CONFIRMED Anel Ahmedhodžić signs

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I keep seeing this, but is it factual?

He had a terrible 2020/21 campaign where he missed most of the season (32 games).

Last season he played in 38 of Reading's 46 league games. He missed the last 5 games with an ankle injury.

2021/22 - 32 league games, 11 goals
2020/21 - 14 league games, 1 goal (hamstring injury)
2019/20 - 41 league games, 6 goals
2018/19 - 34 league games, 3 goals
Good question. Maybe not horrendous... though it's debatable. He's appeared in 65.6% of league matches in the last 5 seasons at Reading.

Probably not what you'd want from your highest paid player and main creator.

Anybody know the reason Malmo decided to loan him out?

Season before last he played 30 odd times for Malmo then ended up loaned out to Bordeaux the season after.

Anybody know the reason Malmo decided to loan him out?

Season before last he played 30 odd times for Malmo then ended up loaned out to Bordeaux the season after.
I would imagine they agreed a pretty hefty fee to make it permanent

Whether WBA’s signings are “smart” is open to debate. I am not sure I would have welcomed any of them !
Let’s not load our squad with players who are average Championship players at best.
Remember also that the 6 required may not all come from other clubs.
You wouldnt take Jed Wallace? Tom Lawrence? There's an argument to be made about John Swift as he's injury prone but I would take the first two in a heartbeat. Fleck, Norwood & Berge have 0 competition as we speak. A squad is about good options in all positions, the teams that win promotion have this & its what B'mouth did in January to make sure they had a strong opportunity to gain promotion

You wouldnt take Jed Wallace? Tom Lawrence? There's an argument to be made about John Swift as he's injury prone but I would take the first two in a heartbeat. Fleck, Norwood & Berge have 0 competition as we speak. A squad is about good options in all positions, the teams that win promotion have this & its what B'mouth did in January to make sure they had a strong opportunity to gain promotion
Would they permanently replace what we have ? If so then we have missed out, but I am not sure they would either as footballers or personalities.

What frustrates me is that it’s only 1 of 6 players we’re needing & can’t get it over the line. West Brom have been smart with their business.

West Brom are paying Swift c. £40k a week, and put comfortably the biggest pay package in front of Wallace. They're getting players in, but whether its 'smart' I'm not so sure.

Would they permanently replace what we have ? If so then we have missed out, but I am not sure they would either as footballers or personalities.
Jed Wallace gets in our team yes.

What is the best starting 11 on paper isn’t what’s going to play week in week out so we need options. If Fleck, Norwood or Berge got injured tomorrow who comes in?

West Brom are paying Swift c. £40k a week, and put comfortably the biggest pay package in front of Wallace. They're getting players in, but whether its 'smart' I'm not so sure.
Working the free market means you over pay on wages as you’ve saved the transfer fee. I don’t rate swift so I’m not disappointed about him but Wallace & Lawrence (if they get him) is good business

That's why players run their contracts down.

Jed Wallace gets in our team yes.

What is the best starting 11 on paper isn’t what’s going to play week in week out so we need options. If Fleck, Norwood or Berge got injured tomorrow who comes in?
I understand the point but getting players of quality to come as standbys must be difficult. Premiership loanees have a different perspective and are probably confident in replacing individuals in the current squad.

Working the free market means you over pay on wages as you’ve saved the transfer fee. I don’t rate swift so I’m not disappointed about him but Wallace & Lawrence (if they get him) is good business

It's about putting a packet together you think is reasonable. Don't forget 'overpaying' on wages comes with consequences. I doubt Norwood and Fleck (for instance) would be chuffed to hear that Wallace would be on more than them. At the end of the day, particularly as we're cutting our cloth, we shouldn't be inflating wages just to get bodies in. If other clubs want to, sure, but that's clearly not the road we're going down. I do rate Swift, and think he'd have been a good signing 2 summers ago when we just missed out, but £40k a week is stupid money.

It's about putting a packet together you think is reasonable. Don't forget 'overpaying' on wages comes with consequences. I doubt Norwood and Fleck (for instance) would be chuffed to hear that Wallace would be on more than them. At the end of the day, particularly as we're cutting our cloth, we shouldn't be inflating wages just to get bodies in. If other clubs want to, sure, but that's clearly not the road we're going down. I do rate Swift, and think he'd have been a good signing 2 summers ago when we just missed out, but £40k a week is stupid money.
I get that completely, you have a colleague who's earning considerably more than you for the same job it's going to cause conflict (potentially). However, I also think that if they see the quality coming through the door it gives the player confidence promotion is achievable & pay rises that they'll get from that more accessible. Obviously, we want this to be affordable to the club & not risk the future.

The way we're doing business at the moment does worry me though. What I mean by this is the bulk of the squad is in its final year or two of contract. We don't have many assets & keep heavily relying on the loan window, but let's assess the state of play when the season starts.

I get that completely, you have a colleague who's earning considerably more than you for the same job it's going to cause conflict (potentially). However, I also think that if they see the quality coming through the door it gives the player confidence promotion is achievable & pay rises that they'll get from that more accessible. Obviously, we want this to be affordable to the club & not risk the future.

The way we're doing business at the moment does worry me though. What I mean by this is the bulk of the squad is in its final year or two of contract. We don't have many assets & keep heavily relying on the loan window, but let's assess the state of play when the season starts.

If the rumors are true we have targeted CM (Wiles) and CB (Anel/Ballard) for permanent transfers. That seems like its a decent move as those are the areas we have players aging out. We have assets up front (Ndiaye/Brewster), wingback (Bogle/Lowe), CB (Egan), and CM in Berge. Adding a CM and CB would give a good core to add to our aging pros, and youth players stepping up. If we sell Berge then I am sure it will give us the opportunity to bring in others too.

Targeting the loan market for the AM position is good business. Its exactly the position where we can't afford the quality we need to be challenging at the top end of the division. There are always talents available in this position from the top PL academies and we are an attractive club for those prospects. MGWs success will only reinforce that.

Bet you thought in 2018 that Derby were "smart" with their transfer business
Mel Morris is a different conversation all together so not a similar conversation. Where Bournemouth smart with their pre season January business? Yes because it got them promoted.

What did we do in league one? We signed the best available free transfers that played in the league, that’s what West br are doing

Bet you thought in 2018 that Derby were "smart" with their transfer business
You could also put Middlesborough in the mix who imo are doing great business and about to add Man City’s second choice keeper in.

We’re miles off it on recruitment. Proven championship talent gets you out of this league historically & we’re going down a completely different route bizarrely.

The quote ‘Winning leaves clues’ is so accurate. Look at the blueprint of our last championship success & work off it.

You could also put Middlesborough in the mix who imo are doing great business and about to add Man City’s second choice keeper in.

We’re miles off it on recruitment. Proven championship talent gets you out of this league historically & we’re going down a completely different route bizarrely.

The quote ‘Winning leaves clues’ is so accurate. Look at the blueprint of our last championship success & work off it.

Don’t necessarily disagree but there are more than one way to skin a cat. Plenty of clubs have gone up focusing on foreign talent (hudd/Norwich) for example.

And our last championship promotion team wasn’t exactly full of proven talents

Baldock, Stevens hadn’t really played there before
JOC hadn’t been a roaring success
The likes of sharp, Clarke and fleck had had to drop down divisions
Duffy was playing league one
Hendo hadnt played there before

The only ones who were of proven championship quality were Norwood, Egan and arguably McGoldrick (who’d just been let go).

I think Nathan Hemmingham is great - I think he understands what Utd supporters want and does his best to offer insights without betraying anyone at the club's trust.

The most noticeable thing however, is that it's obvious how much he enjoys his job. He's been like a breath of fresh air since he started, especially compared with James Shield (who gives the impression he'd rather do community service that break any Utd news) and Danny Hall (who'll do anything to flog a book). Mind you, it can't be much fun working for the sinking ship that is the Sheff Star these days.
What are some of the things Danny Hall has done to flog books like?

Didnt realise the EFL season starts tomorrow?
I said in another post we’ll see where we are after 10-15 games, I hope I’m wrong of course.
Don’t necessarily disagree but there are more than one way to skin a cat. Plenty of clubs have gone up focusing on foreign talent (hudd/Norwich) for example.

And our last championship promotion team wasn’t exactly full of proven talents

Baldock, Stevens hadn’t really played there before
JOC hadn’t been a roaring success
The likes of sharp, Clarke and fleck had had to drop down divisions
Duffy was playing league one
Hendo hadnt played there before

The only ones who were of proven championship quality were Norwood, Egan and arguably McGoldrick (who’d just been let go).
Completely agree, however we were promoted in the second season when those players had championship experience & then we added to that with Madine, Hogan, Norwood ( had promotions before), Egan (captain), McGoldrick (great pro) shrewd signings at the time. The youngster loans we had extra with Henderson & Dowell (good back up) made us such a strong squad

What’s that got to do with anything? 95% of that was spent in premier league not the championship not 1 penny came out of Princes pockets not 1. All teams that come down spend Fact but no not us no because all free loader abdular wants is to take every single penny from us he can come on who takes loans out on parachute payments

Back
Top Bottom