Average home PL attendance

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

A Sheffield United post on its main forum discussing attendences, when good lads I know who live away from sheffield can't attend because they can't get a ticket....

Jesus wept, I wish I'd not wasted the battery power or that micron of skin I used to scroll down....

We haven't bought top players because they cost 10s of millions now due to the league we are currently in...

The owner isn't a billionaire, the stands should be bigger but they aren't, again down to a brassic (in Premier terms owner) not developing the plans kmc got approved..

It's not the fans, and the ground is full..

The empty seats on Saturday were season tickets that didn't go.
Stop talking utter nonsense.

Not worth the paper it's written on.
Since when have full houses given us 3 points?
This is a maggot dangled in front of the snortbeasts for them to cling onto.

Don't forget how many they took to qpr.

I guessing the discrepancy between the official capacity and the actual number of seats we can sell, is probably down to the considerable number of restricted view seats we have at Bramall Lane.

That was only for the Wolves game. So not an average attendance.
Yes I see that now, I just read the OP’s comments initially. This must mean that we had previously been the top or around the top in our previous games assuming this is a weekly feature? Pity that was never worth mentioning on here.

On Tuesday 30 March 1982, United drew 1-1 with Bradford City in a Division 4 match, at the Lane in front of a gate of 24,593.

That same night, Liverpool - in second place in Division 1, behind Southampton and on the way to winning the title - beat Birmingham City 3-1 in front of a gate of 24,224.

Liverpool had competed in the European Cup that season but had been knocked out 13 days before these matches, by CSKA Sofia.
My mistake but the point is still valid. Incredible support over the years. If you were there it also felt like a much bigger crowd.
UTB

My mistake but the point is still valid. Incredible support over the years. If you were there it also felt like a much bigger crowd.
UTB
It did, and probably was. Some very suspect gates in the days of terracing. The official gate of 23,923 for the final home game of that season against Peterborough was a complete nonsense.

We can say what we want not selling out for home prem games is pretty poor , 29k @ the lane on satutday was pretyty poor if you ask me

Its no surprie when the fans have been fed the old we have no money and we are little old SUFC line by the poundland prince
As you would expect the report is inaccurate.

It has our capacity at 32,050 when now it’s officially been reduced to around 31,500.

Half our home matches this season have been official sell outs, but

It did, and probably was. Some very suspect gates in the days of terracing. The official gate of 23,923 for the final home game of that season against Peterborough was a complete nonsense.
Not sure about that figure for the last match of the season . Pretty sure it was given as 27,000+ at the time.

Can’t believe how much of a tin pot club we are. We should be giving those tickets to international fans or content creators. Or even better OF models who can wear our shirt and nowt else😅

I’d rather have 25,000 blades fans rather than seasonal supporter who’s only appear in premier league
Where's Stego when you need him lol

Not sure about that figure for the last match of the season . Pretty sure it was given as 27,000+ at the time.

It has definitely been recorded for posterity as an official gate of 23,923, notwithstanding that it had to be nearer to 30,000.

Photographs from the day show the Kop - which had a standing capacity of 18,000 at the time - absolutely rammed; the South Stand (7,996) full; and the John Street terrace tightly packed. I was in the John Street stand and that was sold out. Peterborough didn’t have many fans on the Lane end terrace but there were plenty of United fans in the Bramall Lane stand. The ground capacity was still 49,000 at the time, so the official gate suggested that the ground was less than half full! Absolute rubbish.

I recall that Porterfield revealed afterwards that he had had a bet with Tony Pritchett about whether United would break the 4th Division attendance record - 37,000 odd - held by Crystal Palace; Porterfield thought we would, whilst Pritchett said we wouldn’t. Porterfield had no chance of winning the wager given how the gate figures were occasionally ‘massaged’ in those days…

Except that it's complete bollocks.

Has no one noticed that the internet is just full of made up, click ,click, click, click
-bait, £ait, £ait, £ait .

Yet millions come onto forums saying " I saw it on't tinternet must be true"

Wilder arriving next week if Hecky doesn't get a win on Sunday.

Red Bull buying Sheffield Wendy.

Danny Rohl never got sacked by the German national team he was just unlucky that they lost 1-4 to Japan. (true that though, except he did get sacked, or dismissed to be PC)

Turnstyle operators used to pocket some of the cash though, and let the cats in without recording them as present ( cats then, pigeons now ) though since back in the PL where are the pigeons ?

Have they all been sent on holiday to a Fallowfield ?

Can’t believe how much of a tin pot club we are. We should be giving those tickets to international fans or content creators. Or even better OF models who can wear our shirt and nowt else😅

I’d rather have 25,000 blades fans rather than seasonal supporter who’s only appear in premier league
In a crowd of 29,000 there is not many more than 25,000 Blades

Personally I'd rather a 60,000 stadium with an average of 57,500 turning up, part time twats or not.
After all Man City have 52,000 in the stadium which is at least 20,000 more than they got on a good day a few years ago
West Ham are getting 30,000 more than their traditional 100 year old support
Brighton 25,000 more
Leicester 15,000 more
Southampton 15,000 more
The list goes on.
At what point does a part time bastard become a non part time bastard ?

There are empty seats at Bramall Lane because the stadium is not fit for purpose as much as we all love it, there are so many crap seats it's unbelievable in a so called modern stadium

In a crowd of 29,000 there is not many more than 25,000 Blades

Personally I'd rather a 60,000 stadium with an average of 57,500 turning up, part time twats or not.
After all Man City have 52,000 in the stadium which is at least 20,000 more than they got on a good day a few years ago
West Ham are getting 30,000 more than their traditional 100 year old support
Brighton 25,000 more
Leicester 15,000 more
Southampton 15,000 more
The list goes on.
At what point does a part time bastard become a non part time bastard ?

There are empty seats at Bramall Lane because the stadium is not fit for purpose as much as we all love it, there are so many crap seats it's unbelievable in a so called modern stadium
Wed better off with no one in the ground at all rather than a stadium choc full of no heart fannys like you

Wed better off with no one in the ground at all rather than a stadium choc full of no heart fannys like you
And the club will be better off when the 1970's throwbacks and proper football morons die off

Interesting site claiming we're the worst at filling BDTBL, compared to the rest of the PL. Averaging over 2500 less than capacity. Maybe that lost income could have financed the signings we desperately needed and offset the dreadful start! https://www.insideworldfootball.com...fans-stay-home-miss-first-premier-league-win/
Even if it wasn't made up bollocks, and the 2500 was true, the £500k that would have brought in, wouldn't have let us go on a PL player buying extravaganza.
Apart from that it's a good story.

Same mate, ST for 20 years of my 31 living and I just go as a chore (in a good way). See my mates, father and have a good drink 👍

If I had to pay every week I doubt I would go to every game!
I've been the same for a good few years mate....Go out to the match to enjoy a day out with mates and my dad as much as to enjoy the football.

Keep doing it and treasure it whilst you can pal, my dad passed away in the summer and he was only 60. You appreciate how great them times are/were even more when that happens.

UTB ⚔️

I don't think that's entirely the case. From the south stand I could see there were several quite large areas of empty seats on BLUT - those aren't season tickets. Whereas the kop looked full, and I presume south stand was as I got one of the last two tickets on there according to the seating plan when I bought it (edit: although there could have been ST holders that didn't go on that stand, hard to tell from where I was)

Fair enough.. About the BLUT.. But I know quite a few STs who stopped home last week.

And tbh, some that say they can't get tickets, just might not fancy travelling these days ass we were gettting tonked every week..

Turnstyle operators used to pocket some of the cash though, and let the cats in without recording them as present ( cats then, pigeons now ) though since back in the PL where are the pigeons ?

Have they all been sent on holiday to a Fallowfield ?
The pigeons are all out injured , Hecky says they'll all be back on the grass soon!🦅

It has definitely been recorded for posterity as an official gate of 23,923, notwithstanding that it had to be nearer to 30,000.

Photographs from the day show the Kop - which had a standing capacity of 18,000 at the time - absolutely rammed; the South Stand (7,996) full; and the John Street terrace tightly packed. I was in the John Street stand and that was sold out. Peterborough didn’t have many fans on the Lane end terrace but there were plenty of United fans in the Bramall Lane stand. The ground capacity was still 49,000 at the time, so the official gate suggested that the ground was less than half full! Absolute rubbish.

I recall that Porterfield revealed afterwards that he had had a bet with Tony Pritchett about whether United would break the 4th Division attendance record - 37,000 odd - held by Crystal Palace; Porterfield thought we would, whilst Pritchett said we wouldn’t. Porterfield had no chance of winning the wager given how the gate figures were occasionally ‘massaged’ in those days…
I was on the away lower terrace. From my view the ground was damn near full except as you say the away terrace.

It’s be interesting to know where the seats have been disappearing to. Where have we lost 500+ seats since our last PL stint?

We’ll be down to a capacity or 30k in a few years, if we carry on.

It’s be interesting to know where the seats have been disappearing to. Where have we lost 500+ seats since our last PL stint?

We’ll be down to a capacity or 30k in a few years, if we carry on.
There must be 150plus seats on the side of gangway A on the kop that no longer get sold, I don't know why, is the commentary boxing the way can anyone confirm cos I've no idea as to why they no longer are sold. Also do we know for sure in this league if all season ticket holders are included in attendance, that could be why if there not included.

I'm classed as negative half of the time but you I've never seen anything positive? Only when it's praising things Wednesday do. (Which I hate)

Youre probably right Iliman , i do give out praise though or words of encouragement on most threads i post on

Cost of living, close to Christmas, bottom of the league, Wolves, its a very good attendance. To say anything other is looking for attention....which you of course are.

Im no looking for attention

Im saying it how it is

Of course there are factors affecting why people go to matches , thats what i was saying mainly the clubs allowance to act like we are already relehgated and like of one iota of ambition

But getting 28k (With 3k away fans) for the bigeest game of the season is generally poor

Ninety-two percent capacity filled sounds very good too me, especially when you factor in we only had one point out of thirty.
I'm a season ticket holder and missed the game for personal reason, am I included in the numbers?

In the premier league that is quite poor

Championshio fantastic prem not so much

A key issue which prevents us from selling out is that the club make it very difficult for casual or new fans to buy tickets.

For a number of home games this year, even ones which didn't sell out, tickets never went to true general sale; it was still one ticket per supporter and a minimum number of loyalty points required. For the upcoming Liverpool game, the website states general sale will only apply to supporters with 300 Loyalty Points or above (and one ticket per supporter). So actually it remains very restricted sale.

Underneath this, it states:

Please note: Sheffield United supporters who wish to bring friends and family without a previous purchasing history are advised to set up an account online for the new person attending and then contact the ticket office 0114 253 7200 (Option 1) to have the account activated.

All sales are subject to availability. Only one ticket per customer number is permitted.

If you would like to purchase tickets for family and friends online, you can do this by adding them to your 'family and friends' in the 'Manage my relationships' section, to add existing you will need the customers surname, postcode and customer number alternatively you can register a new customer.
To purchase tickets for family and friends over the telephone or in person please have all their appropriate customer details readily available in order for our operators to quickly find/add them to the ticketing system.

Please be advised that juniors under 14 are not permitted into the stadium unless accompanied by an adult.

The club says that these restrictions are to prevent away supporters purchasing tickets in the home end. I guess they may have been told to do it by South Yorkshire Police? To be fair, I note that for our upcoming home games against Luton, Bournemouth and Brentford the loyalty point requirement has been dropped, presumably because they don't think those teams have large enough fan bases for significant numbers to try and get in the home end. It's still one ticket per supporter though.

The result of all these rules is that if you're, for example, a student or a tourist in Sheffield who wants to go to a game with a group of friends, you have to set up an online account for all of them, providing names, addresses, etc (and actually, in theory they need to set up the account themselves because it needs to be registered to their email address and validated by clicking a link which is emailed to them). You then need to add them as family/ friends on a confusing website before buying the tickets. Or presumably you can do this all in a phone call to the ticket office which will take about 4 hours and still requires you to have all of their personal information to hand. And obviously all this only allows you to buy a ticket for games where there isn't a loyalty point requirement.

Ultimately this is too difficult for many casual and new fans to work out or bother with, and that's why we struggle to add much to our average attendance for big games in the way that other clubs do. For Wembley, I didn't have access to enough customer numbers for all my friends and family who wanted to come, so they didn't, and then there were loads of empty seats. Those people would normally be the types who push other clubs our size to a sell out.

Other clubs don't make it this difficult, and it didn't used to be this difficult at Sheffield United. You used to be able to walk up to the ticket office, or ring up, and buy a few tickets for you and your group (up to a sensible maximum number), no questions asked, and this is still the way it is in much of the country. I'd imagine these restrictions have been put on us by South Yorkshire Police due to their previous high profile failings and our previous crowd trouble- although I don't think our history of crowd problems is significantly worse than the average English club.

Obviously for games that are likely to sell out, it still makes sense to use a loyalty points system to decide who gets priority for buying tickets. But if it's not sold out, it seems crazy that we make it so difficult for ourselves to shift the tickets. Which is why the only explanation I can think of is that the police are insisting on it.
Please be advised that juniors under 14 are not permitted into the stadium unless accompanied by an adult.

Those of us who served our apprenticeship in the Ed’s Pen on the old Kop back in the day would be fucked then !

Back
Top Bottom