A new potential revenue stream? - the fanzone movement.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Overthehills

Give Quiche A Chance....
Reaction score
Now we have brought the McCabe land back into the club, does a new opportunity arise??.....Should we be looking to turn it into a temporary revenue stream until such a time that we plan to build on it?

It seems a good few clubs are looking to make money out of vacant strips of land around stadiums by creating fanzones, so should we follow the movement?

A family friendly pre game space? Games for the kids... food and another place to grab a beer. Middleborough even have a live stage on top for live music amongst other stuff.

1000035541.jpg

1000035540.jpg

The dog bothering scabs.

1000035543.jpg

Coventry's upmarket indoor offering..

1000035544.jpg
1000035546.jpg

Southampton's family friendly offering with bars...

1000035539.png
Even Crawley town are doing it...

1000035542.jpg
1000035547.jpg

Birmingham, Stoke, Norwich and Leeds with plans in the system for more formal fanzones....

Would this be a useful temporary use of the land? Surely additional revenue into the club and a fun family atmosphere for the future supporters of the club is never a bad thing?

Would you welcome it? Top of the carpark on the Kop / South corner of the ground is probably the most suitable place??

Could even piggy back on the back of it to somehow improve kop facilities at that end of the ground.

Last edited:

Notts County have one and it's brilliant.

Teams need to be able to gain more revenue from streaming games and charging teams a reasonable price to watch them, particularly away games. It's a huge revenue opportunity. I'd happily pay £10-15 to watch a match live online legally. Hell, I'd pay £20 as it's still cheaper than a ticket, particularly when we go as a family.

I wouldn't be against the club charging fans to watch away games at the Lane in a Fans Zone. £10-£15 entry for x number of fans, plus reasonably priced food and drink. It's an easy money maker.

So is sponsorship on social media. We all hate ads, but if you look at a lot of American sport teams, their social media posts and videos have sponsor logos in the corner and a quick "this video is brought to you by....." at the start. Another quick and easy extra revenue stream. Stick the link to the sponsor at the top of a post or the video bumf and job done.

Am I right that the club doesn't make money from the food and drinks inside the ground, other than a company paying us a fee to operate inside the ground?

Am I right that the club doesn't make money from the food and drinks inside the ground, other than a company paying us a fee to operate inside the ground?
I genuinely wouldn't know the answer. However a new deal was made recently with the compass group wasn't it and that is worth £35m over the next 10 years or something like that, therefore you would think the club takes a slice of sales surely?

I genuinely wouldn't know the answer. However a new deal was made recently with the compass group wasn't it and that is worth £35m over the next 10 years or something like that, therefore you would think the club takes a slice of sales surely?
If we do take a slice of sales then that's another revenue stream to improve as the service is awful. I went for a hot drink at half time and there were only 5 of us in the queue. At the end of half time only 3 had been served. It was beyond pathetic as the work shy lampshades behind the counter worked at snail pace. They could make so much more money if they kicked their idle arses. They must lose money at half time as they must pay them more than they manage to put in the till.

Once you take lower midweek crowds out it's only going to be used once every other week.

It's hardly a huge money maker is it?'

Something like this would require planning and foresight, so it won't happen.

Thing is a few of those teams with fan zones don’t have a city centre location . Most away fans that visit BDTBL love the fact there’s loads of boozers about . If a SUFC fan zones were manned by those arseholes who serve on the south stand bars it’s a no from me

Now we have brought the McCabe land back into the club, does a new opportunity arise??.....Should we be looking to turn it into a temporary revenue stream until such a time that we plan to build on it?

It seems a good few clubs are looking to make money out of vacant strips of land around stadiums by creating fanzones, so should we follow the movement?

A family friendly pre game space? Games for the kids... food and another place to grab a beer. Middleborough even have a live stage on top for live music amongst other stuff.

View attachment 182643

View attachment 182642

The dog bothering scabs.

View attachment 182644

View attachment 182645
View attachment 182646

View attachment 182641

View attachment 182647
View attachment 182648

Birmingham, Stoke, Norwich and Leeds with plans in the system for more formal fanzones....

Would this be a useful temporary use of the land? Surely additional revenue into the club and a fun family atmosphere for the future supporters of the club is never a bad thing?

Would you welcome it? Top of the carpark on the Kop / South corner of the ground is probably the most suitable place??

Could even piggy back on the back of it to somehow improve kop facilities at that end of the ground.
Even more students pouring cans of Heineken into paper cups at a snails pace. Think I will stick to London Road.

It's a ridiculously good idea and in 2024 not doing it is commercially negligent. Anyone who's studied the Tottenham business model will understand.

Why should the club make the owners of the Cremorne, Beer Engine etc rich. That's revenue that could/should come to the clubs pockets.

Open a fan zone, make it fun and engaging for all, under cut the local pubs on price and get as much footfall into the 'fan zone' as possible.

It's a ridiculously good idea and in 2024 not doing it is commercially negligent. Anyone who's studied the Tottenham business model will understand.

Why should the club make the owners of the Cremorne, Beer Engine etc rich. That's revenue that could/should come to the clubs pockets.

Open a fan zone, make it fun and engaging for all, under cut the local pubs on price and get as much footfall into the 'fan zone' as possible.

Yes, put some additional porta loos on for the coke heads as well.

Yes, put some additional porta loos on for the coke heads as well.
Not sure that 'clientele' would be that interested in attending... They're the type that would stay elsewhere and mock, whilst simultaneously wondering why the club can't kick on and evolve like others and clamber for a Bladey McBlade as manager and players that 'get the club'...

Not sure that 'clientele' would be that interested in attending... They're the type that would stay elsewhere and mock, whilst simultaneously wondering why the club can't kick on and evolve like others and clamber for a Bladey McBlade as manager and players that 'get the club'...

Having seen grown "men" share a cubicle at half time in a family stand last season anything is possible.

View attachment 182643

View attachment 182642

The dog bothering scabs.

View attachment 182644

View attachment 182645
View attachment 182646

View attachment 182641

View attachment 182647
View attachment 182648

Looks great. Let smaller independent companies do the beer and food. They know how to do it well.
Probably difficult as we've done a long catering contract, it'll probably not allow it.

As a local event & festival promoter, I've been talking to the club about running a fanzone for the last 18 months (on and off) but I've been told that the biggest stumbling block has been getting it past the SAG, which mainly comes down to not having had a suitable location for it.

Now this land has become available, I'm going to start chasing it up again, can't see any good reason why it can't work!

As a local event & festival promoter, I've been talking to the club about running a fanzone for the last 18 months (on and off) but I've been told that the biggest stumbling block has been getting it past the SAG, which mainly comes down to not having had a suitable location for it.

Now this land has become available, I'm going to start chasing it up again, can't see any good reason why it can't work!

Don't the Pigs have one?

I'm not sure local business owners are 'getting rich' off our backs.
I like the idea of the fanzone, but not this steamrollering local business theme.

Back
Top Bottom