Behind closed doors - good or bad for our edge ?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The spread isn't going to suddenly slow down or disappear in the short to medium term. Experts say cases will continue to double every 4 days. This season is over folks. Euros too. Forget the behind the closed doors nonsense, it won't last.

Sad, as would have loved to have seen how it all turned out in the European run. Also, Wednesday. Relegation was looking likely.

On the plus side mate.... stop the season now, give Wendy their 15 point deduction... Et Voila ! - Wendy are relegated :p

I'm so glad to be able to rely on your superior knowledge. This virus has certainly brought out the hilarious knowalls.

That's exactly what happened in the NBA last night.

Jazz - Thunder was just about to tip off. A team medic ran onto the court, whispered something in the refs ear, and all the players walked off the court. It turns out another player (who was not playing and was having a medical) has Coronavirus. Within the hour, the NBA had suspended the rest of the season (and their season is closer to the end than football is).

There are more players in a football squad and they are far more likely to travel internationally (if you discount Canada). It's only a matter of time before a player in one of our leagues is announced as having it, and then ... ?

It's still an early stage of corona, expect it to increase significantly in next weeks. China isolated it, the western world are taking measures for it not to spread as rapid. could last for months.

There will be far too much opposition to playing behind closed doors, either we get the games rescheduled and quickly to ensure we finish the season or the season is suspended.

There’s far too much opposition to playing behind closed doors, just listening to Pep yesterday, the game is for the fans and if the fans aren’t there there’s no point.

Also home teams are massively disadvantaged playing behind closed doors, so there will be opposition here too.

I suspect a range of options will be put forward to prem league clubs for them to vote.

However if a player or manager contracts the virus then games will suspended anyway and then the decision will be to suspend the season.

Is Pep being genuine though? He’s about to lose his title I’m not so sure his outlook would be the same if he was in Liverpool’s position

It's still an early stage of corona, expect it to increase significantly in next weeks. China isolated it, the western world are taking measures for it not to spread as rapid. could last for months.

My opinion is we are 5 to 6 weeks behind China and the behaviours of both the virus and human actions taken. This thing will run it's course and be fish and chip paper by the end of April.

The 1962-63 FA Cup final was played 3 weeks later than it was planned before the big freeze. We can have a 3 week break cant we?

Didn’t we have a thread at the start of the season predicting something going tits up and conspiring against us, I know we were thinking about it relegating us in some way, we’ll thats not the case I know, but it could cost us our first European qualification..

I know I’m being greedy, but I was looking forward to grasshoppers Zurich on a Thursday night in October...

The 1962-63 FA Cup final was played 3 weeks later than it was planned before the big freeze. We can have a 3 week break cant we?

I think the Prem is just trying to brute force it's way to the international break, and that nearly 2 week break will provide more information, as that's about when it's expected to be peaking.

I think almost everyone would agree that league football and the health of those particularly at risk from this virus, are the most important things. See what happens in the break, postpone until necessary, and resume.

Push the Euros to where the Nations League is.

Rather than ruining this season, I would suggest suspending this season and playing the final 10 games in August (or as soon as possible).

Then make next season a half-season with only 18 matches. Split each division in two with the top ten playing each other home and away and the bottom ten likewise.

Repeat the process in every league and back to normal in August 2021.

Seems likely to be announced today with streaming to ticket holders.will this be good or bad for our results ? I think good. Our team is self motivated , great togetherness and drive. Home support has been pretty tepid anyway and our away performances gain another edge. Only pity is that we don't have many games left against bottom half clubs. Europe here we come and good news for live viewing for those unlucky bastards in isolation or with the virus . UTMB ⚔⚔⚔

We all ought to turn up in the car park, 30,000 v Arsenal cause a safety issue, and they'll have to let us in :p

Plus better the season is expunged rather than behind closed doors.
I am 40 years without missing, and don't want that ending by a cunt in a suit.

Man City v Real postponed

For all those that are happy to cancel the Euros, any chance you could have a whip round to cover the cost of the money I'll lose from the flights I've already booked? Cheers
It's getting cancelled anyway, so quite how that requires 'us' to refund you I've no idea.

Just get teams who have games in hand to complete them so you all finish on the same matches at least.

Beat Villa, Champions League!

It's getting cancelled anyway, so quite how that requires 'us' to refund you I've no idea.

I'm just trying to point out that some of us would like the Euros to go ahead as planned if at all possible. It's being dismissed as an easy solution to solving the domestic season issue, when moving it will leave thousands of fans out of pocket.

I'm just trying to point out that some of us would like the Euros to go ahead as planned if at all possible. It's being dismissed as an easy solution to solving the domestic season issue, when moving it will leave thousands of fans out of pocket.
I'm sure they'll be some recompense, there has to be. Everyone wants it to go ahead, but I just doubt it will now. Like anything that's cancelled, logistics are just a hit that you have to take. Hopefully airlines will do their duties and take the hit from their insurers, but I somehow doubt it.

I'm sure they'll be some recompense, there has to be. Everyone wants it to go ahead, but I just doubt it will now. Like anything that's cancelled, logistics are just a hit that you have to take. Hopefully airlines will do their duties and take the hit from their insurers, but I somehow doubt it.

I think you're right and it will be cancelled to be honest, I have zero faith in getting any money back from the airlines and to be fair, why should they? They have given me a seat on a flight for the date I requested, it's not their fault I no longer have a reason to travel.

It would make more sense for the Euros to go ahead as planned, with any matches from this season being completed after the Euros. Then have a short break with the 2020/21 season going into the summer of 2021. With the Euros being spread across Europe, a lot of fans will have spent a lot of money on travel and accommodation, whereas domestic football fans won't have committed to spending that amount of money.

That's my selfish view on how the season should be reorganised anyway!

I think you're right and it will be cancelled to be honest, I have zero faith in getting any money back from the airlines and to be fair, why should they? They have given me a seat on a flight for the date I requested, it's not their fault I no longer have a reason to travel.

It would make more sense for the Euros to go ahead as planned, with any matches from this season being completed after the Euros. Then have a short break with the 2020/21 season going into the summer of 2021. With the Euros being spread across Europe, a lot of fans will have spent a lot of money on travel and accommodation, whereas domestic football fans won't have committed to spending that amount of money.

That's my selfish view on how the season should be reorganised anyway!

Thousands of people travelling across borders, many by plane, during what could still be a pandemic, and it "would make more sense"? Imagine hundreds if not thousands stranded in another country putting a burden on their health service.

Wow.

The problem you have then is contracts, they end in Jun, so in theory you're losing players potentially for the same season.

It is an alternative though, can delay start of next season till october or something, play till june.

Thousands of people travelling across borders, many by plane, during what could still be a pandemic, and it "would make more sense"? Imagine hundreds if not thousands stranded in another country putting a burden on their health service.

Wow.

FFS I just literally said on a post two prior to the one you quoted - "I'm just trying to point out that some of us would like the Euros to go ahead as planned if at all possible"

FFS I just literally said on a post two prior to the one you quoted - "I'm just trying to point out that some of us would like the Euros to go ahead as planned if at all possible"

Followed up by the sense comment. When it actually makes no sense whatsoever.

I genuinely hope you aren't out of pocket though.

Followed up by the sense comment. When it actually makes no sense whatsoever.

I genuinely hope you aren't out of pocket though.

If WHO deems the pandemic over and it is safe to travel by May, then it would make more sense in my opinion to play the Euros as planned and complete this season after.

I'm not suggesting we should play the tournament regardless and risk lives, hopefully the point I'm making is now clear.

Sod the closed doors option . Postpone games, yes. Finish the season when it's safe to do so even if it means having a knock on effect to next season.

Sod the closed doors option . Postpone games, yes. Finish the season when it's safe to do so even if it means having a knock on effect to next season.

A cup could be sacrificed for a year, share the prize money between the lower league clubs, and add an extra European place to the league.

The weekends for those games could be used to play league games and reduced the lag a little, plus a few more midweek games.

Postponement for as little time as possible, and fixing the problems after rather than muddling through, and potentially have a few teams racking up games in hand.

luckily the government are doing this with thought, the delay phase kicked in and the cheif medical officer says just now crowds do not pose a threat as a carrier they are sure would only infect 1 or 2 people so its just as likely that meeting in the pub beforehand
And closing schools is far too soon where we are now

So if we can eke out 3 or 4 more games before we need to take action we can re arrange the remaining 3 or 4 games a lot easier if we can squeeze closure into a fortnight to a month then play the last few

Back
Top Bottom