50 years ago today

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I very much doubt it was a Blades thing. On the 60 Years Ago thread I have been re-living the Everton away Cup game in Jan 1961. Attendance 48000; attendance previous game - over 70000. My memory, and the pictures of the game, suggest there wasn’t much room for another 20000+.
One incentive for clubs to understate attendances was the sharing of gate-money. From memory, 20% to the away team for league matches, 33% to each club for the Cup. Those figures could be wrong.

Probably wasn't just United

You know what they say "Every time money changes hands there's a fiddle going on"

But putting 18,000 instead of 40,000 is just pushing it a bit too far.

Funny really because the biggest fiddling club of them all used to declare 40,000 instead of 20,000

I can't for the life of me understand why the insecure morons would do this.

Plenty of Attendance fiddling at most grounds in those days. I was at Bramall Lane when we played wendy 3-2 1970-71.over 39k in the ground. the kop was packed.
In the magnificent game against Cardiff City when we won 5-1.was over 42k. the kop was not packed. I was a kid then and I could not understand why the official crowd was lower or higher than what I thought it was.

Plenty of Attendance fiddling at most grounds in those days. I was at Bramall Lane when we played wendy 3-2 1970-71.over 39k in the ground. the kop was packed.
In the magnificent game against Cardiff City when we won 5-1.was over 42k. the kop was not packed. I was a kid then and I could not understand why the official crowd was lower or higher than what I thought it was.
the kop was packed for the cardiff game we ended up watching the game in one of the aisles every aisle was full that night

You are correct ancient Blade. and Bert. however, I was near the white wall. has it curved towards John Street.no aisles there above the walkway between top and bottom of the kop. we entered by the stairs at the john street end of the kop.

You are correct ancient Blade. and Bert. however, I was near the white wall. has it curved towards John Street.no aisles there above the walkway between top and bottom of the kop. we entered by the stairs at the john street end of the kop.
in later
Third division match against Wednesday Easter Saturday 1980 (?)

The 'fiddling' attendance figures had bad publicity for Hodgy's testimonial.

The only 'loser' was Hodgy himself.
yeah was packed for that one another game was the last home game 82 against peterbro absolutely rammed that day and hodgy definetly lost out somebody nicked his money 🤔

It was rammed full.
Bert can't think of a bigger crowd in the last 50 years.
Maybe the Hull game?

I think the game against Man U the following season was higher. Plus the game against Wednesday in the old 3rd Division? Anyone got the figures to hand?

Dodgy Gatemen, nicking the money, people getting in for nowt, Directors under declaring the gate to get some cash and fiddling the taxman etc.
It all went on at all football clubs.
Used to work with a bloke who worked on the the turnstiles at both the Lane and Hillsborough, also umpired in the Sheffield League. Clearly liked his pocket money.

They didn't know which turnstile they would be operating until showing up on the day for this very reason , he always said if he saw me he'd let me in for nowt.

Happened upon him once ( lost 2-0 at home to West Ham in 1989 after having 23 corners). Saved me £3.

I think the game against Man U the following season was higher. Plus the game against Wednesday in the old 3rd Division? Anyone got the figures to hand?
Bert has just checked.

70/71
Hull 40,227
Cardiff 42,963

71/72
Leeds 40,725
Man U 45,045

Wednesday.42,526.

Therefore the Man U game was the biggest crowd Bert has ever been in at The Lane.
It was also on Bert's birthday.

Bert has just checked.

70/71
Hull 40,227
Cardiff 42,963

71/72
Leeds 40,725
Man U 45,045

Wednesday.42,526.

Therefore the Man U game was the biggest crowd Bert has ever been in at The Lane.
The Man U game was 2 days before my birthday, got treated to a new bobble hat and scarf from the souvenir shop on Shoreham Street beforehand.

As an aside , being born on the 6th April as opposed to a day earlier ( last day of tax year) meant Dad missed out on some sort of chunky tax rebate.

I think he forgave me, eventually :)

Bert has just checked.

70/71
Hull 40,227
Cardiff 42,963

71/72
Leeds 40,725
Man U 45,045

Wednesday.42,526.

I've seen on some websites that there were 45,156 for the Wednesday game in April 1980.

I think the game against Chelsea 1971/72 season exceeded 40,000. Maybe even the Spurs game same season.

wasnt there 60,000 for the quarter final with burnley was it 62 ?
A ‘mere’ 57000 according to the Clarebrough Centenary book. From memory (could be wrong) the Wednesday match was the only one where the temporary stand was erected on the cricket pitch to increase capacity.

A ‘mere’ 57000 according to the Clarebrough Centenary book. From memory (could be wrong) the Wednesday match was the only one where the temporary stand was erected on the cricket pitch to increase capacity.

HBT you will have seen both the 61 era and 71 era teams, question for you who was the best of the two teams?

I know the 71 lot are always put out there as the de facto entertaining United team, but wasn't the 61 lot more successful, promotion, 5th place finish in the top tier, and by rights should have played in Europe in the 62 Fairs Cup (they only didn't due to underhand tactics from the pigs), much better in the cups, FA Cup semi final, 2 or 3 quarter finals, couple of 5th rounds. I guess if you took the attacking flair of the 71 team and the defensive capabilities of the 61 team you'd have the perfect team!

I was too young to see either, but how would this look as a best of XI from both eras:-

Hodgkinson
Badger - Colquhoun - J Shaw - G Shaw
Woodward - Currie - Richardson - Salmons
Pace - Dearden

Bert has just checked.

70/71
Hull 40,227
Cardiff 42,963

71/72
Leeds 40,725
Man U 45,045

Wednesday.42,526.

Would that be April 4th, Bert?

That is a good X1, think my dad would find it hard to disagree although I think he preferred Summers to Richardson

I know that teams in 61 played a completely different formation from modern day teams, so would it be fair to class Summers and Richardson as midfield type players? Also, from what I've gathered Richardson was very much a defensive player, was that the same with Summers?

My other questions with the combined XI, could Pace and Dearden have formed a good partnership, or would Reece have been a better foil for one or the other? And Salmons over Scullion?

Back
Top Bottom