Almost 14 Years Ago. Does anyone have video footage?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Gin&Juice

Reaction score
Was thinking about this today in the pub during a discussion about Michael Brown. Arguably the best goal he ever scored for us (In my opinion better than his goal against them who are Yorkshire with a capital Y) in a 4-0 win against a Marcelo inspired Birmingham City and it's never really mentioned or even remembered for that matter.

I remember him bashing the ball into the top corner from 35/40 yards out, I also remember us being 3-0 up and some nonce behind throwing his toys out the pram because we didn't bring Suffo on at half time.

Anyway for those who need their memories refreshing there is a link below detailing the match.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/1658676.stm

Was thinking about this today in the pub during a discussion about Michael Brown. Arguably the best goal he ever scored for us (In my opinion better than his goal against them who are Yorkshire with a capital Y) in a 4-0 win against a Marcelo inspired Birmingham City and it's never really mentioned or even remembered for that matter.

I remember him bashing the ball into the top corner from 35/40 yards out, I also remember us being 3-0 up and some nonce behind throwing his toys out the pram because we didn't bring Suffo on at half time.

Anyway for those who need their memories refreshing there is a link below detailing the match.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/1658676.stm

I don't have any video footage, but I agree it was probably the best goal he scored for us. It must have been about 40 yards out and he leathered it into the net. Might be wrong, but I remember it as dipping quite a lot on it's way in.

Also, the much maligned Nick Montgomery played ery well that day. Think he might have scored and also assisted one of Peschisolido's goals with an excellent cross.

This was the first season I started going as a season ticket holder. I don't remember the Michael Brown goal but I do remember Monty getting his first goal.

Brownie was a proper midfielder, hard as nails and could score. He was always loyal to whichever team he was playing for, I remember him coming back to BDTBL and kicking the crap out of his former colleague, Michael Tonge.

Would love to see a video of this. I was on the South Stand that day. Am I right in thinking it clipped the bar?

ITV Sport (before they went under) were present that day; I know this because I went up with them in their Range Rover as we filmed some nice fake footage of me hitchhiking. It was for a programme called On The Road.

I have a copy of the TV programme but I don't think there was much in the way of decent match action on it. Another problem is I've only got it on VHS with nothing to play it on. And the last problem, and this really is the biggy, also featured on the show was the Pig band.

Would love to see a video of this. I was on the South Stand that day. Am I right in thinking it clipped the bar?

From memory mate, yes, but only from memory, would need to see it again

ITV Sport (before they went under) were present that day; I know this because I went up with them in their Range Rover as we filmed some nice fake footage of me hitchhiking. It was for a programme called On The Road.

I have a copy of the TV programme but I don't think there was much in the way of decent match action on it. Another problem is I've only got it on VHS with nothing to play it on. And the last problem, and this really is the biggy, also featured on the show was the Pig band.

"....also featured on the show was the Pig band....."

Good grief mate, burn that VHS tape straight away!

Is it the one on 2.33 of this video?

Look at the passion on his face when he runs to the crowd, around five minutes in, what would we give for that sort of player now?

Can someone please forward this footage to Jose Baxter? Because he has the skills, but maybe not always the confidence? Jose, you can be this type of midfielder, believe in yourself and work hard!!!!

No that was against Ipswich in the FA Cup 4th round in 2003
The one against wendy was in midweek and the perfect replay as you say was in the game above. 3-0 up to 3-3 then won 4-3.
The one against the wendy has to be his greatest. The whole technique, skill and Roy of the Rovers perfect body shape in that action is stunning.

I vaguely remember the Birmingham one but nothing will ever top the Pigs goal at the Lane. Given that Pressman was being his usual self and keeping them in it single handedly, the context, timing and euphoria of that goal makes it the greatest I have ever witnessed as a Blade. I could be locked in a room with nothing but that video on a loop for the rest of my life and I would not get bored. "Pick that out you fat Piggy f***er!"

On The Road, the fans' guide to following your team around the country.
We were driving a Ford Galaxy not a Range Rover. Not all TV is made on a big budget y'know.
We weren't allowed to show any match action for contractual reasons, only able to film crowd reaction...if the match was apparent it was ok but we couldn't point the cameras directly at the game. Stupid, but that's football and Television for you. In fact, doing a London episode, we actually got chased out of a Millwall game by a bunch of fans who thought we were filming for the police!
And Yes, the pig band featured (nothing to do with me)as did the Chuckle Brothers (who we interviewed in the now non existent Belvedere pub on Moorgate) as each programme featured four or five teams from a region...ours also covered Rotherham and Barnsley...

On The Road, the fans' guide to following your team around the country.
We were driving a Ford Galaxy not a Range Rover. Not all TV is made on a big budget y'know.
We weren't allowed to show any match action for contractual reasons, only able to film crowd reaction...if the match was apparent it was ok but we couldn't point the cameras directly at the game. Stupid, but that's football and Television for you. In fact, doing a London episode, we actually got chased out of a Millwall game by a bunch of fans who thought we were filming for the police!
And Yes, the pig band featured (nothing to do with me)as did the Chuckle Brothers (who we interviewed in the now non existent Belvedere pub on Moorgate) as each programme featured four or five teams from a region...ours also covered Rotherham and Barnsley...
We did the same at The old Basball ground v Derby County for the 'Greasy Chip Buttie' video fanzine, we filmed the United supporters stood on the terrace in the corner of the ground - and we got some dirty looks From some unitedites, I think they thought we were the police :/ Sean Bean was in the crowed with some of his mates (take a look think it was volume 2?)

Look at the passion on his face when he runs to the crowd, around five minutes in, what would we give for that sort of player now?

Can someone please forward this footage to Jose Baxter? Because he has the skills, but maybe not always the confidence? Jose, you can be this type of midfielder, believe in yourself and work hard!!!!

This lot aren't even worthy of watching that let alone wearing the shirt.

At the end"Sheffield belongs to Warnock" and some fuckers knock him?

Is it the one on 2.33 of this video?

That second goal in the Ipswich game is the hardest shot I've ever seen hit in person. I view it as a better goal than the one vs the Pigs, though less satisfying.

Imagine that, though - a midfielder who can tackle and pass and shoot. You look at our current CMs and you'd think it would be illegal to do more than one thing.

We did the same at The old Basball ground v Derby County for the 'Greasy Chip Buttie' video fanzine, we filmed the United supporters stood on the terrace in the corner of the ground - and we got some dirty looks From some unitedites, I think they thought we were the police :/ Sean Bean was in the crowed with some of his mates (take a look think it was volume 2?)
I went to that game and saw Sean Bean there. He sometimes looked rather embarrassed at the attention he was getting when fans came up to greet him. We won 3-2 I think.

so on my 5th birthday monty scored his first goal :eek: is it some sort of omen!

I think any of our players equalising in a play off semi final would show the same amount of passion.

That goal was to cancel out Nottm Forest's opening goal in the Play Off Semi Final 1st Leg.

Back
Top Bottom