100 years without a trophy

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Not true, League Cup final is around February, so Feb 2025 would be slightly less than 100 years!
Sorry Brian but maths not your strongest suit. We won it on April 25th 1925 which means we needed to win it this year to be 100 years. By your calculation it would be 101 years.

Another depressing stat: Since our last cup final in 1936, only four clubs in the top two divisions have failed to reach a cup final (either FA Cup or League Cup). They are Bournemouth, Brentford, Bristol City and Plymouth Argyle.
We are I think the only club not to win at Wembley in 100 years too.

Problem is now what we’ve got is what we’ll always have. Same goes for about 88 other clubs. The top six clubs have virtually made winning a trophy a closed shop.

Sorry Brian but maths not your strongest suit. We won it on April 25th 1925 which means we needed to win it this year to be 100 years. By your calculation it would be 101 years.
Are you hard of thinking? Or just pissed?

The 100th anniversary of April 25th 1925 will be April 25th 2025, therefore winning the League Cup in February 2025 (however unlikely!) would mean it'd be slightly less than 100 years without a trophy. I was born in October 1975 so by your logic I'll be celebrating my 101st birthday in October 2075?

Also I have an A Level in maths.

Are you hard of thinking? Or just pissed?

The 100th anniversary of April 25th 1925 will be April 25th 2025, therefore winning the League Cup in February 2025 (however unlikely!) would mean it'd be slightly less than 100 years without a trophy. I was born in October 1975 so by your logic I'll be celebrating my 101st birthday in October 2075?

Also I have an A Level in maths.

Fuck me, this is getting 100+ pages complicated now…

Today's defeat means that we'll now go 100 years without a trophy (1925 FA Cup win against Cardiff the last time). I'm still hopeful that we'll win something in my lifetime UTB!
1953-54 Div.1- Photo 52-53 Div.2 Champions..jpg1981-82 4th Division Trophy.jpg
These may not be good enough for you but both were won over a season of endeavors.
Untangle your under keks 'Soft Lad' and jog on down to Sheffield six, two division one championships, an FAC Win and League Cup win with a couple of div 2 wins early 1950's since1924.
It's the place for you.
Being serious though, we all hope for trophies but supporting a club is more than that.
My example is I missed two whole seasons, work and being abroad the reason. At 21 I finally got to a game and standing there on the Terrace I looked around and and the nearest feeling to describe it was like putting an old top coat on after not using it for six or seven months, warm and comfortable. In a footballing sense I was at home.

…yeah, and we still get a 30k average attendance…We just love the mediocrity.

I can't believe people are ruling out the chance of us winning the Premier League this season! It's still mathematically possible.

Plus just under 90 years without winning a major Semi Final, 21 March 1936. Nobody can call Blades fans glory hunters. Loyalists fans of all the big city clubs.

The problem is these days vs say 15-20 years ago most Premier League teams would have a quality 1st team and for the cup when playing a team lower in the division they might be able to drop 3 or 4 and scrape a win. In 2005 Arsenal still put out a strong side that beat us on penalties AET in the replay. Now the top 6 can put out 2 strong sides if they so wish or at least 1 and 1/2 competing on multiple fronts. Taking Liverpool as an example they made 5 changes from the Wednesday night semi-final League cup game to the weekend game in the FA Cup vs Norwich. The depth is so great they can do it at ease and they are one of at least 5 (Liverpool, Man City, Man United, Chelsea and Arsenal) clubs that can rotate half their squad and still get a result.

Fucking hell .. Chesterfield used to win 4th division nearly every other year its not something we should brag about seeing the the size of our club in fact it's a fucking ebarrasment!!
exactly

We are I think the only club not to win at Wembley in 100 years too.
I've had a really exciting Monday at work. I think out of the current 92, these are the only teams not to win at Wembley since we last did in 1925:

Bournemouth
Brighton
Middlesbrough
Burton
Shrewsbury
Accrington
Crawley
Sutton
Walsall

I've had a really exciting Monday at work. I think out of the current 92, these are the only teams not to win at Wembley since we last did in 1925:

Bournemouth
Brighton
Middlesbrough
Burton
Shrewsbury
Accrington
Crawley
Sutton
Walsall
Three of those haven’t been in the league for more than a few seasons, which makes it even worse.

If we want to win at Wembley, our best bet is a double relegation (and plenty on here are predicting that anyway, we just need to down our game a bit) and then give the Football League Trophy a good go, something we never did when we spent six seasons in L1 not so long back.

Three of those haven’t been in the league for more than a few seasons, which makes it even worse.

If we want to win at Wembley, our best bet is a double relegation (and plenty on here are predicting that anyway, we just need to down our game a bit) and then give the Football League Trophy a good go, something we never did when we spent six seasons in L1 not so long back.
Only problem with that plan is that the big clubs stick their U21s in it now, so we might struggle! :)

Bournemouth
Brighton
Middlesbrough
Burton
Shrewsbury
Accrington
Crawley
Sutton
Walsall
Fuck Wembley, I just want to see us win some proper silverware again…The Championship champions trophy next season would be a start…Sympathy trophies for second don’t count! Whenever we’ve been promoted, we always seem to do it as runner up. It’s so annoying that there’s always one better team than us… Let’s win the bastard for a change.

Bournemouth
Brighton
Middlesbrough
Burton
Shrewsbury
Accrington
Crawley
Sutton
Walsall
A depressing list.

Boro won the League Cup in 2004, albeit at the Millennium Stadium. Plus they've had time in Europe, as have Brighton now. So that at least eases the Wembley curse.

So that's putting us on a par with Bournemouth, who have had more years in the top flight than us in the past 20 years.

Back
Top Bottom