Brewster vs Sharp and Evans

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bergen Blade

Reaction score
Three goalgetter type strikers who joined us aged 20/21 (Obviously Sharp was returning). None of them were immediate hits.

Sharp:

1613928486022.png 1613928519699.png1613928547245.png

Sharp had obviously scored loads of goals at Rushden and Diamonds and Scunthorpe, but his return was his first real go at the Championship. 6 goals in his first two seasons was underwhelming and we let him join Doncaster in 2009. There he was the main man again and he showed he'd the ability to score many goals at that level. We know he's gone on to have an excellent career.

Ched Evans

1613929202130.png1613929219157.png1613929243553.png

Ched Evans had a decent loan spell at Norwich in the Championship the season before he signed for us. But his Bramall Lane career started slowly with 4 goals the first season, and then 9 as we were relegated the season after. For someone who was able to strike the ball so well, I thought it was remarkable how rarely he looked like scoring. His third season was in League One, but he was phenomenal, scoring 35 goals despite missing the end of that season. If he'd been put in a successful Championship side I think it would have still been his break through season. We know what happened and he never recaptured the kind of form he showed in 2011/12.

Sharp and Evans' stats don't prove anything about Brewster's future. But they do show that it can take time to get going as a goalscorer. You'll get exceptions, wonderkids like Rooney and Owen, but a lot of these poacher types need to mature and adapt a bit before the goals start coming regularly at a high level. At 23-24 many seem to suddenly do better, they'll have learned more about the timing of runs, how to hold off defenders, what it takes to get in front of them, etc.

Let's have some patience with Brewster. Hopefully we'll see a goal or two before the season ends, and more improvement in the years ahead.

Paying 3 million for Evans then is like spending 20 million on Brewster now, though the difference was we could take a gamble like that as we had sold Naughton and Walker for nearly three times the amount we sold Evans for.

I’ll reserve judgement on Rhian. It might, just might, be within his compass to have a fine career at PL / Championship level.

However.

I do believe significant improvements are required in order to achieve this.

Starting in the gym to be honest. Needs to add muscle, lose a pound or 10, and work hard on improving speed and stamina.

UTB

I feel that Brewster will come good but he was never going to come here and hit the ground running. He had never played in the Prem prior to coming here I believe, so to expect him to start banging in goals was unrealistic. He needs game time and he hasn’t been given it. That being said, he still looks more likely to score than McBernie when on the pitch. CW has a difficult decision on whether to put Brewster in and give him minutes with a risk that it further damages his confidence or sit him out and lower it even more. I would play him and let him play his normal game as we can’t look any worse up front. Give the lad a go !!!

Great analysis and logic. Only thing I'd say is that both proved themselves in league one (which is Ched's ceiling level) and Billy also in the Championship (which is his ceiling level). I think there's every chance RB will carve out a good career at Championship level but I just can't see him ever cutting it in the Prem in which case we've paid around £15m too much.

I fear history will show we only got vfm from Billy. Hope I'm wrong.... we'll see

Three goalgetter type strikers who joined us aged 20/21 (Obviously Sharp was returning). None of them were immediate hits.

Sharp:

View attachment 106144 View attachment 106145View attachment 106146

Sharp had obviously scored loads of goals at Rushden and Diamonds and Scunthorpe, but his return was his first real go at the Championship. 6 goals in his first two seasons was underwhelming and we let him join Doncaster in 2009. There he was the main man again and he showed he'd the ability to score many goals at that level. We know he's gone on to have an excellent career.

Ched Evans

View attachment 106147View attachment 106148View attachment 106149

Ched Evans had a decent loan spell at Norwich in the Championship the season before he signed for us. But his Bramall Lane career started slowly with 4 goals the first season, and then 9 as we were relegated the season after. For someone who was able to strike the ball so well, I thought it was remarkable how rarely he looked like scoring. His third season was in League One, but he was phenomenal, scoring 35 goals despite missing the end of that season. If he'd been put in a successful Championship side I think it would have still been his break through season. We know what happened and he never recaptured the kind of form he showed in 2011/12.

Sharp and Evans' stats don't prove anything about Brewster's future. But they do show that it can take time to get going as a goalscorer. You'll get exceptions, wonderkids like Rooney and Owen, but a lot of these poacher types need to mature and adapt a bit before the goals start coming regularly at a high level. At 23-24 many seem to suddenly do better, they'll have learned more about the timing of runs, how to hold off defenders, what it takes to get in front of them, etc.

Let's have some patience with Brewster. Hopefully we'll see a goal or two before the season ends, and more improvement in the years ahead.
I’ve said previously that Brewster gives me Evans vibes I hope it clicks for him in the same fashion.

Great analysis and logic. Only thing I'd say is that both proved themselves in league one (which is Ched's ceiling level) and Billy also in the Championship (which is his ceiling level). I think there's every chance RB will carve out a good career at Championship level but I just can't see him ever cutting it in the Prem in which case we've paid around £15m too much.

I fear history will show we only got vfm from Billy. Hope I'm wrong.... we'll see
I’m not sure any of us can really say what’s Evans ceiling was those years out at such a vital time robbed him of his prime.

I’ll reserve judgement on Rhian. It might, just might, be within his compass to have a fine career at PL / Championship level.

However.

Starting in the gym to be honest. Needs to add muscle, lose a pound or 10, and work hard on improving speed and stamina.

UTB

Why do you think he needs too add muscle and lose a pound or 10.
If you watch his goals for Swansea he seems strong enough and doesn't seem to be carrying anymore weight now than he did then.
I don't think his stamina is in question he's certainly not in moose's league, and not sure you can improve your speed that much isn't it something you have or don't.
All the work in the world he's never going to beat Burke in a sprint.
The one thing I do think he can improve on is not letting his head drop which he seems to let often happen.
We are down now so I would like too see him get a good run in the side now, nothing to lose hopefully he'll get a goal or two which will help his confidence and be good for us next season.

Why do you think he needs too add muscle and lose a pound or 10.
If you watch his goals for Swansea he seems strong enough and doesn't seem to be carrying anymore weight now than he did then.
I don't think his stamina is in question he's certainly not in moose's league, and not sure you can improve your speed that much isn't it something you have or don't.
All the work in the world he's never going to beat Burke in a sprint.
The one thing I do think he can improve on is not letting his head drop which he seems to let often happen.
We are down now so I would like too see him get a good run in the side now, nothing to lose hopefully he'll get a goal or two which will help his confidence and be good for us next season.
I don’t give a fuck about what any of our players may or may not have done for the Jacks 1,2 or 50 months ago.

What I do see is a kid that needs to up his game.

Better conditioning would be a great start to this process.

UTB.

However.

UTB
I wonder if the players spend too much time in the gym adding muscle and pounds. Almost every time you watch one of those behind the scenes videos, they seem to be in the gym, pumping iron. Adding too much muscle isn't great for a footballer like it is for a rugby player or American footballer. A lot of our players seem to fill out their shirts to the extreme these days.

I wonder if the players spend too much time in the gym adding muscle and pounds. Almost every time you watch one of those behind the scenes videos, they seem to be in the gym, pumping iron. Adding too much muscle isn't great for a footballer like it is for a rugby player or American footballer. A lot of our players seem to fill out their shirts to the extreme these days.
Agreed. There is a balance here.

But my observation is based on the fact, this season anyhoot, that Rhian appears slow (both in reaction time AND covering the ground), fairly weak in that his “back to goal” presence rarely gives CBs much to worry about physically and he kind of ambles about rather like someone else I could (but won’t) mention.

Not great when the gaffer DEMANDS we press from the front and the intensity of the first press often dictates if and how quickly we can win the ball back !!!!

UTB

Yeah, Bash, McBurnie and Norwood could always run the doors down Barnsley if they ever need a bit of extra cash 😆

Baldock is probably our most musclebound player we have and hes a cardio machine.

Sharp:

View attachment 106144 View attachment 106145View attachment 106146

Ched Evans

View attachment 106147View attachment 106148View attachment 106149

The problem is that he is our record signing for more money than any of us ever imagined we'd spend on a player. It was an idiotic signing, in hindsight, and many questioned the cost at the time. This is not Brewster's fault, this is the fault of Chris Wilder. A desperate late signing. He might come good but we're better of selling him if we can retrieve most of the money. His manager has thrown him under a bus.

Unless we start actually creating chances for our forwards and change the way we play, any of them could be here for a hundred years and not score goals. Our attacking play is too slow and by the time we get to the opposition penalty box, all their defenders are back and in place, making it incredibly difficult, at this level, to find space and score goals

Our speed of “passing” the ball from back to front is so slow in comparison to every other team in the premiership and possibly top half championship.
This is due to midfield players not showing for the ball and subsequently strikers being marked and not showing for the ball in the final third.

It is the one thing that stands out above and beyond where we were last season.

Easy this football manager lark

One of the most difficult skills in football, is scoring when you don't play. Once he actually starts playing regularly, then we can judge him.

However.

UTB
Just like the skinny Calvert-Lewis has

Bergen, why do you come on here posting relevant stats and optimism, dont you know the correct way to do it is post negative bile and slag all the team off

very good post, how did you start following the blades , was it in the Flo era

However.

UTB
Duz tha reckon eeze been dahn doore chip oyl wi Mousse. Ee duz ave chubby cheeks(on his face)😊

United need to embrace being a counter attacking team until the end of the season. The available personnel demands it as we have to protect Jags and have a deep line. Burke, Brewster, Osborn, Bogle etc please CW. Let's see what Brewster can do on the break rather than as part of a slow methodical build up.

Bergen, why do you come on here posting relevant stats and optimism, dont you know the correct way to do it is post negative bile and slag all the team off

very good post, how did you start following the blades , was it in the Flo era

It started 30 years ago when I joined a Play By Mail manager game. By random I was assigned to manage Sheffield United.

Let's start with a midfielder who can play a defence splitting ball.

Back
Top Bottom