Banning away fans

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1973Blade

Reaction score
Police chiefs in South Yorkshire are unhappy at the £1.3 million spent policing football matches in the region. According to the Star they either want clubs to contribute more or they have suggested baning away fans for some games Hopefully it is a negotiation tactic and the request for increased contributions I can agree with, but banning away fans - the vast majority of whom are responsible - would be totally unfair.

Police chiefs in South Yorkshire are unhappy at the £1.3 million spent policing football matches in the region. According to the Star they either want clubs to contribute more or ban away fans.

What they 'want' and what they get are entirely different matters. Political posturing for an increase in budget to waste on more folding steel walls.

They know full well that in a democratic country, they cannot routinely ban its citizens moving from one town to another.

Strange they don't charge pubs and clubs in the city centre for policing the streets on Friday/Saturday nights, don't mump about Rugby, Cricket or any other spectator sport. The S. Yorks deputy chief constable is a right wanker, says they could have 27 more officers if they didn't have to police football, what for to bully retired old women tree protesters?

Typical public sector politician trying to play politics and finding themselves woefully out of kilter from modern society...

I travel the country with my 6 year old boy watching the Blades, cricket, rugby league, athletics and this autumn will be his first NFL game, followed by his first weekend break to watch bobsleigh in the flesh!

Who is this public servant to tell me which sporting events I can and can't go to.

Somebody needs to remind this guy it's 2018 and not 1988...

Police chiefs in South Yorkshire are unhappy at the £1.3 million spent policing football matches in the region. According to the Star they either want clubs to contribute more or they have suggested baning away fans for some games Hopefully it is a negotiation tactic and the request for increased contributions I can agree with, but banning away fans - the vast majority of whom are responsible - would be totally unfair.
Maybe he should negotiate better rates from Durham and Humberside forces

Would be interesting to see what they charge for a Van full of Plod

All it would acheive is away fans travelling anyway and either making a protest/point in the city centre or attempting to get in posing as home fans.

Either scenario would cause far more work/hassle for SYP than policing a few hundred who they know where they are, and where theyre going.

They bring it upon themselves anyway with their incompetence. Do GMP draft in extra coppers on derby day?

They could save thousands by scaling down the over Policed games we already have,and cutting their overtime bill...They could also get a few quid scrap for the useless steel walls...what a waste of money.

The banning of away fans or games being played behind closed doors has been the holy grail for South Yorks Police for some time.

I am 99% certain that it will happen at some point within in the next 2-3 years.

The banning of away fans or games being played behind closed doors has been the holy grail for South Yorks Police for some time.

I am 99% certain that it will happen at some point within in the next 2-3 years.

I think you're right. What's worse, it will be the police who lay the bait to create the incident which leads to this. We've already seen police "vanish" from flashpoints recently.

They bring it upon themselves anyway with their incompetence. Do GMP draft in extra coppers on derby day?
I don’t think they do.....because they have two and a half times more cops than South Yorkshire I think.

says they could have 27 more officers if they didn't have to police football

Well they usually send about 80 more than they need so 27 less won't make a blind bit of difference. Unless he meant 270?

What this cunt at SYP needs to realise is that the 80000+ who attend Bramall Lane, Hillsborough, Oakwell, New York Stadium and the Keepmoat are all ratepayers. They have made a contribution towards this, and also so do the clubs.

This is the only sport that is played in SY for the majority of the year that attracts large attendances. The pubs, resturants and food outlets around these grounds all make money from this on matchdays, and have done so for decades. It all contributes to the local economies.

Away fans come and spend their money in SY, staying in hotels and B&Bs and drinking in our towns and cities.

Every weekend of the year, people drink in SY towns and cities, and there is violence on every occasion. Do we hear the police asking for extra contributions from bar and pub owners? I can't remember that.

It is because SYP is institutionally biased against football fans, and has a history of suppression and deception going all the way back to Orgreave. It covers Hillsborough, Rotherham, and Cliff Richard.

First off, how about they dip into their own coffers and refund the Blades fans who were delayed entry in to Hillsborough due to their overzealous policing.

They can ban away fans and see how far it gets them. Bunch of useless fucking cunts.

Maybe they would have more money to spend on policing if they hadn't spent millions on court cost defending the down right lies they put out on Hill orough,Cliff Richard and the Rothrrham child sex scandal. Meanwhile crime is on the increase in S.Yorks especially gun and knife crime. All about priorities with SYP

A post about the police. This is clearly going to get a bad reaction.

Funny though because everyone's fine saying "Fuck the police" but end up needing their help when in danger

I think our fans have much better experiences with coppers when we travel away. I think some of our fans highlighted how good the police were away at Preston last season.

The problem with SYP is they still think its the 80's and a football fan is like a piece of shit on the bottom of their shoe.

Its less fuck the police as a whole but more fuck South Yorkshire Police.

I think our fans have much better experiences with coppers when we travel away. I think some of our fans highlighted how good the police were away at Preston last season.

The problem with SYP is they still think its the 80's and a football fan is like a piece of shit on the bottom of their shoe.

Its less fuck the police as a whole but more fuck South Yorkshire Police.
Am talking about police in general rather than SYP

Day of the weeds match last season they had foot patrols of paramilitary style police up and down eccy Road for no reason. As well as van loads of Durham constabulary raking in overtime.

Meanwhile a large group of scummy Leeds knob heads drank neat vodka, shouted abuse and set off a flare outside the shop on corner of BL and main stand. No coppers in sight.

The management in SYP is clueless

If he wants a genuine and honest discussion about this, we can debate the levels of policing being commensurate with the fixtures. Seems to be complete overkill in terms of numbers attending the vast majority of games.

A post about the police. This is clearly going to get a bad reaction.

Funny though because everyone's fine saying "Fuck the police" but end up needing their help when in danger

You can have respect for the job police officers do (and acknowledge you may one day need their help) and also hold them accountable for things they do wrong.

SYP have repeatedly gone after the local football clubs as a source of revenue. As others have pointed out, football fans (the vast majority of whom are well behaved and cause no trouble) are rate payers, tax payers, pay VAT, etc. 1000s of local jobs are created as a result of our spending. The obvious ones are inside the club (players, ticket sellers, stewards, etc), but also people who sell burgers, pub landlords/bar tenders (how many pubs would shut in this city if the two clubs ceased to exist?), people who work in restaurants, local shops, etc, etc. All of our spending feeds back into the treasury multiple times over.

The Tory government has increasingly starved police (and other public sector organisations) of money for almost a decade. Rather than criticise the government, these cowardly police chiefs are effectively saying it's (indirectly) the fault of the squeezed, mainly working-class people they are supposed to represent, and that we should be disproportionately taxed to make up the short fall (via increases in ticket prices/merchandise/programs/whatever).

I have a big problem with that (and you should too). I also have immediate family who are just about to join the police service. Criticising the police service and having respect for the job (the majority of) officers do are not mutually exclusive.

Back
Top Bottom