Blackburn 1 United 0 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
After the euphoria of the week for both sides, it was back to the promotion chase for both Blackburn Rovers and Sheffield United in a lunchtime kick off in front of the cameras. With Rovers and the Blades now having an attack on two fronts, they found that they would play each other in both the league and the cup. However, after United easily beat them at the Lane, the second part of this trilogy saw Blackburn strike back and give themselves a new hope of catching their opponents in the chase for a return to the top flight.

The Blades made a number of changes as expected with Egan back from suspension and Lowe and Bogle back at wing backs. The midfield and forward line was all change with Norwood, Fleck and Berge back starting as were McBurnie and Ndiaye up top. Clark was fit enough to take his place in the match day squad in as strong a looking reserve pool as we have seen for some time. Rovers on the back of their own superb cup win over Premier League made fewer changes with star man Szmodics playing just behind Gallagher. Brereton Diaz was back on the bench after his own cup suspension.

With Rovers’s squad having a day’s extra rest, it might not have been a surprise they were quicker out of the blocks for the early kick off despite making few changes but it was United that started the better side and won an early corner and after the ball was moved across Egan’s shot struck a Blackburn player on the hand but was too close for a penalty and Rovers suddenly broke. The ball was moved forward and across to Gallagher who slipped in PICKERING and with United completely torn open, the Blackburn player picked his spot and put it across Foderingham. It was reminiscent of the goal Millwall scored where the wing backs were too far forward and the shape non-existent. The desire of the home side to spring and get forward was better than the away side.

United tried to respond and Berge had a low shot saved by Pears and Bogle and Lowe were well forward meaning the Blades had a lot of the ball and were pressing but also meant they could be countered on, as we saw on the goal. The visitors had a half chance when Robinson’s header flicked off a defender and Pears had to push away, although it may have been going wide. Fleck then had a shot blocked by Travis from another set play that was not cleared.

A big chance came for the Blades from an unlikely source as Basham weaved through and then beautifully stood up the last man jinking inside but his finish was horrible and easy for Pears with the goal gaping. Rovers nearly made United pay as a break saw Dolan cut in and smash an effort off the bar. It was a really good effort and unfortunate with the woodwork still rattling for some time after.

Egan had a header flicked over from a corner and United were controlling the game with the ball and looking dangerous but not able to realty test Pears. Bogle got down the right but his pull back was deflected and then cleared before Ndiaye and Bogle countered but the wing back once again overplayed rather than executing the basics.

Rankin Costello’s dive was pathetic in an attempt to con referee Smith before Fleck’s cross to McBurnie was cleared. The game was more even as the half time whistle approached and another Blackburn counter saw the ball came across and Dolan made a mess of a good chance as United once again lacked the solidity we had seen in the week.

The second half began and despite being behind, United could not respond and it was Rovers who started well. Two balls came across the box and no one could apply the finishing touch but this was quickly followed by two more corners. Fleck’s dangling a leg at a clearance summed it up. Berge then lost it cheaply again and it was all Rovers at this at this stage. Around the hour mark they had chances to finish United off, the ball across from the left saw a shot blocked by Lowe. Soon after another give away and Rovers were 3 on 2 again inexplicably. Szmodzics effort was a clever one but it smacked the bar and was another let off for United.

The Blades were not having any possession and losing all the battles. When they did commit to a challenge they were clumsy and cynical and Basham should have got a second yellow for a bad tackle which if VAR had been in operation would have maybe even been a straight red.

The lack of energy from a mostly well rested side was startling and Rovers swarmed all over the clueless Blades. McAtee and Baldock came on for Fleck and Bogle and Lowe for Osborn not long after as United tried to inject some competitiveness in a side that seemed lifeless. It did not really alter things at all. A Berge hook over was followed by Egan heading over also, when well placed. Blackburn continued to win all the 50-50’s and look more dangerous. Doyle and Sharp came on for Norwood and Basham but time was running out and it had been comfortable for the visitors.

Brereton Diaz and Hedges then replaced Dolan and Thomas but Rovers were just seeing the game out with no real danger from United. Egan then picked up a clumsy booking whose only way of stopping Blackburn seemed to be by illegal means. United looked spent and Ndiaye twice lost the ball running into bodies with McBurnie an isolated figure up front. A spell of possession saw them keep it well away from Pears’ goal before the game moved into stoppage time. United won a late free kick and corner but Doyle’s corner not even staying on the pitch summed up United’s abject display. The final whistle came after this and Rovers players embraced a big win and one, they totally deserved against an insipid Blades side.

United – Everything I said in the week – you can turn around and apply the other way. We were absolutely pathetic today; hopeless. No passion, little football and in the end got what we deserved nothing. Sure, we did ok for spells first half and maybe in general possession shaded it but we toss away another stupidly open goal, like early at Millwall and then we are chasing yet again. The way we set up away against a promotion contender with so many men up and wing backs high up is honestly the sort of coaching you would not see on the park. It’s incredible. We have been done on the turn over and break twice now but inside the first 5 mins. It’s not like we are chasing the game? What are we playing at? We need to keep it solid and a good spine. Like we did in the week. We have to respect the opposition more. We are not good enough to play basketball type play especially away from home. Then we are behind with a stupid goal. The desire of their players to get through was much better than the sludge runners of Fleck, Berge and Norwood etc but to be 3 on 2 almost is just unbelievably naïve. It’s startling bad defending and set up play. It’s happened in two successive away games and when we have a team that does not come back from deficits (only come back to win from conceding first one - from Burnley is it?) against a team that is set up to play on the break – then we have played into their hands perfectly. I could not believe it. Nothing to be embarrassed about setting up solid and just getting a foothold in the game.

After this we did play ok and missed a few half chances and one great one through Basham. We had much more of the ball and looked decent to good but how many proper saves did Pears have to make? None really. A few blocks and deflected ones but outside of the Bash one no real clear way of how we are going to score. It seems a bit clueless. We seem to hope Ndiaye does something or a set play falls? The structure of our attacks is lacking and relies on a bit of quality from one of our players rather than overloads, through balls or link play. Their goal as bad a defending as it was – was really good – we don’t often score goals like that – Khadra and McAtee’s apart at Swansea and Blackpool. We were not careful enough with the final parts and in the end they went closes when they hit the bar and actually still got through us a few times. The wing backs positioning and alertness is horrific – Lowe and Bogle cannot defend. If we went up, they would not be good enough at the level with the pressure we would have to deal with. You have to be able to defend first and foremost (it’s called back for a reason!) and they cannot do it. They get in awful positions and never seem to know where their man is? Both started in such a way that the defence was exposed. Maybe they are told to play like that but for me Osborn and Baldock start. For all the Bogle hype, I am not sure he is consistent enough or does the basics well enough to be a regular starter over Baldock. At this stage we need to be solid and he is not and takes chances we cannot afford. Lowe’s form has dropped off a cliff. He looks wretched both ways sadly. The midfield had a fair bit of the ball but were safe and ponderous really and McBurnie and Ndiaye too far apart.

After the break though I felt like at Millwall, we would up it and step up. We at least had chances and controlled that game after HT despite the abject defending to gift them the win. Today nothing – absolutely dreadful. Whatever was said by the coaching staff, it was maybe the worst 2nd half performance of the season. We could not pass, did not go forward, defended shambolically, gave it away in bad positions and even more than that did not compete. They pressed us and worked much harder winning every ball. We just sort of fell apart and gave up. We made 5 changes. It could have been 10 really – as bad as they all were. Not sure the subs did much really – McAtee apart. The game sort of drifted by and they won it as easy as we did in the week. We were like the Championship Spurs. Not one player grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck symbolised by the appalling Berge whose attitude at the moment is unacceptable. Nice guy he maybe but he is getting paid a lot of money to barely break into a jog. He needs to come out or wake up. Can see why teams did not in the end pay the money – we will be lucky to get half our money back in the summer. The game just sort of ended without even a chance of note. I had no belief we would score. The players almost sort of gave up and that is a worry for a side in 2nd. We are going for promotion but the players confidence looks shot and that is really odd and has to be pinned the management. 3 defeats in 4 and we were not great last week really.

At the moment we do not look like getting a point away from home such is the openness of our side and the lack of work ethic off the ball. Blackburn have been criticised by some fans and many said they are awful – look at the losses. Well today they looked a better side that was better coaches and showed more hunger. The players and coaches have to take full responsibility. They were all relatively rested and serve that absolute horror show up. Big test now but worry after we have seen the last two away performances where we are going to get a result from away? We need to just go back to basics. Even grind out a few draws. Get the better defenders and harder workers in. I’d not be averse to going 5 in midfield and bottling it up. We are not good enough against the better teams to try and slug it out. However even that considering the total lack of creativity, belief and energy was even big a worry. With the hard games coming up, I sadly expect us to be reeled in soon unless the players wake the f**k up and react. Currently they are seem to be sleeping and almost just hoping for the best rather than making things happen. I was considering going today – thank god I did not. Fair play to those that keep coughing up – all those saying we should take more than we did today – why? The team are literally not bothering away from home so can understand many not paying out such a lot of money with travel/tickets etc. I would be furious if I had wasted a day and funds on that to be honest. Regardless of where we are in the table and how well the players have done, the lack of effort and application in the first half at Millwall and second half versus Blackburn has been unacceptable. I’d say the same whoever the players/manager was. We need to at least turn and fight or we have no chance whatever is made of selections, tactics, changes. Lots will be made of those factors. The basics for me is fight, tackle and run. We did not do that second half at all. Granted the control and passing was awful and we did not keep it but not sure we had the ball or gave ourselves enough chances to even get it up the field.

We will see what reaction the team has at Reading in the week now – a place we have done well recently but they are good at home. With tougher games coming up too – the players need to wake up now or they will be resigned to a playoff campaign and we know what happens there. Everyone keeps saying it is a big gap still or we have a game in hand but this time next week – then we may not even be able to fall back on those things. Really disappointing result but even poorer performance and I actually am doubting the spirit and heart of this side after the last run of games which is hard for me to type. So odd after the week where we saw the best of the Blades (granted different players mostly) and today we saw the worst. Sums up supporting them I suppose.

Ratings:

Foderingham 5/10 – I might be alone but thought he did not cover enough of his goal on the shot for the first. Yes, it’s a decent finish but he does not dive long ways. Harsh as he was not protected really again – similar to Millwall. Saw one flash off his bar but had little to do to start so frustrating to let that early one in. Second half badly exposed and another hits his bar and they have balls coming in and us coughing it up and they missed chances to make it save. Not making many saves at the moment – a lot of shots going in too easily for me even with the poor defending.

Bogle 3.5/10 – Awful defensively and nothing decent going the other way. He has no concept of doing the basic and defending. The goal he is all over place and one of the last men back. He got forward a few times but overplays or no end product and not sure he has really delivered recently after a good run before. Second half he gave it away and offered nothing the other way. He was rightly taken off. Not sure he is as good as he thinks he is. Was awful at Blackburn last year too.

Lowe 3/10 – Started the game in bad positions and with some poor touches and they got down this side. He seems very sloppy and not quite alert enough. He got a bit better but not sure we saw much attacking wise and worried when they attacked down here. Did make one good block. He looks way off the standard requited and the Lowe I recall for the first 2 seasons I saw at the Lane not the one who did well for 3 months. Need Norrington Davies back quick but for now he has to play Osborn there – least he keeps in a decent position.

Robinson 5/10 – Committed early on and made some decent tackles. Long throws were a threat until someone nicked his towel. Second half he got dragged into the general sloppiness and a few slices and poor moments as they got through us.

Basham 3/10 – Bad day . Nowhere near the other night really and some sloppy moments. The goal he has to go with the ball and he gets sucked in too much. Great run where he jinked forward but an awful miss after the hard work. Then skies one. Defensively too many loose touches. He gets booked and then should be sent off and sort of loses his discipline. Really bad tackle and in fact both were. So lucky to stay on.

Egan 4.5/10 – Out of position on the goal as he was up the field and this happened a few times. He had headed chances but heads over badly again. He is truly dreadful from corners and might as well stay back. Why does he not managed to keep it down and on the pitch? Second half he became erratic and the defence was never in line and they got through us a few times. Another cynical booking which exposed his lack of pace. Whisper it but we looked better with Anel there in the week.

Norwood 4/10 – We did not really control the midfield in terms of real quality. We had a lot of us but not sure we stretched them from people probing or running from this area. His passing was over cooked and his set plays poor. First half he did have more of the ball but after the break he disappeared and like last season down there they ran through us and we never got a foot on it. He has dropped off form recently for me – a lot will be made of Berge but not sure he has been great either. Not really influencing games at the moment.

Berge 2/10 – Complete passenger but still had some efforts near goal at least. Barely got into a jog. No interest at all. A liability defensively as we saw on the goal where he did not even run back. He had one shot but he kept passing it off or shying contact. Really annoyed me. If he wants to be a top player, he has to put some effort it. I can cope with languid style and poor stuff off the ball if he actually does 2 or 3 great things offensively but never seems to happen really? Second half he just sort of floated around without running. Fell over a few times meekly. Had one waft of a shot but his whole attitude and body language looks wrong. He needed taking off. He needs taking out of the team and we need to have players who chase/close and tackle as if he is not going to run forward with it or drive at there players, then what is the point of him playing? I’m not sure he ever will make it as a top player. To say he has the heart of a pea is an understatement. He is beyond infuriating. People may say that’s his style but if it is his style. His style is going to see him playing in the Championship, Belgian league or maybe lower reaches of Serie A at a push where the intensity might suit his slow motion game. Let’s get some legs in the side with McAtee or Doyle for a spell and we can use him as an impact forward late if needed.

Fleck 4/10 – Started ok but then he got worse and started snatching at things or losing things on the stretch and he became as bad as the rest of the midfield too. He disappeared after the first half hour and seemed completely exhausted as they had quicker and more mobile players running past our midfield. Did well last week but back to the Fleck we have seen a lot more of in the last 2 years sadly and showed why he is coming to the end of his United career.

Ndiaye 4.5/10 – Started well with a few runs and control but then faded badly and not really in it. The front two were given little service but not sure it stuck enough either and their work rate needs to be much better. After the break got crowded out and came looking for it and at least kept going but he was sloppy when he had it and they just got men round him. He ended up giving it away twice to set them on the attack. However he did not have service but you expect good individual players to be better and help us keep it. Today in a big game he did not show up and that has been the case for a few weeks now as much as I love him. Need a lot more.

McBurnie 4.5/10 – He did put himself about but again as above the ball needs to stick more and those two were way off each other. One flicked header wide first half. Second half chased around but we were defending more than we attacked and him and Ndiaye did not link at all. We never got it forward or got them into the game but when it came forward he did not even win the headers or offer a nuisance factor.

Subs –

Baldock 4/10 – Came on and tried to scrap a bit but did just kick it out a fair bit and joined the general crap going on around him.

Osborn 5/10 – Thought he did ok in terms of at least better defensively and did pass it a few times to our men – more than others did nothing really creative at all.

McAtee 6/10 – Least ran at them and won a few free kicks. Did more in 20 mins than most did all game. Might be the only one who you could say he did ok in a shambolic individual and collective performance.

Doyle 5/10 – Never really got into it but he at least showed for it. A dreadful corner at the end.

Sharp 3/10 – Barely had a kick.

Manager: Heckingbottom (McCall and Lester) 1/10 – Picked a strong team and had rested many but whatever prep we have done on shape/starting the game was clearly not good enough as we give away the same goal as Millwall. What are we playing at? Why do we have so many men forward and why are we so exposed. That is on them as much as the players – they can see at the corner where players are and need to tell one to stay back or keep deeper. We are ran through easily from our attack – after 3 or 4 minutes! After this we do better but not sure we have much clue how to create and do not get back in it. I expected a Millwall type half time team talk where we get into them, get on the ball and force them back. Absolutely the opposite happened. We were dreadful after half time and the team may as well have stayed in the changing room. We did nothing attacking and Blackburn should have scored 2 or 3 more. The subs came but it was too late as the rot had set in and they we almost panicked (yes agree with making changes and have criticised them for not doing it but we may aswell have done 4 or 5 at once – why change it 3 times in little spells?). We offered nothing and I felt we did not even chuck men forward. At 80 mins onwards, throw Egan up, go long, do something different but we had no idea at all. The coaching staff in the league at the moment are not getting the best out of the team as individuals or tactically and we have been outplayed really 3 out of the last 4 games and actually have been poor in other games at Rotherham and QPR. We need an urgent rethink away from home as at the moment we are awful in how we set up. We are not creating enough but looking terrible and open at the back.

Blackburn – Many, including me surprised they have stayed the pace when you see the number of defeats, look at goal difference and analyse all the XG and key stats which suggest they are over achieving. Personnel wise you would feel that too. They lost a few in the summer, have changed the manager and style but after a good start trailed off, they have stayed up there in an albeit poor division with a lot of parity. Recently been on a great run and credit must go the manager. The likes of them Luton, Millwall are doing as well or not better than the two relegated sides and many other so called bigger sides with more financial outlay. So to that sense they have done really well. We took them apart at the Lane completely and were too good for them but they have clearly solidified for the most part since then despite the occasional exception (the battering at Rotherham I recall?). We will see where it pans out – still have a nagging feeling they might trail off – a bit like last season but I could be wrong. They certainly have a resilience and a spirit and some underrated players to get so many wins (as much as I discuss the high number of defeats for a side so far up the league) – just not drawn many so their approach maybe needs to be applauded?

As for today they maybe were a bit fortunate to lead but it was a good break and did have another chance off the bar but in general play we were better first 30-35 mins and on another day United may have got a couple but they stayed in front. After the break they were much better than us. Worked harder, closed down the gaps and showed better desire and in the end could and should have had more. Worthy winners and showed they are maybe better than many thought in terms of how they set up. We showed in the week it is not always about players and individuals ability but often organisation and being hard to beat but keeping it when you can. They will now think they have a real chance of catching us after seeing how bad we are.

We will see them again in the cup in a fortnight which will be a different sort of game at the Lane and a prize of Wembley on the agenda. Maybe we might meet again in the playoffs too?! Blackburn certainly know how to beat us and will fancy winning in a few weeks too with the way they play on the break picking teams off.

Opponent Man of the Match – Pickering scored a good goal. Szmodics was lively and Gallagher worked hard. Travis is an irritating player and dives and cheats but he actually worked hard today and did all the things our midfield did not. However I was impressed with Thomas and a player surprised Huddersfield let go.

Opponent Weak link – Dolan was poor despite hitting the bar and had some wild shots and moments in the game.

Referee/Officials – Josh Smith. Recall he did the Norwich game and was appalling I believe? He also ‘did’ us at Watford and QPR so not a great deal of success under him this season! It continues but no fault to him today. He could and should have sent Basham off (two bad tackles) and Norwood and Egan pick up two stupid bookings and Norwood (7 yellow) will do well not to get to 10 yellow cards now and with McBurnie on 9 too we face further possible issues. No issues with his officiating. I was more concentrating on our appalling performance and desire.

Foderingham 5/10 – I might be alone but thought he did not cover enough of his goal on the shot for the first. Yes, it’s a decent finish but he does not dive long ways. Harsh as he was not protected really again – similar to Millwall. Saw one flash off his bar but had little to do to start so frustrating to let that early one in. Second half badly exposed and another hits his bar and they have balls coming in and us coughing it up and they missed chances to make it save. Not making many saves at the moment – a lot of shots going in too easily for me even with the poor defending
That's a couple of times now (I think one versus Millwall as well) where Wes has been in completely the wrong position. I haven't a clue what he's doing. Need to face up their player, set himself and try and react to the shot but treated it like it was from long range. Bizarre goalkeeping. They'd have probably scored anyway but it was just a gift.

Thanks for the report I didn't go to the game 😠 glad I didn't. Thought the whole point of resting players in midweek was to make sure we have fresh legs obviously that didn't work and please Hecky despite Sanders contract stipulating that he must play every game stick him on the subs bench

Great report. Sadly, I agree with all your low marks for this game. Truly insipid and worryingly inept performance. I share your frustration because the problems are as obvious as most of the solutions should be to the coaches. Boro now 4 up and the GD is disappearing rapidly. Reading on Tuesday is huge.

That's a couple of times now (I think one versus Millwall as well) where Wes has been in completely the wrong position. I haven't a clue what he's doing. Need to face up their player, set himself and try and react to the shot but treated it like it was from long range. Bizarre goalkeeping. They'd have probably scored anyway but it was just a gift.
Wes needs to join the long list of players who need replacing next season, whether that's the prem or much more likely the champ

We're all frustrated after that. We're not looking consistent enough to maintain the gap we had down to third. First 15 minutes after the break was awful.

Reactions, including this report, is probably a bit OTT though. Blackburn are decent when the match scenario is like today's. They are aggressive, well organised, difficult to play through and good at defending their box. They've conceded four times in the last nine games. Teams may think it's all about breaking them down, but then they hit you on the break. And after the interval they surprised us by going for our throat. They are good at protecting leads.

There are surely ways to beat them, but our game plan wasn't successful today. If given a new chance I think the management would have tried something different. Frustrating, but we're not so good that today was a huge surprise.

1677949600948.png

We're all frustrated after that. We're not looking consistent enough to maintain the gap we had down to third. First 15 minutes after the break was awful.

Reactions, including this report, is probably a bit OTT though. Blackburn are decent when the match scenario is like today's. They are aggressive, well organised, difficult to play through and good at defending their box. They've conceded four times in the last nine games. Teams may think it's all about breaking them down, but then they hit you on the break. And after the interval they surprised us by going for our throat. They are good at protecting leads.

There are surely ways to beat them, but our game plan wasn't successful today. If given a new chance I think the management would have tried something different. Frustrating, but we're not so good that today was a huge surprise.

View attachment 155105

Another reason why stats/XG are massively misleading and sometimes not a true reflection of games. Blackburn came closer to scoring than us twice more (the Bash chance apart) hitting the woodwork twice . Our possession was worthless largely as we created little. They did more with less.

It's worrying that if you/they know how Blackburn play we have set up in such a way.

I was not hugely surprised to lose but the manner of the 2nd half is a major worry. IT goes way beyind tactics, XG and formations - sometimes its around desire, tackls won and 50-50's. Always surprised they do not include this as a big metic when doing things like above? It relfects a lot on who wins those tackles, hedaers and loose balls. Especially at this level.

Blackburn worked hard but that 2nd half was atrocious. If we had played like we had first half I would not have been so criticical but it was an absolute mess after the break and the worry is the coaches and players did not adapt and regressed and did not look like creating anything at all.

The Sky commentary/punditry team were also as surprised how clueless we were. We sort of gave up and had no idea to break them down. As I say not sure one individual played well at all and that combined with the horrific 2nd half accounts for my anger. The lack of urgency and ability to get on the ball and impose themselves is something we have to be concerned about. Most of the time we tossed the ball away easily. It was a depressing watch.

Wes needs to join the long list of players who need replacing next season, whether that's the prem or much more likely the champ

He did really well last season and I was really surprised as he has been a journeyman keeper mostly and was content with him as our keeper moving forward but he has been average this year. Not sure he has had many games where he has made big performances like last year or got us out of the cart and shots are going in way too easily. Looks a very average Champ keeper currently. Lot more issues than him though and he is badly exposed at the moment away from home.

Another reason why stats/XG are massively misleading and sometimes not a true reflection of games. Blackburn came closer to scoring than us twice more (the Bash chance apart) hitting the woodwork twice . Our possession was worthless largely as we created little. They did more with less.

It's worrying that if you/they know how Blackburn play we have set up in such a way.

I was not hugely surprised to lose but the manner of the 2nd half is a major worry. IT goes way beyind tactics, XG and formations - sometimes its around desire, tackls won and 50-50's. Always surprised they do not include this as a big metic when doing things like above? It relfects a lot on who wins those tackles, hedaers and loose balls. Especially at this level.

Blackburn worked hard but that 2nd half was atrocious. If we had played like we had first half I would not have been so criticical but it was an absolute mess after the break and the worry is the coaches and players did not adapt and regressed and did not look like creating anything at all.

The Sky commentary/punditry team were also as surprised how clueless we were. We sort of gave up and had no idea to break them down. As I say not sure one individual played well at all and that combined with the horrific 2nd half accounts for my anger. The lack of urgency and ability to get on the ball and impose themselves is something we have to be concerned about. Most of the time we tossed the ball away easily. It was a depressing watch.
You'll like this one 😁

1677951122796.png

Passionate report DB reflects how most of us are feeling at the moment. Its not the fact we are losing its the manner of the defeats and the repeating of the same mistakes. After the tactical competence of the last 2 games we have reverted to type. Agree wholeheartedly about Lowe and Bogle. Easy on the eye going forward but incapable of tracking runners and defending. Baldock and Osborn have to come in for Reading. Doyle into midfield and I'd even consider giving Clark some game time to deal with the threat of Carroll. They've just lost 5-0 so you just know they will come flying out of the traps on Tuesday after a bollocking from Ince.

I disagreed with PH when he said he would rather lose some and win than remain undefeated by drawing games. Sorry but losing can become a habit just as winning is and scruffy points away from Home are the order of the day now. We changed tactics for Watford and the manager was almost apologetic about it yet we won by being tight in midfield and defence. We have to get back to being hard to score against. Anel was a big miss but tactically we were too easy to get around and behind. Opposition know by snuffing out Norwood they can counter quickly down the flanks. We have to adapt to deal with this during games.

Reading now becomes a must win game if only to keep confidence levels up as we have 3 more difficult away games to follow. PH passed the test against Watford, failed miserably to-day and now needs to get into the players to ensure we do not have a repeat of to-days insipid display.

A lot of our problems are that with Fleck, Norwood AND Berge we don't have ANY pace in midfield that can run at players OR cover when the opposition break quickly. Fleck is the worst as all they have to do is knock it forward and run past him. Norwood is similar but at least he tries to tackle. As for Berge ? Today was pathetic by him.

A lot of our problems are that with Fleck, Norwood AND Berge we don't have ANY pace in midfield that can run at players OR cover when the opposition break quickly. Fleck is the worst as all they have to do is knock it forward and run past him. Norwood is similar but at least he tries to tackle. As for Berge ? Today was pathetic by him.

Agreed. The lack of midfield legs has been an issue under 3 managers now for 3 seasons. We have not addressed it at all. The lad Travis is horrible but would be perfect for us to play alongside Berge and Norwood.

Should have sold Berge in January and used the money to bolster the squad. Absolute passenger and an hindrance to this team the majority of games. Can't defend at all. Takes a dozen of unnecessary touches before making a simple pass that he could've made if he'd just put his foot on the ball and lifted his head up. Doesn't shoot. And yes, there were others who were really poor today but Berge frustrates me the most because he is underperforming consistently. What does Hecky see in his performances to keep on starting him?

Lowe really should not be starting I agree Norrington Davis is needed but until he’s fit we need Osborne before Lowe. Max Lowe has returned to the terrible form he had before and he now needs some time on the bench and bye bye at the end of the season.
Bogles defending isn’t much better is it at least Baldock knows how to defend even if his performance today wasn’t anywhere near the required level.
Berge FFS on the edge of the box……HAVE A GO instead of dancing around outside the box maybe another one for the bench on Tuesday

Very good report Deadbat on a very poor show all round today and also later results going against us

Totally agree about our naive defending, particularly early in an away game.
That's the time to keep it tight.
They (and I include Millwall here) needed the win more than we did yet we gifted them the early advantage.

Worth a mention that Rovers only had a days extra rest against Robinson, Bogle, and WES. Eight of our starters did not start against Spurs yet looked nowhere near Blackburns energy levels and fitness, maybe it was just a lack of desire on our part which is a real worry.

Spot on that DB.
I still can’t fathom how Bash didn’t simply pass the ball into the net. Credit for breaking through like he did, but I’m gonna have nightmares about that all week!

I don’t think Berge was a 2. But I’m just splitting hairs on that. The majority just weren’t at it today.

Bring on Reading midweek. Turn this around!

Totally agree about our naive defending, particularly early in an away game.
That's the time to keep it tight.
They (and I include Millwall here) needed the win more than we did yet we gifted them the early advantage.
We lose the ball here:

1677956829857.png

Rovers break quickly and we have six players who are gonna struggle to get back.

Still behind the ball we have Fleck, Norwood, Basham and Bogle. No disaster yet. But Thomas gets on the ball and skips past Fleck. Blackburn players start bombing forward and we're in trouble.

1677957212765.png

But then Norwood also decide to try challenge Thomas, instead of running back, and is caught in noman's land. Thomas passes to Szmodics.

As he runs we can't keep up with their runners and they have a 4 (effectively 5) against 2 situation:

1677957413307.png

I'm not blaming Bash or Bogle here. They're left in a very difficult situation by their teammates. The damage is done.

Great report. But on the note of this ‘if Berge wants to be a top player’ which gets caveated a lot. Surely we are well well beyond the notion that it’s even the slightest possibility of him being a ‘top player’? He’s now 25!! He is literally in his prime and is often anonymous in championship games, his days of getting to the top are long gone and he should be spoken about in such terms imo. Some people still talk about him like we’re his stepping stone to greater things? Not a criticism just an observation.

Heckys post match interview was quite telling.

He said the stats meant absolutely nothing. In fact it looked like at times he was struggling to stay polite and not call it an absolute shower of piss.. and fair enough too because that's exactly what it was.

Hecky looked substantially more pissed off with the performance than some of the happy clappers on here who are like "oh we played ok kind of in moments, we're still going up because I'm oblivious to anything else going on around me"

If McBurnie isn't scoring he contributes very little. Is Jebbison injured? Could have done with him on the bench today.

He said the stats meant absolutely nothing. In fact it looked like at times he was struggling to stay polite and not call it an absolute shower of piss.. and fair enough too because that's exactly what it was.

Hecky looked substantially more pissed off with the performance than some of the happy clappers on here who are like "oh we played ok kind of in moments, we're still going up because I'm oblivious to anything else going on around me"

He often reels off a load of stats before declaring they don't mean anything.
He did it after Middlesbrough too. Another game that, in reality, we were outplayed in.

If they mean nothing, he shouldn't reference them and call the game properly.

"Paul Heckingbottom refused to say too much to his players following their 1-0 defeat at Blackburn Rovers today, insisting he wants to watch the performance back on video before holding an inquest into what went wrong at Ewood Park."

He needed to say too much. The team needed a rocket up them as well as management. No excuses for that showing from players or management.
They owe the travelling fans a performance not an insipid mess.

our away form is worrying because i was looking & in all competitions its 6 wins in 7 home games this calendar year (8 out of 9 since world cup) but its 1 in 6 away from home & no away win in the league since 29th December

Lowe a 3. He was barely even worth that.
He's terrible at defending, fucking useless going forward, .you criticise two players getting back slowly on the goal, Lowe was way behind everyone else and completely disinterested, in the first few minutes of the match. One of many appalling displays today. Heckingbottom needs to fucking roast the lot of them,
they ought to be training at 8 am tomorrow but they fucking well won't be.

Last edited:
Brian Deane criticised McBurnie for the rancid tap towards the keeper following Robinson's miskick, saying you're a striker, in the box, it's poor. Get the shot in. Essentially everyone going through the motions today and it's unacceptable really.

Worrying thing is that the lack of pace and athleticism in our midfield has been an issue for three years. Fleck is done, Berge is like Matt le Tissier, but with less talent and Norwood is lightweight.I genuinely believe that the midfield three on Wednesday offered better protection. It will be interesting when we play Blackburn in the cup if these three play.

Back
Top Bottom