Any Youngsters Ready for First Team Yet?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Charlieblade

Reaction score
Are any of the academy players ready for first team football yet? Jebbison, Brunt and Lopata seem to have made a good impression, albeit against lower league opposition. If the hesitance against signings and loans continues, the new manager may have little option but to blood them in the Championship.
I do realize that it’s normal form for young players to go out on loan in order to give them the experience needed in grown up football, but why does this have to apply to everyone?

Jebbison has had his chance and seemingly not made the step up, but what if he, and others were put in a position where Slav has no choice to use them. If we are going to get off to a slow start, surely this is the time to get them playing at the level required. A young mind and body is more malleable than an old one. Start Brunt for Fleck and Lopata for the absent LCB?

Plenty of examples of youngsters making it at the very top, and the blades are no exception to this. Why not give it a go?

Yours Mr Naive.

Are any of the academy players ready for first team football yet? Jebbison, Brunt and Lopata seem to have made a good impression, albeit against lower league opposition. If the hesitance against signings and loans continues, the new manager may have little option but to blood them in the Championship.
I do realize that it’s normal form for young players to go out on loan in order to give them the experience needed in grown up football, but why does this have to apply to everyone?

Jebbison has had his chance and seemingly not made the step up, but what if he, and others were put in a position where Slav has no choice to use them. If we are going to get off to a slow start, surely this is the time to get them playing at the level required. A young mind and body is more malleable than an old one. Start Brunt for Fleck and Lopata for the absent LCB?

Plenty of examples of youngsters making it at the very top, and the blades are no exception to this. Why not give it a go?

Yours Mr Naive.
As things stand I’d be happy giving lopata a look over Robinson after his Birmingham showing but if we want promotion we have to recruit because lopata will make mistakes and probably will cost us points as he learns.

Brunt/slater are probably the back up players for the right hand side of midfield as it stands and so if things were to hypotheticalstay as they are they’d have a chance to stake a claim based purely on inevitable injuries/suspensions.

Jebbisons issue in terms of seeing the pitch is our depth upfront this year.

Seriki may well come back faster than you can blink if baldock is ultimately sold and he’d then be our second choice right back.

If this ends up being the situation after the window closes we won’t be getting promoted though. These lads will get good experience and probably improve as players but we’ll have a pretty mediocre season and in all likelihood lose at least one or two of them next summer.

I'd like to see Jebbo in the mix, but would rather have an experienced defender with height ahead of Lopata since it's riskier to have inexperience at the back.

As things stand I’d be happy giving lopata a look over Robinson after his Birmingham showing but if we want promotion we have to recruit because lopata will make mistakes and probably will cost us points as he learns.

Brunt/slater are probably the back up players for the right hand side of midfield as it stands and so if things were to hypotheticalstay as they are they’d have a chance to stake a claim based purely on inevitable injuries/suspensions.

Jebbisons issue in terms of seeing the pitch is our depth upfront this year.

Seriki may well come back faster than you can blink if baldock is ultimately sold and he’d then be our second choice right back.

If this ends up being the situation after the window closes we won’t be getting promoted though. These lads will get good experience and probably improve as players but we’ll have a pretty mediocre season and in all likelihood lose at least one or two of them next summer.

I'd want to play Brunt centrally in the 3

I'd want to play Brunt centrally in the 3
Risky given his stature and I can’t recall seeing him doing it for the 23’s he operated wide in the half space either right or left linking with the advanced fullbacks. Not saying he couldn’t do it because he’s a technically good player but it would take a while for him to pick up the role I’d imagine.

Rnd could play on the left of Defence easily

The answer to the OP is probably not. Not starting regularly for a Championship team looking for promotion.

They did brilliantly to win their league last season but it is the equivalent to a youth league for bottom half Championship/ Top half league 1.

Many of them would benefit from going out on loan. We should be loaning 6-10 of them out and loaning in 4-5 players. Not blocking their progress but giving them the best chance to progress.

Whats strange for me is we have been looking at 19 yearly defenders from bigger so called clubs to fill the gap that have no championship experience, but dont fancy our own ? I think what we will find is if Slav thinks they are good enough they will play, and Im ok with that.

If anybody need a example of the step up from U18/23s to even L2 level just look who the 2 UTD players were who were cramping up with 10 mins to go on Tuesday.
Cardio fitness is one essential, the intensity of the Pro game is another.

If anybody need a example of the step up from U18/23s to even L2 level just look who the 2 UTD players were who were cramping up with 10 mins to go on Tuesday.
Yeah because I've never seen a experienced pro cramping up in a match before.

Yeah because I've never seen a experienced pro cramping up in a match before.
Morning Swinton, bit harsh mate, do we have history?
For context, in TUESDAYS game 2 of our promising youngsters who were making their Pro debuts and lasted 90 minutes sufferd the effect of lactic acid build up in there legs. Most of the seasoned players looked like they were coasting 2nd half in what was essentially a Pre Season friendly and didn't suffer with cramp.
The pace and intensity of which we played the game were key. 2 of our players cramped up, the others did not.
Apolgies if you understood the point I was trying to make and you just wanted to be a twat for some reason.

Game management;)

I think my post was looking at the worst case scenario of very few arrivals, permanent or loan. Puts the manager in a tough position so early in the season, with such a poorly constructed pre-season.
He could be left with no choice!

I also hope that we don’t lose promising youngsters through the frustration of not playing.

For those of us who didn’t get to the Carlisle match who were the 2 players who cramped up?

Whoever they were, they have a valid reason to be cramped up. They played about 45 mins of Football since May.

So it may have been lack of match fitness rather than the intensity of the game.

Apologies for my ignorance but haven’t some of the young players already had loan experience so should be able to fit in if good enough?

Apologies for my ignorance but haven’t some of the young players already had loan experience so should be able to fit in if good enough?
At football league level? Smith, slater, RND. Dewhurst and Eastwood as well but didn’t get many minutes.

Tyler Smith is ready

Tbf tho i am immensely biased towards proper Blades
Ready for the National league maybe, and those clammering for Zak Brunt to start games will be disappointed too.
Hes nowhere near ready.
If you doubt this look how many starts he'll get, and which league take him loan.
And to answer the OP question, one, Norrington-Davies.

Tyler Smith had a good game so think he would be ok from the bench and integrate him slowly
RND has had a season on loan in the Championship and played International football with Wales so should be ready
Brunt did ok again maybe ok from the bench

The Academy lads all did ok but may play / look better with experienced pros playing alongside them its a big ask for a team containing five academy lads chucked into a first team together to make good impressions

I don't pretend to know the idiosyncracies that separate the players who are ready and those that are not. However I'd imagine discipline and concentration are as favourable attributes if not more so than the ability to do a few step overs.

From what I've seen of the first team, some of them don't look ready to play in the Championship!
From what I saw on Tuesday, it's difficult to tell because they were apparently playing against Carlisle's 2nd string. Nevertheless, I was actually underwhelmed by RND, I was expecting to see him rampaging down the left all game. I thought Gordon and Brunt were neat and tidy, without being under any real pressure and Tyler Smith looked quite lively.

For me the biggest positives were Brewster obviously finally scoring and I thought Luke Freeman was decent and tried to drive the game forward when he was on the ball.

I don’t get this ready/not ready argument. If you’re good enough and competing in training, you’re ready. I can’t once recall any academy player coming in and letting us down.

Tyler Smith is ready

Tbf tho i am immensely biased towards proper Blades

He was probably the second best player on the park on Tuesday, but I cannot see how he gets any game time given how deep we are at his position

Back
Top Bottom