Are we safe yet Dad?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I reckon Watford and Norwich will struggle - to get to 38/40 points they need to win almost half their remaining 22 games
Given they have only won 1 & 3 so far, thats a tall order.

We will hit the wall at some point, Man C. are at the moment, so its fine, hold our nerve and accept apart from the freakish Lpl side teams loose games of football

Last season Cardiff went down with a GD of -35, can you really see us getting anywhere near that?

We wont win a GS table, but we are tighter than a nuns chuff at the back, and that will see us safe

Without wishing to bang the same drum that I have mentioned on other threads
If you examine the last five years of the Premier League
The most obvious difference between the top six?
And the rest of the league
Whether you are talking about the middle league or the scrappers against relegation
Is goal difference
Now understandably folks have raised the various chances we have created and not converted
But I think it is our ability to defend as a whole team that will signify our chance of survival
As with commented about Norwich
They are not going to score three goals or more on a regular basis in the Premier League
Which they need to give and how much goals they ship
The same could be argued for Watford
Southampton are curious
They have been getting a couple of reasonable results but overall are deep in it due to goals conceded
Newcastle and Crystal Palace have picked up a bit
Conversely Bournemouth and Burnley or on a downward trend
Either way our positive goal difference so far tells the real story
Of course we are not safe, until we are mathematically safe
I don’t know what the odds will be given for us to be relegated, I don’t gamble
But I think that bet will be a waste of money
I think we are on course to do what Wolves did
In the first season up
Yes the points difference between us and the bottom three is pretty tight
But it is going to take a big upturn in form for a lot of sides To drag us Into the bottom three
They can’t all win all the time
For a start they have to play each other
And they have to stop shipping so many goals
And teams like Spurs and Man United of finding their form
I am used to the rollercoasters of supporting the blades since 1969
But I predict come New Year’s Day
We still won’t be mathematically safe
But we will be safe anyway

West Ham went down with 41 points.

I will be happy when we hit 43.

If we get 6 points from the rest of December ..if 2 wins ...I thin’ that’s puts us a great position ..before a run of tough games ...if we get somehow get to 30 points by end of January ..then it’s nearly home and hosed

If we win 2 of the next 3 that puts us on 28 points at the half way mark. This would leave us leaving needing just 4 wins out of 19 in the second half of the season to get to 40 points.

From there on in it would take a collapse of truly extraordinary proportions to send us down. This little run up to and including boxing day could be massive.

Conversely, the frightening thing is no team has beaten us, we've lost games due to odd mistakes./ VAR. Cut them out and once Didsy, calms down and finds his shooting boots Champion s league is not impossible.

I think the table is irrelevant right now in terms of how far we are in front. It's all about the points tally. We basically need 6 wins from 22 games (or 5 and a few draws) so i'm just looking at it like that. We could do with stringing 2 wins together at some point and Saturday would be a great time to do that.

Id be happpy to be on 25 pts by the halfway mark
I wouldn't be cost that means 3 points from Villa H, Watford H and Brighton A.

We have to be careful talking about half way. Our first 19 matches include 2 against Watford. Our second 19 matches include 2 against Man City - so we probably need 23 points in the first 19 games to be on target for 40 overall - and maybe 25 to be on target for 42. My forecast is 26 after 19 games and 45 at the end of the season.

Last edited:
Ensuring we avoid relegation is obviously of paramount importance, but we also need to finish the season in decent form - no taking the foot off the peddle.
We don’t want to drop in to a losing habit and have it continue into next season like Watford and Spurs did this year. Next year needs to be about consolidation, not the dreaded “2nd season syndrome”.

Not by a long shot. We also have to factor in potential United balls-ups, points deductions (that foreign keeper) and Wilder taking a pickaxe to VAR.

I can't wait to see us play when we are safe it will be a pleasure to behold , we play fantastic football now , when we're under pressure imagine what it could be like when the shackles are off
UTB NBM

Although points will ultimately decide our fate, taking a snapshot at a point in time doesn’t tell the whole story. A better indicator is performances.

Our performances have been consistently good. No team has looked capable of turning us over. Yes we’ve lost a few games, but we’ve been more than a match for any of them.

I’m very confident we will stay up. If we sign a few quality players in Jan we could be top 6.

At worst we’ll be well clear of the relegation zone imo.

I'm optimistic we will stay up as at the moment we are one of the better teams in the league (yes that's right one of the better teams in the premier league!). However with the run of fixtures after boxing day I'm predicting a few of the panicy, doom and gloom types to get themselves in a right state.

Each to their own, but when fans play the numbers game saying things like "We need X wins from Y games" or "We need X points to be safe", I find it such a negative mentality.
We aim to win this league, and nothing less.

We should have more points than we have,our performances deserve more,now we are getting used to the standard of the prem I think we can kick on.
Tufty said before the season we'd get a few hammerings but I don't think we will.
My prediction is 55 points

We’ve been safe in my eyes for weeks. The league being as open as it is has been a slight worry mind, especially when we went 1 down yesterday. But winning that was huge and I’m back to not being remotely worried again.

15 points off the bottom 10 and 7 off the top 10. Doesn't look like relegation form. We are not Hull. We are here to stay.

I'm predicting a points total of between 44 - 49 points which should have us safely around 11th to 16th. Massively successful first season back!

if we can get 3 wins or 2 wins & a draw which is highly possible get on to 29/31 pts. we would only need 5 wins from 19? & we wouldnt be any where near a relegation battle

Tufty said before the season we'd get a few hammerings but I don't think we will.

We have to go to both City and Liverpool, over a particularly busy period and we never rotate the squad. We will cop at least one hammering this season.

If our first XI were always fit and never tired, I would actually agree with you. But that's obviously not possible.

Back
Top Bottom