Alan Shearer NO NO NO NO

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
According to the News of the World http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/611080/ALAN-SHEARER-IN-FRAME-FOR-BLADES-ROLE.html Shearer is set to take over, if Blackwell is sacked.

This has the look of Robson Mark II.

SHEARER IN FRAME FOR BLADES ROLE
Strike legend is favourite if Blackwell gets boot

By Martin Hardy, 21/11/2009
ALAN SHEARER is favourite to take over as Sheffield United boss if Kevin Blackwell is sacked.

The Bramall Lane chief is on the brink of losing his job after a dramatic slump that has left the club floundering way off the play-off spots.

Blades fans have turned on Blackwell in recent weeks despite yesterday's 1-0 win over bottom side Peterborough.

The United bosses are desperate for a return to the Premier League and Shearer has growing support.

They believe he would be the talisman to breath life into a campaign that is in serious danger of being blown out before December.

They would back him in the January transfer window.

For his part, Shearer is keen to return to management after his brief spell in charge at Newcastle last season.

Then Shearer was unable to keep the Toon up and waited all summer for the call to return to take over at St James' Park in a permanent position.

But owner Mike Ashley snubbed the 39-year-old and last month handed Chris Hughton the role on a permanent position until 2011.

That has hardened Shearer's resolve to return and he wants an ambitious club with Premier League aspirations.

"He's desperate to get back in," said a source close to the former England captain. "He waited for Newcastle and it didn't happen.

"Now he wants another club. He has the hunger and he is just waiting for the right club with the right ambition."

Sheffield United have given a signal of their intentions by appointing former Chelsea chief executive Trevor Birch and have ambitious off-field plans to rejuvenate the club.

Shearer still has his television work with the BBC but I understand corporation bosses have been told of his intentions and would not stand in his way.

Shearer!!

Says the News of the World.

Not sure about him personally but it would certainly be interesting.

I suspect Mr.Birch is going to make his mark sooner rather than later!

Chuff me - I could be a sodding journalist. All I have to do is sit in a pub, take part in a conversation and then think "Those soft sods will print this - big name, disharmony, new appointment - there's a story in this".

In what way is taking on Trevor Birch a signal of our intention to take on Alan sodding Shearer? It doesn't take Donal McIntyre to find out that we're all pissed off with Blackwell, but I haven't heard too many shouts of Shearer just yet.

Me neither but I would prefer him to Blackwell.

My problem would be that there are better managers not in work with more experience.
I think he may actually be a half decent manager but his isn't proven and you always know that he's looking to fuck off to Newcastle any chance he gets.

I'm guessing this is coming from a Speed/Shearer link?

On the main chat forum here.. http://www.sheff-utd.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=15937

But I suppose it is more a rumour.

For me (copied from the other thread) that there are better managers not in work with more experience.
I think he may actually be a half decent manager but his isn't proven and you always know that he's looking to fuck off to Newcastle any chance he gets.

I'm guessing this is coming from a Speed/Shearer link?

I do like him though and players would come to play for him.

Please god, have we not learnt our lessons from Robson.

If we have money to spare, give it to Blackwell. Has everyone just erased last season from memory?

shearer, might not be bad after all, well he be better then fatwell that be sure

Why not indeed. He'd instantly command the respect of the players that's for sure.

Probably would cost a bob or two mind, but he must surely know the calibre of players we need to get us back to the premiership.

Shearer similarities to Robson:

both relegated every team they'd managed

both ex England players getting managers jobs purely on their footballing ability rather than management ability

both demand a lot of money to spend (or as in Robsons case waste) as they aren't good enough to manage without it.

If we have money to spend, give it Blackwell. If we'd have given Warnock the money Robson had we'd have stayed up.

Surely we shouldn't make the same disastrous error again.

both ex England players getting managers jobs purely on their footballing ability rather than management ability

both demand a lot of money to spend (or as in Robsons case waste) as they aren't good enough to manage without it.

If we have money to spend, give it Blackwell. If we'd have given Warnock the money Robson had we'd have stayed up.

It was hardly Shearer's fault that Newcastle got relegated. The writing was on the wall long before he stepped in.

I was under the impression Warnock had a decent kitty, but chose not to spend it. I think it's a safe bet that Robson or Shearer would not have spent 1.5m on a 'player for the future' (fathi), when what we needed was some instant quality.

Blackwell has never in his career worked with the quality of players shearer has. Given £10m to spend, Blackwell will spend it on ten players of average ability. I'd wager shearer might only get a couple of players, but they'd probably have the quality to make the difference.

I though Robson largely bought good players. His major failing is that he couldn't manage them.

He took over an almost relegated team (in the relegation zone) and, yes, they were relegated. To say he's "relegated every team he's managed" might be factually true, but it's also unfair. He's managed one team, and they were as good as relegated before he got there.

Demanded a lot of money to spend? To the best of my knowledge he took over after the mid-season transfer window and left before the next transfer window. :confused:

Don't let facts get in the way of a rant though.

P.S. It's never going to happen. He's probably taking home millions from his various TV work.

P.P.S I wouldn't give Blackwell a penny to spend. He's proven time and again that he can't spend it wisely (Jamie Ward excepted)

How much did Shearer spend at Newcastle?

Oh and it's a common myth that Warnock wasn't backed in the Premiership, I'm sure he was given close to £15 million in the season we were in the EPL.

Davis, Horsfield, Legsowood, Hulse, Killa, Stead, Shelton, Seck, Fathi, plus the signing on fees for all the "free's"
Well over £15 Million.

Why not indeed. He'd instantly command the respect of the players that's for sure.

Probably would cost a bob or two mind, but he must surely know the calibre of players we need to get us back to the premiership.

yh that what i'm trying to say lol, fatwell is cheaper then chips lol

Robson never relegated us

He took over an almost relegated team (in the relegation zone) and, yes, they were relegated. To say he's "relegated every team he's managed" might be factually true, but it's also unfair. He's managed one team, and they were as good as relegated before he got there.

Demanded a lot of money to spend? To the best of my knowledge he took over after the mid-season transfer window and left before the next transfer window. :confused:

Don't let facts get in the way of a rant though.

P.S. It's never going to happen. He's probably taking home millions from his various TV work.

From a broadsheet paper in the summer......

Whoever takes over, Shearer would not come cheap. It is understood the would-be manager – who desperately wants the job, providing his conditions are met – has requested an annual salary in the region of £3m, plus a £20m transfer kitty, allied to total autonomy over player purchases and backroom appointments. Contentiously, Shearer would also like to see a "football man" of his choice appointed to the board.

Could be total bollocks.

Shearer may have asked for a mega budget to virtually guarantee promotion, so as to not harm his standing amongst the geordie faithfull.

The comparisons with Robson are totally off base though. Robson was weighed down with the weight of his previous failures. Shearer would not come with the same baggage.

How much did Shearer spend at Newcastle?

Oh and it's a common myth that Warnock wasn't backed in the Premiership, I'm sure he was given close to £15 million in the season we were in the EPL.

Davis, Horsfield, Legsowood, Hulse, Killa, Stead, Shelton, Seck, Fathi, plus the signing on fees for all the "free's"
Well over £15 Million.

Fuck when you look at that lot, no wonder we got relegated. Bloody miracle we didn't finish bottom.

two good signings, one ok, and the rest total shit.

From a broadsheet paper in the summer......

Could be total bollocks.

Shearer may have asked for a mega budget to virtually guarantee promotion, so as to not harm his standing amongst the geordie faithfull.

The comparisons with Robson are totally off base though. Robson was weighed down with the weight of his previous failures. Shearer would not come with the same baggage.

These were also his requirements to work in the current mad house that is Newcastle where he is held in God like status. He had a lot to lose going in at Newcastle this season with no money and what looked liked a group of players who all wanted to leave. There is no way that he would expect that kind of deal at United, not that I think this is anything more than pie in the sky.

Warnock pissed a good few million away while he was here in the PL.

shearer, might not be bad after all, well he be better then fatwell that be sure

Based on what assumption? Because he's Alan Shearer? Because you don't like Blackwell?

When he was manager of Newcastle he had eight games in charge, and they got five points from a possible twenty four. Admittedly Newcastle were indeed shite before Shearer rocked up, but you can't judge Shearer's managerial ability on those eight games. That might be as good as he gets, he might be the next Messiah, that might be his lowest points ratio. Based on your assumption that "he be better than fatwell that be sure" we could appoint anybody with a few games in a caretaker manager role. Or indeed the next bloke to walk into the car park.

Looks like a McCabe choice to me, a big name, would get loads of publicity and certainly push forward his global marketing of SUFC. The best man for the job, that's another story.

With money to spend In January, you'd think it would be sooner rather than later though.

The only thing shearer would do is put a few bums on seats for a couple of games until the novelty wears off. After that we'd be no better off than we are now, or the robson era. He's an ex-striker with hardly any managerial experience whatsoever. How can shearer the TV pundit talking about the glamour and glitz of the "CHELSEA'S and MAN U'S" get to grips with the championship?
If we have any money to spend give it to somebody with experience. If shearer is itching to get back into management, go somewhere else.
Lots of managers in and out of work I would want before shearer, hope we don't get somebody unproved again like A.heath if KB goes.

both demand a lot of money to spend (or as in Robsons case waste)

I think you're way off mark there! Robson spent big but bought quality! He just couldn't get them to play well.

Right waste of money that James Beattie!

The Shearer in before Xmas rumour was on a Barcodes fan forum in the past couple of weeks, havent got a link but remember seeing it. Maybe just lazy journalist getting rumours from fan websites??

Can't believe this for a minute. A club of our standing is going to appoint a manager with 8 games of managerial experience under his belt!!? If his TV form is anything to go by the team talks should be inspiring... "Morgs the lad got past you and he's kicked the ball and it's in the back of the net ... etc. etc. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

Can't believe this for a minute. A club of our standing is going to appoint a manager with 8 games of managerial experience under his belt!!?

Unlike, say, Nigel Spackman - 0 games. Or Steve Bruce - 0 games. I don't want Shearer, but just because he's not had many games is not reason enough. Everybody starts somewhere.

I think you're way off mark there! Robson spent big but bought quality! He just couldn't get them to play well.

Right waste of money that James Beattie!

I agree. McCabe was right to try to get Robson into a Director of Football position. He bought well for us but as everyone except Robson himself can see he needs someone else to deal with tactics and motivation.

Blackwell coming into the charisma-free zone that was BDTBL when Robson was here must've been like all their prayers answered but it seems now that the novelty has worn off and KB seems to have reached the limit of what he'll achieve here. I'd be happy for him to prove me wrong but I wouldn't cry if we got someone new in ready for January.

Shearer is unproven. That doesn't necessarily mean he'll be bad as some people seem to be assuming. He could be great. However, if the change were made I wouldn't mind seeing Darren Ferguson come in.

What I'd like best is for us to win every game for the rest of the season and so no change is necessary!

COYRAWW!!

Back
Top Bottom