A brain transplant required.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Nagima

Reaction score
For me one of the biggest disappointments under Hecky and Wilder has been the insistence of playing 352. The strength of the formation was in the overlapping centre halves who created an overload with midfielders cutting inside etc. We looked organised. We also had 2 wing backs who while not great in the attacking department were decent defenders when needed.

The Brighton game highlighted not only that Bogle and Laurici are clueless defensively but also that neither are effective going forward.
The way we play 352 now is dependent on both players being capable of creating a threat going forward. That lies at the heart of our problems.

For the last two seasons we have been dependent on MGW and Ndiaye for creativity which compensated for the weaknesses in our wing backs. McAtee is the closest we have to a creative player but for me needs to be played centrally rather than down the right. Brighton exposed our wingbacks throughout the game. They were crossing at will. How a winger when stood up and practically staying still can then just move the ball and cross without the defender blocking the ball is depressing.

Despite the gulf in class between our squad and most other teams in PL we should be able to nick points here and there. We have no organisation and I don't believe Wilder can do what is required to make this team competitive.

Getting Holgate on loan just shows how wedded we are to 352. How any manager believes that we don't need wingers is idiotic. We need the option of playing wingers Brighton showed what good wingers can bring and how ineffective we are going forward. For all the money spent we haven't got a winger. That just shows that this team is going nowhere unless Wilder and recruitment team have brain transplants.

Any average winger loves playing against us no matter who seems to be playing fullback, especially our left hand side, it seems most weeks teams exploit it, as always seeing the problem is one thing sorting it is another

Despite the gulf in class between our squad and most other teams in PL we should be able to nick points here and there. We have no organisation and I don't believe Wilder can do what is required to make this team competitive.

We quite literally are getting points here and there.

Maybe it just seems like we aren't because they're sandwiched between batterings.

For me one of the biggest disappointments under Hecky and Wilder has been the insistence of playing 352. The strength of the formation was in the overlapping centre halves who created an overload with midfielders cutting inside etc. We looked organised. We also had 2 wing backs who while not great in the attacking department were decent defenders when needed.

The Brighton game highlighted not only that Bogle and Laurici are clueless defensively but also that neither are effective going forward.
The way we play 352 now is dependent on both players being capable of creating a threat going forward. That lies at the heart of our problems.

For the last two seasons we have been dependent on MGW and Ndiaye for creativity which compensated for the weaknesses in our wing backs. McAtee is the closest we have to a creative player but for me needs to be played centrally rather than down the right. Brighton exposed our wingbacks throughout the game. They were crossing at will. How a winger when stood up and practically staying still can then just move the ball and cross without the defender blocking the ball is depressing.

Getting Holgate on loan just shows how wedded we are to 352. How any manager believes that we don't need wingers is idiotic. We need the option of playing wingers Brighton showed what good wingers can bring and how ineffective we are going forward. For all the money spent we haven't got a winger. That just shows that this team is going nowhere unless Wilder and recruitment team have brain transplants.
We didn't play 3-5-2 against Brighton we had 10 minutes of 3-5-1-1, then after Holgate was sent off the back four was a shambles as the centre backs didn't adjust to Holgate not being there so Bogle had two men to deal with and didn't do either well, after we went 3-5-1-0 it was unremarkable but fine, until we took Larouci off and went back to being a shambles.

Since Wilder came back we've looked our best playing 4-3-3 and we brought in Brereton Diaz to play on the left, shame he's injured but to say we don't have wingers isn't true.

The biggest problem is most of our defenders can't defend.

All our full backs except Baldock are laughable as defenders. Anel isn't strong enough, he consistently let's his attacker get in front of him and resorts to shirt pulling to make up for his deficiencies. Trusty just can't read a game, he's consistently out of position and his confidence is shot. Robbo makes too many howlers and seems to collect own goals.

Until we have a defence who can actually defend it doesn't matter what formation we play.

The formation worked when we had competent players.

Stevens JOC Egan Bash Baldock knew what they were doing (with Henderson behind for good measure) - now we’re trying the same thing with fucking Larouci and Bogle at wing back

The funniest thing is we played well as a 4-3-3 with wide forwards in BBD and McAfee. Wilder even boasting that showed he wasn't a one trick pony.

But all window he was after another CB for the sole purpose of going back to 3-5-2.

So even when he goes away from it due to shortage of defenders, he is lusting for the moment he can go straight back to it.

A player like ohare at Coventry who reminds me so much of ille would be perfect for next season . How coventry keep finding these players baffles me .
Hamer was a world beater at Coventry. The step up finds them out.

Ohare is a different type of player .
He's mega gifted and Morgan Gibbs white is doing OK at forest.
We are down but let's rebuild with arblaster and a young pacey skillfull team . Get rid of old wood and bring in a different type of style.
I like the lad whittacker at Plymouth.

TBF to Bogle his driving shot in the first few minutes pulled a good save out of keeper. But him and Anel were both doing same job defensively after Agent Holgate was sent off leaving either Mitsuma or Laferty unmarked. That said, when Bogle was one-on-one with Mitsuma he just walked round Bogle like a cone.

We quite literally are getting points here and there.

Maybe it just seems like we aren't because they're sandwiched between batterings.
I would be more inclined to the view that Luton are nicking points and remaining in the hunt to stay up. We on the other hand have won and drawn a few but like Burnley are abysmal at this level. Maybe I should have phrased it better originally.

TBF to Bogle his driving shot in the first few minutes pulled a good save out of keeper. But him and Anel were both doing same job defensively after Agent Holgate was sent off leaving either Mitsuma or Laferty unmarked. That said, when Bogle was one-on-one with Mitsuma he just walked round Bogle like a cone.
I appreciate that he does on occasion get a shot off but in general play he is usually tippy tappy near the sideline, trying to create triangles in small spaces. Our first season up under Wilder we moved the ball much quicker.

While Bogle is not good defending against a winger, I think the bigger issue is he seems to have no awareness of what position he should be in when the ball is coming from the opposite wing. He gets caught out by players coming in at the back post.

We didn't play 3-5-2 against Brighton we had 10 minutes of 3-5-1-1, then after Holgate was sent off the back four was a shambles as the centre backs didn't adjust to Holgate not being there so Bogle had two men to deal with and didn't do either well, after we went 3-5-1-0 it was unremarkable but fine, until we took Larouci off and went back to being a shambles.

Since Wilder came back we've looked our best playing 4-3-3 and we brought in Brereton Diaz to play on the left, shame he's injured but to say we don't have wingers isn't true.
So playing Archer and McAtee on the wing means they are wingers?? BBD can play there but was bought to play more centrally like he played at Blackburn, to score goals.

352 or 3511 should be dead as far as I am concerned it is dated and we are porous. We originally were organised in how we played it now we are all over the place and our wingbacks can't defend which makes the problem even worse.

.433 4222 or 4231 or any other formation is fine. Yes we played better at 433 but we have not been set up to play that way in how we put the squad together which is limiting our options and ability to change tactics.

The biggest problem is most of our defenders can't defend.

All our full backs except Baldock are laughable as defenders. Anel isn't strong enough, he consistently let's his attacker get in front of him and resorts to shirt pulling to make up for his deficiencies. Trusty just can't read a game, he's consistently out of position and his confidence is shot. Robbo makes too many howlers and seems to collect own goals.

Until we have a defence who can actually defend it doesn't matter what formation we play.
Fair point regarding our ability to defend. I don't understand what our coaching staff have been doing to say that irrespective of individuals not being great there is zero organisation at the back.

Wilder seems quite proud of the fact he identified problems when he first arrived and has since sorted them out.
should someone tell him that football is all about scoring at one end and keeping them out at the other as we are not very good at that.

Headline grabbing title where you finally got the link in in your final two words😃

Only joking mate, good post

A player like ohare at Coventry who reminds me so much of ille would be perfect for next season . How coventry keep finding these players baffles me .
Baffles me as much that we can’t

We don’t have players for a 4 man defence.

Wilder set it up 6 years ago.

Hecky copied him and then signed players to Wilder system.

Now wilder is back he only has players for that system. First time round is 100% Wilders choice for 352. He started straight away with a back 4 multiple times this season.

You’ll only be able to see first game in championship.

We don’t have players for a 4 man defence.

Wilder set it up 6 years ago.

Hecky copied him and then signed players to Wilder system.

Now wilder is back he only has players for that system. First time round is 100% Wilders choice for 352. He started straight away with a back 4 multiple times this season.

You’ll only be able to see first game in championship.

I think the reason he started with a back 4 was down to injuries and who was availabie. Once Holgate arrived then it was back to the usual.

I get that we won't know until next season what formation we will use. The worry I have is that we don't have the players for 352 either. Our 3 starting CBs and who ever is on the bench are all at sea. Anel can't organise and Trusty and Holgate keep getting caught in no man's land.
The overlapping part of the game is not really happening. Our wing backs aren't good enough to play 352 either.

The turnover of players required to straighten things out is huge no matter what formation we play. I don't think Wilder is the person to lead that transition. 1. His track record on signings 2. His tendency to throw toys out of the pram when things go wrong.

I think the reason he started with a back 4 was down to injuries and who was availabie. Once Holgate arrived then it was back to the usual.

I get that we won't know until next season what formation we will use. The worry I have is that we don't have the players for 352 either. Our 3 starting CBs and who ever is on the bench are all at sea. Anel can't organise and Trusty and Holgate keep getting caught in no man's land.
The overlapping part of the game is not really happening. Our wing backs aren't good enough to play 352 either.

The turnover of players required to straighten things out is huge no matter what formation we play. I don't think Wilder is the person to lead that transition. 1. His track record on signings 2. His tendency to throw toys out of the pram when things go wrong.
To be fair we need like 11 new players so we can go with any system.

Let's just say the whole team isn't good enough. Remember when we go down we lose the only half decent players in the squad namely Berreton Diaz, McAtee, Archer and we will have to sell someone possibly Hamer or Baldock the rest are young kids or older players who are now shit / injury prone. Not looking good for a promotion push is it more likely to be at the other end of the championship and getting thrashed by our porcine neighbours. I can see us falling straight through the trap door to league one.

Let's just say the whole team isn't good enough. Remember when we go down we lose the only half decent players in the squad namely Berreton Diaz, McAtee, Archer and we will have to sell someone possibly Hamer or Baldock the rest are young kids or older players who are now shit / injury prone. Not looking good for a promotion push is it more likely to be at the other end of the championship and getting thrashed by our porcine neighbours. I can see us falling straight through the trap door to league one.
Baldock is out of contract so will likely leave for nothing.

Back
Top Bottom