Beerschot link up

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Chateauroux had very much a rollercoaster couple of weeks.

They had an excellent 2-1 Derby win against US Orleans, scoring an injury time winner, Thomas Robinet with the winner. The young lad Doucouré scored the opener. This put them within 2 points of autos with 2 of their rivals still to play.

Anyway, screwed it right up at the weekend at home. Fresh from a 4 match suspension, Ferris N'Goma didn't have a day off and got offered the rest of the afternoon off after miscontrolling a ball and then lunging to recuperate it. Red card after 10 mins. Plenty of effort but the opposition keeper handballing outside the box got waved away by the ref and in the second half Annecy stuck away a 75th minute winner, not long before going down to 10 themselves.

Five points behind 3rd now and lodged in 5th it's not looking good for the team with the best budget in the National. Next game is against 3rd placed Villefranche, the capital of Beaujolais i.e. shit French wine or at least the Beaujolais nouveau was when I was living in France! A win away would reduce the arrears to 2 points but it's not looking good for them. They do have 2 of the bottom half teams after that so the expectation may get dragged to the final game if they should win next weekend. The lad that I mentioned of some promise appears to have broken his nose on this game too so that could be that for him this season.

Beerschot played a friendly and lost it 1-0 to Waasland-Beveren marked interestingly with them playing in all white shirts, almost like the old movies! It seems they are very much between old kit and new kit makers for now. Coulibaly so did a trialist left back, Weymans and interestingly Galchuk, on trial, a Ukranian keeper from Mariupol. You can get the Beershot home match shirt for as little as €19 for anyone who is onto that sort of thing (I'm not, only buy Unites shirts!).

Just 3 more matches for the United World this season and possibly for the last season too!

You can get the Beershot home match shirt for as little as €19 for anyone who is onto that sort of thing (I'm not, only buy Unites shirts!).

I actually thought about buying one but the P&P is extortionate @ €40. But that's Brexit for you.

A. How much does delivery cost?

Belgium
:
€95: free
< €95: €6.95

Neighbouring countries (The Netherlands, Germany, Luxemburg, France ):
€110: free
< €110: €12

Zone 1 of the EU (Austria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Greece, Hungary,Ireland, Italy, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden) + Switzerland + USA:
€250: free
< €250: €25

Rest of Europe + Mediterranean countries: €40

Rest of the world: €55

I actually thought about buying one but the P&P is extortionate @ €40. But that's Brexit for you.

A. How much does delivery cost?

Belgium
:

< €95: €6.95

Neighbouring countries (The Netherlands, Germany, Luxemburg, France ):

< €110: €12

Zone 1 of the EU (Austria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Greece, Hungary,Ireland, Italy, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden) + Switzerland + USA:

< €250: €25

Rest of Europe + Mediterranean countries: €40

Rest of the world: €55
I tried buying one for my son and when I put my UK address in it actually said there was no delivery option available at all!

Chateauroux had very much a rollercoaster couple of weeks.

They had an excellent 2-1 Derby win against US Orleans, scoring an injury time winner, Thomas Robinet with the winner. The young lad Doucouré scored the opener. This put them within 2 points of autos with 2 of their rivals still to play.

Anyway, screwed it right up at the weekend at home. Fresh from a 4 match suspension, Ferris N'Goma didn't have a day off and got offered the rest of the afternoon off after miscontrolling a ball and then lunging to recuperate it. Red card after 10 mins. Plenty of effort but the opposition keeper handballing outside the box got waved away by the ref and in the second half Annecy stuck away a 75th minute winner, not long before going down to 10 themselves.

Five points behind 3rd now and lodged in 5th it's not looking good for the team with the best budget in the National. Next game is against 3rd placed Villefranche, the capital of Beaujolais i.e. shit French wine or at least the Beaujolais nouveau was when I was living in France! A win away would reduce the arrears to 2 points but it's not looking good for them. They do have 2 of the bottom half teams after that so the expectation may get dragged to the final game if they should win next weekend. The lad that I mentioned of some promise appears to have broken his nose on this game too so that could be that for him this season.

Beerschot played a friendly and lost it 1-0 to Waasland-Beveren marked interestingly with them playing in all white shirts, almost like the old movies! It seems they are very much between old kit and new kit makers for now. Coulibaly so did a trialist left back, Weymans and interestingly Galchuk, on trial, a Ukranian keeper from Mariupol. You can get the Beershot home match shirt for as little as €19 for anyone who is onto that sort of thing (I'm not, only buy Unites shirts!).

Just 3 more matches for the United World this season and possibly for the last season too!
Any pics?

Captain Sanusi signed a new contract. Finally some good news after a dozen of players left on a free transfer including crowd favourites Holzhauser, Dom and Pietermaat. Also a new Austrian manager signed from LASK. Should be all about high press.
Is that common in Belgium to have clauses where you leave for nothing.

Always makes me laugh this sort of scenario where the team goes down and half the players wash their hands of it, as if it was nothing to do with them.

Holzhauser was a real shadow of himself. Such a pity as there were such high expectations of him.

I liked Dom. I thought he played with a lot of maturity and heart.

Maybe I didn't see him at his best but I thought Pietermaat was easily replaceable, you can't have tok many non-scoring midfielders in your team if they aren't they outstanding at other things.

I saw the French centre back, Bourdan also went the same way.

What is your take on Francis Vrancken? I know the Prince gets a lot of flack for his distant involvement but what about him? Isn't he co-owner?

Is that common in Belgium to have clauses where you leave for nothing.

Always makes me laugh this sort of scenario where the team goes down and half the players wash their hands of it, as if it was nothing to do with them.

Holzhauser was a real shadow of himself. Such a pity as there were such high expectations of him.

I liked Dom. I thought he played with a lot of maturity and heart.

Maybe I didn't see him at his best but I thought Pietermaat was easily replaceable, you can't have tok many non-scoring midfielders in your team if they aren't they outstanding at other things.

I saw the French centre back, Bourdan also went the same way.

What is your take on Francis Vrancken? I know the Prince gets a lot of flack for his distant involvement but what about him? Isn't he co-owner?

The relegation clausules certainly are not common and a cause for a lot of criticism of the board. Some players were also quoted they did not ask for such a clause but is was standard in their contract. It makes sense to cut the wage bill but just letting all your best players leave on free transfers is crazy. They could have recouped serious money for players like Holzhauser and Dom.
The deal between the co-owners is that the prince is responsible for the sporting side of running the club and Vrancken for the infrastructure side. So it’s clear who gets the most criticism. I think Blades fans are very patient with prince seeing that he gave you a nightmare season in the PL, did nothing in the winter transfer period to try and change things, then appointed a high profile manager in the championship and gave him zero backing despite parachute payments of 100 million. Why did he ever wanted to buy clubs if you simply don’t have the funds to properly run them. Beyond me.

Rumour of the day is that Coulibaly would run down his contract with us. I am not against that since I rate him highly despite a poor season but if you look at it objectively, it’s all madness and mismanagement of every club in the group.

Rumour of the day is that Coulibaly would run down his contract with us. I am not against that since I rate him highly despite a poor season but if you look at it objectively, it’s all madness and mismanagement of every club in the group.
Seems to be far too many players who get to the end of their contracts and decisions only get taken at the last minute.

Keeping Sanusi is a positive but it's his desire to remain, rather than good planning.

As you've alluded to, Tissoudali could have been retained with more foresight. It seems there was no need to lose those you've mentioned for nil. Over at Chateauroux, the guy Ilyas Chouaref has wasted a year through contract dispute and will join Sion this summer, probably for not too much.

It also looks like Secoure will go from there and he's only 20 and looked a decent prospect.

Even with United they've pushed their luck a bit. On one hand I was quite impressed how tied to the club's success the contracts were. We made a modest profit the last 2 years mainly because wages were kept in check. But on the other hand, waiting until the close season to retain Sharp and Basham seemed to create unnecessary insecurity for both of them. How difficult can it be to say if we are at this level you earn x and the other level you earn y? Likewise just taken up the year's option on Robinson and Osborn when you also have Fleck, Stevens and Norwood out of contract and Sharp again just feels like kicking the can down the road.

I'm just not convinced there are quite enough collaborative visionaries across the group to make United World work as it could. At present, it's a few clubs under 1 umbrella possibly sharing data and maybe on odd occasions there might be visits by another club's coaching staff. Hell, they haven't even managed a friendly between any of the clubs yet. The Indian and Saudi clubs offer little use as far as I can see to Beershot, Chateauroux or United. As far as I can imagine, the Saudi club will be the Prince's on his doorstep interest and maybe the Indian team helps feed that? No idea.

For the European teams it feels to me that you're either all in or not at all. Sending Broadbent, who hadn't played any senior football and Seriki were mistakes and lacked any insightful planning. Maybe in 1B but 1A was a big miscalculation and anyone seeing Dom and knowing Halaïmia was back up left very little room for a young kid to gain experience. He might have stood a chance if he was a left back. He went to non league and apparently was excellent. That's the move he should have made in September.

It feels like there should be and end of season summit for this to work. They look at the status of players - who has likely outgrown Chateauroux. Is he useful for Beerschot or United? Who might be itching to leave Belgium for England? Also of the Blades successful U23 team, a number now have a year of men's football under their belt. Could a few go together at once and help make a difference in Belgium or France? Players like Brunt and Neil for instance or Lopata,? Send over a batch and it's less likely a singular player would fail.

One of these things that sounds great in practice but in reality is hard to execute. Watford/Udinese seem to make it work.

We were one of the first to try it. We had United, Chengdu, Ferencvaros, Central Coast Mariners and White Star Woluwe. Some Jamaicans were hired into White Star, United had a Chinese player come in for one game and we sent a couple of youths on loan to the Mariners. But I can't recall any major benefits. Main ones I suppose were we sent Matt Lowton to Ferencvaros when we were spoiler with Kyle Walker and Kyle Naughton on our books. He came back a better player. It also gave long serving player Nick Montgomery a nice change of career to the Mariners where he's transitioned to manager and by all accounts loves it there.

Best laid plans and all...

Seems to be far too many players who get to the end of their contracts and decisions only get taken at the last minute.

Keeping Sanusi is a positive but it's his desire to remain, rather than good planning.

As you've alluded to, Tissoudali could have been retained with more foresight. It seems there was no need to lose those you've mentioned for nil. Over at Chateauroux, the guy Ilyas Chouaref has wasted a year through contract dispute and will join Sion this summer, probably for not too much.

It also looks like Secoure will go from there and he's only 20 and looked a decent prospect.

Even with United they've pushed their luck a bit. On one hand I was quite impressed how tied to the club's success the contracts were. We made a modest profit the last 2 years mainly because wages were kept in check. But on the other hand, waiting until the close season to retain Sharp and Basham seemed to create unnecessary insecurity for both of them. How difficult can it be to say if we are at this level you earn x and the other level you earn y? Likewise just taken up the year's option on Robinson and Osborn when you also have Fleck, Stevens and Norwood out of contract and Sharp again just feels like kicking the can down the road.

I'm just not convinced there are quite enough collaborative visionaries across the group to make United World work as it could. At present, it's a few clubs under 1 umbrella possibly sharing data and maybe on odd occasions there might be visits by another club's coaching staff. Hell, they haven't even managed a friendly between any of the clubs yet. The Indian and Saudi clubs offer little use as far as I can see to Beershot, Chateauroux or United. As far as I can imagine, the Saudi club will be the Prince's on his doorstep interest and maybe the Indian team helps feed that? No idea.

For the European teams it feels to me that you're either all in or not at all. Sending Broadbent, who hadn't played any senior football and Seriki were mistakes and lacked any insightful planning. Maybe in 1B but 1A was a big miscalculation and anyone seeing Dom and knowing Halaïmia was back up left very little room for a young kid to gain experience. He might have stood a chance if he was a left back. He went to non league and apparently was excellent. That's the move he should have made in September.

It feels like there should be and end of season summit for this to work. They look at the status of players - who has likely outgrown Chateauroux. Is he useful for Beerschot or United? Who might be itching to leave Belgium for England? Also of the Blades successful U23 team, a number now have a year of men's football under their belt. Could a few go together at once and help make a difference in Belgium or France? Players like Brunt and Neil for instance or Lopata,? Send over a batch and it's less likely a singular player would fail.

One of these things that sounds great in practice but in reality is hard to execute. Watford/Udinese seem to make it work.

We were one of the first to try it. We had United, Chengdu, Ferencvaros, Central Coast Mariners and White Star Woluwe. Some Jamaicans were hired into White Star, United had a Chinese player come in for one game and we sent a couple of youths on loan to the Mariners. But I can't recall any major benefits. Main ones I suppose were we sent Matt Lowton to Ferencvaros when we were spoiler with Kyle Walker and Kyle Naughton on our books. He came back a better player. It also gave long serving player Nick Montgomery a nice change of career to the Mariners where he's transitioned to manager and by all accounts loves it there.

Only Chengdu were part of United. The others were joint ventures etc effectively with Scarborough Group.

You mention a Saudi club in United World, I wasn't aware of that...

Only Chengdu were part of United. The others were joint ventures etc effectively with Scarborough Group.
That's true the ownership was under different groups. It did seem where property opportunities were in place it was Scarborough who owned.

My point was moreso we were one of the first to try creating a network of football clubs at the time. Obviously different iterations have followed of various different types.

Is he thinking of the Emirati club Al Hilal United?
Yes, I hadn't checked that bit. I'd forgotten it was in one of his neighboring countries and not his immediate one.

Last edited:

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't YorkBlade say he is on a 5 year contract with a 3 yr loan to Beerschot?

So far after six now exercised their relegation release clause to leave for free, plus a few already gone. Beerschot has witnessed the following nine departures:

Jerome Dom (RB)
Reda Halaimia (RB)
Pierre Bourdin (LCB)
Tom Pietermaat (DM)
Raphael Holzhauser (AM)
Mushashi Suzuki (CF)
Marius Noubissi (CF)
David Mukuna (CF)
Euloge Placca Fessou (CF)

On the flip side one new contract for 3 years:

Ryan Sanusi (DM)

One new signing:

Robbe Quirynen (RB, 20, Antwerp)

One expected:
Thibaud Verlinden (RW, 22, DAC Slovakia)

Returning from loan:
Issa Soumare
Blessing Eleke

Currently leaves them with:

G (3): Biebauw, Vanhamel, Joly
RB (1): Quirynen
LB (0)
CB (4): Van den Bergh, Frans, Radic, Konstantopoulos
DM (2): Sanusi, Rigo
CM (2): Coulibaly, Okyere
AM (2): Vaca, Sebaoui
RW (1): Verlinden
LW (2): Krekovic, Soumare
F (2): Shankland, Eleke

Their new manager is na Austrian called Andreas Wieland who was last seen at LASK is joining and the former manager Javier Torrente just got a job at Chilean first division team Deportes Antofagasta.

Sebaoui just scored his first two international goals for Morocco U21s against Mauritania in a 4-21 victory.

Last edited:
So far after six now exercised their relegation release clause to leave for free, plus a few already gone. Beerschot has witnessed the following nine departures:

Jerome Dom (RB)
Reda Halaimia (RB)
Pierre Bourdin (LCB)
Tom Pietermaat (DM)
Raphael Holzhauser (AM)
Mushashi Suzuki (CF)
Marius Noubissi (CF)
David Mukuna (CF)
Euloge Placca Fessou (CF)

On the flip side one new contract for 3 years:

Ryan Sanusi (DM)

One new signing:

Robbe Quirynen (RB, 20, Antwerp)

One expected:
Thibaud Verlinden (RW, 22, DAC Slovakia)

Returning from loan:
Issa Soumare
Blessing Eleke

Currently leaves them with:

G (3): Biebauw, Vanhamel, Joly
RB (1): Quirynen
LB (0)
CB (4): Van den Bergh, Frans, Radic, Konstantopoulos
DM (2): Sanusi, Rigo
CM (2): Coulibaly, Okyere
AM (2): Vaca, Sebaoui
RW (1): Verlinden
LW (2): Krekovic, Soumare
F (2): Shankland, Eleke

Their new manager is na Austrian called Andreas Wieland who was last seen at LASK is joining and the former manager Javier Torrente just got a job at Chilean first division team Deportes Antofagasta.

Sebaoui just scored his first two international goals for Morocco U21s against Mauritania in a 4-21 victory.
Biebauw’s contract expires this month, given his age he will probably stop. Vanhamel has been given the message that he no longer features in the club’s plans so he will be looking for a new club. A new goalkeeper will therefore be a priority. I can’t see Eleke still being part of our squad. I expect him to be released on a free transfer as well. The future of Sebaoui (linked with Club Brugge and KV Mechelen), Coulibaly (linked with AA Gent) and Shankland is uncertain. Not sure those players will want to play for us in 1b. So still lots of work on the table to form a competitive team.

Does anyone here has knowledge on Verlinden from his time at Stoke and Bolton? Is he any good? Despite being a Belgian player he never played in Belgium before. Thanks

Biebauw’s contract expires this month, given his age he will probably stop. Vanhamel has been given the message that he no longer features in the club’s plans so he will be looking for a new club. A new goalkeeper will therefore be a priority. I can’t see Eleke still being part of our squad. I expect him to be released on a free transfer as well. The future of Sebaoui (linked with Club Brugge and KV Mechelen), Coulibaly (linked with AA Gent) and Shankland is uncertain. Not sure those players will want to play for us in 1b. So still lots of work on the table to form a competitive team.
You can probably add Radic to that list. It seems be doesn't have a clause but he was linked with a team in Poland I think as well as.United though I'd be amazed if we spent much in the way of fees.

I'd still say you need a keeper, 2 more fullbacks, arguably three, a new centre back of Radic moves, a new centre mid if Coulibaly doesn't remain, another wide player and striker, with Eleke and Shankland also needing replacing if they move on.

Looks like being a busy summer.

All Kev's clubs were in exactly the same places as he was looking to invest.

He's got a decent record in Germany, hasn't he?

Our new manager:

He looks old for 38. Must have had a hard life!

Looks like Beerschot will lose another player, this time by choice, as Krekovic will head back to Croatia with HNK Sibenik, Beerschot looking to get back some of the 200k Euros they spent in getting him.

He scarcely made an impact. Another one of Van Winkel's Championship Manager buys.

Assembling so many foreigners and hoping they would gel was naive in the extreme. At least the two most recent incomings are both players from Belgium. Maybe lessons learned but this one puts the numbers down again.

Verlinden signed today. It seems they have shifted their transfer policy from foreign and unproven to Belgian and on the verge of either realizing their high potential or wasting their talent based on the 2 latest signings and other incoming rumors.
On Krekovic, he proved to been shockingly bad, he was even out of pace in the reserve team matches. A scout that recommended him must have been blind or have a very bad character.

Back
Top Bottom