Airbrushed from history

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Newbury Blade

Reaction score
I'm not coming on here to defend Ched Evans in any way but I see in the Guardian this morning the leading goalscorers in League One are listed as follows:

38 Rhodes (Huddersfield) 24 Beavon (Wycombe) 22 Wright=Phillips (Charlton) 22 etc etc etc.

We still get 88 in the goals for column so no one is pretending his goals weren't scored - just refusing to acknowledge who scored them. This is unbelievable.

I don't know if other papers have done this as well, but it is ridiculous - he still scored the goals. What does this achieve - is it an attempt to express disapproval? Well, we all disapprove of rape. Pretending Evans doesn't exist is not just childish but it's rewriting history, Soviet Union-style, and therefore potentially dangerous.

If Evans appeals, and wins his appeal, do his goals get reinstated?

As I work for the Guardian, I am about to email my colleague the sports editor to seek his views on this. I will pass on any reasons offered here.

FA going to take his goals away then as well?

Still happy to print and publish the amount of goals the Marlon Kings and Lee Hughes of this world have scored though.

Needs nipping in the bud, before long you'll have people screaming points deduction....

I would guess that Evans has been removed from the United squad list on the Guardian website, thereby removing him from the goalscorers' list. He's still on the BBC's chart.

Aye, it's probably because not an active player in the League now, rather than anything more sinister. You'd hope so, anyway.

Thats disgusting! Its like all the people banging on about feeling bad for cheering him all season.

He was an innocent man until around 15:00BST on friday, but regardless, his crime was non football related, its not like he scored and played fraudulently. He was allowed to go about his business until the court case closure.

Some people/ organisations need to have a look at themselves!

i say we petition the guardian to give cheds 35 to willo as he apparently cant be accredited with them, thus making willo by a long way the countries top scorer and definately golden boot winner :)
only fair the goals have to be accredited to someone, dont they?

MunXy

i say we petition the guardian to give cheds 35 to willo as he apparently cant be accredited with them, thus making willo by a long way the countries top scorer and definately golden boot winner :)

MunXy

Can't we give them to OG?

I'm not coming on here to defend Ched Evans in any way but I see in the Guardian this morning the leading goalscorers in League One are listed as follows:

38 Rhodes (Huddersfield) 24 Beavon (Wycombe) 22 Wright=Phillips (Charlton) 22 etc etc etc.

We still get 88 in the goals for column so no one is pretending his goals weren't scored - just refusing to acknowledge who scored them. This is unbelievable.

I don't know if other papers have done this as well, but it is ridiculous - he still scored the goals. What does this achieve - is it an attempt to express disapproval? Well, we all disapprove of rape. Pretending Evans doesn't exist is not just childish but it's rewriting history, Soviet Union-style, and therefore potentially dangerous.

If Evans appeals, and wins his appeal, do his goals get reinstated?

As I work for the Guardian, I am about to email my colleague the sports editor to seek his views on this. I will pass on any reasons offered here.

Just want to make it clear that by saying "I like this" I did not mean I liked the fact that Ched's goals have been expunged from the record; I like the fact that Newbury Blade has brought this to our attention.

MunXy

I say we give them to Monty o_O . Pinchy seems to be a different person these days, I don't buy this whole Plumber/Golf lark, he needs bringing back to reality and I feel this kind of thing would make him normal again.:cool:

OG has not scored many for us lately.

Surely due some goals soon.

Wendy fans already doing it Selly.

What a f**king suprise...bunch of classless f**kers..I f**king hate them all the more this season simply because they keep spawning points they don`t deserve...

The good news is that the Guardian sports editor agrees with me that this is, in his word, "bonkers".

The bad news is that the list used by the Guardian is drawn up by the Press Association, and sent to all newspapers (national and local), most of which use it – so Evans's goals will indeed be airbrushed from history so far as most papers are concerned.

Wendy fans already doing it Selly.

One piggy lad has been making comments on his/ my FaceBook about the „monster” that is Ched Evans. When I asked if he’d even looked at any reports on the case (other than the headlines) he mentioned that he hadn’t. At least he was honest, but just as calling the victim a slag and a tramp is abhorrent, so is referring to Ched as a monster without being aware of the facts.

I wonder if the same Piggys will be so noisy in the event that any of their players gets convicted of a crime?

Sure the man has been convicted of rape, a very serious crime, but sadly there is no distinction between claiming consent v lack of memory(through her own alcohol/substance abuse) and a predatory rapist that goes out with the intent of attacking and forcing sex. Sure the sentence will differ, but the label is the same. The worst thing for Ched is that he was famous before his conviction.

So the least that the Media could do is recognise his onfield achievements this year, keep the sensational stories for the rest of the paper, but offer a balanced reporting line within the sports sections.

Quite unbelievable.

I wonder if they'll discredit Mike Tyson's heavyweight titles whilst they're at it?

One piggy lad has been making comments on his/ my FaceBook about the „monster” that is Ched Evans. When I asked if he’d even looked at any reports on the case (other than the headlines) he mentioned that he hadn’t. At least he was honest, but just as calling the victim a slag and a tramp is abhorrent, so is referring to Ched as a monster without being aware of the facts.

I wonder if the same Piggys will be so noisy in the event that any of their players gets convicted of a crime?

Sure the man has been convicted of rape, a very serious crime, but sadly there is no distinction between claiming consent v lack of memory(through her own alcohol/substance abuse) and a predatory rapist that goes out with the intent of attacking and forcing sex. Sure the sentence will differ, but the label is the same. The worst thing for Ched is that he was famous before his conviction.

So the least that the Media could do is recognise his onfield achievements this year, keep the sensational stories for the rest of the paper, but offer a balanced reporting line within the sports sections.

Shouldn't be long from what I hear.

I suppose there is a parallel between the terms for killing someone, i.e. pre-meditated =murder, then there is the lesser offence of man slaughter, which implies fault but not intent, then there is death by misadventure.

In Rape cases there seems to be no disinction between violent and malicious sexual assault and this murky did she / didn't she have the capacity to consent. Rape is rape at whatever level.

Hence most uninformed people on twitter are making all kinds of assumptions that Ched commited the worst kind of attrocity to woman and are venting their spleen in the process. It's all a bit disproportionate but then the masses follow like sheep and don't want to know the facts once their opinion has been made up for them.

Is Ched a "rapist"? Not necessarily. Guilty of raping someone, yes. The term "rapist", to me, describes someone who did it in a premeditated manner and may do so again. Ched can hardly be described as a monster. I get upset when I see him branded by the tag "rapist" on facebook, twitter and the press. But then he has made his bed...

Give the goals to 'washing machine' and make him leading goal scorer, that's all there going to win this year.tw@@s

Back
Top Bottom