Are we actually as skint as some fans claim?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

TheGregBlade

Reaction score
Take the caption below with a pinch of salt because it came from Google but I think the idea that we are 'skint' is probably a bit off given how much we have trimmed from our wage bill.

£169,000 per week saving just from releasing the players we didn't need or couldn't keep. If we shift out the extra £25k per week for Verrips and Burke that actually gets us close to £200,000 per week in savings. That's a decent chunk of money. The club 'seems' to be self-sustaining so it could mean that we do something with that rather than having to use it to balance the books. If we get some decent players in early I can see us having a go this year if we keep hold of our best players.

1653986740589.png

Guedioura, Verrips and Olsen already gone from that list.

Ideally we wouldn't be paying Stevens (not the same player he was) and O'Connell (don't think he will play for hs again) their wages, but we are and we need to honour their contracts unless we can get Stevens out on loan and pay a percentage of his contract along with his new club. Hourihanes wage will also have been removed from the bill and even if we do sign him again this summer it will be on a considerably lower wage now that his Villa deal has run out.

Even if we bring in 6 or 7 new players this summer, I'd wager that the wage bill will have come down considerably since 12 months ago when we were a newly relegated team. It often needs 12 months after relegation to get the wages back under control and sufficient player churn to get it more settled behind the scenes. With the young lads coming through and and all having had another year on their belts, I'm optimistic that we are getting back to being in a good place again and we are an attractive club to players for many reasons.

I don't think we're skint at all. But, as Blades, we're used to being skint. So it's second nature (or first nature) to assume we are. I'm not convinced that list of figures is right, mind. I heard Verrips was on close to treble that quoted figure. And Brewster... My god. That's how Wilder spent our money is it?

I hope the insurance company are paying JOCs wages.

I hope the insurance company are paying JOCs wages.

Knowing how long insurance claims can take, the answer to this would be "possibly, but not yet" - if there's any indication of negligence on SUFC's side then it is probably with the lawyers and will be for some time

Knowing how long insurance claims can take, the answer to this would be "possibly, but not yet" - if there's any indication of negligence on SUFC's side then it is probably with the lawyers and will be for some time
We all know they don't like paying out. I don't know the nature of the injury or how close he was to a return but I'm sure they'll be looking for some loophole somewhere, they always do.

We all know they don't like paying out. I don't know the nature of the injury or how close he was to a return but I'm sure they'll be looking for some loophole somewhere, they always do.

If we've tried to rush him back against medical advice, that would certainly do it

We are not skint, but we have owners who are reluctant to spend what we need after Wilders £70m+ bad spending

If we've tried to rush him back against medical advice, that would certainly do it
Depends what "rushing him back" actually means. Was he on some injections at the time maybe? I'm not sure how far medical advice can stretch. What if JOC put his hands up to get back into it? Lots of different scenarios which I'm sure any possible insurance company would be looking at. If rushing back aggregated the same injury then I'd argue they wouldn't have to pay out. The club can afford it as it is, but considering the time he's been out it now becomes problematic. We all love him but sentiment won't stretch to £20k a week to do nothing.

Take the caption below with a pinch of salt because it came from Google but I think the idea that we are 'skint' is probably a bit off given how much we have trimmed from our wage bill.

£169,000 per week saving just from releasing the players we didn't need or couldn't keep. If we shift out the extra £25k per week for Verrips and Burke that actually gets us close to £200,000 per week in savings. That's a decent chunk of money. The club 'seems' to be self-sustaining so it could mean that we do something with that rather than having to use it to balance the books. If we get some decent players in early I can see us having a go this year if we keep hold of our best players.

View attachment 136858

Don't be fooled. All those wages are paid with free training gear and IOU's.

The answer is dependent on the definition of 'skint'.

It would take an essay to answer the question of the OP as there are many factors to consider.

If we look at transfer activity this would suggest we are ‘comfortable’ … we only sold one major player in Ramsdale and kept the core squad together. It could be argued that some of players would not have been coveted by others but still we kept hold of the majority that were.

I fully expect another major sale (Berge) this summer or Jan. This is usual for a team relegated from the prem unless you’re going boom or bust ala Bournemouth. However, let’s keep in mind they were in the prem for a good deal longer than us so would have built some cash reserves.

In terms of incomings this has mainly been loans and short term deals. Again not surprising given the need to potentially address the squad if we didn’t make it back first time and given the huge outlay when in the prem (for very little return)

This season I would expect 50/50 in terms of permanents and loans as Bettis said we want them in early and you usually only secure permanent signings early with loans allowed out further in the window once others are comfortable with their squad.

Of the perks I think we will be looking in the £1-£2 mil bracket with a big purchase or two if Berge goes possibly £4-£5mil.

Guedioura, Verrips and Olsen already gone from that list.

Ideally we wouldn't be paying Stevens (not the same player he was) and O'Connell (don't think he will play for hs again) their wages, but we are and we need to honour their contracts unless we can get Stevens out on loan and pay a percentage of his contract along with his new club. Hourihanes wage will also have been removed from the bill and even if we do sign him again this summer it will be on a considerably lower wage now that his Villa deal has run out.

Even if we bring in 6 or 7 new players this summer, I'd wager that the wage bill will have come down considerably since 12 months ago when we were a newly relegated team. It often needs 12 months after relegation to get the wages back under control and sufficient player churn to get it more settled behind the scenes. With the young lads coming through and and all having had another year on their belts, I'm optimistic that we are getting back to being in a good place again and we are an attractive club to players for many reasons.
Surely there will be an insurance payout for O'Connell??

I fully expect another major sale (Berge) this summer or Jan. This is usual for a team relegated from the prem unless you’re going boom or bust ala Bournemouth. However, let’s keep in mind they were in the prem for a good deal longer than us so would have built some cash reserves.

I find that hard to believe given the amount of players they needed to sell to avoid what, at the time, was thought to be inevitable administration otherwise

£30K per week for Luke Freeman.....Christ on a bike......I wonder how much that translates to £'s per minute paid, a fucking lot I will bet...

Another stupid Wilder signing, I really hope Steve Gibson knows what he has let himself in for at Boro...
Pound for pound, for me it is the worst transfer of the lot when you consider the fee, wages and his contribution, or lack thereof. Fair play to his agent for negotiating that salary, although I guess he was our record signing, albeit briefly, and he was well regarded and ‘in demand’ when he joined.

Pound for pound, for me it is the worst transfer of the lot when you consider the fee, wages and his contribution, or lack thereof. Fair play to his agent for negotiating that salary, although I guess he was our record signing, albeit briefly, and he was well regarded and ‘in demand’ when he joined.

And when you consider some of the competition for "worst Wilder signing" that is some accolade when you think of the rest of them, Ricky Holmes, Ryan Leonard, Lee Evans, Chris Hussey, James Wilson, Lys Moussett, Caolan Lavery, Samir Carruthers, Ben Heneghan, Ben Woodburn, Kean Bryan, Conor Washington, Ravel Morrison, Jack Fucking Rodwell, Panos Retsos, Richaro Zivkovic, Max Lowe, Olly Burke......and that's not including the likes of McBurnie, Brewster, Lundstram....

Wilder really did buy some shite, even Warnock wasn't that bad...

As always with these websites that have players wages on, they're all guesses. There's no way we were only paying Olsen 13k per week. The Athletic says Olsen and Verrips combined over 50k per week. From his court trial McBurnie is on 20k per week, not 22k.

View attachment 136858
I hope we weren't paying Hourihane anywhere near 42k per week

I doubt we're 'skint' but we have an existing wage bill to manage with reducing parachute money.

I do expect, however, a frustrating summer where we see targets go to the likes of WBA, Boro, Burnley, Norwich etc instead of us.

And when you consider some of the competition for "worst Wilder signing" that is some accolade when you think of the rest of them, Ricky Holmes, Ryan Leonard, Lee Evans, Chris Hussey, James Wilson, Lys Moussett, Caolan Lavery, Samir Carruthers, Ben Heneghan, Ben Woodburn, Kean Bryan, Conor Washington, Ravel Morrison, Jack Fucking Rodwell, Panos Retsos, Richaro Zivkovic, Max Lowe, Olly Burke......and that's not including the likes of McBurnie, Brewster, Lundstram....

Wilder really did buy some shite, even Warnock wasn't that bad...
Commented on now with the power of hindsight

Back
Top Bottom