Barn door Billy...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I asked the question the other day regarding how he is performing against his XG. By all accounts he's pretty much on the money.

I think we've just grown to expect him to bury tricky chances: one-on-ones, shots from tight angles etc. As much as people moan that hia finishing has dropped off (and it has a tad), at least he's missing opportunities. He's constantly getting on the end of things.
None of our other strikers have the ability to find space in the box like he does and we always look so much more threatening for having Billy on the grass.c

Let’s face it.

There are one or two on here that, almost certainly, are Close personal friends of the other striker that is directly in competition for the starting shirt.

That said, it is incredibly loyal of them to continually support their “pal” in the face of overwhelming evidence he’s fookin crap at his job !!

Credit is due at least for that 👏.

UTB

It annoys me how quick people jump on Billys back without looking at the facts. The 2 chances he didn't put away were both on target. The first one was very difficult as he couldn't put any power in his header. The second one was a good save by the keeper using his legs. He finds gaps all over the shop when others don't, yet is pilloried because he misses chances. Name me a striker that doesn't miss lots of chances? Ronaldo missed an open goal against us once, yet he's one of the best finishers ever.

I asked the question the other day regarding how he is performing against his XG. By all accounts he's pretty much on the money.

I think we've just grown to expect him to bury tricky chances: one-on-ones, shots from tight angles etc. As much as people moan that hia finishing has dropped off (and it has a tad), at least he's missing opportunities. He's constantly getting on the end of things.
None of our other strikers have the ability to find space in the box like he does and we always look so much more threatening for having Billy on the grass.c
Correct, the fox in the box, not many around these days, scores some, misses some, and occasionally creates, like the game changing move, gets the wrong side of the CH, stitches him up, the CH knowing full well he's been done has to commit, that didn't just happen Billy made it happen. Later he pulls MGW away from goading their fans, possibly saving from a booking he could well do without. That's Billy, say no more. UTB

The whole team started the first third of the season in poor form. Billy was the only one who created anything, hence his 6 assists. His stats might look poor but the first part of the season drag it down.

Last 2 games with a new manager he's scored in both and assisted. Back to playing the style we know we're good at and he's banging them in.

It's amazing how quick people are to write players off, and how they think think know better than the coaches.

Imagine playing against Billy ,you would be shitting yourself ,he gets into great positions and has chances every game he plays ,hes a constant pain in the arse and usually gets one. Every other teams fans hate him but secretly have an admiration for him. A true United legend.

Billy is more of an all round footballer now, his body shape has completely changed, looks like a middleweight boxer.

But that change, including being more involved in open play has seemingly affected his finishing.

Much better player, slightly worse in front of goal

I agree with this. I think he's definitely lost half a step with his finishing, particularly the ones he runs on to, 1v1 with the 'keeper. He still gets in to the right places for crosses to stick those away though, and I don't agree with the assessment that "anyone" would have scored his goal yesterday. Who else would have been in the right place to score it? Oli McBurnie certainly wouldn't have been.

What we've lost in goal-scoring efficiency we've gained in all around play, see Sharp's recent assists. We do still get the occasional performance where he's more interested in greco-roman wrestling than playing football, but otherwise he's been very good this year.

Also, the not including penalties in his tally thing is bollocks, you need to be able to score them, and McBurnie demonstrably can't.

Love Bil, didn’t have his best game yesterday but he will always get into those positions that’s why he’s scored so many goals in his career.

He his definitely not taking chances when the keeper to beat. But it's the old scenario, that he is getting himself in the positions at least to miss them and regularly enough he will still score. Maybe his reactions have slowed a little with age. Or maybe not getting enough game time over the Prem seasons, like a lot of our players getting a little to self conscious on goals, not finishing instinctively enough. If it is the latter and he gets on a run, there will be a lot of goals.

Let’s face it.

There are one or two on here that, almost certainly, are Close personal friends of the other striker that is directly in competition for the starting shirt.

That said, it is incredibly loyal of them to continually support their “pal” in the face of overwhelming evidence he’s fookin crap at his job !!

UTB
I wonder which striker you could possibly mean??!!

Can we just all agree Billy is far from crap….but he’s also far from being the greatest.

He’s just a good quality Championship level striker….good brain but lacks pace and height/ physicality….so even with age he’ll still possibly be able to do a job.
The factor with Billy is that he’s more reliant than your average striker on having team mates with good passing ability to set him up.

The facts suggest Billy is probably better than Keith Edwards but no where near Brian Deane level.

Let’s face it.

UTB
Mousset? It can’t be ‘5th choice Oli’ surely!

Billy is more of an all round footballer now, his body shape has completely changed, looks like a middleweight boxer.

But that change, including being more involved in open play has seemingly affected his finishing.

Much better player, slightly worse in front of goal

And the statistics back up what you're saying.
6 goals and 6 assists is a very useful contribution. If he keeps that form up and gets 15 goals and 10 assists you'd certainly have taken that at the beginning of the season.

It did make me smile when a reporter put the above to him the other day and he responded "I'd much rather have the 12 goals all to my name." He loves it and he wants it. Wish the others were more like him.

A goal every other game for us can’t argue with that

And the statistics back up what you're saying.
6 goals and 6 assists is a very useful contribution. If he keeps that form up and gets 15 goals and 10 assists you'd certainly have taken that at the beginning of the season.

It did make me smile when a reporter put the above to him the other day and he responded "I'd much rather have the 12 goals all to my name." He loves it and he wants it. Wish the others were more like him.
I saw that as well 😂😂

I said it yesterday in the match thread, I think we’ve held our young strikers to such a high standard of “billy would have scored that”, when clearly he doesn’t score all those chances. That doesn’t change the fact that he’s still our first choice striker. Just need to lay off the others and hold them to a more realistic standard

Sharp creates so much space for others to score but they don't finish. He ghosts into space it is like defenders find him invisible then pops up to score like yesterday.
He also won us that game by getting one of their giants sent of reducing them to 10. Even with 10 another giant won a header in the box which lead to a goal.

Screenshot_20211205_121027_com.sofascore.results_edit_845873005816762.jpg

Not bad at all, plus he's one of only two players over 30 in the top 20.

Billy doesn't score every chance he gets, doesn't always have the best of games, but he's still brilliant and I love him

Can someone at the club please, pretty please, and with sprinkles on arrange a “Barn Door Bill” T-shirt for Xmas.

I’ll pay 😀👍.

UTB

What surprises me is how some are taken in by 3 or 4 very very good WUM's.

They are quite easy to spot - can think of 3 quite easily, but others will have their own favourites ;) and as DronnieBlade writes, there could well be agendas running wild with some.

As for the latest attempt at Billy - it has for me, been trashed totally. There has been some Billy bashing as he's got older, but as Carlton Blade mentioned - Billy has worked on his body and has adjusted how he plays to compensate.

UTB

Don’t give a monkeys what people say on here. So long as they’re 100% behind the boys at BDTBL. I would however take someone to task if they were senselessly slagging any of the players off in the seats around me.

Back
Top Bottom