Basham

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I'm in favour of a back 3 but imo this highlights why we're playing with a 4. The spine is so soft and when attacked those back 7 don't have much physicality between them.

The traditional '3 at the back' formations (352 and 343) require something from the midfield that we simply don't have. You either need a protector and a creator, or a unit that works as an engine.

Until SJ gets the players he wants in all positions, I wonder if a Bielsa-style 3331 could be a temporary solution.

Bashan - Egan - Davies

Bogle - Norwood - Stevens

Ndiaye - MGW - Osborn

Mousset

This easily becomes a back 5 when under attack but still gives the 3 behind a advanced forward, which SJ clearly prefers.

It's also pretty interchangeable and flexible. Our current system with these players means that any sub causes some kind of imbalance.
I'd say you still have a soft spine there. And that is the problem. Ultimately, we don't have enough strong players through the middle

I'd say you still have a soft spine there. And that is the problem. Ultimately, we don't have enough strong players through the middle
Oh yes I agree, but with 3 lines instead of 2 the idea is that we're a bit more solid for the time being.

Agreed, trouble is when he advances with the ball no one in midfield are willing to take it off him and keep the move going forward, so it’s generally sideways then back …… momentum lost. Not Bash’s fault at all.
The first 20 mins he was imperious bringing the ball out of defence, then like you say the rest of the useless fuckers just hide behind a Forest player and he’s got no one to pass to.

He can't play in a back four. Never has been able to. Was the defender sacrificed every time under Wilder. Terrible there under previous managers.

We'd maybe be better off giving one of the youngsters a go.
Mom toneyt for us.

Spence they have on loan from Middlesbrough was outstanding for them.

Mom toneyt for us.

Spence they have on loan from Middlesbrough was outstanding for them.

Best defender (Gibbs-White was mom for me), agreed, but I thought he was rash coming out on a couple of occasions and lucky to get away with it. Who knows what was happening on the goal. He saved Egan's blushes a couple of times.

Spence is one of the best players I've seen in this league this season.

Offered something different with his bursts from centre back, plays a good forward for it to be played back towards where he came from. I bet he was pissed off.

Agree, Basham was superb. The way he takes responsibility on the ball is fantastic. Not sure if it sets an example to others, or just puts others to shame.

Slav may not have seen how brilliant he can be, but he has now.
He’ll still put Davies back in.

Egan has been poor all season. He just doesn't suit a back 4, not commanding enough to be the ball winner and not technically good enough to be the ball player.

On that performance tonight it's Basham and Davies for Blackburn IMO

He made a great run into the box in first half and it just needed a ball slotting through but no it went out wide so they could play with their triangles.

Ting.

Swap him for Norwood and have him in front of the 2, he gets forward can tackle..

Came in like he had something to prove. Refreshing to see someone wanting to move the ball forwards.

If we're still trying to get a Vieira type player in as a defensive midfielder to provide cover to Fleck/Norwood and help out the back 4... We really don't have to look far do we?

I’m on record as saying that the idea often promoted on here that Bash is only suited to one particular role , that of RCB in a back 3 , is ludicrous .

Consequently , the fact that he played tonight as part of the central pairing in a back 4 and gave the best performance of the season of anyone in that role came as absolutely no surprise .

I now look forward to him destroying the other myth perpetuated on here , which is that he can’t play in the holding midfield role .

If Davies is to return to the back 4 , then anyone who thinks that Bash couldn’t do a better job than Fleck in that role needs to have a serious rethink .

Back
Top Bottom