considerably more in all of them.

Because of where I live I'm the relatively unusual situation of also supporting another side and last year was similar to our own in 20-21 and this year. In that case, in Spain, my other team had even fewer points after 23 games (9) but at least ended up with 25. How many of us would take 25 points now? Keep your hands up while I count.

And we're not even the worst team in major European Leagues this season. Almeria has only 6 points from 23 matches so far in Spain. To be fair to them they've only conceded 5 twice, though.

As for Burnley, who've been left off the hook by our abysmalness, if it wasn't for the 5-0 trouncing we took (and yes, I know we have to include it), then before yesterday they'd have been below us in the league. So we have company (no pun intended), not that you'd think it.

Been watching United since the early 90s and this is the most embarrassing time for me. Yes we had 6 years in league 1 but at least we were always there or there abouts apart from the Adkins season. Even under Adkins we weren’t getting absolutely battered every week. The players and coaching staff are beyond a joke and the manager has selected most of them and is clearly out of his depth. The lot of them need binning.
TBF that just highlights the ever expanding gap between the richer clubs and the rest. Unfortunately we are in the category of the rest and will be until we get a sugar daddy or a corporate style takeover. Even Leicester who were Champions will with all their relative wealth will struggle in the Premier. Luton will be relegated if not this season certainly in the next if they don't get a rich owner. Each season that goes by those that achieve promotion inevitably will struggle and apart of the odd surprise there is a rump of about 14 clubs who will reap the riches of the Premier league to maintain their status ad infinitum.

The media will always stick the boot in, and audiences will always lap it up...... (so long as the target is a scruffy urchin).

Yes, punching down definitely seems to be a thing these days.

This is early days mate..

Get ready, it's not started yet..

They’ve spent about 70-80m more just to be not quite as shit as us! Was it worth it?
Quite. Burnley are getting off remarkably lightly - presumably because Kompany is a member of ‘the Premier League Club’.

Strip out the game at Turf Moor, which brought the curtain down for Hecky, and there is barely a cigarette paper between United and Burnley’s records in their 22 matches against the rest of the division.

Burnley W2 D4 L16 F19 A47 Pts10
United W2 D4 L16 F19 A 54 Pts10

32 years a blade, and this is undoubtedly the most embarrassing time I have experienced, I just turn my phone off match day now as I end up getting a barrage of texts about our shitty, half arsed, not fucking clue performances, it's amazing how we have dropped to this standard after the highs of 4/5 years ago...
I was having this argument with my uncle (in his 60s) on Saturday. He went home and away through the 80s/early 90s.
He said that this is the "worst United team he's ever seen"

My argument to this was that it's nowhere near.
He watched a team get relegated to Division 4, so by default, that is the worst team ever.
I agreed that results-wise, yeah, probably the worst. Its not the worst team though. In my time, the worst team ever was Adkins' team in 2015.

We then got onto strikers. Edwards is his favourite player. "None of these strikers are good enough to lace his boots. He was better than them all"
Erm, really? There's no denying that he was a prolific striker and obviously a fan favourite, but we're talking football in the 1980s. It's moved on soooo far from back then.
The standard of mid-low Championship is probably on par with the top of, what was, Division 1 back then. That's how much the game has progressed.
So in comparison, what is Edwards? He was a prolific goalscorer in the bottom 2 divisions... in the 1980s. Goals-wise, yes! Fantastic player for us, but it's all relative. We were in the bottom 2 divisions back then.

I would also say that this United team would wipe the floor with Warnocks 2007 relegated side.
Again, that's how far football has moved on in the time between.

I was having this argument with my uncle (in his 60s) on Saturday. He went home and away through the 80s/early 90s.

He watched a team get relegated to Division 4, so by default, that is the worst team ever.
I agreed that results-wise, yeah, probably the worst. Its not the worst team though. In my time, the worst team ever was Adkins' team in 2015.

We then got onto strikers. Edwards is his favourite player. "None of these strikers are good enough to lace his boots. He was better than them all"
Erm, really? There's no denying that he was a prolific striker and obviously a fan favourite, but we're talking football in the 1980s. It's moved on soooo far from back then.
The standard of mid-low Championship is probably on par with the top of, what was, Division 1 back then. That's how much the game has progressed.
So in comparison, what is Edwards? He was a prolific goalscorer in the bottom 2 divisions... in the 1980s. Goals-wise, yes! Fantastic player for us, but it's all relative. We were in the bottom 2 divisions back then.

I would also say that this United team would wipe the floor with Warnocks 2007 relegated side.
Think of the players in Warnock’s side. Would you swap any of them for our lot now? I can’t imagine the likes of Morgan and Jags surrendering just after kick-off. Tonge, Gillespie, Claude, would they be worse than our current lot? Monty showed more commitment and desire than any one of our current squad. Paddy Kenny or Wes? No contest.

I agree that football moves on, it always does, but this bunch now have as much strength and integrity as a wet tissue.

Yes, Warnock’s side went down, but they went down fighting. This lot wouldn’t win a punch up against the Brownies.

Listen a bit more to your uncle

Pound for pound , league for league - this is one of the worst Utd teams / certainly on course for our worst season. Ever

Listen a bit more to your uncle

Pound for pound , league for league - this is one of the worst Utd teams / certainly on course for our worst season. Ever

A direct comparison is Ched Evans.
35 goals for us I'm 2011/12. 29 of those in the League.

He's managed to score 10 goals in the Championship just once in a season.

Edwards was a very prolific, lower league footballer. How many apps and goals did he get in the top flight? That tells you how good he was in reality compared to all others of his generation.
McBurnie, Bewster, Archer, Osula, etc. Would get 30+ in League 2

Edwards was a very prolific, lower league footballer. How many apps and goals did he get in the top flight? That tells you how good he was in reality compared to all others of his generation.
Edwards never scored in the top flight throughout his career. Played in a few games during the 1975-76 season. He wasn't in our side when we got relegated to the 4th. We signed him in September 1981

Quite. Burnley are getting off remarkably lightly - presumably because Kompany is a member of ‘the Premier League Club’.

Strip out the game at Turf Moor, which brought the curtain down for Hecky, and there is barely a cigarette paper between United and Burnley’s records in their 22 matches against the rest of the division.

So the difference between the two, having spent 70-80m more is one red card!

My point is - pound for pound - league for league

Ched’s only has three seasons where he’s got into double figures. 10 at Norwich in the Championship, 17 at Fleetwood in League 1, and that season for us. I’d honestly have thought he’d done better than that, but a quick neb on Wikipedia shows what I know, which ain’t much. 😆

Burnley aren’t as bad as us.

We have a much worse goal difference, they have more points and we lost 5 nil to them.

Any shit we get off the media lies firmly at the door of our owner and now the players who seem to have given up.
Correct they are 3 points better than us having smashed us 5-0. Burnley are getting a free ride because of Kompany. When he departs they will once again become - whats the point Burnley.....I am convinced that if we somehow overhaul them and finish 19th then we'll still be classed as the worse team ever and Burnley were plucky

As Simon Jordan said last week, Burnley will go down knowing they have played the kompany way we go down because we aren't good enough. Surely if Burnley go down they aren't good enough doesn't really matter how you play as nobody remembers that. He talks some rubbish but that's the difference between kompany and wilder with the media

If we just lost games we would slip out the Premier league without much notice but these cowardly displays invite ridicule
I've never felt so ashamed to support this club as I do know and I've been a fan since porterfield

I felt far more deflated when getting beat every other week by Walsall, Southend, Scunthorpe, Rochdale, Fleetwood, Shrewsbury, Gillingham.

All after 5 years in a league where we were the highest wage bill every season.

What we’re seeing this season is a woefully underprepared and under-assembled quality of squad compared to the rest of the league we are in.

It’s very depressing getting beat easily every week but you have to look at it in relation to what we are up against. In perspective it’s just not anywhere near where we’ve been.

The coming summer and the next 12-18 months will see whether we will need to be depressed.

Will be remain a “top 26” side? Will we become a Stoke, Swansea? Will we become a Wigan, Wednesday?

I suspect the former.

As Simon Jordan said last week, Burnley will go down knowing they have played the kompany way we go down because we aren't good enough. Surely if Burnley go down they aren't good enough doesn't really matter how you play as nobody remembers that. He talks some rubbish but that's the difference between kompany and wilder with the media
Another "pundit" who essentially is there to cause clicks. Considering the stale nature of his club, he should keep his gob shut.
The Kompany way is clearly fantastic for Championship level but wasnt he sacked in Belgium?
The Kompay way is naive and totally at out the depth but as long as they play pretty football - free ride.
Its his name nothing else, had he not won the league with City, he would be another manager "out of his depth".

There are only two ways Sheffield United will ever become a fixture in the top league, we get a new owner with unlimited funds and ambitions to match.

The only other possible route that I can see, would be the introduction of a European Super League, resulting in the top six resigning from the Premier League.

I would say European Super League scenario, is the far likeliest of the two. Even then of course, we’d have to be an established top six Championship team.

Another "pundit" who essentially is there to cause clicks. Considering the stale nature of his club, he should keep his gob shut.
The Kompany way is clearly fantastic for Championship level but wasnt he sacked in Belgium?
The Kompay way is naive and totally at out the depth but as long as they play pretty football - free ride.
Its his name nothing else, had he not won the league with City, he would be another manager "out of his depth".
The bottom three, every single season, go down because they aren’t as good as the rest of the division. That’s how league tables work. What dickheads like Simon Jordan fail to grasp is that no matter what the style of play, no matter who the manager is, the table doesn’t lie. If Burnley do go down there won’t be a little asterisk at the side leading to a note that says “Ah yes, but they played some lovely stuff under Vincent Kompany.”

I’m sure whoever finishes in 17th will not give a shiny shit that their brand of football was deemed less classy than that of any of the three teams that finish below them. It’s a result driven business. Sure, it’s nice to see some pretty football too, but if we could stay up playing like Bassett-era United then I’d take it.

It wouldn't surprise me if one of the pundits finally cracks live on air and says "I wish Sheff United would just fuck off to the championship and never come back" to response of "hear hear!" from living rooms around the country......
Were that to happen, it would make it all the more enjoyable to get promoted and stink the place out yet again. We should aim to get a lower points total each time :)

The bottom three, every single season, go down because they aren’t as good as the rest of the division. That’s how league tables work. What dickheads like Simon Jordan fail to grasp is that no matter what the style of play, no matter who the manager is, the table doesn’t lie.
Apart from if you’re Bournemouth and went down instead of Villa because, well, you know…

When Jordan says that he is being very very sarcastic
He thinks kompany is putting his principles before Burnleys survival

the difference from the outside looking in (I'm a Villa fan) is that Burnley get a sort of pass because they have a clear identity and as poor (maybe naïve) as they've been you can see what they're trying to do. Now, I've only see you twice and every other time its highlights but there's nothing discernible there that you could hang your hat on about Sheff U, what you are, what you're trying to be or do. It's obvious that the players aren't good enough but neither were Luton's up to a month or two back. They've recruited well but you know how and what they're trying to do also and everyone has bought into that.

Relegation is as certain as anything can be, but the powers that be need to write this season off and plan for not next season but in two season's time. build the team to ensure you have a proper shape and identity and togetherness for the next time you may be in the Prem.

Correct they are 3 points better than us having smashed us 5-0. Burnley are getting a free ride because of Kompany. When he departs they will once again become - whats the point Burnley.....I am convinced that if we somehow overhaul them and finish 19th then we'll still be classed as the worse team ever and Burnley were plucky
We won’t overtake them because they’re better than us.

Back
Top Bottom