'Memries' 18th birthday of Battle of Bramall Lane

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Ullathorne and Tracey played the following Tuesday against Milwall I believe, the suspension rules were different then, you got A weeks grace so Tracey wasn’t suspended until the weekend after when Wilko played. Ullathorne it was decided that his injury was only a “slight strain“. Ahem....

Ullathorne had an Anderton-esque “Sicknote” nickname at Leicester City – he was constantly injured. It’s why we were able to pick him up in the first place. Ullathorne becoming injured in that game was perhaps one of the easiest to legitimately explain.

I think as mentioned it was the spell JPJ and Jagielka had some games together – it was a few weeks later that we saw their combined midfield dominance in the Gazza ‘testimonial’ against Burnley. By the time of the WBA game I think Suffo had become a bit-part player anyway following Pesch’s arrival.

To me Megson has always exemplified your typical pig.

I just couldn’t imagine someone like him being a Blade and if I ever met him and didn’t know him from Adam, I reckon I’d know straight away he was a pig.

It’s just something about them you can’t quite put your finger on but it’s there. No joking but I can usually tell whether pig or Blade within ten seconds of meeting someone.

Didnt he interview for the job before we got Warnock? Sure I read that in NW's book or somewhere.

Megson's comments afterwards and in many interviews after shows just what a complete and utter cunt he was and still is !

Didnt he interview for the job before we got Warnock? Sure I read that in NW's book or somewhere.

He did. Megson’s version of events is he drove up to the ground, thought better of it and drove off again.

Predictably enough that differs significantly from what Warnock said.

Bit of a random one, but feels like we all missed this when it aired – referee Eddie Wolstenholme spoke in March on a podcast about the game. One bit stood out for me:

Keith Curle could also have been sent off for appearing to land a punch on McInnes, and Wolstenholme admits he definitely should have sent off Michael Brown for a second booking, but by this point he was desperate just to get to 90 minutes.

“The decisions I made weren’t even difficult, they were straightforward,” he says. “The most difficult ones were not cautioning Michael Brown for a second yellow, and cautioning Keith Curle when I could have sent him off. I thought, ‘I want to get this game finished’.

After all the years wondering about the player motivations at that stage of the game, I’ve come to the conclusion that the challenges after all the initial chaos were less the likes of Curle & Brown deliberately trying to get set off, but instead acting with a sense that whatever they did next was unlikely to result in a suddenly-red-card-reluctant ref. For Curle in particular it must have been an absolute dream come true. Like that stage in classic computer football games where after a certain number of red cards you could just scythe down any player with just a free kick awarded.

Seem to remember Wolstenholme being a bit of a bargain basement Graham Poll. His post match comments made it sound like he’d just come back from the Somme.

Despite the fact that there hasn’t really been anything like it before or since I was, and still am, amazed at the pearl clutching in the immediate aftermath, particularly from some of our supporters (people throwing their season tickets on to the pitch etc) and McCabe who sacked Warnock after the final whistle before Uncle Neil talked his way back over the weekend.

The Santos and Johnson thing was always going to spill over. Warnock got pelters for involving him but Megson never got any grief for playing Johnson.

Come on AM, put a proper photo up, this ones too good looking against the real thing. Get one up of the ugly bastard, we can take it remember the Gap.
Here you are Will s ginger owl do

Attachments

• 36B04D82-F99F-4AF5-8E40-6CE9E0C00F0D.jpeg
    36B04D82-F99F-4AF5-8E40-6CE9E0C00F0D.jpeg
    228.9 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom