17th By Next Monday

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

BladeByChoice

Reaction score
Before you all call me a twat, Brighton who the press are spunking over have only picked up 2 points and haven’t won in the last 5, they also play Ajax midweek.

If we can keep the second half line up from Saturday fit I fancy us for a point at least.

Having said that, if Burnley lose by 2 we are off the bottom on Saturday night (Burnley are getting fuck all from Arsenal), but the important this is, everyone else plays Saturday so we know what we need to do going into the game on Sunday. Great player motivation.

I think Luton might spoil it by getting a point at Manchester, but we could be 17th or =17th going into the break with Bournemouth at home the next game.

Keep the faith UTB.

wOrSt pReMiEr lEaGuE tEaM eVeR!... level on points with Vincent Kompany's, Burnley - nobody talks about that though.

wOrSt pReMiEr lEaGuE tEaM eVeR!... on -21GD versus -19 of Burnley. Despite 13 of those goals coming in just 2 games. Burnley get comfortably beaten weekly - nobody talks about that though

Burnley have conceded 3+ goals on 5 occasions.
Bournemouth have conceded 3+ goals on 5 occasions.
United have conceded 3+ goals on 3 occasions.

But nobody talks about that!

It's unusual just how bad the bottom 4 are this season. I think it will be a record season in terms of staying up with a low points total. In a lot of seasons we'd be dead and buried already, but the win on saturday has given us a tiny shred of hope, given how few points the teams directly above us have managed to accrue.

Brighton are still a good side, but you're right, if they get a hard game v Ajax then now is the time to play them. Our win must surely have given the lads a huge boost, so getting something out of the game is on. UTB.
Ajax won't be as hard as you think.

22points off league leaders PSV after 11 games.
They were bottom last week, but 2 straight wins has put them up to 11th

If we can grab a draw down there though, we'll be out of the bottom 3 when we beat Bournemouth.

Next 2 fixtures...

Burnley
Arsenal (a)
West Ham (h)

Bournemouth
Newcastle (h)
United (a)

Luton
Man Utd (a)
Palace (h)

Yeah Ajax are struggling badly but hopefully the Thursday/Sunday issue takes a toll on Brighton who are not exactly on their best run.

Still a very good side and way above Wolves level.

wOrSt pReMiEr lEaGuE tEaM eVeR!... level on points with Vincent Kompany's, Burnley - nobody talks about that though.

wOrSt pReMiEr lEaGuE tEaM eVeR!... on -21GD versus -19 of Burnley. Despite 13 of those goals coming in just 2 games. Burnley get comfortably beaten weekly - nobody talks about that though

That’s cheering me up

Let's not get too carried away. After we drew with Everton some fans on here got carried away saying we'd beat Spurs and Newcastle and that went wrong quick.

Enjoy the win but try to stay level headed. It was a good result but we're far from there yet. The second half was good but first half was awful.

It's a good feeling to see Sheffield United playing well again (albeit the second half), and winning a match again. But that's one in eleven. Let's take one game at a time.

Winning at home is one thing, winning away is a totally different challenge.

It's unusual just how bad the bottom 4 are this season. I think it will be a record season in terms of staying up with a low points total. In a lot of seasons we'd be dead and buried already, but the win on saturday has given us a tiny shred of hope, given how few points the teams directly above us have managed to accrue.
Is it the bottom 4 or the bottom half?

Survival will depend how we get on against the bottom 9 really not just the bottom 4 (or 5 if you include Everton) due to their impending points deduction). Any points against the top 11 are bonus points really but us losing to Arsenal and Luton drawing with Liverpool will not make that much difference at the end of the season. Actually, Liverpool's draw yesterday was the first time any of the top six have dropped points against any of the bottom 5 in 13 matches so far.

Think what I am trying to say is if you put a league table together featuring the bottom 9 clubs games against each other, the table would look like this:

1699276041063.png

The bottom line is there are 4 shit teams in this league. One will stay up. There's no reason to think United don't have as good a chance as the other 3
And I reckon it'll be the one who is prepared to scrap to the death who will do it.

Luton look pretty scrappy but not sure burnley or Bournemouth have it in them.

It is interesting that grounds often need to be seen as intimidating for away teams but at the City Ground the most important change for us has been the feeling that the crowd can lift their team even at shit moments. How is BL for that at the moment?

If the team are going to suffer on the pitch in games (they will), the fans really do have a part to play.

Honestly, Luton look better than us at the moment, however, I’m pinning my hopes on us having some sort of ‘awakening’ in the second half.

I really don’t fancy us at Brighton, but if “IF” we can beat Bournemouth and Burnley we are back in the fight.

Honestly, Luton look better than us at the moment, however, I’m pinning my hopes on us having some sort of ‘awakening’ in the second half.

Agreed, I would put Luton above us to snatch 17th at the moment, but not because they are better than us, because they are harder to beat.

In 20/21 we ended up with 7 wins while Fulham and West Brom got 5 each, but we got 2 draws with Fulham on 13 and West Brom 11.

I honestly think the wins will even themselves out by the end of the season and the team who can shut up shop and protect a point in the last 15 minutes will get 17th.

We all know our record on that this season and how Luton can turn Kenilworth into a fortress of nil-nil frustrating tedium.

Bournemouth and Burnley don’t have the stomach for a grind, so we better crack on while we have motivation and a decent fit starting 11.

Let's not get too carried away. After we drew with Everton some fans on here got carried away saying we'd beat Spurs and Newcastle and that went wrong quick.

Enjoy the win but try to stay level headed. It was a good result but we're far from there yet. The second half was good but first half was awful.

It's a good feeling to see Sheffield United playing well again (albeit the second half), and winning a match again. But that's one in eleven. Let's take one game at a time.

Winning at home is one thing, winning away is a totally different challenge.
Why dont you do that ?
in another thread ?

We aren't getting anything at Brighton but a heavy beating.
Some folk are getting carried away with one half of football where the other team didn't fancy it.
Brighton's season can be neatly split into two around their first foray into Europe.

1699280963412.png

The fixtures have played a part in that: of the sides currently above them in the table they only faced Newcastle in their opening 5 but since the Europa League started they've faced City, Liverpool and Villa and their only win has come against Bournemouth. They've drawn their last four; they'll be strong favourites against us but we could well get at least a point.

Their EL game against Ajax is also crucial to their hopes of progressing from that group and with Ajax turning a corner they'll have to put a fair amount in on Thursday if they're going to get anything. I'm glad we're facing them off the back of a tough European game.

Hi Stegosaurus here

I think we will pick something up against Brighton. They are a good team, but they are inconsistent and drop bollocks occasionally.

Brighton's season can be neatly split into two around their first foray into Europe.

View attachment 174199

The fixtures have played a part in that: of the sides currently above them in the table they only faced Newcastle in their opening 5 but since the Europa League started they've faced City, Liverpool and Villa and their only win has come against Bournemouth. They've drawn their last four; they'll be strong favourites against us but we could well get at least a point.

Their EL game against Ajax is also crucial to their hopes of progressing from that group and with Ajax turning a corner they'll have to put a fair amount in on Thursday if they're going to get anything. I'm glad we're facing them off the back of a tough European game.
45 minutes of decent football suddenly means 'we could well get at least a point' away at Brighton?
Expect Hecky's already written it off and will just be praying for no more injuries for the post-break matches.

Lovely thread but we're getting fuck all out of Brighton and will still be lucky to finish the season with more than 11 points. That's the real target.

Not saying we will get anything but Brighton are in poor form, they’ve got 3 points from their last five.

They’ve not won in the league since being dicked by Villa.

Last five games they’ve conceded 12. We’ve conceded 13. We’ve scored 4, they’ve scored 6.

We’re both on 3 points from 15 last 5.

Stranger things have happened.

It's football. Anything can happen. Luton were a few minutes away from beating Liverpool. We were the same from winning at Spurs who are early pacesetters so I won't rule anything out but it's hardly going to be easy!

Before you all call me a twat, Brighton who the press are spunking over have only picked up 2 points and haven’t won in the last 5, they also play Ajax midweek.

If we can keep the second half line up from Saturday fit I fancy us for a point at least.

Having said that, if Burnley lose by 2 we are off the bottom on Saturday night (Burnley are getting fuck all from Arsenal), but the important this is, everyone else plays Saturday so we know what we need to do going into the game on Sunday. Great player motivation.

I think Luton might spoil it by getting a point at Manchester, but we could be 17th or =17th going into the break with Bournemouth at home the next game.

Keep the faith UTB.
Happy Birthday for next Monday.
UTB

Presume people are talking about us being the worst Premier League ever based on number of league points accrued over 10 games? I’m assuming that’s the case.

or 5 if you include Everton) due to their impending points deduction).
Everton won`t get a points deduction - they are one of the PL old boys (like WHU).

If it were us or Luton, no question, the worst Everton will get is a slap on the wrist and maybe a suspended points deduction

That Derby side must have been absolutely shite to only get 11 points!!

Its actually possible that one of use stays up on a sub 30 point total.

Bournemouth and Luton are currently averaging 0.54 PPG. To get them both to 30 points they will have to increase that to 0.88 PPG. That's a big increase.

Of course what this does is amplify the impact of even a single win. Had we squeaked a win against Spurs (as we would it seems every week since that week given the amount of injury time that is now being added) we'd be 17th

As I said on a different thread - this is the joint lowest points tally (6) for 17th place after 11 games in the PL since football was invented in 1992. So yes a very good season to be shite!

Presume people are talking about us being the worst Premier League ever based on number of league points accrued over 10 games? I’m assuming that’s the case.
Of course that's the statistics.

But pundits have written us off totally and I don't hear them saying similar about Burnley.

MOTD pundits "Can't expect to stay up conceding at the rate they are" - that's true. But Burnley and Bournemouth have only conceded 3 goals less than us. Nobody has written them off like they have us.

Of the 3 promoted clubs, Burnley are deemed the one with enough quality to pull away - based on what exactly?

Burnley have lost all 6 of their home games:

Man City (3-0)
Villa (3-1)
Spurs (5-2)
Man Utd (1-0)
Chelsea (4-1)
Palace (2-0)

That's honking. But the media aren't questioning it because Kompany is in charge. Has the same feel as Lampard, Gerrard and Rooney - media darlings

Back
Top Bottom