“we need to match the opposition for effort…..

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1danewhitehouse

Reaction score
And earn the right to play, then our quality should see us through”

I’ve heard this type of line out of players and staff alike over the last couple of years at our club. In reality, the only time we had the quality for that to be the case was our first season down here. Since then, we’ve had quality about on par with most of the top ten bar the odd team like Bristol, Wolves etc. who we’ve been some way behind.

I find it extremely disappointing that we are setting out to match the opposition for effort. Generally, you will get to a little lower than where you aim. The opposition won’t be coming to the lane wanting to match our effort. They will be coming to see if they can outfight and out work us. That should be our aim in every game too.

Statistically, Spurs are the hardest working team in the Prem. Does anyone thing they go to teams like Sunderland, Norwich, Newcastle etc. looking to match their effort? I think they go with the intention of overrunning them.

It’s a real issue foe me and part of why we continually fail. The spell after we went 2-0 down and quickly got into the game again shows what we’re capable of when we play with some urgency. The problem is, we seem to think that if we keep the opposition quiet and knock the ball about keeping possession, something will happen for us because we are Sheffield United and therefore automatically better.

Someone made a post on another thread about great players not getting their shirts dirty. I think part of our problem is that too many of our players think they are great players when in reality, they are half decent players on the days they decide to put a shift in. They all need to dirty their shirts.

I’ve heard this type of line out of players and staff alike over the last couple of years at our club. In reality, the only time we had the quality for that to be the case was our first season down here. Since then, we’ve had quality about on par with most of the top ten bar the odd team like Bristol, Wolves etc. who we’ve been some way behind.

I find it extremely disappointing that we are setting out to match the opposition for effort. Generally, you will get to a little lower than where you aim. The opposition won’t be coming to the lane wanting to match our effort. They will be coming to see if they can outfight and out work us. That should be our aim in every game too.

Statistically, Spurs are the hardest working team in the Prem. Does anyone thing they go to teams like Sunderland, Norwich, Newcastle etc. looking to match their effort? I think they go with the intention of overrunning them.

It’s a real issue foe me and part of why we continually fail. The spell after we went 2-0 down and quickly got into the game again shows what we’re capable of when we play with some urgency. The problem is, we seem to think that if we keep the opposition quiet and knock the ball about keeping possession, something will happen for us because we are Sheffield United and therefore automatically better.

Someone made a post on another thread about great players not getting their shirts dirty. I think part of our problem is that too many of our players think they are great players when in reality, they are half decent players on the days they decide to put a shift in. They all need to dirty their shirts.

You are correct - people should go and listen to Sam Allardyce post match interview after the MAckams beat Palarse the other day.

Stresses the importance of working when you haven't got the ball.

What I would also like to add - 1st half is where young Reed came out of midfield, chased down their CH and forced him to play it back to the Shrews keeper. Reed then chased down the keeper forcing him to kick. Reed got specific applause from the crowd for doing that. Well done to Reed, doesn't take much and the crowd got behind him.

We just need to see a lot, lot more.

UTB

Last edited:
No matter who we play they never seem to have any fear or trepidation. And probably hardly any respect for our players professionalism.

It makes you think most opposition managers know exactly how to deal with our tactics for the majority of the game. Adkins, as much as any player, needs to get his finger out.

A lot of our players think playing at this level is beneath them and therefore think that they don't need to put the effort in.

“Teams are coming to make it their cup final. But it’s got to be our cup final, too. We have to be not just matching them, but out-fighting them as well.”

The above quote is a recent one from John Brayford. Finally, a player who gets it. If only we could have more like him. I hope his high standards rub off on one or two others on the pitch from now on.

The lack of energy, motivation & getting-up-for-the-fight has been incredibly noticeable this season. It should be a bare minimum.

Hopefully, now that Brayford's back, him & Hammond can start inspiring it.

It's being unable to match oposition teams ability that's the real worry at the moment.

I want us to outplay every team
I want us to out-battle every team
I want us to come off the pitch covered in sweat
I want us to out run every team
I want us to outsmart every team
I want each player to win their individual battles
I want our manager to out-think the opposition manger
I want us to have better fitness, better stamina, have better footballing brains, pass better, be more clinical, win every header and every tackle.

If you don;t go into every game expecting and aiming for the above, I don't want you near my football club.

“Teams are coming to make it their cup final. But it’s got to be our cup final, too. We have to be not just matching them, but out-fighting them as well.”

The above quote is a recent one from John Brayford. Finally, a player who gets it. If only we could have more like him. I hope his high standards rub off on one or two others on the pitch from now on.

I wonder if he's saying that now?

just been giving likes on a few posts above before noticing they were from Nov last year. It's like time has stood still.

Is that what it boils down to then? "Outfighting" the opposition?

I learned something a long time ago when I was pretty handy at "outfighting" folk. I learned that there will always be someone bigger and stronger- no matter how good you may think you are. "Outfighting" the opposition isn't good enough I'm afraid. It takes more than that, much more. The same is especially true in football.

It takes intelligence, common sense, ability, skill, commitment, spirit, determination, a clear plan of where you want to go and how you will get there. An honest appraisal of what is stopping you from being successful and what additional things would help. Then it comes down to setting priorities. Which bits are most important to tackle now and which can wait a bit longer - this is really important when you are attempting a big turn around on very little money and time.

We won't win anything by having "Outfighting" the opposition as a strategy. Look at little Rochdale (and Bolton) they bullied us off the park! We need more than that.

We need players with skill and speed too.

We've got some, but not enough yet!

Didn't wilder say in his tubthumping pre season forum speeches that 'effort' would be a bare minimum?

I wonder if he's saying that now?

It’s all gone so wrong with him hasn’t it? Talisman who loved his loan spell so much he was prepared to take a big wage cut and drop a league to come back. 2 years, 2 managers and an ACL injury later it’s all turned so bleak.

I learned something a long time ago when I was pretty handy at "outfighting" folk. I learned that there will always be someone bigger and stronger- no matter how good you may think you are. "Outfighting" the opposition isn't good enough I'm afraid. It takes more than that, much more. The same is especially true in football.

It takes intelligence, common sense, ability, skill, commitment, spirit, determination, a clear plan of where you want to go and how you will get there. An honest appraisal of what is stopping you from being successful and what additional things would help. Then it comes down to setting priorities. Which bits are most important to tackle now and which can wait a bit longer - this is really important when you are attempting a big turn around on very little money and time.

We won't win anything by having "Outfighting" the opposition as a strategy. Look at little Rochdale (and Bolton) they bullied us off the park! We need more than that.

I absolutely agree we need more and wasn’t saying it should be the premise of our strategy. More a minimum requirement. Going in with an attitude of trying to match the opposition for effort means you will fall short. You have to aim to exceed their effort and win the battle which you may or may not succeed in. The idea then is that our “superior quality” shows through.

Didn't wilder say in his tubthumping pre season forum speeches that 'effort' would be a bare minimum?

I believe so. But unfortunately, he can’t put the effort in for them and will only learn who will do it come matchday by playing them, moving on those that fail and replacing them until he has a team that he can trust to put the required levels of effort in.

It’s all gone so wrong with him hasn’t it? Talisman who loved his loan spell so much he was prepared to take a big wage cut and drop a league to come back. 2 years, 2 managers and an ACL injury later it’s all turned so bleak.

Not to mention how bleak it's been for those cunts the fans mind you they deserve it.

Matching them for effort eh.

How about the novel idea of matching them at football ?

Or is that asking too much ;)

UTB

Not to mention how bleak it's been for those cunts the fans mind you they deserve it.

Very bleak all round. Very hard to find something positive to say about any aspect of our situation. The fans as a whole don't deserve it. We have a number of wankers and morons in our support but then doesn't everybody. I used to sit near a bloke who called for Warnock's head every day during our promotion season.

Most however are just pissed off/ disillusioned and need something from the players/ management/ board to renew their interest and optimism.

So Rochdale and Bolton outfought us?

Sorry, but the more I watch Stevens I want to ring his fuckin neck!

Back
Top Bottom