Amad Diallo

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Trusty would be better left back in the changing room rather than on the pitch.

I think we need a left back that isn't Trusty.
In the premier league may be (but then we could say that about all the players this season). But by all accounts he was decent for Birmingham in the championship. Here's how he compared to our defenders last season (not sure if he played centre back or left back for Brum?)...

1710256327728.png

Obviously if we can improve on any player we always should, and it looks like we might need an Egan replacement if he's not over his injury, plus a winger if we are going to adapt to a more modern formation - Diallo looks perfect if we could get him in (altho maybe out of our reach?)

Possibly a play off sniff with that side. Nobody knows anything much about Curtis whatsoever
True. I'm assuming Baldock will leave at the end of the season and Bogle is out of contract too, so at the moment Curtis it is! (Unless there's other youths that can play right back)

In the premier league may be (but then we could say that about all the players this season). But by all accounts he was decent for Birmingham in the championship. Here's how he compared to our defenders last season (not sure if he played centre back or left back for Brum?)...

View attachment 180543

Obviously if we can improve on any player we always should, and it looks like we might need an Egan replacement if he's not over his injury, plus a winger if we are going to adapt to a more modern formation - Diallo looks perfect if we could get him in (altho maybe out of our reach?)

I thought he was signed as a left sided centre half, left back definitely isn’t his position. I’d rather give Osborn another year and have him left back than Trusty.

I thought he was signed as a left sided centre half, left back definitely isn’t his position. I’d rather give Osborn another year and have him left back than Trusty.
We signed him as a LCB as we don't/didn't play with a LB. But for Birmingham he played as a LB in a back 4 a fair few times (about a quarter of their games, altho he usually played LCB in a 3 for them). I thought Robbo was also a LB originally before we bought him so maybe he's an option there if we don't want to spend money in that position? My first choice here would be RND if he can get over his injury.

I'd definitely keep Osborn, but as a midfield utility man (I actually think his best position is attacking left midfield), not as a left back (if we want to play 4 at the back). And if money is going to be as tight as we think, then I'd prioritise a CB (possibly to replace Egan if he's going and/or Robbo/Trusty if one of them moves to LB) and a right winger/attacking midfielder (to replace McAtee). And a striker maybe!

And let's be honest, nobody in our team this season has stood out as particularly good in any position they've been asked to play, but we know some of them were excellent in the Championship (Anel and Hamer, for example). The gulf between the Premier League and the Championship is absolutely massive now, so I wouldn't want to write anyone off for next season based on their performances this season (that includes players like Slimane and Traore for me) if they might prove useful.

This could be a pretty formidable team in the Championship (assuming Souza/Anel are sold and somehow Archer stays)...

View attachment 180539
That's a bold claim to say this team would be formidable with Brooks/Arblaster/Curtis, all of whom are unproven at Championship level. Add to that an aging, degrading Egan who constantly gets undone for pace and has failed repeatedly as part of a central double pairing. We've been killed by playing a high defensive line and having slow, cumbersome centre backs. Robinson and Egan are that. I'd rather see Rovinson and Trusty together. Let Egan go, he's past his prime and will never command a decent fee. Save some wages and bring in a long term replacement.

That's a bold claim to say this team would be formidable with Brooks/Arblaster/Curtis, all of whom are unproven at Championship level. Add to that an aging, degrading Egan who constantly gets undone for pace and has failed repeatedly as part of a central double pairing. We've been killed by playing a high defensive line and having slow, cumbersome centre backs. Robinson and Egan are that. I'd rather see Rovinson and Trusty together. Let Egan go, he's past his prime and will never command a decent fee. Save some wages and bring in a long term replacement.
As an English tutor and pedant, I have to point out that I said "could" not "would"!

As for the youngsters, I think Brooks has done ok (comparatively) and we'll see if Arblaster can keep his spot. Both of these would be tested at a higher level than the Championship. Curtis is a complete unknown you're right (but quite an exciting prospect apparently). And good point about Egan's wage, he must be one of the highest earners and if he's not going to be back to his best, he'd be a very expensive back up and perhaps that money could be better invested elsewhere.

I was trying to look at how a team might look with Diallo on the wing with the existing players as it's a formation I'd like to see us transition to to be a bit more modern. I did actually think about leaving Egan out as he's out of contract and there's doubts about playing in a back 4 (and freeing his wage would be useful), so like I said above, for me the priority for recruitment next season is CBs and RW (and probably a striker depending on the McBurnie/Archer situation)

So is your rationale we shouldn't even try them?
Not at all, my point was that we can't call a team formidable with unproven players, but as the poster said it was "could" not "would."

I'd rather see the likes of Curtis, Arblaster, Brooks and Osula (Jebbo, not bothered about), than see the likes of Bogle (except perhaps as a winger not full/wing back), Egan, Norwood or McBurnie pull on shirts again next season.

We need to build for the future and to do that we need to let go of the past.

Not at all, my point was that we can't call a team formidable with unproven players, but as the poster said it was "could" not "would."

I'd rather see the likes of Curtis, Arblaster, Brooks and Osula (Jebbo, not bothered about), than see the likes of Bogle (except perhaps as a winger not full/wing back), Egan, Norwood or McBurnie pull on shirts again next season.

We need to build for the future and to do that we need to let go of the past.

Fair enough. I just wanted to ascertain your take - there's many people here that would equate unproven to "clearly not ready, loan them out to Doncaster and bring in mediocre 28 year old on a three year deal" rather than having bollocks and giving people a chance. Personally, I'm in the couldn't give a shit about what they've done camp. If they're good enough or promising enough, play them.

Fair enough. I just wanted to ascertain your take - there's many people here that would equate unproven to "clearly not ready, loan them out to Doncaster and bring in mediocre 28 year old on a three year deal" rather than having bollocks and giving people a chance. Personally, I'm in the couldn't give a shit about what they've done camp. If they're good enough or promising enough, play them.
In the case of Osula and Arblaster, we know they can handle League One, so the Championship is a question mark but the natural step up for them. Brooks has been okay from what I've seen, raw but loses the ball a lot and lacks a final ball. He may have played in the Premier League but he's not exactly been as amazing as many have made out. He's stood out largely because he's not as poor as the rest, and I'm not suggesting he's crap. Curtis is another who's got a lot of experience already from the Irish league, but the Championship is a different kettle of fish. I'd still rather try all four though.

I have no problem with bringing in a 28 year old on high wages if they're a player who's proven to deliver the goods. I have an issue with signing 28 year olds on high wages on a manager's ego trip of "no one else has got them to play well, but I'm sure I'm the one who will get them going" ergo a Ravel Morrison/Jack Rodwell type.

Aye, let's not recruit anyone with experience or any older heads and just submit a team full of unproven u23 academy players, who have not played in the Championship before from an academy that doesn't even play against the best academies as its not cat 1.

Sounds a right good plan - sign me up:rolleyes:.

Aye, let's not recruit anyone with experience or any older heads and just submit a team full of unproven u23 academy players, who have not played in the Championship before from an academy that doesn't even play against the best academies as its not cat 1.

Sounds a right good plan - sign me up:rolleyes:.

Ah, the incredibly sensible "shit on all the kids" response. We have players with experience. We have older heads. Not that I give a shit about either - experience means fuck all if you can't play at the relative level any more. "Unproven" means fuck all if you can. I take it you'd keep playing Norwood ahead of Arblaster for the rest of the season, yes?

Ah, the incredibly sensible "shit on all the kids" response. We have players with experience. We have older heads. Not that I give a shit about either - experience means fuck all if you can't play at the relative level any more. "Unproven" means fuck all if you can. I take it you'd keep playing Norwood ahead of Arblaster for the rest of the season, yes?
My response wasn't anything to do with shitting on all the kids.

More to the point that you would rather risk it on an incredibly stupid gamble of a full season with unproven u23s with no other options. The same u23s that are unproven against the elites of their age group due to not being a cat 1 and playing against them.

Never once said I want Norwood playing over arblaster for the rest of the season or next season for that matter, he is rightly so based on his physical abilities a squad player now, which makes the suggestion from you bit strange. Why not say someone like hamer, to fit your narrative? 28 year old who's been mediocre for us this season, so would you have him over hamer next season or rest of this season?

I've already gave my opinion on the u23s, I don't mind them either way, as they are proving a better fight then some of the experienced first teamers. I have no issues and they should be in match day squad next season but to gamble on not recruiting 3/4 decent Championship players that could make the step up is daft.

The one that wound the Lane crowd up with his theatrical antics which helped us to fight back after being 2 down?
Yeah, so did BBD when he played us in the cup match which also fired the crowd up and helped us fight back from being 1 down.. point is?

We wouldn't sign any players if we based it on who wound our fans up..

Shouldn’t Bakayaro or the other highly rated left back, be looking to step up, if/when we are in the Championship next season?
Bakayaro?

Left backs currently on the books, U21s up

Yasser Larouci - loan ends May 2024
Max Lowe - out of contract June 2024
Rhys Norrington-Davies - out of contract June 2024
Harry Boyes - contract to June 2025, on loan at Fleetwood (L1)
Jili Buyabu - contract to June 2027, was on loan at Motherwell but back at United for personal reasons
Jay Tinsdale - contract to ?, signed from Bradford in August 2023

Bakayaro?

Left backs currently on the books, U21s up

Yasser Larouci - loan ends May 2024
Max Lowe - out of contract June 2024
Rhys Norrington-Davies - out of contract June 2024
Harry Boyes - contract to June 2025, on loan at Fleetwood (L1)
Jili Buyabu - contract to June 2027, was on loan at Motherwell but back at United for personal reasons
Jay Tinsdale - contract to ?, signed from Bradford in August 2023
No, it was Buyabu that I was thinking of.

Try one of the promising right backs at left first. You could be blocking some serious talent coming through.
You never know, one may have a talent for it.

Try one of the promising right backs at left first. You could be blocking some serious talent coming through.
You never know, one may have a talent for it.
Two of our best ever left backs were primarily right footed, Graham Shaw and Ted Helmsley. Obviously I'd prefer a left footer but not an absolute necessity if you've got nous and a football brain.

They might not work, but they’re young and by a lot of accounts we’ve 2, now 3 very promising right backs. They aren’t all going to be able to progress to a regular first team spot and we’ve a real opportunity on the left.
As I’ve said on other threads I’d keep Baldock to ease any replacements in, but we should at least look at the option if these kids are good enough.

Back
Top Bottom