BBC Top 10

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I am surprised but it just shows what a footballing backwater Sheffield has become.

I don’t think it helps that we’re in different divisions to each other most of the time. I doubt there is another major rivalry in the country where the two clubs play each other so little.

That is an excellent point and in my outrage, one I had not considered!

EPL and not Div 1

I also thought that but there is also an east midlands section that includes Forest, Derby, Coventry and Leicester. Only one of those teams, other than Leicester, have been in the Prem for one solitary season in the last 20 years

There have also only been 6 'East Midland' derbies in the PL (this is the Leicester-Forest version). And you can't say that's worthy of being in the Top 10 more than the Sheffield derby? I think the only reason that makes the list is because they're playing in the FA Cup next weekend.

The 91/92 2-0 and 1-3 were cracking derbies for different reasons, but they were Div 1 rather than Prem games.

In the prem we've had 3 x 1-1 draws and the other we lost 3-1 at the sty

There hasn't been a top flight Steel City Derby since 1993/94 has there so no wonder.

Despite it being great that the Pigs have been outside it for almost 25 years now I still find it a shame that both Sheffield clubs can't seem to get there, a MASSIVE let down for the city.

If we ever get back there I'd like to see them come up as well so we can have a couple of elite derbies and then they can fuck off back down again for another 25 years.

What a sad indictment to be overlooked in favour of Chelsea-Fulham, Brighton-Palace and even Spurs-Chelsea!

but i was looking & in the last 50 years we have 6 top flight derbies & last 1 was 28 years ago. you cant blame them. it was so long ago graham taylor had only resigned as england manager 2 months prior. in addition since the 1970's we have had 20 2nd tier derbies & 4 3rd tier derbies.

in addition, you have birmingham have had 14 in last 20 years & 31 in last 50 years

It should be and is in the top 10 derbies in the country.
The rivalry and intensity of it is deffo up there because of the very nature of Sheffield and because we aren't that dissimilar in size really especially now.
It's varied over the history of both clubs but for instance circa 30 years ago the other lot were a bigger club, I don't think they are now.

As a PL derby there hasn't been many and Wednesday have now been out of the top flight since 2000.

Alot of younger fans, journalists etc. especially one's that only really follow your top 6 clubs, have to research the history of the top flight to find that SWFC had a spell in the top flight and indeed the PL within the last 30 years.

How many East Midland derbies have there been in the Prem anyway?

I am surprised but it just shows what a footballing backwater Sheffield has become.

I don’t think it helps that we’re in different divisions to each other most of the time. I doubt there is another major rivalry in the country where the two clubs play each other so little.
Bristol City and rovers or maybe forest and County

top 10 British derbies for me not in any order:
Rangers v Celtic
Newcastle v Sunderland
Sheffield derby
Leeds v Man Utd
West Ham v Millwall
Birmingham v Villa
Cardiff v Swansea
Forest v Derby
North London derby
Manchester derby

top 10 British derbies for me not in any order:
Rangers v Celtic
Newcastle v Sunderland
Sheffield derby
Leeds v Man Utd
West Ham v Millwall
Birmingham v Villa
Cardiff v Swansea
Forest v Derby
North London derby
Manchester derby
I would probably replace the Manchester derby with Liverpool vs Man Utd. They both see greater importance in that game than playing their city rivals. Isn’t Hearts and Hibs quite tasty?

I would probably replace the Manchester derby with Liverpool vs Man Utd. They both see greater importance in that game than playing their city rivals. Isn’t Hearts and Hibs quite tasty?
You're right, not sure why I left that out. Yeh Hearts and Hibs is good one...might sneak in there above Forest v Derby

Surprised they’ve missed Southampton v Pompey
or even Norwich v Ipswich.

Would have thought those fixtures have been played in the PL.

They seem to be focussing on current teams in the PL.

Back
Top Bottom