11 years ago..will this ever happen?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

That could work it we got dispensation to significantly reduced the away allocation while it was built and put them in either the Kop or
Westfield corner. Not sure if that’s allowed though.
Give the away fans the pukka corner, I think clubs can reduce away allocations if there is a segregation issue and we have also reduced the capacity

Out of interest, what does the Kop hold? 7-8,000?

And is there any way that it could be done similar to how Liverpool did there new stand, build the back side of the stand, cantilever and concourse and then do the actual stand demolition and rebuild in the summer and early part of the season?

I think we would look to do a similar thing with the south stand wouldn't we?

Give the away fans the pukka corner, I think clubs can reduce away allocations if there is a segregation issue and we have also reduced the capacity

And is there any way that it could be done similar to how Liverpool did there new stand, build the back side of the stand, cantilever and concourse and then do the actual stand demolition and rebuild in the summer and early part of the season?

I thought that was the plan but I’m sure there’s others on here who’d know better. If they can pre build first then that’s a huge bonus.
The kop holds about 10k but because of the pillars there are a decent number of restricted view seats not sold so I think there’s about 9.5k to move and there must be a solution to that. The 2017 South stand plans would increase that by 7.5k so with the away reduction that would do it. Alternatively, could the South Stand extension be slightly more to compensate?
It would seem most certainly possible.

Personally, I've never thought these plans fit for purpose, especially relative to the cop. (We probably have to remove the slag heap underneath it to make it what it can be; these plans (a poor man's approach, leave the slag heap there; thereby limiting facilities improvement potential and leaving the rake too shallow for much expansion).

In my view, we have higher priorities than a stadium renovation: i.e.,

1. Stay up (happily, well under way).
2. Acquire the football essential real estate (Bramall Lane, Shirecliffe).
3. Get established in the Premier League (can't be done in one season).
3a. Acquire and develop a PL quality training ground (50+ acres vice current 17 acres), essential to keeping and attracting top talent.
3b. Adjust to the PL wage structure.
3c. Get established in the PL ... or did I already say that.

Bramall Lane will get the further attention it deserves; but in my opinion let's: (A) Put first things first; and then (B) Do a proper job of it.

It's the officially acknowledged heart of the city. It will be worth it to do it right.
3cd8248b08ff024a735215f5dd04e515~3.jpg

About
These 'let's get settled in the league first' and 'we need to stabilise first'
sentiments, I share them.

You make a great point, but I do not think there is any reason to suppose folks at the top are not thinking and planning over the horizon with specific benchmarks in mind relative to stabilisation and other prerequisites to undertaking significant changes at Bramall Lane.

Personally, I've never thought these plans fit for purpose, especially relative to the cop. (We probably have to remove the slag heap underneath it to make it what it can be; these plans (a poor man's approach, leave the slag heap there; thereby limiting facilities improvement potential and leaving the rake too shallow for much expansion).

3a. Acquire and develop a PL quality training ground (50+ acres vice current 17 acres), essential to keeping and attracting top talent.

Bramall Lane will get the further attention it deserves; but in my opinion let's: (A) Put first things first; and then (B) Do a proper job of it.

It's the officially acknowledged heart of the city. It will be worth it to do it right.
View attachment 68452
Fully agree with the priority being to establish ourselves, however the concern is that there are a lot of younger fans who aren’t going to be able to come and see us live. If they get used to just watching us on TV like all the other PL teams, why not support Man City or Liverpool? Is there a risk that preventing new fans attending games also stops us maintaining and growing our fanbase when we’re in a very strong position?

View attachment 68452

Errrr, kop. Bloody Americans ...

Fully agree with the priority being to establish ourselves, however the concern is that there are a lot of younger fans who aren’t going to be able to come and see us live. If they get used to just watching us on TV like all the other PL teams, why not support Man City or Liverpool? Is there a risk preventing new fans attending games stops us maintaining and growing our fanbase when we’re in a very strong position?

Yes, it is a risk. Not sure there is much we can do about it.

Have to say though, I think playing 'proper football the Sheff United way' is getting us lots of new fans worldwide.

Allez Allez Allez.

Looks great in a sense, but to be honest I'm not really fond of lopsided grounds like St James' Park. Our Kop needs replacing with a better rake, bogs, refreshment facilities and a few thousand more seats (so we can have a more flexible ticket policy) providing we establish ourselves long term, in the Premier League,. As far as I'm concerned that is all we should be looking to do, but I wouldn't be in any hurry. However I believe that to increase corporate revenue, the South Stand development is a more attractive proposal for the club.
I agree the cop needs to be higher for a bigger slope better view etc

(B) Do a proper job of it.

I’m all for sorting out the Kop, and have been wanting us to do something when the opportunity arose, but would definitely rather us wait and do it properly than do a cheap job that will be outdated as soon as it opens. The government (and opposition) have just been elected with commitments to change the law to remove restrictions preventing safe standing, so in a year or two’s time this will hopefully also be resolved (with a good idea of what’s working well) and we can do a proper job of it. I’m sure we couldn’t afford a Spurs Kop, but I’d love to to us have something that has its basic components:
  • No pillars
  • Single tier with good rake
  • Safe standing ready
  • Facilities under the stadium
Do that, extending the capacity as a result, and to be honest I don’t think any of the rest of the ground really needs more done to it searing-wise. And I’d accept capacity of 25k for part of a season if it meant we didn’t have a weird looking ground with an extra tier on the South Stand raising the then lob sided ground to a capacity we are nowhere near reaching.

Let us not forget the elephant in the room here, which is that match day ticket prices are too high, and the club’s ticket selling policy with regard to requiring loyalty points has been shown to be restrictive.

My mate always goes down to the ticket office to collect the away tickets etc and was telling me last night that every time he has been in, someone has been getting turned away or is being told over the phone that unfortunately they cannot purchase.

Whatever we long standing fans might think of ‘tourists’, there are plenty of floating supporters in the city who would take in a game every now and then. Add to that a lot of our fans who cannot afford to pay £38/40 to come to the Lane all the time, and this is a contributory factor to our failure to have a full house every home game.

There does seem to be an awful lot of wasted space that could be used to build a bigger kop for proportionately not a lot more money . With a bit of imagination I reckon you could put also put a second tier on John St.

And I’m fine with that- short term, spend the money on keeping us there playing staff wise and upgrading the academy/training facilities (heard very positive stuff on that the other week from a good source).
Sounds interesting, please tell..

Yes, it is a risk. Not sure there is much we can do about it.

Have to say though, I think playing 'proper football the Sheff United way' is getting us lots of new fans worldwide.

Allez Allez Allez.
I just believe that going to the match is an entirely different experience to sitting at home and watching. It’s certainly less convenient to attend, but once you get that habit and experience the atmosphere, it’s something entirely different.
You know as well as anyone how it gets under your skin, but would the club have had the same effect on you if you’d only ever seen us on TV?
I’m fully aware that my opinions on this are “for the birds” but it would be good to build on our position and claim the next generation of Sheffield fans for our own as it deepens those foundations that I’ve mentioned on other threads.

Hopefully we will never see this happen while the South stand looks impressive the kop end of the ground would be a disaster if done like in the picture. It was done on the "cheap" when we installed seats which was only ever meant to see a stop gap. The kop needs rebuilding from the bottom up not another "cheap" solution that will not stand the test of time.
First job has to be the South stand, add an extra tier and corporate boxes which we are very short of the kop can wait. If we do anything with the kop bulldoze the lot and do it right. I'm so glad McCabe and his cheap fixes are history, Student accommodation in the corner of the kop, Jesus you couldn't make it up except McCabe did thank heavens he is gone.

Let us not forget the elephant in the room here, which is that match day ticket prices are too high, and the club’s ticket selling policy with regard to requiring loyalty points has been shown to be restrictive.

My mate always goes down to the ticket office to collect the away tickets etc and was telling me last night that every time he has been in, someone has been getting turned away or is being told over the phone that unfortunately they cannot purchase.

Whatever we long standing fans might think of ‘tourists’, there are plenty of floating supporters in the city who would take in a game every now and then. Add to that a lot of our fans who cannot afford to pay £38/40 to come to the Lane all the time, and this is a contributory factor to our failure to have a full house every home game.

There are many valid criticisms of McCabe's reign at SUFC. What can't be denied is that the attendances grew enormously the last time that we went into the premier league. These crowds buttressed our support during the dark days. The reasons: increasing the capacity and facilities on some stands; keeping ticket prices reasonable; enjoying a higher level of football (particularly the triple assault and premier league seasons). These increases went hand in hand with a liberal, affordable ticket policy.

Sounds interesting, please tell..

I’m not claiming to be “ITK” by the way; I know sod all about signings, team selection etc. But over Christmas I was told a few bits by someone I trust who is privy to some info on certain off-field matters. And no; sadly its nothing about removing pillars off the Kop.

Cant go into specifics as don't want to get anybody in any bother or put anything out there that shouldn't be (and I was only told so much). But some very interesting stuff about the academy, training facilities and the Shirecliffe complex. All positive, by the way.

Some good stuff regarding the women’s side as well, in the sense of a genuine, long term support and commitment for that side of things.

All in all, if what I was told is right, it will put to bed some fears people may still have about Prince Abdullahs intentions. Nothing is confirmed of course, and again, the ownership appeal may come to into play, BUT; the bits I was told back up what he said on the SSN interview and at the fan forum when he won the case, regarding investing in and improving infrastrucure- eg not in it for a fast buck.

What I would say, is that as we all know, Chris Wilder has been very open and vocal about wanting improvements to facilities. His signing of a new contract also suggests he’s happy with whats going on behind the scenes and seems to back up what I was told.

I just believe that going to the match is an entirely different experience to sitting at home and watching. It’s certainly less convenient to attend, but once you get that habit and experience the atmosphere, it’s something entirely different.
You know as well as anyone how it gets under your skin, but would the club have had the same effect on you if you’d only ever seen us on TV?
I’m fully aware that my opinions on this are “for the birds” but it would be good to build on our position and claim the next generation of Sheffield fans for our own as it deepens those foundations that I’ve mentioned on other threads.

The irony is that the crowds we enjoy now are a result of 2002/3 and our last season in the premier league and the policies you outline. When the sun is shining you build the roof.

Looks great in a sense, but to be honest I'm not really fond of lopsided grounds like St James' Park. Our Kop needs replacing with a better rake, bogs, refreshment facilities and a few thousand more seats (so we can have a more flexible ticket policy) providing we establish ourselves long term, in the Premier League,. As far as I'm concerned that is all we should be looking to do, but I wouldn't be in any hurry. However I believe that to increase corporate revenue, the South Stand development is a more attractive proposal for the club.
I don’t particularly want to see a bigger ground......Just a better one.
Now we’re in the Prem it brings the antiquated state of at least 25% BDTBL into much sharper focus.

I was discussing this today, my mate and I found ourselves at Anfield quite a few times in the 1970’s. all the stands have been rebuilt since then but neither of us could remember the stadium being closed at any time.

This is what we found;

http://stadiumdb.com/constructions/eng/anfield

anfield122.jpg
anfield133.jpg

Something like this is doable for the South Stand and the cop.

Seeing that again makes me think, I couldn't give a shit if bin Laden's father builds it, get em over here!

I was discussing this today, my mate and I found ourselves at Anfield quite a few times in the 1970’s. all the stands have been rebuilt since then but neither of us could remember the stadium being closed at any time.

This is what we found;

http://stadiumdb.com/constructions/eng/anfield

View attachment 68461
View attachment 68462

Something like this is doable for the South Stand and the cop.
Aslong as we don't have to have those awful support pillars dotted round the ground, atleast clad them up or summat, even big posters of players on them is better than seeing them naked!

Aslong as we don't have to have those awful support pillars dotted round the ground, atleast clad them up or summat, even big posters of players on them is better than seeing them naked!
Or we could do both, and cover them with posters of naked women.

Glad we're having this discussion again. See you all again in another couple of months.

Atlanta knocked down their “Kop” day after season ended, played the first 4 games (I believe) away at the start of this season then reopened it.. adding 3000 seats to the capacity.. the noise from it now is incredible

Lets be sensible about this and look at it from the point of view of the club wanting to generate extra income as soon as possible from any improvements.

Lets start with the kop, the current capacity is 10,221 with around 196 seats on each row.

Remove the seats from the back 10 rows (VV upwards) and extend back another 20 rows, making the rake steeper for the back 30 rows, make these 30 rows safe standing to increase capacity to 300 per row.

So with the current back 10 rows holding around 1960 and the extended capacity holding 9000 that’s an extra capacity of around 7040, At 400 quid ish for an ST that’s 2,816,000 extra income.

Bung a cantilever roof on top to get rid of the posts and a covered concourse under the new extension, and you have a business model that the club can live with.

Give us 3 years in the Prem then look at the South stand again.
I’m in agreement as the Kop is the last remaining old stand. That said, and a point raised previously, is that the south will be the corporate/media bit. Our media centre, currently behind me, is hilariously constructed with ply wood and red felt.

Think we've only sold out one game this season. Some of that will be down to the quality of parts of the ground, some the difficultly getting tickets but mostly probably due to ticket prices.
Unless that changes little point in increasing capacity though the argument remains for improving the quality of the ground, particularly the kop which is becoming more and more of an antique.

I think it's wrong to say that it's better to be at capacity than to have a capacity above what we need. We should never deliberately aim to shut fans out. There should be enough capacity to allow a "floating" element, those who don't have season tickets and won't come to every match. That means some games won't sell out, but we won't capture fans for life if new fans struggle to get tickets and when they do they are shoved in a corner with a poor view.
I also think it's wrong to say that you first have to sell out - for some time - before you increase capacity. Capacity itself helps to draw the fans in, provided there's a sensible ticketing policy to go with it. And we should definitely not plan for the capacity we will need for mid-table Championship - if that's our mentality, then we don't deserve any better.

Back
Top Bottom