Bash to Burnley

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Couldn't blame him if he left, one last season (or two) in the Prem and looks ominous that he hasn't signed a new deal here yet. Owes us nowt and maybe it's a first, if painful, step in overhauling the playing squad (not that I want to see him leave, there's probably 15-20 others that should go before him).

Being honest and leaving aside our allegiance to Utd, what would you do if you were in his shoes - sit it out and see whether Utd trigger the additional year (or more probably offer an extension on vastly reduced terms) or go to Burnley on Prem money (Burnley are very competitive payers by the way) even if it only for 1/2 season, and then top-end Champ money for at least another season?

The main consideration is how he'd fit into their 4-4-2 formation. He's not a replacement for Tarkowski, nor is he a natural RB.

I absolutely love Bash, but I do fear for him if he's not played RCB in a back five. Even for us, he's can look quite poor if deployed in a back four or as a midfielder.
Having said that, it's a short career and if he can get another couple of seasons in the top flight and on Prem wages then he'll have nothing but good will from me. Will always be a Blades legend.

Bash never gives less than 100%, so for me, he is 1st name on the team sheet, every week, and I don't want to lose him.

Having said that, he comes across as such a nice bloke, I would never begrudge him a big money move, especially if it was the last chance in his career to earn good money.

He still gets up the pitch, into good areas, more than just about anyone else, so if United are smart, they will trigger the extension.

He's more than done his bit for us but from an unsentimental point of view, it might be one last payday for him because there's only one way his wage here is going and that's down if he signed a new deal.

He's 33 and hasn't got long left at a decent, i.e. Premier League/Championship level so he's got to do what's best for him and to be honest he's done well to have got to that level. We've got to accept that players move on and that all of our long serving players will eventually play their last game for us at some point.

When you hear rumours like this I always try to see it from the buying clubs fans point of view. We all love Bash and will always be a legend, but if you think what a Burnley fan will think if they hear this rumour, cannot see them getting excited.

If Basham leaves I honestly think I’ll cry. I’ve never liked a player as much as I like Chris Basham. He’s not just a hard worker like some of the fans favourites over the years, he’s a proper quality footballer and by all accounts a top bloke.

In a day and age of tossers playing football for our club he is an absolute diamond.

They are venture capital people. They will be investing nothing of their own.
Not venturing much of their own capital then ? Funny how descriptions can be so misleading. I remember when Uncle Kevin first mentioned "Saudi Prince"🙄

Not venturing much of their own capital then ? Funny how descriptions can be so misleading. I remember when Uncle Kevin first mentioned "Saudi Prince"🙄
They never do.

I have had some dealings with venture capital people. The fees they extract for at times doing basically nothing have to be seen to be believed.

Interesting ... Do they have a record of dumping clubs who suddenly turn off the money tap by getting relegated ?

If you study their business model and how they bought the club in the first place you'll see they leverage debt against the club, much in the same way that the Glazers do at Man Utd.

They may or may not spend next season but if they do, the club's debt will only increase. Would you want that happening at your club? I certainty wouldn't!

ALK certainly aren't the White Knight you seen to think they are.

If you study their business model and how they bought the club in the first place you'll see they leverage debt against the club, much in the same way that the Glazers do at Man Utd.

They may or may not spend next season but if they do, the club's debt will only increase. Would you want that happening at your club? I certainty wouldn't!

ALK certainly aren't the White Knight you seen to think they are.
SISU at Coventry are cut from the same cloth.

SISU at Coventry are cut from the same cloth.

It didn't end well at Coventry and I'm confident it won't at Burnley either.

The advantage the Glazers have is that even though they're currently being relatively unsuccessful on the pitch, revenues and profits are still high (and most probably always will be), enabling them to extract funds from the club in the way of dividends (as well as selling shares last year). ALK won't have that luxury - if Burnley go down, revenues will drop dramatically and they'll need to 'cut their cloth' accordingly and hope they manage to get back up to the Prem before the parachute payments stop. If they don't they'll be in trouble.

Think ALK will have cut and run with their pockets stuffed full of loose change before the fans of Burnley see them invest.

If Burnley come along and your CB then I guess you would be a fool to turn them down. My only hope is that we can get in someone with the same work rate & desire. Probably no chance then!

If Basham leaves I honestly think I’ll cry. I’ve never liked a player as much as I like Chris Basham. He’s not just a hard worker like some of the fans favourites over the years, he’s a proper quality footballer and by all accounts a top bloke.

In a day and age of tossers playing football for our club he is an absolute diamond.
100% agree with this. He’s old skool. Zero interest in wags, celeb status, look at me clothes or lifestyle. Enjoy him while he’s around because for every 1 Chris Basham there’s a thousand James Maddison’s.

He sealed his legend status with me as soon as that goal went in against Leeds. Everything about it summed him up. Ungainly, awkward but strangely skillfull and weirdly majestic.

The day he leaves a, part of my love for the club will go with him. Him, Sharp and Duffy are the 3 players who made the last era what it was.

I fucking adore Bash, and would have him around the place for life.

Basham gives everything even when he isn't bang in form you know he won't give up.

Like I have said before the best example is to watch him in the Swindon play off defeat despite the scoreline he was getting stuck in everywhere on the pitch. His goal helped us nearly get back into the match as well.

Characters like Basham and Sharp won't be around in the game for much longer. They are the sort of players as Warnock would say "That die to get 3 points."

Bash has been an amazing servant to this club, hes been our most consistent player for years, and if he isnt offered new terms, then theres something wrong!
Long live Bash!!

Back
Top Bottom