Best Loan Signings?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

With our 'imminent' transfer business looking like being loans, I was trying to remember our best loan signings.

I came up with:

Matt Phillips - Absolutely mullered League 1 defences
Brayford - He was fantastic on loan
Gary Cahill - Like a rock.
Glynn Hodges - I remember him being incredible on loan (from Leeds?) and then being much less so when he signed an reverted to heavy drinking.

Who else?

Michael Twiss and John Cofie may not apply.

Connor Coady
Andy Reid
Bobby Davison (slayer of pigs)
John Harley (not so good when he signed permanently)
Phil Starbuck (rubbish after signing permanently)
Michael Brown (got better after signing permanently)
Paul Peschisolido
Greg Halford
Seem to remember Kinglsey Black looking decent.

Phillips and Brayford probably the best 2 I can recall.

Incoming! (HOPEFULLY!!!)

I'd say Bobby gave us an amazing night, a single memory.

Hodges was the catalyst to saving our PL status when dead and buried.

You don't know many pigs, especially those that were there in 1979, if you think Bobby only gave us one night. THAT NIGHT meant fucking Boxing Day never got mentioned in my company again without a repost, the like of which meant it stayed in its rancid box for evermore. Perhaps the best night I've had fully clothed!

Jon Harley is a great call. That period in the 02/03 season when he teamed up with Tonge and Brown down the left was fantastic. Badger/Woody/Currie lite!

You don't know many pigs, especially those that were there in 1979, if you think Bobby only gave us one night. THAT NIGHT meant fucking Boxing Day never got mentioned in my company again without a repost, the like of which meant it stayed in its rancid box for evermore. Perhaps the best night I've had fully clothed!

Jon Harley is a great call. That period in the 02/03 season when he teamed up with Tonge and Brown down the left was fantastic. Badger/Woody/Currie lite!
Maybe in Hark Now Hear, we should change Boxing Day to Bobby Day.

Agreed, impact wise was Davison, long term Hodges, who was one of the most skillful players in the top flight for us, Borbokis could only match him in terms of skill, however he never had the opportunity to do it for us in the PL.

With our 'imminent' transfer business looking like being loans, I was trying to remember our best loan signings.

I came up with:

Matt Phillips - Absolutely mullered League 1 defences
Brayford - He was fantastic on loan
Gary Cahill - Like a rock.
Glynn Hodges - I remember him being incredible on loan (from Leeds?) and then being much less so when he signed an reverted to heavy drinking.

Who else?

Michael Twiss and John Cofie may not apply.

Jon Harley was decent

I'll add Bruce Rioch to the list. I remember us beating Newcastle up in Geordie land with him bossing the game. I think we were relegated after he left.
Harley, Hodges and of course Davison are the others that stand out.

Always been amazed we want to commemorate it in one of our songs. I'd sooner refer to Doris Day than Boxing day.
I've always been lead to believe it refers to incidents following the game when The Wednesday ran away.

Strangely, I'd agree. Strangely because he never lived up to his promise - 15 goals in a career of 426 games. I remember a screamer he scored for us in the Kop end. One of those who flattered to deceive while on loan, see Ebanks-Landell and Brayford.

The screamer was in a 3-3 draw at home to West Ham.

But he always has a place in my heart for his sending off at Walsall for smashing Gareth the cunt Ainsworth. Only player I've given a standing ovation for being sent off.

Fair point, Hodges pretty much turned that season around, fantastic, fantastic player.

I think i owned a part of his toenail on his right foot.

Was John Brayford a loan initially ?

Cant remember !

Anyhoot, I’m also in the “this mans left foot is magic” camp 😀.

UTB

Hodges and Henderson are head and shoulders above everyone else

I've been reading 'The Crazy Gang' by Dave Bassett and Wally Downes (oraight, we're in lockdown!) and some bloody lovely memories of, and insight about and from, Glyn Hodges.

What a player, loved watching him. I'm not old enough to have seen Currie but even against this side I'd say Hodges is the most naturally talented I've seen pull on a Blades shirt. And yes he was the catalyst for keeping us up, nowt that followed would've happened without him. Class.

If we go up, does MGW jump above Henderson as best loan signing?

Best loan XI.

Henderson
Brayford Cahill —?— Harley
Phillips Coady —?— Hodges
MGW
—?—

Probably missed someone obvious.

Norwood and Webber were both loan-to-buy which we all know is the same as a normal transfer so they can’t play.

Henderson

Brayford. EEL Cahill. Harley

[blank]

Phillips. Coady. MGW

Windass Hogan

Scott Hogan delivered when it mattered, only really needed him for one game but it was a big un. Glynn Hodges and Bobby Davison were before my time.

Loved watching Dean Windass

Can’t think of decent holding midfielder as my memory of loan midfielders is a blur of Mark Rankine, Darren Bullock and Dean Hammond. Yik

Best loan XI.

Henderson
Brayford Cahill —?— Harley
Phillips Coady —?— Hodges
MGW
—?—

Probably missed someone obvious.

Norwood and Webber were both loan-to-buy which we all know is the same as a normal transfer so they can’t play.
Not sure if I remember this correctly but wasn't Michael Brown a loan signing at one point?

Back
Top Bottom