All time football league table update

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Football history is great to review.
However, in modern football the chance of winning anything significant is greatly reduced for most clubs.
The Sky involvement has changed everything.

I remember the OP saying that his best ever season was in 1981-82 and that his best ever striker is the one who has never scored in the top division.

Yeah definitely.

I'm 39 and other than the early 90s, when I was still very young and not really into football, i've grown up with us being the better team.

My secondary school years they had it 95-00.
My time as an adult though has been United.

Unfortunately neither of us can use the term "successful".
True. Two bald men arguing over a comb as it were.

I'm 56 and first got into United 1973ish. I count three phases

73-26 Dec 79 United top dogs
26 Dec 79 to 2000 Wednesday top dogs (,even in one season we finished higher then them, 90-91, they got promoted and won a cup FFS)
2000 to date, United top dogs.

You can make a case that 20 April 2012 to 30 April 2017 (Evans going down to 100 points) Wednesday had a top dog phase, as we fannied around in D3 whilst they got to 2nd tier play offs, but I'm saying that's top short to count :)

There's only one important stat and that's there here and now, the 21st century. I wonder who blows who out of the water 23 years in?

OK I accept that the bar is low. ;)
Actually the only stats that matter are how many fans they took to QPR and then Wembley

This thread should be renamed 'Clutching at straws'.

If any pig starts talking about football and how good they are it's easier just to exit the conversation rather than trying to justify why it's not the case. I never get into a debate with them about it, it's pointless they don't listen and provide some ridiculous stat from a Grandad's knee conversation or summat about Rumbelow's/bigger stadium/false claims of massive attendances/Di Canio, Carbone being best players in the world ever etc.

It reminds me a bit of trying to engage with a certain poster on this forum............

Most League Titles = SWFC
Most FA Cups = SUFC
Most League Cups = SWFC
Most seasons in Top Flight = SWFC
Most Points in Top Flight = SWFC
European Campaigns = SWFC

Of course we're the better team and have been for around 5 years now and have edged it over the last 20 years. But if you're using an all time table of results, you need to look at all time success. They blow us away
Can’t be lost on you though that they had a 22 year head start on us and at a time when any team could win something.

If any pig starts talking about football and how good they are it's easier just to exit the conversation rather than trying to justify why it's not the case. I never get into a debate with them about it, it's pointless they don't listen and provide some ridiculous stat from a Grandad's knee conversation or summat about Rumbelow's/bigger stadium/false claims of massive attendances/Di Canio, Carbone being best players in the world ever etc.

It reminds me a bit of trying to engage with a certain poster on this forum............

Again Wednesday have a better record ,just in the top flight but as both clubs have spent half their existence in div2 ,3 and 1 in 4 why is including all the games we've played as a football league club clutching at straws. It's 23 long years since Wednesday entertained s top flight club so its more relevant to include their last quarter of a centuries results in any table.. I expect us to over take their top flight record within a few years as I can't see them ever challenging again unless some multi multi multi billionaire takes pity on them. It used to go in cycles football but wednesday have fell off their bike

Again Wednesday have a better record ,just in the top flight but as both clubs have spent half their existence in div2 ,3 and 1 in 4 why is including all the games we've played as a football league club clutching at straws. It's 23 long years since Wednesday entertained s top flight club so its more relevant to include their last quarter of a centuries results in any table.. I expect us to over take their top flight record within a few years as I can't see them ever challenging again unless some multi multi multi billionaire takes pity on them. It used to go in cycles football but wednesday have fell off their bike
Really not interested, it’s a playground discussion.

Why is that ?
Because teams with out financial backing these days operate in the lower divisions. Winning league titles over 100 years ago counts for Diddly squat. Like us blades winning 4 fa cups but none of us experienced it so its in the main irrelevant. As sky said its a whole new ball game
Ain't that the truth

Really not interested, it’s a playground discussion.
What results are playground stuff

Surely gathering points is the name of the game ..playing your peers at whatever level it may be

Some clubs will never reach the prem .some will never return there

We've shown we can still fight to return

Some others struggle

Since you asked.

Here's the all-time graph of finishing positions:

View attachment 170620

And since 2000

View attachment 170621

The ‘all time league tables’ are a bit meaningless but I find these graphs interesting. One of the things I love about the Sheffield football rivalry is that the two clubs in the city are so closely matched over their history, in both league position and support.

Is there another example in English football where city rivals are so closely matched?

What about outside England? Rangers/Celtic comes to mind, but my knowledge of clubs outside the UK isn’t great.

The fact that we’re 6th in the all-time table doesn’t surprise me.

The general trends regards the history of both Sheffield clubs is:

Sheff Utd
Have generally been a mid table side whilst in the top flight, apart from around 1900, never competing for the title.
Also when outside the top flight we have an incredible record, a massive 70% of the time we‘re involved in promotion challenges.
Much of the team we just miss out on our promotion challenges, probably explains our pessimism and negativity.
Also explains why when we’re in the Championship or league 1 we automatically expect to be involved at the upper end of the table.
The reason why we have high expectation is because promotion challenges are quite normal for our fanbase.

Sheff Wed
People call their fans arrogant but there is a historical reason for their arrogance.
Their record shows a clear 30 year cycle relating to the early 1900’s, early 1930’s, early 1960’s and early 1990’s.
In those spells they were easily one of the best teams in the country challenging for and winning honours.
So every generation of Sheff Wed fans throughout history fans have seen with their own eyes a great team seriously challenging for top honours.
The 30 year cycle shows that Sheff Wed were due to be a force again in the early 2020’s, but alas….that’s not happened….looks like the cycle has been broken.

However unlike Sheff Utd who consistently have top half finishes
Sheff Wed had had seasons of great success but they‘ve also had season of lower half finishes and struggles.
Weirdly whenever Sheff Utd are involved in a relegation battle they usually tend to be relegated.

Last edited:
I cant see if this table factors in 2points for a win and the 1981 change to 3pts, or latterly the likes of VaR changing goals. It would change the overall ppg result.

The reason why the Yorkshire teams dont win anything is any time we have good players we flog them to Lancashire/London. Historically our chairmen like lining their pockets and especially sticking one on the Lancastrians. Not worked out too well for the supporters though.:rolleyes:

That is the only time we’ve ever managed to achieve that.
Technically also 1993, when we could still have been relegated going into the last game,but it would have taken a huge GD turnaround. As it happened we bear Chelsea 4-2 and finished 14th.

Also, I believe in 1954 we lost 3-1 at home to Man Utd in our penultimate game which could have taken it to the last game, but other results went our way and we were safe before the last game (against Villa at home, we won 2-1)

The 2 clubs do seem to generally follow one another's fortunes over the decades looking at the top graph. It's like they're forever linked in a dance of hope, realisation and ultimate misery.
Nailed

why is that , you are what division your in
man city were in div 3 in 1999 are you implying their results there were of a lesser stature
it was games v their peers at that time

the same as the owls not winning a single prem point in a full season in the prem in the 21st century
but they needed points to get out of div 3 , were they worth any less than when they were in the prem ,,,no
Just like our only title?
we dont go on constantly about our history , do we go on and on and on about 4 fa cup wins ,,,,no because we never saw them
but owls fans wont shut the fuck up about stuff they won a 100 years ago WHY desperation

My daughter quite got into watching the recent World Athletics champs, so we had a 100m race.

I won (competitive dad...) I am therefore the world 100m champion! Get in!
Own up..........you tied her legs together and blindfolded her did'nt you.

Back
Top Bottom