Ben White £50m

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

brownblade

Reaction score
One of Arsenal's scorers was the (arguably second choice) Right Back. Smashed it into the corner on his weaker foot.

I don't want to make excuses for our pathetic tactics and performance - but this is intrinsically related context.

Screenshot_20240305-091222.png

i.e. How much did our team cost?

It's not exactly a "fair" fight against the majority of Premier League teams is it. Money corrupts - the competition is skewed horribly against the football pyramid. The top 16 in the country buy the best players from around the world.

We did compete in 19/20, but it's the other end of the spectrum this season - yes we're crap unfortunately, for various reasons - but the other teams had a few more seasons of very expensive squad building.

One of Arsenal's scorers was the (arguably second choice) Right Back. Smashed it into the corner on his weaker foot.

I don't want to make excuses for our pathetic tactics and performance - but this is intrinsically related context.

View attachment 180149

i.e. How much did our team cost?

It's not exactly a "fair" fight against the majority of Premier League teams is it. Money corrupts - the competition is skewed horribly against the football pyramid. The top 16 in the country buy the best players from around the world.

We did compete in 19/20, but it's the other end of the spectrum this season - yes we're crap unfortunately, for various reasons - but the other teams had a few more seasons of very expensive squad building.

I read an interview with the (much criticised) Crystal Palace owner recently, link above.
Most relevant and interesting section below.
I'm not a huge fan of American Football as a spectacle, but have always appreciated the model which keeps it competitive.

On whether European football is 'fair'​

I'm competing against unlimited money. In Europe, it is illegal under anti-trust law for a foreign state to come in and buy an automobile company and subsidise it to let it compete with another automobile company.

I don't know why the European Union law allows it in football. [At Lyon] I have to compete against the country of Qatar to win first place.

I like [PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi], he has been very helpful. I would like him to ask himself if the competition in France is something he enjoys as I don't think anybody else does.

I think he wants to win every year and he wants to go to Europe. I want to win first place in France in a fair fight.

I have to deal with the competitive landscape that [means] a global footprint of talent identification is the only way I can try to compete against unlimited money. If I can find 11 players on the pitch that are better than the 11 you can buy, maybe I can beat them.

If the United States decides to buy Sheffield United tomorrow they would kick everybody's ass. Don't tell me English football is doing great. It's doing great when Sheffield United wins again. Don't tell me about Leicester. Everybody says it's fair because Leicester won [the Premier League in 2016] - come on!

The concentration of power and wealth has broken the game. This is why the NBA does well and how Kansas City can win the Super Bowl. That's why all those clubs are valuable. It's why the clubs make money, the fans love it and the teams really compete. Because it's a fair fight.

On Financial Fair Play and Premier League profit and sustainability rules​

Let me say something else about [chairman] Steve Parish. Do you know how hard it is to do his job?

Look at Nottingham Forest. This is a club with an owner that has an incredible amount of capital. And he comes in the Premier League and he's told you can't spend it. If you spend it and it falls into a category of losses then we are going to sanction you and we may send you back to the league you came from.

It's not about financial sustainability, it's not about financial fair play, nobody is protecting the little guy. This is [expletive]. This is people making sure that you can only spend a percentage of your revenue.

Steve has to run his club with a top line of revenues which is driven by television. If we want to put in a bunch of money to buy more players we're not allowed to.

So you have to watch your losses and you have to find a way to live between the eighth spot and 17th spot or you go back to the second division [the Championship].

If anybody thinks that I have a problem with the way that Steve is running the club, and [how he] has stayed up for 12 years, just because we have difference of opinion on things... try being Forest owner Evangelos Marinakis right now.

arsenal are Harrods shoppers
we are home bargains

they won 6-0 at west ham too , so its not just us suffering the inequality of it all

t sticks out more every passing season
But similarly we'd have loved to own West Ham's squad players. But realistically even they would be out of our transfer range and out of our wage budget.

Not even mentioning the biggest clubs stockpiling 40 players.

Other European leagues are hugely affected by the Premier League greed, as well as the EFL.

I read an interview with the (much criticised) Crystal Palace owner recently, link above.
I'm not a huge fan of American Football as a spectacle, but have always appreciated the model which keeps it competitive.

I'm competing against unlimited money. In Europe, it is illegal under anti-trust law for a foreign state to come in and buy an automobile company and subsidise it to let it compete with another automobile company.

I don't know why the European Union law allows it in football. [At Lyon] I have to compete against the country of Qatar to win first place.

I like [PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi], he has been very helpful. I would like him to ask himself if the competition in France is something he enjoys as I don't think anybody else does.

I think he wants to win every year and he wants to go to Europe. I want to win first place in France in a fair fight.

I have to deal with the competitive landscape that [means] a global footprint of talent identification is the only way I can try to compete against unlimited money. If I can find 11 players on the pitch that are better than the 11 you can buy, maybe I can beat them.

If the United States decides to buy Sheffield United tomorrow they would kick everybody's ass. Don't tell me English football is doing great. It's doing great when Sheffield United wins again. Don't tell me about Leicester. Everybody says it's fair because Leicester won [the Premier League in 2016] - come on!

The concentration of power and wealth has broken the game. This is why the NBA does well and how Kansas City can win the Super Bowl. That's why all those clubs are valuable. It's why the clubs make money, the fans love it and the teams really compete. Because it's a fair fight.

Let me say something else about [chairman] Steve Parish. Do you know how hard it is to do his job?

Look at Nottingham Forest. This is a club with an owner that has an incredible amount of capital. And he comes in the Premier League and he's told you can't spend it. If you spend it and it falls into a category of losses then we are going to sanction you and we may send you back to the league you came from.

It's not about financial sustainability, it's not about financial fair play, nobody is protecting the little guy. This is [expletive]. This is people making sure that you can only spend a percentage of your revenue.

Steve has to run his club with a top line of revenues which is driven by television. If we want to put in a bunch of money to buy more players we're not allowed to.

So you have to watch your losses and you have to find a way to live between the eighth spot and 17th spot or you go back to the second division [the Championship].

If anybody thinks that I have a problem with the way that Steve is running the club, and [how he] has stayed up for 12 years, just because we have difference of opinion on things... try being Forest owner Evangelos Marinakis right now.
Have to agree with this. Football is fundamentally broken. Never has the chasm between the top and the rest been greater. With the increase in CL games next season, more revenue, more exposure, it will only increase. And ofcourse lets not forget, even with this and Arsenal flying, City are ahead of them by a mile - theyve won 3 in a row, 4 out of 5 and who will bet againt them winning 4 in a row, even 5, 6 or 7 in a row by the time Pep calls it quits. We are turning into France, into Germany, where perhaps by exception someone else might win (Lille/Leverkusen)

But similarly we'd have loved to own West Ham's squad players. But realistically even they would be out of our transfer range and out of our wage budget.

Not even mentioning the biggest clubs stockpiling 40 players.

Other European leagues are hugely affected by the Premier League greed, as well as the EFL.
and therefore you can understand that a new "European Super League" excluding PL clubs makes sense - it will mean the biggest clubs in Europe can at least attempt to complete with a league whose TV revenues dwarf the rest of Europe combined.

Great link, thanks. Yep, agree with most of what he said.

Football doesn't need money to be good. Fans would get the same joy out of watching 11 cloggers v 11 cloggers in the Premier League.

Back
Top Bottom