Alan Shearer NO NO NO NO

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Why not indeed. He'd instantly command the respect of the players that's for sure.

Probably would cost a bob or two mind, but he must surely know the calibre of players we need to get us back to the premiership.

I'd rather we stay well clear of Shearer. I am 90% certain that in his time at Newcastle he won only ONE game (Boro at home and even that was a bit fortunate if I remember rightly). I watched them meakily lose to Aston Villa in London the day before we meakily lost to another team in claret and blue. I'm not saying he was the main reason they went down but he hardly helped the cause.

IF we are in a position where we need a new manager then we should be a bit cute about it and not go down the same run of the mill list which we did with Robson and probably Blackwell (although I don't want him out). Hopefully with the new Chief Exec that might happen. Going for Shearer would just baffle me and go against EVERYTHING which the club has harped on about since Robson went.

As somebody else wisely pointed out Shearer would walk at the first opportunity of new owners at Newcastle, we want a manager who is honoured to manage a club such as SUFC.

I also don't think Shearer would cope half as well as Warnock and to a lesser degree Blackwell and even Robson when our fans jump on his back after three poor results. Could be quite funny actually to see Big Al march into the car park after the game and nut a few of our fans....SHEARER IN!!!:thumbup:

It was hardly Shearer's fault that Newcastle got relegated. The writing was on the wall long before he stepped in.

I was under the impression Warnock had a decent kitty, but chose not to spend it. I think it's a safe bet that Robson or Shearer would not have spent 1.5m on a 'player for the future' (fathi), when what we needed was some instant quality.

Blackwell has never in his career worked with the quality of players shearer has. Given £10m to spend, Blackwell will spend it on ten players of average ability. I'd wager shearer might only get a couple of players, but they'd probably have the quality to make the difference.

I though Robson largely bought good players. His major failing is that he couldn't manage them.

Blackwell said he would do exactly the same thing (sign players who will make a difference) when he first joined us on a permanent basis. Reading between the lines I think McCabe had a word and said we can't afford to sign one or two players who make a difference.

Who knows, if Killa leaves we may end up with Hanson or Lawro at the back.

PS - Fathi cost 500K, Luton cost about 2 million!!!

Remember, this is a club now so skint it brings in Sheffield Eagles to groundshare. If we suddenly find enough money to pay what Shearer will be after (and I'm guessing Trevor Birch won't come cheap) it would suggest that a new source of funding/owners has been found.

Blackwell said he would do exactly the same thing (sign players who will make a difference) when he first joined us on a permanent basis. Reading between the lines I think McCabe had a word and said we can't afford to sign one or two players who make a difference.

Who knows, if Killa leaves we may end up with Hanson or Lawro at the back.

PS - Fathi cost 500K, Luton cost about 2 million!!!

But would Blackwell know what kind of players make a difference?

Please God NO! I do not want Alan Shearer managing the Blades, no more dour geordies in charge please McCabe.

The man has the personality of a plank of wood and no experience.

I think anybody wanting him is mistaking 'integrity' for 'character and personality'.

He would command respect from the players...then quickly lose it when they realise he hasn't the first clue about management.

I'm not all for Blackwell leaving, but if we are going to get someone to replace him it should be someone we have not had for a long time: Someone who understands the game, tactics and coaching, who can man-manage as well.

But would Blackwell know what kind of players make a difference?

Would Shearer? I wonder with his BBC duties just how much Championship and lower league football he is actually able to watch. I find it hard to believe we'd appoint Shearer, but if we did we would absolutely not be shopping from the same shops as we did when Robson was manager.

Remember, this is a club now so skint it brings in Sheffield Eagles to groundshare. If we suddenly find enough money to pay what Shearer will be after (and I'm guessing Trevor Birch won't come cheap) it would suggest that a new source of funding/owners has been found.

Seems that way. £3M to spend in January after it's been sell, sell , sell all year, hmmm.

As long as the money isn't just spent behind the scenes rather than where it matters.

Says the News of the World.

Not sure about him personally but it would certainly be interesting.

I suspect Mr.Birch is going to make his mark sooner rather than later!

If this is true then McCabe has lost the plot. Totally unproven manager who can attract big names quality players (but that is not enough remember Robson :( ).

If we have a prudent policy then give Blackwell a chance - we have been hard hit with loans and injuries he should get until the end of the season in my opinion.

If McCabe has had enough of Blackwell then surely Curbishley should be the choice - proven record of taking a club up on a budget and keeping them there.

We need a manager with charisma to attract players to me Shearer and Speed would be a dream team - provided they have cash which is birch's brief presumably. Stop it boo boys at least this rumour if its true shows some vision. Finally we never get a mention on the telly ( viz last nights League Show all about Posh) with Shearer we would and that can only raise our profile, having said all that I suspect its just paper talk

Do you think we would ever be referred to anywhere as anything other than "Alan Shearers' Sheffield United" if he got the job?

A 120 year old institution tagged onto the back of the name of a TV Pundit?

No ta.

If we have money to spare, give it to Blackwell.

Cotterill, Evans and Henderson. Surely that vanishing act with £7M is enough for you to think otherwise?

Has everyone just erased last season from memory?

No, but that "success" was based on having an incredibly tight defence and pinching points away from home. Given smaller resources and a poorer defence, we can now see the limits to Blackwell's ability. Your entire plan being based on not scroring falls to pieces when your defence is sh1te.

UTB

Do you think we would ever be referred to anywhere as anything other than "Alan Shearers' Sheffield United" if he got the job?

A 120 year old institution tagged onto the back of the name of a TV Pundit?

No ta.

To be fair I think most people remember Shearer as the greatest ever Premier League striker as opposed to that bloke off Match of the Day.

Id take Shearer. With an experienced number 2. Maybe Graham Taylor/Venables or someone of that ilk.

i'd rather have coco the clown than the fool we have in now.. one of the lads came up with this interesting summation of bootwell saturday..
right then quinny.. can you kick a ball 90 yards.. yes boss (lying).. you're in the team.. thanks boss
right then cotts.. can you kick the ball 90 yards.. no boss.. but i can dribble it around their entire team and make 90 yards whilst retaining posession..
sorry mate you're on the bench
shearer will make a great manager one day.. he has manager written all over him

While I'd be wary of him being another David Platt or Bryan Robson - I'd find it difficult to stop being very excited about such an appointment. Not least because it would signify that a lot of money would be soon to be pumped into the club...

It's a common myth that Warnock wasn't backed in the Premiership, I'm sure he was given close to £15 million in the season we were in the EPL.

Davis, Horsfield, Legsowood, Hulse, Killa, Stead, Shelton, Seck, Fathi, plus the signing on fees for all the "free's". Well over £15 Million.

Davis £2.5M
Horsfield £1.2M
Leigertwood £600K
Hulse £2.2M
Killa £1.75M
Stead £750K
Shelton £1.85M
Fathi £700K
Kazim-Richards £125K
Bennett Free
Seck Free
Sommeil Free
Nade Free
Total £11.68M.

Unless Bennett, Seck, Sommeil and Nade got a £1M signing on fee each, Warnock spent well under £15M on transfers. If you compare that with the expenditure of "smaller" clubs like Hull and Stoke, you'll find that even £15M isn't usually enough to keep a club in The Premiership. Yet we very nearly did it.

In addition, Warnock wasn't given the scope on the wage bill to attract proven players on Premiership wages like Beattie, Naysmith and Speed. Instead, he was forced to gamble on players from the lower leagues managing to make the step up. Some like Hulse, CKR and Stead did. Others (like Kilgallon) didn't but then no gambler wins all their bets.

As soon as Robson arrived, the wage bill was increased dramatically and Warnock's highest transfer fee was nearly doubled. There's no doubt in my mind that Warnock's team would have got the ONE extra goal we needed to stay up, if he'd only been given a Robson-style budget to work with.

Definitely not. Another Prima Donna. If this is a serious possibility Mr McCabe please re read all your correspondence from May 07 to Feb 08 and subsitiute the name Shearer for Robson. Then forget about him and sleep well.

Davis £2.5M
Horsfield £1.2M
Leigertwood £600K
Hulse £2.2M
Killa £1.75M
Stead £750K
Shelton £1.85M
Fathi £700K
Kazim-Richards £125K
Bennett Free
Seck Free
Sommeil Free
Nade Free
Total £11.68M.

Unless Bennett, Seck, Sommeil and Nade got a £1M signing on fee each, Warnock spent well under £15M on transfers. If you compare that with the expenditure of "smaller" clubs like Hull and Stoke, you'll find that even £15M isn't usually enough to keep a club in The Premiership. Yet we very nearly did it.

In addition, Warnock wasn't given the scope on the wage bill to attract proven players on Premiership wages like Beattie, Naysmith and Speed. Instead, he was forced to gamble on players from the lower leagues managing to make the step up. Some like Hulse, CKR and Stead did. Others (like Kilgallon) didn't but then no gambler wins all their bets.

As soon as Robson arrived, the wage bill was increased dramatically and Warnock's highest transfer fee was nearly doubled. There's no doubt in my mind that Warnock's team would have got the ONE extra goal we needed to stay up, if he'd only been given a Robson-style budget to work with.

I am confused why people on both sides of the argument are including Horsfield in this list. He was signed a few days after or before Akinbiyi in January 2006. He didn't even make the subs bench for us in the Premiership.

However, my main point is that, yes Warnock spent within the region of 10 - 12 million and yes that is considerably less than the likes of Stoke and Hull, however the season after we were relegated the TV money doubled or tripled so it's perhaps not surprising that Stoke etc were able to spend more than we did.

Also, interestingly, despite our 10mill+ outlay perhaps looking small/large it was considerably higher than Watford & Reading who were promoted with us. Watford finishing bottom and Reading finishing 7th!!!

I am confused why people on both sides of the argument are including Horsfield in this list. He was signed a few days after or before Akinbiyi in January 2006. He didn't even make the subs bench for us in the Premiership.

However, my main point is that, yes Warnock spent within the region of 10 - 12 million and yes that is considerably less than the likes of Stoke and Hull, however the season after we were relegated the TV money doubled or tripled so it's perhaps not surprising that Stoke etc were able to spend more than we did.

Also, interestingly, despite our 10mill+ outlay perhaps looking small/large it was considerably higher than Watford & Reading who were promoted with us. Watford finishing bottom and Reading finishing 7th!!!

I would agree that Horsfield shouldn't really be included in our "Premiership" spending but he's listed on Soccerbase as being a May 2006 signing. I think he came on loan initially with an unbreakable agreement that we'd buy him at the end of that season (nice work Turry!).

I accept your point about Reading but they had an exceptionally good team when they were promoted and were able to build on that without enormous further expense. Excellent management by Coppell, as it would have been by Warnock if he HAD kept us up. Watford isn't a good example for you because they may have spent less than us but unlike us, they never really looked like staying up. (Even though they were fancied above us in the pre-season betting lists)

If you look at the Premiership season 07/08 that you refer to, Derby and Birmingham both spent similar amounts to us (£10M) and both went down. (Derby with only 11 points!). Sunderland spent over £40M and JUST managed to stay up.

I would agree that Horsfield shouldn't really be included in our "Premiership" spending but he's listed on Soccerbase as being a May 2006 signing. I think he came on loan initially with an unbreakable agreement that we'd buy him at the end of that season (nice work Turry!).

I accept your point about Reading but they had an exceptionally good team when they were promoted and were able to build on that without enormous further expense. Excellent management by Coppell, as it would have been by Warnock if he HAD kept us up. Watford isn't a good example for you because they may have spent less than us but unlike us, they never really looked like staying up. (Even though they were fancied above us in the pre-season betting lists)

If you look at the Premiership season 07/08 that you refer to, Derby and Birmingham both spent similar amounts to us (£10M) and both went down. (Derby with only 11 points!). Sunderland spent over £40M and JUST managed to stay up.

The Horsfield transfer was a cock-up of Ebbrellesqe proportions. We signed him on loan in Feb 06 and there clearly was a deal that we buy him at the end of the season. Reading between the lines, it seems like we committed to this in Jan before we signed Akinbiyi and when it looked like Mr A wouldn't sign. When the great Ade did sign, Horsfield was surplus to requirements.

He played 2-3 games that season and at the end of the season we tried to argue that there wasn't a permament deal with WBA and that he would be going back there. WBA insisted that there was a deal, United went quiet and Hosrfield was with us for the next 2 years, albeit spending most of it on loan and (I think) playing only a couple of games in the League Cup in 07-08 and scoring one goal against the might of MK Dons.

We released him in the summer of 08 having played £1.2m and God knows how much in wages on a player who was less use to us than the proverbial chocolate teapot.

"That has hardened Shearer's resolve to return and he wants an ambitious club with Premier League aspirations."

Don't see what the problem is. Ruled us out half way down the article.

Now we might get him as part of the player re-profiling. Is he as old as Glen Little?

I'd be happy with Shearer, would rather have him spending money than Blackwell, least he might be able to attract players to us.

Keane started with no experience and look what he did with Sunderland.

I'd be happy with Shearer, would rather have him spending money than Blackwell, least he might be able to attract players to us.

Keane started with no experience and look what he did with Sunderland.[/
QUOTE]

And look what he's done to Ipswich...............................

I do remember Keane saying that he believed it would take a couple of seasons to achieve promotion and he didn't believe it would be an instant success like it was at Sunderland.

I was actually impressed with the some of the flowing football that Roy Keane's Ipswich played when they came to the Lane.

However, Keane's temperement and his perfectionist tendencies will always be his downfall as a manager. Add in the fact he is very confrontational and the moment he doesn't agree with something, he will walk (Saipan 2002 and when Ellis Short came to Sunderland).

Shearer is a more mellow character compared to Keane.

Davis £2.5M
Horsfield £1.2M
Leigertwood £600K
Hulse £2.2M
Killa £1.75M
Stead £750K
Shelton £1.85M
Fathi £700K
Kazim-Richards £125K
Bennett Free
Seck Free
Sommeil Free
Nade Free
Total £11.68M.

So he had about £13 Million, how much did Hull/Stoke spend in their first season?

Back
Top Bottom