Where are they now Pt 334

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

bricktop

Reaction score
Diego De Girolamo.

Not heard his name mentioned for a while. I presume he finally got his big money move to Italy and his lighting up Serie A with his skills.

Diego De Girolamo.

Not heard his name mentioned for a while. I presume he finally got his big money move to Italy and his lighting up Serie A with his skills.
Currently failing to force his way into a rock bottom Chesterfield team. It's gone a bit south for the poor lad.

Diego De Girolamo.

on loan from Bristol City at Chesterfield

Same division as Ramsdale (on loan) and Jacob Mellis at Mansfield and Jordan Slew at Rochdale.

Difficult to know whether the latter two made the right choice in leaving us for big money when you hear they’re now in League 2. On the one hand, maybe they were never going to be good enough and made bank at the optimum moment. On the other, maybe they did have the talent and the moves came too early and went to their heads. Must admit, in the same situation as Slew I think I would have made the same decision, was it £20,000 a week they paid him?

Difficult to know whether the latter two made the right choice in leaving us for big money when you hear they’re now in League 2. On the one hand, maybe they were never going to be good enough and made bank at the optimum moment. On the other, maybe they did have the talent and the moves came too early and went to their heads. Must admit, in the same situation as Slew I think I would have made the same decision, was it £20,000 a week they paid him?

exactly. He did right at that point in his life, he may look back when retired and wonder if he could have had a better career. But as a young lad retirement is miles away, he's full of confidence and possibly saw Blackburn as a stepping stone to even greater things. Players reflect on the career when it's coming to /has ended. Young lads think of coin, cars and fanny - didn't we all? It's just that they can turn the tap on faster than the rest of us !!
and whilst we can take a warm glow reflecting back on the "failures", there's also the Kyles, Jag, Harry, and i would say DCL who have gone onto a higher level from us.

Same division as Ramsdale (on loan) and Jacob Mellis at Mansfield and Jordan Slew at Rochdale.

When you look at that list including Diego, Ramsdale apart you can see why some players make it and some don’t. Rio frank and McManaman discussed it on Saturday night. You have to be 100% focused on the here and now to make it.

When you look at that list including Diego, Ramsdale apart you can see why some players make it and some don’t. Rio frank and McManaman discussed it on Saturday night. You have to be 100% focused on the here and now to make it.

agree. Whether you think they are twats as people or not, you have to respect the likes of Giggs, Ronaldo, Lampard and Gerrard (penalty inducing dive aside) for not just getting there, but staying there when their bank balance and trophy cabinet could allow them to take the foot off the gas.

The fact that our academy produces solid league 2 professionals and we question their careers shows what a fantastic job is being done there. Compared to everyone else in the county we are very good at producing players

At every level of kids football it's inevitable that some will develop at different rates to others. Be that in skill, maturity or physical development. Then when that slows, others catch up. It's always been the same. That step up is immense. Staying up there, even harder.

It was £8k a week, which is still way too much for what he had achieved up to that point

Diego De Girolamo.

Who gives a shit....

Despite the immense wealth involved, it must be hard to be a 19-20 year old, trying to look to the future while someone is dangling £20k per week under your nose. I'm 31, and £20k is more than I've ever earned in a year. When you're a young lad, it's difficult to think seriously about the future, when all you can see is the wealth, the sports car and the women that this (however ill-advised) move will undoubtedly bring you.

For the lucky few, it becomes a passport to a life most of us can't even imagine. For the rest...I hope their advisors told them to save a bit, or they'll be pretty buggered when it doesn't work out.

You can't blame Slew for leaving when he did. I don't know how long a contract he was offered, but even £8,000 a week for three years would set him up very nicely, if invested sensibly.

What's more, although he hasn't set the world alight, he'll have been earning a decent wage playing football ever since. Personally I think he did the right thing as I could see him ending up at the level he is currently had he stayed, but without the Blackburn windfall in the bank.

I hope he has been well advised and isn't one of those footballers buying £500 bottles of champagne and ten years later, are looking down the back of the settee for their kids dinner money :eek:

Despite the immense wealth involved, it must be hard to be a 19-20 year old, trying to look to the future while someone is dangling £20k per week under your nose. I'm 31, and £20k is more than I've ever earned in a year. When you're a young lad, it's difficult to think seriously about the future, when all you can see is the wealth, the sports car and the women that this (however ill-advised) move will undoubtedly bring you.

For the lucky few, it becomes a passport to a life most of us can't even imagine. For the rest...I hope their advisors told them to save a bit, or they'll be pretty buggered when it doesn't work out.

The young Hirst lad at Wednesday has been offered £15k a week by Leicester, his Dad asked Wednesday to give him £12k a week to stay there which they’ve obviously said no to. Wednesday offered him an extra £500 a week instead (I don’t know what he’s on now). The money available to players who haven’t yet done anything is completely mental. And some on here wonder why we struggle to keep hold of players.

Diego De Girolamo.

Clearly you know he is at Chesterfield and appear to be delighting in his perceived failure.

Same club as Ramsdale who we sold for £800,000 supposedly.

He was an incredibly skillful player as a youth. Whether he goes on to play at a higher level who knows, but I wish him luck like any other youngster trying to make his way in the game.

Clearly you know he is at Chesterfield and appear to be delighting in his perceived failure.

He was an incredibly skillful player as a youth. Whether he goes on to play at a higher level who knows, but I wish him luck like any other youngster trying to make his way in the game.

I'm very rarely ITK when it comes to Blades matters, but I have it on good authority that Ramsdale was on £19,000 a year at SUFC. Bournemouth offered him £300,000 a year on a four year contract, making him a millionaire overnight, regardless of whether or not he goes on to have a successful career as a professional footballer. I think I it's very obvious why young players like that make the move, most of us would do the same.

What happened to young Ironside?

Ironside.jpg

HH

I'm very rarely ITK when it comes to Blades matters, but I have it on good authority that Ramsdale was on £19,000 a year at SUFC. Bournemouth offered him £300,000 a year on a four year contract, making him a millionaire overnight, regardless of whether or not he goes on to have a successful career as a professional footballer. I think I it's very obvious why young players like that make the move, most of us would do the same.

That sounds about the right figures and I wish him the very best of luck. He will be taxed at 45% and it was perhaps a 3 year deal so not quite a millionaire overnight but I agree with your point.

exactly. He did right at that point in his life, he may look back when retired and wonder if he could have had a better career. But as a young lad retirement is miles away, he's full of confidence and possibly saw Blackburn as a stepping stone to even greater things. Players reflect on the career when it's coming to /has ended. Young lads think of coin, cars and fanny - didn't we all? It's just that they can turn the tap on faster than the rest of us !!
and whilst we can take a warm glow reflecting back on the "failures", there's also the Kyles, Jag, Harry, and i would say DCL who have gone onto a higher level from us.
DCL definitely has. Big Sam rates him ‘for the future’ and I think they already improved and extended his contract. I saw none of that happening but good luck to the lad. Selling him freed up some cash to get us up with 100 points so it was right for us.

Noticed he was on Chesterfield's bench with Dimao...also with Reed and Ramsdale in their line up.

Our reserve goalie was the highest paid player at the club?

Edit sorry thought it said week.

On to the OP he’s at soon to be non league Chessie.

I'm very happy to say the SUFC Academy player I have enjoyed watching the most is Diego. A local lad, in a red n white shirt, putting opponents on their arse, running them ragged, scoring for fun - joyful. At times it was ridiculous.

Danny04 asked me some questions for his David Brooks Vox Pop piece for The Star...
"Is he (Brooks) the most technically gifted young United player you've seen?"
Nope - Diego.

I know he didn't/hasn't made it with us.
I know he's playing at a lower level.
I know he divided opinion.
But, I loved it - week in, week out.

(ps George Hirst - serious talent)

Back
Top Bottom