70 years ago today

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

nice one broomhill that would be just before i was born wonder how many others on here were there that day weve got 40 50 60 and now 70 years ago on here now lol

I was 4 months old, so probably didn't attend🤔

8th September 1951
Sheffield United 7 Sheffield Wednesday 3

I was there - one of the few games from that period that I can actually remember!

My Mum (Unitedite) and Dad (Wednesdayite) both attended the game together, was Ted Burgin in the goal for United ?

Just read Silent's post, according to the report they went 1-0 up then we went 2-1 up.

Last edited:
Burgin-Furness-Cox-Hoyland-Latham-Shaw-Ringstead-FA Smith-Brook-Hagan(capt)-Hawksworth.

Last edited:
My late dad was at this game he was delayed getting in and Wednesday were already one up, after that he said it was all United, 7-3 flattered Wednesday he always said, a fairer reflection would have been about 12-3

My late dad was at this game he was delayed getting in and Wednesday were already one up, after that he said it was all United, 7-3 flattered Wednesday he always said, a fairer reflection would have been about 12-3
i also read a report somewhere that united could have had double figures that day

8th September 1951
Sheffield United 7 Sheffield Wednesday 3

I was there - one of the few games from that period that I can actually remember!
Now you’ve tickled our fancies, so tell us more of what you remember. And have a celebratory drink this evening!

Not Hoyland - it was Hitchen at wing-half.
Ah!!! Spotted my deliberate mistake, your middle name must be Hawkeye.
Bloody hell, wheels are well and truely off.
Lost a police box, now getting mi Harry mixed up with mi Tommy. Knacker yard next.
Ironic, really, Harry Hitchin was a player that took my eye as a lad. Moved around in a very upright, straight backed manor.
Thank you for the heads up. :)

eh!!! Spotted my deliberate mistake, your middle name must be Hawkeye.
Bloody hell, wheels are well and truely off.
Lost a police box, now getting mi Harry mixed up with mi Tommy. Knacker yard next.
Ironic, really, Harry Hitchin was a player that took my eye as a lad. Moved around in a very upright, straight backed manor.
Thank you for the heads up. :)
Harry Hitchin was an ex-marine and tough as teak. Never let us down thats for sure.

Now you’ve tickled our fancies, so tell us more of what you remember. And have a celebratory drink this evening!

I was just wondering if the club did a 70 year celebratory dinner and dance where only the most deluded cretins amongst our support received an invite

I'm happy to toast that 7-3 pasting of the pigs with a nice cold beer this evening.

I went to see us beat Northampton 7-3 in the division four championship season. My school teacher fumed that we should never concede three at home!

I bet there wasn't any 7-3's in the years between those two matches.

I was just wondering if the club did a 70 year celebratory dinner and dance where only the most deluded cretins amongst our support received an invite

I’ve tried very hard to understand your post and the motive behind making it but can’t come up with an answer for either .

Perhaps you would care to elaborate .

My DAD wasn't even born yet and wouldn't be for another decade and a half, fuck me some people on here are ancient!
Ye'd better believe it son.
P.S. manner not manor.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom