A new potential revenue stream? - the fanzone movement.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1000035546-jpg.182646

Southampton's family friendly offering with bars...

Reminds me of a part of the old The Day Today skit 'Attitudes Night' šŸ˜†

I am sure South Yorkshire Police and SAG will get behind this all the wayā€¦.

šŸ™„

Iā€™m not a big fan of these fan zones.

Paying Ā£7 a pint to stand outside in the winter.

Iā€™d much rather pay a lot less and stand inside the Spoons on Eccy Road.
I'd rather pay Ā£17 a pint and stand in my own piss than stand in Wetherspoons, but that's why everyone is different.

They're popular in Germany and they get most things right with fan culture over there. In England one of the best I've seen is at Bristol City. But I do find they're mostly popular at grounds without many pubs around them. Bramall Lane is quite unique in that you have probably a dozen decent pubs within a 10 minute walk of the ground. Personally I would rather support one of those local businesses rather than being another revenue stream for a multimillion pound business. I think SUFC get enough of my money already - plus I like drinking decent beer at a decent price rather than the selection and prices they have at the Lane (and would inevitably have at any fan zone).

As the most reactive club going we will probably get one installed. Just need to finalise the Max Lowe send off then start thinking about considering safe standing first.

Bit of Sheffield mentality on this thread imo.

'I'm not interested so what's the point'

I doubt I'd go either, especially with my lad being 18 and now sitting with his mates in a different stand, but pretty sure it would be a winner for plenty of fans, especially families.

I doubt I'd go either, especially with my lad being 18 and now sitting with his mates in a different stand, but pretty sure it would be a winner for plenty of fans, especially families.
I know, I canā€™t actually believe the commentsā€¦. Itā€™s a great way of bringing the fans together before and after the game, the ones at City are fantastic.

As a local event & festival promoter, I've been talking to the club about running a fanzone for the last 18 months (on and off) but I've been told that the biggest stumbling block has been getting it past the SAG, which mainly comes down to not having had a suitable location for it.

Now this land has become available, I'm going to start chasing it up again, can't see any good reason why it can't work!
Seems like a really good idea. Hope you can get something going.

Yep, this. It's not something I would use (for reasons stated up thread re: pubs) but it certainly seems like it would have those that would be interested in it and a viable revenue stream, if as stated we now have ownership of land that would allow something to be tried then I see no logical reason why we wouldn't

I don't think it's "Sheffield mentality", it's just folk have different preferences.
Each to their own for me, if it interests people then why not try it, and for those not interested, we carry on as normal.

I don't think it's "Sheffield mentality", it's just folk have different preferences.
Each to their own for me, if it interests people then why not try it, and for those not interested, we carry on as normal.
In my experience, and I count friends and family in this, there is more moaning about new stuff opening in Sheffield by Sheffielders who won't use it, than outsiders.

The phrase I often hear is, 'what do we need that for'

I can moan about Sheffield with the best of them at times but I'm happy to acknowledge improvements and appreciate that whilst I might not like it or use it, others will.

I've already heard people moaning about the Cambridge Collective when it's clearly going to be popular with a lot of people.

In theory it's a great idea, I really like the idea of away games.

I also don't like the idea of taking business away from local businesses. So many pubs going out of business already, don't want us to lose any more.

In my experience, and I count friends and family in this, there is more moaning about new stuff opening in Sheffield by Sheffielders who won't use it, than outsiders.

I can moan about Sheffield with the best of them at times but I'm happy to acknowledge improvements and appreciate that whilst I might not like it or use it, others will.

I've already heard people moaning about the Cambridge Collective when it's clearly going to be popular with a lot of people.

Donā€™t know much about the CC as yet but what l have seen a lot of is ā€œhow muchā€.

Something like what accrington Stanley have with a big indoor clubhouse type area might work. A outdoor area with a bit of covering isn't really exciting

And I suppose that only happens in Sheffield does it...........

I'd be all for it, on the basis of:

1) it isn't done on the cheap, and doesn't look naff. Dear god the Pigs' one... šŸ˜†šŸ˜†šŸ˜†

2) You don't pay over the odds for a really rubbish food and drinks offering.

I think it we were to do it, we'd likely do it in a rush, to not be behind the times and it'd be a bit mediocre.

Would having one really affect the local businesses all that much?

If we were to have one I think it would only be big enough for a few hundred to a thousand fans tops, and the number would be somewhat less during winter I'd presume. We'd end up using either the Cherry/Shoreham Street corner or back of the Kop which aren't vast areas really.

A lot of stadiums that already have these fan zones have generally bigger areas for them, especially those that are only up to 25 years old lets say tend to have more space.

Donā€™t know much about the CC as yet but what l have seen a lot of is ā€œhow muchā€.
We went in on Saturday but only had a couple of drinks.

Prices in line with everywhere in town in my experience. The only thing I noticed food wise whilst looking round that seemed OTT was the pizza place (Michies?) that was knocking out thick slices of bread with cheese and tomato in a foil dish for Ā£7.

And I suppose that only happens in Sheffield does it...........
Doubt it.

Just my personal experience in generic terms of noticing people here more likely to moan about stuff not for them rather than just say it's not for me but I can see it will be for others.

Thing is a few of those teams with fan zones donā€™t have a city centre location . Most away fans that visit BDTBL love the fact thereā€™s loads of boozers about . If a SUFC fan zones were manned by those arseholes who serve on the south stand bars itā€™s a no from me
Exactly! The need for fanzones came about because more new out of town stadiums were being built. But, each to their own, if the people want a fanzoneā€¦so be it.

Doubt it.

Just my personal experience in generic terms of noticing people here more likely to moan about stuff not for them rather than just say it's not for me but I can see it will be for others.
Is it moaning or debating?ā€¦we are on a forum after all.

Other than the pizza place, itā€™s all pretty well priced. Even the pints arenā€™t too badly priced, by todayā€™s city centre standard.

Edit - Just seen Davalon post! Great mindsā€¦

This should happen, its a no brainer now we have got the land behind the Kop. As has been said, its extra revenue for the club and crates a space for those that want to use it, such as families, and could be more accessible for fans with disabilities, as alternatives to the rammed local pubs. The non-match day revenue opportunities are there too, such as away game beam backs, hire for private parties and events etc.

For me, it would need to be a well priced and quality product, which unfortunately it probably wont be, but we should be looking to work with different local independent street food vendors, put on some unsigned Sheffield bands, have local craft beers on, screen the early kick off, have games for kids etc.

Drinking pissy lager at Ā£7 a paper/plastic cup? Jeez, we'll be getting a teenager with a drum in a 'singing corner' next. Oh, and lovely, snug and warm from November to February.....

It depends on how its done SAG will want some form of capacity limits in place for starters. Although we rightfully do criticise/hold them to account they will have to have their say. Would you have it "first past the post" entrance or a fee paying pre-booked/ pre-booked but free for season ticket holders & members?

Next is the what we would want in there, food and drink stands would be good but there would a requirement to have enough. Do you have interactive games such as penalties etc for added fun/entertainment. Their would be a lot of planning for it but on the flip side you could also have your additional matchday costs in one location. Programme stall, merch, food and drink, as long as its not too many gimmicks it could work, you don't want a GCB food stall one beer tent and an ice cream truck, it needs to be properly thought out.

Back
Top Bottom