Berge

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Excellent today, as harsh as it is Hourihane and Ndiaye who are both good players in their own right, MGW works so much better with Fleck and Berge behind him. The flicks look a lot better when there’s someone on the end of them.

Fleck was great today - and has been said i think this midfield is our way forward.
Really pleased to hear this.
I couldn't attend today....it's rare that I miss home games.

I saw us on Sky away at Huddersfield and I thought Berge and Fleck struggled.
We really missed the passing and dominance of Norwood, think Hourahan been decent of late too.
When Norwood came on aa sub we were much better.

However we can't keep playing the Norwood/Hourahane pairing every match
so it was essential that Berge and Fleck develop a partnership and step up to the plate.

Absolute class today, l posted at the start of the season that it would be interesting to see him playing as a 10 with freedom to drop deeper in the same way Manuel Pelegrini used Yaya Toure. His attributes suit him being higher up the pitch, incredible today, my Man of the match.
Interesting. Yaya is the player that always comes to my mind when I think about Berge's potential. You're the first person, other than myself, I've seen reference him.

Midweek, and today, he attacked the byline, neck and neck with an opposition player, and he suddenly puts the after burners on and he is at the line, crossing the ball in, leaving the other player trailing in his wake.

The thing is, he doesn't "look" like he is running fast, but he has pace in him, for such a big lad.
I’m always shocked when people say he’s slow, he really isn’t. His running style is very deceptive as he never seems to be working hard at sprinting, a lazy running style, but when he is in full flow he is very quick without ever looking it if that makes sense. But you can see how quick he really is when it’s a foot race and he has the ball, he’s gone!

However we can't keep playing the Norwood/Hourahane pairing every match
so it was essential that Berge and Fleck develop a partnership and step up to the plate.

Indeed - there are games where Norwood and Hourihane may work as a central 2 - but the 3 in midfield plus MGW dropping here, there and everywhere made it a midfield 6 at times.

It simply worked, but Swansea were soft.

Would like to see this again v Blackburn - in fact, for once, lets just leave things exactly as they are as Swansea had no answer to our pressure, movement, pace and power with MGW being unplayable on today's performance.

UTB

He bossed it today. Touch of Coutts like class to the midfield. Needs to deliver that level of performance in every game and start adding goals. Think he can get better on heading and closing down, tackling some of the easier things to improve.
Haha! I had the Coutts song running through my head at half time. Tried to change the words but 'free from Derby' to 'in from Genk'e' didn't really work 😂

Always said there a player in there definitely in an advanced role, he came at a bad time just pre Covid, new country, family couldn’t be with him. He’s Had injury issues, he’s had to adjust to getting lumps kicked out of him, a fully fit Berge is an asset just hope he stays fit, big player for us on the run in. Class is permanent.

Or free !
Any older blades like me can see some similar qualities in Berge to the great TC.
The cameo he had at Preston showed the power he has didn't influence the game but the traites I saw really took me back to TC.
Today we saw it for most of the game,just like TC the strength he showed running with the ball players couldn't get near him.For the first time he bullied Swans players just like TC used to do.
May have found his fitness at last .
Having said that Morgan Gibbs was the star of the show ,sheer brilliance from him

Any older blades like me can see some similar qualities in Berge to the great TC.
The cameo he had at Preston showed the power he has didn't influence the game but the traites I saw really took me back to TC.
Today we saw it for most of the game,just like TC the strength he showed running with the ball players couldn't get near him.For the first time he bullied Swans players just like TC used to do.
Having said that Morgan Gibbs was the star of the show ,sheer brilliance from him

Let’s get things in perspective .

Sander Berge had a decent game today , possibly his best in a Blades shirt , against relatively poor opposition in the second tier of English football . In doing so , he didn’t score and had no assists .

That entitles him to be compared to TC .? I don’t think so .

Last edited:
Its all about opinions really isn't it?
I see that some weren't impressed with Berge whereas some are throwing praise at him.
I thought he was superb! He was strong and closed down well, getting in the tackles when needed.
He was all over the pitch and had a big influence on the game. He might not have scored or made the final assist but he was instrumental in our play. He regularly broke lines and started attacks, bringing others into play.
I hope that he can replicate this kind of performance on a more frequent basis. Exciting times if he does!!

Interesting. Yaya is the player that always comes to my mind when I think about Berge's potential. You're the first person, other than myself, I've seen reference him.
Was being called "the Norwegian Yaya Toure" or "Yaya Norway" in certain circles for ages, possibly since before he joined us even.

Definitely a lot of similarities, if he can even become 1/4 of the player that Toure was, he'll be incredible!

Let’s get things in perspective .

Sander Berge had a decent game today , possibly his best in a Blades shirt , against relatively poor opposition in the second tier of English football . In doing so , he didn’t score and had no assists .

That entitles him to be compared to TC .? I don’t think so .

Wow! that's a real hatchet job on Berge
I wasn't saying he's a new TC just commenting on this ability to ride tackles .
Iam a big TC fan Joe ! nothing wrong with comparing a players ability to a star of the past .
He is not as good ok ! and never will be .

Not Champions League standard but he has improved markedly in successive games. Don't know if it's a confidence thing but maybe he just doesn't realise his own potential.

He's even earned his own Norwegian flag in the south stand too now!

Sander Berge is TC ?
Kinell mate , there's positivity and then there's mind-bending psychosis.

Not Champions League standard but he has improved markedly in successive games. Don't know if it's a confidence thing but maybe he just doesn't realise his own potential.

He's even earned his own Norwegian flag in the south stand too now!
And that person gets his shirt every match. Must be costing us a fortune in shirts

Think you'll be waiting a while for Berge to make committed tackles. He's not that type of player, nor are any of our midfield really - which is a problem in my view, but Berge isn't there to win the ball he's there to glide forward, make incisive passers and to generally cause problems for the opposition.

It's like saying with other players, so and so can only head the ball and make a tackle and that's it, he's no good on the ball. We're Sheffield United and to be honest how many complete players have we got that can do everything for their position, each has their own strengths and weaknesses, Billy's not the fastest for example, if he had pace he'd have never played for us for long! Granted Berge cost £20m plus, maybe he should be better at the physical side of things but I think the key with Berge is to get the best out of what he does well, rather than focus on what he could do better.
He did do one good committed tackle, which the ref harshly blew for a foul.

Going to be sad day for the Berge haters
I don't hate him ,he's been relatively poor for 20 odd million ...I've said that before. However I'm absolutely delighted he's starting to shine ,I don't understand why you would think otherwise. I want my team to do well and win football matches ,and berge starting to perform will enhance us ...Great News for all concerned

Football has changed a lot this last 15-20 years. These days you win the ball back by blocking passing lanes, pressing and setting traps. Slide tackling is, unfortunately, becoming increasingly anachronistic.The punishments are too severe for even a benign mistimed slide tackle - it isn't advisable. I imagine Berge won the ball back more than any midfielder on the pitch because he had the intelligence and capacity to do all of the above.
I thought before his injury last season Berge was United's best player. He's taken a bit to get going since his injury this season, but he's looking fitter and stronger now. Unfortunately he needs managing due to our schedule, but I hope he can play more often than not.

I read a lot about what Berge has or hasn't done in the past for us - as a club we've hardly being firing on little more than 2 cylinders during his entire time here.

We've seen the type of performance yesterday and for me also at Huddersfield but in a slightly different position where he hardly gives the ball away, is rarely knocked off the ball and is spraying balls all over the place.

The talent is obvious to most and is ONE of the key elements to us dominating games coming into the last 3rd of the season (yes, there's a third left!).

Plenty of games, but he simply has to play in the team in his present form - in fact for me, THAT team yesterday should be our go to team now with only a few tweaks here and there.

15 games, one at a time and lets hunt down Bournemouth simply by continuing to win games of football.

Berge has to start most games now, MGW flitting around all over the place like yesterday and being virtually unplayable on yesterdays performance - have we stumbled on the ideal team and formation?

UTB

Last edited:
File "Berge can't tackle" alongside "Norwood pings it too much", "Basham runs funny" and "Sharps past it" in the silly SUFC opinions cabinet.

They are attributes that don't make our players top 6 prem players, but they are small problems in the grand scheme of who we are as a club.

UTB

He’s definitely a lot more suited to playing further forward as a pose to in the middle.

Back
Top Bottom