artificial pitches

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

davidpinder

Reaction score
Going to be discussed at the next football league AGM, apparently a number of league 1 and league 2 clubs are pushing for it. If this is passed they could be in place for the start of the 2012/13 campaign now that would be a disaster IMO we may have done ok in the past on these pitches, Luton etc but that could turn potencial straight forward good performance = good result games into a lottery game. Thoughts??

Today's plastic pitches are completely different to the plastic pitches of yesteryear. I think they are more like synthetic grass nowadays and can't be compared with the pitches that Luton, Oldham, Preston and others used to have.

Today's plastic pitches are completely different to the plastic pitches of yesteryear. I think they are more like synthetic grass nowadays and can't be compared with the pitches that Luton, Oldham, Preston and others used to have.

Yes the artificial pitches of today are fanatstically better than the old ones.
Ive played on both at The Pitz and there is a world of difference no friction burns for a start.
Im sure a lot of training grounds have these Shirecliffe included.
I dont think the modern day player would have a problem adapting to play on an artificial pitch

The ball certainly doesn't ping around like it used to on the pitches off old, and carpet burns are a thing of the past too. The only real issue i think that is still yet to be tested at the highest level is whether they cause more knee injuries than a grass pitch.

The stuff a lot of US colleges use for there Gridiron piches and mulituse pitches is just like grass except its green plastic.

4th Generation Field Turf

Football-Pitch-Grass-Turf.jpg
(Click for bigger image)

Its a good idea for the small clubs, they can hire out the pitch to the public for 11 a side floodlit outdoor training during the winter. A facility that many saturday/sunday teams would love to use.

Extra income and the pitch don't get hammered like grass, intact United should be voting yes as it mean that certain pitches in our current league would lend themselves to Danny Wilson's footballing style.

They are common in Norway, and they are ok, but not really the same as real grass. Hard to explain what the differences are, but you do take notice during matches. One difference is that the artificial grass don't slow down the pace of a rolling/bouncing ball as much, which means it goes out of play a bit more. Have a look at this one:

Arsenal have a combination of real turf and the artificial, I think we should follow a similar suit really, especially with the state our pitch ends up in. saves on turfing it every year, lasts a fair while.

They are common in Norway, and they are ok, but not really the same as real grass. Hard to explain what the differences are, but you do take notice during matches. One difference is that the artificial grass don't slow down the pace of a rolling/bouncing ball as much, which means it goes out of play a bit more. Have a look at this one:

Do they play in normal boots on them?

Back
Top Bottom