Baxter

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bergen Blade

Reaction score
What did you think of his performance?

I thought he was reasonably busy first half, even making some runs in behind and down the channels, which he doesn't do a lot of. His finishing should have been better when he was clean through on goal. I liked the team today, but Baxter up front, like last season, looked like just a temporary solution.

I was surprised he stayed on for the full game, and in the last 20 minutes he varied from good when he sprayed some decent passes around, to very poor, as he lost the ball in dangerous positions and looked very unfit and embarrassingly slow when real chasing was required.

I am sure the plan was for us to keep possession with Baxter deeper and dictating things in the last 20 minutes, but it almost backfired. When the aim is so obviously to keep possession and see time out it sends a signal out that we're not going to attack and this can give the opposition, even a poor looking Bradford side with ten men, some belief that they can nick something at the end, some realisation that they can spend their energy on bombing forward rather than just defending.

Clough was right to put McNulty on, but wrong to take Scougall off and leave Baxter on. I think Scougall could have enjoyed the last 15 minutes as there was finally some space to run into for him. Oh, and what was that late free kick about? Well won by Flynn, good distance and in Baxter a player with a thunderbolt shot, and we chose to roll it sideways?

Baxter is a very nice footballer - quite classy at this level - but sorry, leaving Scoogs in the team AGAIN instead on Mcnulty was not good.

Baxter is not now and never will be an "up top" player.

We pi$$ed around for long periods with a midfielder playing centre forward and hey presto, we go in 0 - 0.

The case for McNulty is now overwhelming.

We very nearly did not get 3 points due to;

1) not going in at HT winning
2) when we had 80% play not scoring a centre forward type goal
3) Harris's goal was a sweet strike, but we should not be relying on that type of goal.

In the end, post. bar, great save and off the line.

We gave them too much respect at 1 nil, just as we did v Orient last week, where after "winning" the game at 2-1 we just dropped off - same as tonight.

So, we move on, thanks for the 3 points - more work on the training ground this week.

UTB

I am a massive fan of Baxter, but he frustrated me today.

I'd echo your comments Bergen; in the first half, despite not scoring from good chances I thought he played the lone striker role quite well and was busier than usual.

I think he looked tired from about the hour mark, and he miss hit a couple of passes. I too would have liked him to come off for McNulty, leaving Scougall on. I would have brought Flynn on earlier too, possibly even for Alcock. I don't think we faced much threat down Bradford's left hand side and they were worried by JCR. I think Flynn from a 'right back' position would have given us great attacking options down the right hand side, when we didn't have much to worry about coming the other way.

I like baxter but I thought he was a bit sloppy today, he had a free role and just seemed to give the ball away too much

Was him who slowed the game down so much he plays such a pivotal roe that he dictates the pace of the game and im afraid hes not the genius he thinks he is at times

Baxter had 3 good chances and looked to have no belief in his own finishing ability which was disappoimting , he got through which is good , but we have to be clinical

I like baxter but I thought he was a bit sloppy today, he had a free role and just seemed to give the ball away too much

Was him who slowed the game down so much he plays such a pivotal roe that he dictates the pace of the game and im afraid hes not the genius he thinks he is at times

I think the key is having him in the right area of the pitch - he can slow the game down when he is really deep, but I think he always looks dangerous and capable of scoring or creating when he picks the ball up, facing the goal 30-40 yards out.

Thought Baxter was garbage today to be honest. Two awful finishes. Jogging around without really showing enough and gave ball away an awful lot. Sadly Scougall for all huff and puff was not much better. Whisper it but I was crying out for McNulty and Porter to be put on for those two when at 0-0.

Thought Baxter was garbage today to be honest. Two awful finishes. Jogging around without really showing enough and gave ball away an awful lot. Sadly Scougall for all huff and puff was not much better. Whisper it but I was crying out for McNulty and Porter to be put on for those two when at 0-0.

Agree about Baxter
Disagree about Scougs
Much better from Scougal today he harried and pressed and his link play was very good too. He should have stayed on instead of Baxter when the change was made. He links better with McNuts than Baxter does

We won 2-0 and people are still fucking whining and moaning. Fuck off if you can't enjoy watching us win.

Anyone claiming that José was garbage (yes including you Deadbat) really need to try and face reality or just pure and simply shut up. Baxter is not a striker. That's evident in the way he plays in a deeper role. In midfield he bosses games and he did nothing wrong in midfield tonight. Up top he wasn't great but that's because he isn't a striker! Just take a look at his finishing for evidence! Scougall shouldn't have started based on recent form but in the end I'm glad he proved me wrong. Basham was good also.

All in all we won. And if you still need to bitch and moan about us then don't bother turning up anymore because you won't be missed. Not that some of you even go regularly. This isn't a dig at everyone, just selected individuals.

We won 2-0 and people are still fucking whining and moaning. Fuck off if you can't enjoy watching us win.

Anyone claiming that José was garbage (yes including you Deadbat) really need to try and face reality or just pure and simply shut up. Baxter is not a striker. That's evident in the way he plays in a deeper role. In midfield he bosses games and he did nothing wrong in midfield tonight. Up top he wasn't great but that's because he isn't a striker! Just take a look at his finishing for evidence! Scougall shouldn't have started based on recent form but in the end I'm glad he proved me wrong. Basham was good also.

All in all we won. And if you still need to bitch and moan about us then don't bother turning up anymore because you won't be missed. Not that some of you even go regularly. This isn't a dig at everyone, just selected individuals.
Oh ok
Are you twelve ?

When I write on here and on the scandinavian blog the underlying theme is always "how can we improve". One of the great things about supporting United is our potential. So, even when we win I will say what I think wasn't great because if we can improve on those things we'll have a much better chance of long term success. It doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the match today.

I like Baxter and have defended him but he was poor today. Regardless of where he should play or not play he has to do better than that v 11 or 10. His control and touch was poor; his finishing powder puff and the gave the ball away a lot.

That free kick had me barking like a loon at the box.
Great piece of football wasn't it. free kick just outside a decent shooting range and we end up passing it back to our keeper in 4 passes who is being chased down by their striker. infuriating, but who is responsible, the players or the coach?

In the end, post. bar, great save and off the line.

We gave them too much respect at 1 nil, just as we did v Orient last week, where after "winning" the game at 2-1 we just dropped off - same as tonight.

In fairness, we might have had three penalties tonight, scougall, baxter and a handball. It would have been a tragedy if we hadn't won, but I do accept we make it difficult for ourselves.

Great piece of football wasn't it. free kick just outside a decent shooting range and we end up passing it back to our keeper in 4 passes who is being chased down by their striker. infuriating, but who is responsible, the players or the coach?
Players I reckon, we needed the experience d spine of mcarthy, Doyle and Baxter to man up and take control.

he is out of contract at the end of the season, and is not willing to sign a new deal i been told. He looking to move on he put some fat on him lately

In reality we SHOULD have been winning at half time considering the great chances we created, but Baxter is not a natural finisher.

At 1 nil against 10 men we dropped off again and Bradford nearly equalised - same thing happened last Saturday at home to Orient - we got 2-1 up and dropped off.

We should have been winning 3 nil half way through the 2nd half and not pissing around letting teams come back into the game - hence the reason Cloughy going absolutely bonkers on the side lines.

We are all really chuffed we won, we just make like very difficult for ourselves when there is absolutely no reason to - It appears as though you can't see the obvious.

UTB

No matter what we do the same people moan about the same thing over and over again even if it isn't warranted. The only thing wrong with tonight was the players sitting back ridiculously after we got ourselves in front. Baxter wasn't awful, far from it. He isn't shit, he isn't fat, he isn't a striker. The constant, ridiculous stick he receives is just not needed. McCarthy and Campbell-Ryce were the two weak points for me, constantly passing to Bradford players.

It's worth bearing in mind that Baxter is given a different role almost every week and often switches in the middle of games. That shows Clough has tremendous faith in him and feels his performances are always to a good standard irrespective of where he is deployed. I agree.

As for comments about his weight....it's the way he's built and he certainly isn't fat. I think he looks very solid actually.

He's a fuckin luxury brings nothing to this team what's so ever anybody who says any different is on another planet how Clough left Baxter on and took Scoogs off is beyond me .
If Clough doesn't start Mcnulty and Higgy in a 442 or someone similar in a 442 we are staying down

What did you think of his performance?

I thought he was reasonably busy first half, even making some runs in behind and down the channels, which he doesn't do a lot of. His finishing should have been better when he was clean through on goal. I liked the team today, but Baxter up front, like last season, looked like just a temporary solution.

I was surprised he stayed on for the full game, and in the last 20 minutes he varied from good when he sprayed some decent passes around, to very poor, as he lost the ball in dangerous positions and looked very unfit and embarrassingly slow when real chasing was required.

I am sure the plan was for us to keep possession with Baxter deeper and dictating things in the last 20 minutes, but it almost backfired. When the aim is so obviously to keep possession and see time out it sends a signal out that we're not going to attack and this can give the opposition, even a poor looking Bradford side with ten men, some belief that they can nick something at the end, some realisation that they can spend their energy on bombing forward rather than just defending.

Clough was right to put McNulty on, but wrong to take Scougall off and leave Baxter on. I think Scougall could have enjoyed the last 15 minutes as there was finally some space to run into for him. Oh, and what was that late free kick about? Well won by Flynn, good distance and in Baxter a player with a thunderbolt shot, and we chose to roll it sideways?

Agree 100 per cent.

Thought Scougall's energy levels were great and Baxter looked buggered after about 60 minutes.

A word for Basham who I thought has had undue stick this season, he was great tonight.

Baxter is not the messiah and whilst he is very capable he is a long way off being in the team of the year in the third division let alone higher. I get mocked for my little moans about him when he drills a brilliant goal in but compared to the man who broke owen's youth goal scoring record (I think that's right) he's a long way off that kind of potential brilliance. Keepers in the championship are 30% better than this league. Other players are 30% talker/stronger/fitter too and he'd be lucky to get a game.

I see the gem but he needs to prove himself to me if he's serious about fulfilling his potential.

Back
Top Bottom