50 years ago today

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

9/1/1971

Blades 2 (Tudor, Currie or was it Colquhoun?) Portsmouth 0

We got our revenge on Pompey after they knocked us out of the FA Cup a week earlier.

Early in the game, John Tudor got us into the lead heading in a cross by Woodward

PompeyTudor.jpg

We were easily the better side throughout the match and Pompey's keeper John Milkins made a lot of good saves. Milkins looks like Dracula!

1610146965703.png
In the 2nd half TC fired a shot through a crowd of players before it got into the net for the second goal after the Pompey defenders failed to clear a Woody corner. The players ran to congratulate TC but Eddie Colquhoun kept pointing to his own chest claiming that he got the final touch and it was easy for the crowd to lipread him saying "It was me" two or three times.

I dont think anyone in the crowd were expecting that it would be Alan Hodgkinson's last 1st team home game or that it would be the last home game as a Blade player for John Tudor too. Not forgetting John Barnwell too although he would be a good pointless answer if Blades fans were asked to name the players in the 1970/71 promotion squad!

I only realised this week that our future secretary, Keith Walker, was the ref for the match.

PompeyLeonardheadline.jpg
PompeyLeonard1.jpg
PompeyLeonard2.jpg
PompeyLeonardratings.jpg

1610148376917.png

1610148423645.png
From the match programme

PompeySalmons.jpgPompeyXmas.jpg

Pompey Social club.jpg

9/1/1971

Blades 2 (Tudor, Currie or was it Colquhoun?) Portsmouth 0

We got our revenge on Pompey after they knocked us out of the FA Cup a week earlier.

Early in the game, John Tudor got us into the lead heading in a cross by Woodward

View attachment 102538

We were easily the better side throughout the match and Pompey's keeper John Milkins made a lot of good saves. Milkins looks like Dracula!

View attachment 102540
In the 2nd half TC fired a shot through a crowd of players before it got into the net for the second goal after the Pompey defenders failed to clear a Woody corner. The players ran to congratulate TC but Eddie Colquhoun kept pointing to his own chest claiming that he got the final touch and it was easy for the crowd to lipread him saying "It was me" two or three times.

I dont think anyone in the crowd were expecting that it would be Alan Hodgkinson's last 1st team home game or that it would be the last home game as a Blade player for John Tudor too. Not forgetting John Barnwell too although he would be a good pointless answer if Blades fans were asked to name the players in the 1970/71 promotion squad!

I only realised this week that our future secretary, Keith Walker, was the ref for the match.

View attachment 102543
View attachment 102544
View attachment 102545
View attachment 102546

View attachment 102547

View attachment 102548
From the match programme

View attachment 102549View attachment 102551

View attachment 102552
Cheers Silent. I love these posts. My first proper season watching the Blades.
Keep 'em coming, one of the few things we've got to look forward to at the moment. ;)

Great stuff as always.thanks, Silent Blade. I can,t remember if we beat Blackburn at the Lane 5-0. scored in the first min, and thunder and lighting.was it 70/71 or 69/70?

Great stuff as always.thanks, Silent Blade. I can,t remember if we beat Blackburn at the Lane 5-0. scored in the first min, and thunder and lighting.was it 70/71 or 69/70?
20/3/1971. 10 weeks time

I still remember clearly when my dad was picking me up from a children's xmas party organised by his work and he was telling me "United won 6-0". I wasnt really into football yet despite having been taken to the Lane a few times but I was impressed that the Blades had won 6-0. Birmingham City were the opponents.
I was at that match

The official attendance that day was 18,665.

All I can say is that our ground must have been a lot smaller than I thought it was, because (as the second photo shows) there weren't any obvious gaps in the crowd!
Three sided of course, but when it was cash on the turnstile there was always a bit of under counting going on.

Three sided of course, but when it was cash on the turnstile there was always a bit of under counting going on.

Like a true gentleman, charitable as ever Bert.

Three sided, but with an official capacity of around 55,000.

All I can say is I'm bu****ed if I can work out where the other 36,500 are going to stand/sit!😊

Bramall Lane was massive when the cricket side was open. the crowd could stretch towards both sides of the pavilion in those days. however, Bert is correct.
With his comments. Sir Bert and Silent Blade are always correct.

Bramall Lane was massive when the cricket side was open. the crowd could stretch towards both sides of the pavilion in those days. however, Bert is correct.
With his comments. Sir Bert and Silent Blade are always correct.

Dodgy Gatemen, nicking the money, people getting in for nowt, Directors under declaring the gate to get some cash and fiddling the taxman etc.
It all went on at all football clubs.

Like a true gentleman, charitable as ever Bert.

Three sided, but with an official capacity of around 55,000.

All I can say is I'm bu****ed if I can work out where the other 36,500 are going to stand/sit!😊

I think the attendance fiddling was more rife at Bramall Lane than anywhere else

I look at some old photos and the fans are packed in like sardines on all sides, and the official attendance is a joke

I think it was probably the clubs fault, they probably employed pigs on the turnstiles.

The fiddling wasn't done for financial gain, it was done to make them appear bigger and United to appear smaller, we know how they thrive on this sort of stuff.

It probably suited our own boardroom as well because they could act like a small club and sell anybody that wanted to earn more than threpence ha'penny a week.

I think the attendance fiddling was more rife at Bramall Lane than anywhere else

I look at some old photos and the fans are packed in like sardines on all sides, and the official attendance is a joke

I think it was probably the clubs fault, they probably employed pigs on the turnstiles.

The fiddling wasn't done for financial gain, it was done to make them appear bigger and United to appear smaller, we know how they thrive on this sort of stuff.

It probably suited our own boardroom as well because they could act like a small club and sell anybody that wanted to earn more than threpence ha'penny a week.
I heard they got a job counting American election results.😀

was at that game behind the goal where woody scored from the corner later that year
The Woody goal direct from the corner was in Sept 1971 (I was there too). My first away match was two seasons before, Leicester 2 (Glover,Fern) Blades 1 (Reece)

I very much doubt it was a Blades thing. On the 60 Years Ago thread I have been re-living the Everton away Cup game in Jan 1961. Attendance 48000; attendance previous game - over 70000. My memory, and the pictures of the game, suggest there wasn’t much room for another 20000+.
One incentive for clubs to understate attendances was the sharing of gate-money. From memory, 20% to the away team for league matches, 33% to each club for the Cup. Those figures could be wrong.

was at that game behind the goal where woody scored from the corner later that year
So was Bert, also on the Popside at Derby.
You has to be tough in those days at away grounds

In seventies, the players got a bonus if the crowd was over 40k so there were probably a few just under 🙄

Back
Top Bottom