Brighton vs Blades (Form Guide)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Tony_Kaufman

Here's a truck stop instead of St Peter's
Reaction score
Season to date:

BLADES
P17 W6 D7 L4 GF21 GA16 GD+5 Pts25

Clean sheets: 6
Penalties: 0
Top scorer: Mousset (5), Fleck (4)
Form: WWLDDD

BRIGHTON
P17 W5 D5 L7 GF21 GA25 GD-4 Pts20

Clean sheets: 4
Penalties: 2
Top scorer: Maupay (7) *1 pen
Form: DDWLLL

HOME/AWAY

BLADES (Away - Last Six)
P6 W2 D4 L0 GF7 GA4 GD+3 Pts10

Clean sheets: 2
Top scorer: Mousset (3), Baldock (2)
Form: WDDDDW

BRIGHTON (Home - Last Six)
P6 W3 D2 L1 GF11 GA7 GD+4 Pts11

Penalties: 1
Top scorer: Maupay (4) *1 pen
Form: DLWWWD

Chris Wilder's Blades travel to the south coast to play Graham (no relation to Harry) Potter's Seagulls.

This should be a good open game as Brighton will want to take advantage of home soil to attempt to win this game. Brighton have been solid in mid table so far this season, neither pushing for a top six finish, nor flirting with relegation and another season of Premier League should greet them next August if they keep going the way they are.

The Seagulls are not a free scoring side and match the tally of their next opponents, though they have failed to score in 5 matches. They have also only found the back of the net more than once in a match on 6 occasions and haven't lost any of these games.

Summer signing Neal Maupay is their top scorer on 7 goals, having scored a goal in each of the last 3 matches. Only a solitary penalty makes up one of his season's tally. Brighton have lots of other scorers but no other player has managed more than 2 all season.

Defensively the Seagulls do let themselves down. Although they have kept 4 clean sheets they have shipped in 25 goals and have only shut out a team only once in their last 9 matches, a 2-0 home win over Norwich.

At home Brighton have managed to pick up 11 points in their last 6 matches, with only the one defeat coming against Leicester. They have scored 11 goals in this time, only failing to score in one match. They have managed to score at least 2 or more in 4 of these home ties, making them a threat to visitors. Maupay again is the danger man, finding the net 4 times at home, all of these coming in the last 6 fixtures with only the one penalty.

Whilst impressive on paper it should be noted that in this period they have beaten Norwich, Everton and a pre-Mourinho Spurs, who had an abysmal away record at the time. That's not to sniff at Brighton or dismiss them, as you still have to beat what's in front of you, but their other opponents in this list were Wolves, Leicester and Burnley, resulting in a defeat and 2 draws.

Defensively Brighton are better at home then away on recent form, but indifferent, shipping in only 7 goals and keeping 2 clean sheets. They have conceded 2 goals in half these matches, resulting in a win, draw and loss.

The Blades notched up back to back victories for the first time this season having seen off Villa at the weekend and travel to Brighton 5 points clear of their opponents.

They have only lost the single game during the last 6 games, a home defeat to Newcastle, and have finally turned the corner and stopped throwing away wins by conceding silly goals.

During this period the Blades have scored 9 goals, finding the net twice in a match on 3 occassions in this period and only failing to score once. They have only picked up 1 clean sheet in this time against Villa. Top scorer Lys Mousset is currently on 5 goals but hasn't scored for 3 matches, whilst John Fleck doubled his season tally to 4 at the weekend.

Defensively the Blades are still one of the best teams in the division, having kept 6 clean sheets and they concede on average just under 1 goal per game. That said they have conceded 8 in their last 6 games alone, despite the clean sheet.

Away from home the Blades are still undefeated. Their last road trip saw them bring home 3 points from Norfolk. Prior to this their last win was against Everton and these victories were sandwiched between draws. Only the match against Watford saw the Blades fail to score on the road, and they have only scored more than one away goal twice, with one being an own goal. Mousset tops the charts with 3 goals and George Baldock has found the net twice in the last 3 away games, earning the Blades 4 points for his efforts.

Defensively the Blades aren't as resolute away from Bramall Lane, having conceded in each of their last 4 away matches. Back to back clean sheets had been earned prior to this. Despite this they have only conceded more than one goal away from home all season, at Chelsea.

It will be interesting to see if Wilder will make changes with the Christmas matches coming up thick and fast, or if he will save this for the home match against Watford, who will no doubt come and park the bus, making it hard to score no matter who he selects. This leads me to think that he'll more likely put out his strongest team against Brighton, though Fleck will sadly be missed through suspension.

Prediction: Draw

Season to date:

BLADES
P17 W6 D7 L4 GF21 GA16 GD+5 Pts25

Clean sheets: 6
Top scorer: Mousset (5), Fleck (4)
Form: WWLDDD

BRIGHTON
P17 W5 D5 L7 GF21 GA25 GD-4 Pts20

Clean sheets: 4
Penalties: 2
Top scorer: Maupay (7) *1 pen
Form: DDWLLL

HOME/AWAY

BLADES (Away - Last Six)
P6 W2 D4 L0 GF7 GA4 GD+3 Pts10

Top scorer: Mousset (3), Baldock (2)
Form: WDDDDW

BRIGHTON (Home - Last Six)
P6 W3 D2 L1 GF11 GA7 GD+4 Pts11

Penalties: 1
Top scorer: Maupay (4) *1 pen
Form: DLWWWD

Chris Wilder's Blades travel to the south coast to play Graham (no relation to Harry) Potter's Seagulls.

This should be a good open game as Brighton will want to take advantage of home soil to attempt to win this game. Brighton have been solid in mid table so far this season, neither pushing for a top six finish, nor flirting with relegation and another season of Premier League should greet them next August if they keep going the way they are.

The Seagulls are not a free scoring side and match the tally of their next opponents, though they have failed to score in 5 matches. They have also only found the back of the net more than once in a match on 6 occasions and haven't lost any of these games.

Summer signing Neal Maupay is their top scorer on 7 goals, having scored a goal in each of the last 3 matches. Only a solitary penalty makes up one of his season's tally. Brighton have lots of other scorers but no other player has managed more than 2 all season.

Defensively the Seagulls do let themselves down. Although they have kept 4 clean sheets they have shipped in 25 goals and have only shut out a team only once in their last 9 matches, a 2-0 home win over Norwich.

At home Brighton have managed to pick up 11 points in their last 6 matches, with only the one defeat coming against Leicester. They have scored 11 goals in this time, only failing to score in one match. They have managed to score at least 2 or more in 4 of these home ties, making them a threat to visitors. Maupay again is the danger man, finding the net 4 times at home, all of these coming in the last 6 fixtures with only the one penalty.

Whilst impressive on paper it should be noted that in this period they have beaten Norwich, Everton and a pre-Mourinho Spurs, who had an abysmal away record at the time. That's not to sniff at Brighton or dismiss them, as you still have to beat what's in front of you, but their other opponents in this list were Wolves, Leicester and Burnley, resulting in a defeat and 2 draws.

Defensively Brighton are better at home then away on recent form, but indifferent, shipping in only 7 goals and keeping 2 clean sheets. They have conceded 2 goals in half these matches, resulting in a win, draw and loss.

The Blades notched up back to back victories for the first time this season having seen off Villa at the weekend and travel to Brighton 5 points clear of their opponents.

They have only lost the single game during the last 6 games, a home defeat to Newcastle, and have finally turned the corner and stopped throwing away wins by conceding silly goals.

During this period the Blades have scored 9 goals, finding the net twice in a match on 3 occassions in this period and only failing to score once. They have only picked up 1 clean sheet in this time against Villa. Top scorer Lys Mousset is currently on 5 goals but hasn't scored for 3 matches, whilst John Fleck doubled his season tally to 4 at the weekend.

Defensively the Blades are still one of the best teams in the division, having kept 6 clean sheets and they concede on average just under 1 goal per game. That said they have conceded 8 in their last 6 games alone, despite the clean sheet.

Away from home the Blades are still undefeated. Their last road trip saw them bring home 3 points from Norfolk. Prior to this their last win was against Everton and these victories were sandwiched between draws. Only the match against Watford saw the Blades fail to score on the road, and they have only scored more than one away goal twice, with one being an own goal. Mousset tops the charts with 3 goals and George Baldock has found the net twice in the last 3 away games, earning the Blades 4 points for his efforts.

Defensively the Blades aren't as resolute away from Bramall Lane, having conceded in each of their last 4 away matches. Back to back clean sheets had been earned prior to this. Despite this they have only conceded more than one goal away from home all season, at Chelsea.

It will be interesting to see if Wilder will make changes with the Christmas matches coming up thick and fast, or if he will save this for the home match against Watford, who will no doubt come and park the bus, making it hard to score no matter who he selects. This leads me to think that he'll more likely put out his strongest team against Brighton, though Fleck will sadly be missed through suspension.

Prediction: Draw
Watford won’t park the bus! They went at Liverpool, played well, should have scored 2 or 3 and should have win! Need to watch out on this one!

You sure we haven't had any penalties? Only my mate says thats the only goals Billy scores. :rolleyes:

Can you guess who he supports?

Thanks for the O.P. sonofbruce , always very interesting and starts the build-up.

When I've seen Brighton they have played well but have not really converted their dominance into goals, where have I heard that before?

Maupay is a good player and so is that young lad Connelly, not sure where the latter was at Palace.

Potter has had a good time over us in the past and Wilder will be keen to win this one, as not many managers have a good record against his teams this past 4 years.

Looking forward to an excellent game and reckon we will be cautious for the first hour, maybe Moose on the bench and Besic in for Fleck.

Let's have 29 points in the bank when we play Man city.

Looking forward to the Baldock v Burn duel and we need to restrict Mooy ( would love to see him in S2).

Last edited:
Thanks for the O.P. sonofbruce , need to restrict Mooy ( would love to see him in S2).

Agreed Mooy is a really good player and will be a threat especially on the counter. seems like him and Maupay have built a great understanding.

He's only on loan at Brighton, so maybe we could try and nick him in the summer...

Agreed Mooy is a really good player and will be a threat especially on the counter. seems like him and Maupay have built a great understanding.

He's only on loan at Brighton, so maybe we could try and nick him in the summer...

He's contracted to Huddersfield until 2022. Cost them £10m with add-ons. Worth more after impressing in P.L.

Thanks for the O.P. sonofbruce , always very interesting and starts the build-up.

When I've seen Brighton they have played well but have not really converted their dominance into goals, where have I heard that before?

Maupay is a good player and so is that young lad Connelly, not sure where the latter was at Palace.

Potter has had a good time over us in the past and Wilder will be keen to win this one, as not many managers have a good record against his teams this past 4 years.

Looking forward to an excellent game and reckon we will be cautious for the first hour, maybe Moose on the bench and Besic in for Fleck.

Let's have 29 points in the bank when we play Man city.

Looking forward to the Baldock v Burn duel and we need to restrict Mooy ( would love to see him in S2).

"Cautious for the first hour?" Are you sure about that Woody? I don't think I've seen us play cautious for an hour against anyone all season, so I can't see us doing it against Brighton - who, frankly, are relegation fodder imo. At least, that's how they ended last season and I think they'll be down there amongst the dead men this season as well.

Fleck will be a miss I agree. But I'd rather him miss this one than the next two. It will be interesting to see what Besic does, if he gets the opportunity. It's between him and Luke Freeman I guess. I can see McBurnie starting up front for this one and Moose coming off the bench if we need to liven things up later.

"Cautious for the first hour?" Are you sure about that Woody? I don't think I've seen us play cautious for an hour against anyone all season, so I can't see us doing it against Brighton - who, frankly, are relegation fodder imo. At least, that's how they ended last season and I think they'll be down there amongst the dead men this season as well.

Fleck will be a miss I agree. But I'd rather him miss this one than the next two. It will be interesting to see what Besic does, if he gets the opportunity. It's between him and Luke Freeman I guess. I can see McBurnie starting up front for this one and Moose coming off the bench if we need to liven things up later.

I only mean 'cautious' like we were v Villa first half and most game searly season i.e. not releasing Bash, Stevens and Baldock quite as much and holding the middle 3 steady.

Brighton are a good team, much bigger challenge than Villa, Norwich and Toon recently.

I think we'll win it though!!

I only mean 'cautious' like we were v Villa first half and most game searly season i.e. not releasing Bash, Stevens and Baldock quite as much and holding the middle 3 steady.

Brighton are a good team, much bigger challenge than Villa, Norwich and Toon recently.

I think we'll win it though!!

Ah ok. Well, yes I think we started the season somewhat "cagey" for us, in most games. We seemed to want to keep it tight and wonder what the other team might do to us, to some extent. I think the ice started to melt on that during the away game at Chelsea - I'm pleased to say I witnessed it. I thought we kept it tight first half and looked competitive, but got undone by a bit of sloppiness and suddenly found ourselves 2-0 down at half-time, despite restricting Chelsea to very few chances. Second half we had no choice really - come out of the traps and get at them. And we did. I will always remember the expression on Robinson's face when he put that one in straight after the re-start. He couldn't believe what he'd just done. He wasn't just happy that he'd scored - he was gobsmacked! After that I think the players sensed that they were not up against invincible opponents, just another 11 blokes who were trying, same as them, to kick a pig's bladder into an onion sack. Once that mentality sets in, then it becomes a much more even game. And I think the Chelsea game was the start of that taking seed in the minds of many of the players.

What they've done since of course is grow and grow in confidence. When I went to Spurs the other week, I texted home after the first 10 minutes, "Spurs haven't got out of their own half yet! We're playing them off the park!". I think Villa was a different situation tbh. I just think that first half was very stop and start with that referee and I don't think either team got into it.

And so we've seen the belief in the squad, grow and grow and grow. I really don't see that we'll be too cautious in this one. Given their poor defensive record, I think we'll try and get at them early on and get in front. Because if we do get in front we are one of the most difficult teams to break down. If we could get an early goal we can play the rest of the game on the counter for me.

Put it this way...if we are going to lose our unbeaten away record, I'd rather it be against somebody good, like one of the next two teams we are facing after this one, not to Bloody Brighton and Hovis Albion!

Ah ok. Well, yes I think we started the season somewhat "cagey" for us, in most games. We seemed to want to keep it tight and wonder what the other team might do to us, to some extent. I think the ice started to melt on that during the away game at Chelsea - I'm pleased to say I witnessed it. I thought we kept it tight first half and looked competitive, but got undone by a bit of sloppiness and suddenly found ourselves 2-0 down at half-time, despite restricting Chelsea to very few chances. Second half we had no choice really - come out of the traps and get at them. And we did. I will always remember the expression on Robinson's face when he put that one in straight after the re-start. He couldn't believe what he'd just done. He wasn't just happy that he'd scored - he was gobsmacked! After that I think the players sensed that they were not up against invincible opponents, just another 11 blokes who were trying, same as them, to kick a pig's bladder into an onion sack. Once that mentality sets in, then it becomes a much more even game. And I think the Chelsea game was the start of that taking seed in the minds of many of the players.

What they've done since of course is grow and grow in confidence. When I went to Spurs the other week, I texted home after the first 10 minutes, "Spurs haven't got out of their own half yet! We're playing them off the park!". I think Villa was a different situation tbh. I just think that first half was very stop and start with that referee and I don't think either team got into it.

And so we've seen the belief in the squad, grow and grow and grow. I really don't see that we'll be too cautious in this one. Given their poor defensive record, I think we'll try and get at them early on and get in front. Because if we do get in front we are one of the most difficult teams to break down. If we could get an early goal we can play the rest of the game on the counter for me.

Put it this way...if we are going to lose our unbeaten away record, I'd rather it be against somebody good, like one of the next two teams we are facing after this one, not to Bloody Brighton and Hovis Albion!

Dean Smith in interview said last night that he thought his players were gradually getting used to playing in the P.L. and would grow in confidence as the season unfolds.

Your description of Robinson on scoring shows the sense of magnitude the step up to the P.L. has for young players, especially those playing for a big club like us for the first time too. Our more experienced players have taken it in their stride with 'knobs on,!! And so has our manager.

My view is that this form guide does not rate Brighton highly enough. They will be among the better prepared and coached sides that we have met so far.
Don't like them at all, but they play decent football and the have quality throughout the side. Very similar to the Blades in that respect. This game will be a good test of where we're at in PL terms.

No disrespect to the OP for a useful guide. Just my opinion.

My view is that this form guide does not rate Brighton highly enough. They will be among the better prepared and coached sides that we have met so far.
Don't like them at all, but they play decent football and the have quality throughout the side. Very similar to the Blades in that respect. This game will be a good test of where we're at in PL terms.

No disrespect to the OP for a useful guide. Just my opinion.

I forgot to put it in the guide, but I do consider this to be one of our trickiest fixtures so far, much like the Wolves game, as both teams are fairly evenly matched. I was more worried about the Wolves game than I was about Spurs or Man Utd, as the other two were out of form when we played them.

When I do the prediction at the end I look at the bigger picture and base it on the information within the guides, and switch off my Blades head.

Brighton are a good team, and I've no doubt they'll still be in the division next season. It should be a really good game to watch regardless of result.

They beat Spurs all ends up but they were lucky against Wolves. They scored twice in a few minutes and the goals came out of the blue. Against Wolves the away side were by far the better team and should have scored more; Jota wasted chances and eventually scored one. Maupay's goal was superb but one of those that misses 9 times out of 10.

Palace were poor against them, or you could say Brighton were so much better and they were. Thing is they only scored one goal and were poor with the final ball.

We should remember just how good we are. and Brighton will be very wary of us should we produce our normal away performance, a la Spurs, Norwich, Wolves.

Brighton are exceeding general expectations about their levels but is it winning football or do they flatter to deceive? Swansea flattered to deceive last season. We are hard done by VAR and overall points tally relative to performances. We are rather good actually.

How can you dislike a team so much that has zero significance to us? and that is so far away from us? Dont get it.

Watford won’t park the bus! They went at Liverpool, played well, should have scored 2 or 3 and should have win! Need to watch out on this one!
Watford should have scored 2/3 against us too.....and the first half against them was like it was against newcastle...AND THEY WERE AT HOME!

Piggy Pearson will really have them fired up for this one too.

I forgot to put it in the guide, but I do consider this to be one of our trickiest fixtures so far, much like the Wolves game, as both teams are fairly evenly matched. I was more worried about the Wolves game than I was about Spurs or Man Utd, as the other two were out of form when we played them.

When I do the prediction at the end I look at the bigger picture and base it on the information within the guides, and switch off my Blades head.

Brighton are a good team, and I've no doubt they'll still be in the division next season. It should be a really good game to watch regardless of result.
Im just concerned that this team represent what we are expected to be up against in the PL relegation battle. Like Southampton, Watford and Newcastle. All teams capable of damaging our upward trajectory.
My main point is that they are no mugs. An experienced PL side who have improved under Potter. They might use this game to prove their credentials in the PL. For us, it's a litmus test of where we stand in this league.

They are a bigger threat than struggling transition sides like Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and Man Utd, all of whom are struggling through transition periods.
This could be the start of their season proper, or our climb to recognized top six material. I hope it's the latter, just don't underestimate Brightons form.

Last edited:
Im just concerned that this team represent what we are expected to be up against in the PL relegation battle. Like Southampton, Watford and Newcastle. All teams capable of damaging our upward trajectory.
My main point is that they are no mugs. An experienced PL side who have improved under Potter. They might use this game to prove their credentials in the PL. For us, it's a litmus test of where we stand in this league.

They are a bigger threat than struggling transition sides like Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and Man Utd, all of whom are struggling through transition periods.
This could be the start of their season proper, or our climb to recognized top six material. I hope it's the latter, just don't underestimate Brightons form.

I get where you're coming from and I don't think I've written anything anywhere to suggest that I have underestimated them.

On paper we struggle to score more than one goal away from home, but we are undefeated. Brighton are good at home, however their three victories and matches where they scored 2 or more goals were against poor or out of form opposition. The draw against Wolves was an impressive result too. Therefore a draw seemed a more fair and likely outcome. If you put me on the spot and I had to choose a potential winner then I'd say Brighton just edge it, but I'm sticking with a predicted draw.

Watford will arguably be a tougher test, though Brighton will not be an easy game by any means. Brighton will come at us and they will attack from the start.

I write these guides to give fans an alternate view of what is coming up, with things they may not have considered. I enjoy doing them and I enjoy reading fans predictions and their reasons why.

Don't subscribe to the thoughts that Brighton will be in a relegation scrap, i think they're better than that and Potter's building something decent down there. Difficult game and i'd take a draw right now and move on.

Don't subscribe to the thoughts that Brighton will be in a relegation scrap, i think they're better than that and Potter's building something decent down there. Difficult game and i'd take a draw right now and move on.

Far too early to judge Potter, he's still in is 'honeymoon period'.

Well regarded at Swansea who plucked him from nowhere.

Swansea underachieved last season but Potter came out smelling of roses.

Looks a bit more theory than practise to me.

I get where you're coming from and I don't think I've written anything anywhere to suggest that I have underestimated them.

On paper we struggle to score more than one goal away from home, but we are undefeated. Brighton are good at home, however their three victories and matches where they scored 2 or more goals were against poor or out of form opposition. The draw against Wolves was an impressive result too. Therefore a draw seemed a more fair and likely outcome. If you put me on the spot and I had to choose a potential winner then I'd say Brighton just edge it, but I'm sticking with a predicted draw.

Watford will arguably be a tougher test, though Brighton will not be an easy game by any means. Brighton will come at us and they will attack from the start.

I write these guides to give fans an alternate view of what is coming up, with things they may not have considered. I enjoy doing them and I enjoy reading fans predictions and their reasons why.
I enjoy your form guides mate, I just think Brighton are a bit better than you painted them, that's all. No argument with your predicted result either. An away draw will be a good result for us. I'd like to see us push on now, but think they could get the edge at home against us.
Hope I'm wrong, but I've been a Blade long enough to still worry. :confused:

I just realised that I got part of this wrong I saying that we've only scored twice away from home on two occasions. Make that three occassions.

Back
Top Bottom