Another nail in the PL coffin...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

There are fans of many clubs who should be looking to consolidate in the PL who feel this way. I'm not suggesting they're in the majority but I've had many conversations over quite a few years now, usually before and after games, with opposition fans of clubs like those you mention who aren't passionate about playing in the top flight any longer.

We recently had a few drinks with Leeds fans we got chatting to on a day out in Hebden Bridge who felt the same.

I'm not saying it's binary but I think it's people who attend games regularly who feel like this as opposed to those who watch more on tv.
I think that's absolutely right.

It's like football is becoming "gentrified" - it's all about money, success, image and fame - it's about brand and sales figures and about watching your favourite club play another plastic club in a sports bar while drinking over-priced lager.

It's not about the history, heritage, community and local ties the game was built on - it's not about meeting your mates in the Golden Lion before kick off, that pride when the lads run out, screaming yourself raw backing them, and holding back the tears when we get relegated (okay - less the last one this time around).

Most Blades are just like the true fans of other clubs. Pay the ticket money, drink the beer, stand in the rain, wear the colours, cheer the lads - the club is in our blood - but we're yesterday's people.

The game has moved on and we're no more important than window dressing to those who make the big decisions. The world has turned and both our club and ourselves have been left behind. That's not to say we have to accept it happily - in fact we should be mightily pissed off that the EPL have sacrificed our club and us - and all the history and heritage and decades of emotions not just at BDTBL but over a hundred other clubs - just so they can promote the EPL brand and rake in the coins.

Increasingly I'm at a place where I'm still a Blade, but I hate the game.

And even the first match of the cricket season was rained off without a ball being bowled. 😕

I mean you did not answer my question jt64. why the big foreign clubs can't compete if they were in the English Premier League?

I didn't comment one way or another as to whether they could compete or not. They probably could given PL TV money. My point is that matchday revenues are a tiny, tiny fraction of revenue in the PL, and as such saying that Milan would be competitive if they stayed at the San Siro but not if they groundshared with Middlesbrough is misunderstanding where a teams' competitive advantage comes from. City could move into Stockport's ground tomorrow and still win the league.

I think that's absolutely right.

It's like football is becoming "gentrified" - it's all about money, success, image and fame - it's about brand and sales figures and about watching your favourite club play another plastic club in a sports bar while drinking over-priced lager.

It's not about the history, heritage, community and local ties the game was built on - it's not about meeting your mates in the Golden Lion before kick off, that pride when the lads run out, screaming yourself raw backing them, and holding back the tears when we get relegated (okay - less the last one this time around).

Most Blades are just like the true fans of other clubs. Pay the ticket money, drink the beer, stand in the rain, wear the colours, cheer the lads - the club is in our blood - but we're yesterday's people.

The game has moved on and we're no more important than window dressing to those who make the big decisions. The world has turned and both our club and ourselves have been left behind. That's not to say we have to accept it happily - in fact we should be mightily pissed off that the EPL have sacrificed our club and us - and all the history and heritage and decades of emotions not just at BDTBL but over a hundred other clubs - just so they can promote the EPL brand and rake in the coins.

Increasingly I'm at a place where I'm still a Blade, but I hate the game.

And even the first match of the cricket season was rained off without a ball being bowled. 😕
This is a brilliant but sad post mate. I completely agree and hope we can get our game back. It's weird but I will feel better in the Championship, even if we don't actually do very well. It'll feel more real, and no complaints about that.

Your point is not the point I was asking so you cannot answer my question correctly that is not important so it does not matter. However, I do agree matchday revenue for the people who pay to attend the games is tiny. Spurs for instance make three and a half million per home game because of fantastic stadium facilities. Liverpool has shown how greedy they are by putting season ticket fees and matchday ticket fees up for next season. their fans are not very pleased at all.

The money in the game has meant that we’ve had to invest in technology and coaching to improve the game from grassroots up. So we’ve ended up with technically better players.

But I’d be happy yo-yoing with the latest academy kids coming through and the odd big signing, I grew up on ‘80’s and ‘90’s football with forays into the premier league. I go less in the top league as the games are rarely sat/ tues and I have a life beyond football a lot of the time.

I’ve no interest in a big investor, just keep plugging away wheeling and dealing.

I’d like a European run someday, but only against opposition in countries of my choosing. Couldnt think of anything worse than some poxy French town in mid November or a February away trip to Netherlands. I’d want all our away games to be in warm interesting locations where the beer is colder than the weather, otherwise i can watch us away at Boro or Blackburn instead

I'd be happy to yoyo, steal some Prem money, go down, come back up for a few years, but you need a big investor just to yoyo.

Only a matter of time I reckon before premier league matches go abroad.

They massively disrespect the league, the clubs and the entire culture of the game when they come out with such bollocks

I hope they do it but not with my club or I’ll be returning my season ticket and turning my back on them

They massively disrespect the league, the clubs and the entire culture of the game when they come out with such bollocks

I hope they do it but not with my club or I’ll be returning my season ticket and turning my back on them
The peoples sport is being taken over by faceless big business from abroad and the real fans will have no say in it .

I don't think he's talking every game week, just one week of the season celebrated as international game week.

the NFL and NBA play actual in-season games overseas every now and then.

Wait til we got bought by Google and have to play 3 hone games a year at the Silicon Valley LGBTQ+ Dome with 30k fans all wearing rainbow half and half scarfs and John Barrowman sings the national anthem before the game.

I kind of half hope this happens just to see the reaction of some of our fan base!

Massive over reaction here imo, they do it in NFL and it hasn’t impacted it and they also do it with other sports

The only problem I see from it will be the fans will still end up paying similar if not increased season ticket prices, would be nice to see clubs do something with that but I highly doubt it

Don’t worry too much I think we are safe for a while😉

Massive over reaction here imo, they do it in NFL and it hasn’t impacted it and they also do it with other sports

The only problem I see from it will be the fans will still end up paying similar if not increased season ticket prices, would be nice to see clubs do something with that but I highly doubt it

Agree....it's all hot air by a tiny minority.
It's the insular little Sheffielder mentality where people prefer to live in the past.
I remember in the 70's some Sheffielders complaining about supermarkets insisting it will be the death of the treasured "corner shop".
They said supermarkets weren't real shops, traffic would be too high, too impersonable not knowing the shop owner, just not the same experience.
I even heard people back then saying they would never use a supermarket because it's killing "proper grocers shops"

A few decades later and the above now sounds non sensical.
In some ways it's sad to lose so many corner shops but the bottom line is this is called progress.

It will be the same with playing a match or two abroad.
The advantages will massively outweigh the negatives.

If people want to show genuine discontent then it's simple.....STOP going to matches.....STOP paying for a Sky Sports subscription.
However over the decades the Premier league has got bigger and bigger and more successful.
Clubs charge high prices.....but football England have never been as popular in it's entire 140 odd year history.
Man Utd and Liverpool have season ticket waiting lists of 30,000 with many millions of supporters around the world.
Arsenal and Newcastle have season tickets waiting lists of 25,000, even Leeds United have a waiting list of 20,000.

I've been hearing it since the mid 90's that "football isn't the same anymore" and "it's all about business"
Isn't this stating the obvious? These same people have been predicting doom and gloom that the bubble will burst.
However the bubble is just getting bigger each season with projections for future growth and success. It's not bursting any time soon.

This is the reason why Real Madrid, Barca, Juventus, Milan are desperate to form a Euro super league because they know that the Premier League is set to dominate the world in an even bigger way than it is now. The Spanish and Italian leagues have zero chance to compete financially because the world has little interest in those leagues. compared to the Premier League (which has become the super league).

Of course I understand the preference for nostalgia and keeping everything the same but what's the saying "if you plan to stand still then you go backwards". It's general laws of ecomonics (with ideas stolen from the USA) being applied to football.

People want us to acquire new owners but do they realise that any new owners will actually be "investors".
This means they aren't just gifting us money, they will be studying all ideas to make a profit, so ultimately they can take money out of the club.
How do people feel about a group of people coming into the club to build it up then feed off it? This is business.

Wait til we got bought by Google and have to play 3 hone games a year at the Silicon Valley LGBTQ+ Dome with 30k fans all wearing rainbow half and half scarfs and John Barrowman sings the national anthem before the game.

I kind of half hope this happens just to see the reaction of some of our fan base!
Maybe we'll have to rewrite the GCB ," Like a night out in San Francisco, like a greasy chip, but nevermind

It's the insular little Sheffielder mentality where people prefer to live in the past.
I remember in the 70's some Sheffielders complaining about supermarkets insisting it will be the death of the treasured "corner shop".
They said supermarkets weren't real shops, traffic would be too high, too impersonable not knowing the shop owner, just not the same experience.
I even heard people back then saying they would never use a supermarket because it's killing "proper grocers shops"

In some ways it's sad to lose so many corner shops but the bottom line is this is called progress.

If people want to show genuine discontent then it's simple.....STOP going to matches.....STOP paying for a Sky Sports subscription.
However over the decades the Premier league has got bigger and bigger and more successful.
Clubs charge high prices.....but football England have never been as popular in it's entire 140 odd year history.
Man Utd and Liverpool have season ticket waiting lists of 30,000 with many millions of supporters around the world.
Arsenal and Newcastle have season tickets waiting lists of 25,000, even Leeds United have a waiting list of 20,000.

I've been hearing it since the mid 90's that "football isn't the same anymore" and "it's all about business"
Isn't this stating the obvious? These same people have been predicting doom and gloom that the bubble will burst.
However the bubble is just getting bigger each season with projections for future growth and success. It's not bursting any time soon.

This is the reason why Real Madrid, Barca, Juventus, Milan are desperate to form a Euro super league because they know that the Premier League is set to dominate the world in an even bigger way than it is now. The Spanish and Italian leagues have zero chance to compete financially because the world has little interest in those leagues. compared to the Premier League (which has become the super league).

Of course I understand the preference for nostalgia and keeping everything the same but what's the saying "if you plan to stand still then you go backwards". It's general laws of ecomonics (with ideas stolen from the USA) being applied to football.

People want us to acquire new owners but do they realise that any new owners will actually be "investors".
This means they aren't just gifting us money, they will be studying all ideas to make a profit, so ultimately they can take money out of the club.
How do people feel about a group of people coming into the club to build it up then feed off it? This is business.
Maybe progress in your eyes. Your examples aren't better for the average person and it certainly isn't a "tiny minority."

I do take your point and it's well made however there are a lot of types of investments , some that provide an income , some that increase in value with the returns being realised on exit ( from buying a house to venture capital takeovers) .
All depends on the timeframe , but if you buy the club for £100m and invest a further £200m but sell in 5 or 6 years for £500m its still a very good return .
I can't help thinking that Brighton slipped up by making a huge profit , that's alot of corporation tax that could have been invested back into the business , unless of course they've reached thier ceiling.
Who knows how it'll all pan out ?

The NFL is a completely different kettle of fish to English (and most other) football though.

You walk in a stadium and you’re rinsed from the second you walk in to the second you leave. Beers are $16 a pint, food is extortionate. You can’t take anything of your own into the ground.

You can quite easily go to a football match and not spend a penny while you’re in the ground, do you think you can at an American football game?!

Players are paid a shitload for 16 games per season (plus playoffs if they get there).

We shouldn’t be using the NFL as a template for any kind of football. It’s ‘sporting entertainment’ rather than the sport we’re used to seeing at Brits.

Shock horror, game taken over my Americans and Middle East want games played in America or Middle East.

Americans in particular don't get football clubs. They're used to franchise fc... doesn't work here but they'll fucking try and introduce it

From whos perspective are you viewing these massively outweighing advantages?

Problem here is they’re gone righht for the jugular. the aim is a PL game. Right in there no fucking about instead of easing the fans into it by doing charity shield abroad and no one would give a fuck and after a few years no one would even notice..

Italy has been doing their charity shield on and off for about 30 years

Back
Top Bottom