Callum Robinson

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Tarqs

Reaction score
Seems he's displaying all the attributes for West Brom that we initially thought we were getting.

The Baggies think he's fantastic, hard working, full of energy and not afraid to let the shots off.

Which begs the question, why the feck does he appear to lethargic for us?!

Seems he's displaying all the attributes for West Brom that we initially thought we were getting.

The Baggies think he's fantastic, hard working, full of energy and not afraid to let the shots off.

Maybe he can't handle the intensity at which we train at?

Needs a(nother) pre-season.

Maybe because he isn't a striker and using a player in their most comfortable position will get the best out of them. 😝

Edit: If he keeps doing well to the point they buy him it could help contribute to our pursuit of Florinel Coman or Emmanuel Dennis

Last edited:
Perhaps it's because the Premier League and the Championship are different standards and he finds the Championship a lot easier

Was just about to say.
It's as though the further down the leagues you go, the worse the standard, so the better you'll look... ;)

He was always fine on the ball - just a coward when pressing. If they’re allowing him just to find space and run with it he’ll be fine.

As I said before good feet but no balls, just like Hogan.

Maybe it is because he is mates with Troopz off Arsenal fan tv.

Different systems, different opposition. The main thing is for him to show why we bought him and why Wilder has backed him by saying he wants to hold on to him.

Perhaps it's because the Premier League and the Championship are different standards and he finds the Championship a lot easier
The standard of the league shouldn't affect your work rate.

I never had a problem with his work rate. He was far from lazy.

I just don't think he had that bit of something extra to be able to standout in the Premier League, for a Champions League chasing side (felt good typing that).

You get yoyo teams, too good for the championship, not quite good enough for the PL. I think he'll prove to be a yoyo player.

WBA play a formation and style that suits him. He spends more time facing goal rather than with his back to it and with more space out wide.

I'm glad he's doing well - I expect him to go there permanently in summer assuming WBA get up.

WBA have been playing a 4-3-3 with him out on the left, which is coincidentally where he's made some of the best appearances for us - Chelsea away, Man Utd home, Arsenal away. He's playing in the kind of spaces he did to such good effect for Preston - I watched most of their game last night and he was involved in a lot of their best attacking moments.

It's been done to death on here but a) he's just not a central striker (yet...?) and b) we rarely play in a formation that gets the best out of him. I sort of wonder if we went into this season expecting to have to be more cautious in how we played, with just one striker and then players like Robinson and Freeman behind / out wide - and then it turned out that our 3-5-2 was comfortably good enough to compete in games.

No idea if he becomes a Premier League-level player with us (although Wilder explicitly said he's got a big future with us, after he went out on loan) but we haven't really put him in the best positions to succeed so far. Which is fine, we're here to win football matches, not make individuals look good.

West Brom are playing Robinson how Preston used to play him. Watched him play the other night - he looked good.

We signed him early and both Moose and McBurnie late just before start of season so Robinson was played up top which doesn't seem to be his natural position.

Doubt he would have started if McBurnie/Moose had come for a full pre-season.

Robinson is a bit like Brooks - do they actually fit our system?

Personally I think we'll move him on - CW has history of players being moved on as they don't quite fit the change in style we play.

UTB

Not seen Robbo for WBA, need to have a looky, but

I think West Brom played Harvey Barnes better than Leicester do .....

but under a diffent manager 🤔

If he is doing that roll, it will be interesting to see,

Anyway, Robbo dont work hard enough ..... 🤪

Last edited:
I think a few of you need to cut him a bit of slack. New club, punishing training regime, unique system. On top of that, we’ve been attempting to adapt him into a new position. I also think he’s received more criticism than his actual input has warranted from the games I’ve seen this season. Classic example being people coming away from Millwall saying they couldn’t remember a single thing he did all game, when he’d had an important part in Besic’s opening goal. I think people are seeing a player struggling to properly adapt to the role he’s been asked to do, and are just leaping to the lazy criticism of him being “lazy”.

Think I’m giving him too much slack? Maybe bear in mind McBurnie’s comments in today’s Athletic:

“I am running an extra 2km every game,” the Leeds-born striker says. “That might not seem a lot but it is a lot. I feel so much fitter here. The last five times I have started, I did 11km each game. Part of that is down to my role in the team. At Swansea, I was given a free role to do what I wanted. Told to run where I wanted to run, whereas here it is different.

I’ll be honest and say it took me a few months to adjust to how we play. But the fans stuck by me. They have been unbelievable. Especially at the start, when I was having a tough time and not playing like I can.”

I think people should be a bit more patient. Plenty gave McBurnie way more flack than he deserved earlier in the season, and he’s now settled in really well to the team.

Depending on what sort of system players have played in before, I bet that for a new player coming in it must be tougher to adjust to our way of doing things than it might be in most other clubs that have a less innovative and more orthodox approach.

All the above should be very much be considered when assessing Berge’s introduction to us – as it may very well take a similar adjustment period.

Actually I think it could in some cases, although I always thought that he was a hard worker.

But you can chase around all day against Prem teans and they'll never give the ball away. Do the same against Championship teams and they'll cough the ball up sooner or later

Robinson is a bit like Brooks - do they actually fit our system?
Brooks is a far more talented player than Robinson(when fit). Agree that Brooks was best playing a roaming position for us so wouldn't fit into our system at present. People forget how easily he glided past the opposition, something Robinson hasn't shown us. Notwithstanding the fact that the money was invested wisely I still believe Brooks was under valued when sold.

Almost all of those goals were one or two touches facing towards goal. Most of the time he played as a striker for us, he was pushed right up against the centre backs with his back to goal and little or no opportunity to do that, in pre-season last year he scored a few, but they were all against lower-level sides that gave him the space to play like he did for Preston.

Guys like Dwight Gayle have the same problem, a goalscorer in the Championship, but struggles in the top-flight due to better defending and ending up a bit isolated up front. Robinson's best position for the top division is probably left of a front 3, rather than a proper winger, last season showed he's not a main striker and he probably doesn't have the workrate for the McGoldrick spot. Would still rather have had him than Zivkovic as an option off the bench at the end of last season though.

Back
Top Bottom