What was your coldest United match that you have been to

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Derby away Jan 2004 - worse conditions than the original postponed game.

Yes - slipped and fell on some ice outside a nightclub in Derby afterwards. Also fell down the stairs inside the nightclub.

The game there 2 years later when Akinbiyi scored was pretty fresh as I remember.

Swindon away in the late 90s, early 00s. End of jan, bitterly cold on the open away end and they ran out of hot drinks before the game started.

Mansfield Town away late 80s. Driving sleet/ snow in an open away end. Think we won 1-0? (Duffield pen?) Think it took a week to chisel the ice off me
Just the match on my mind as i opened this thread. We ran back to the car in pain it was that bad. Car heater on and all of us feeling like we had iron lungs and extremities about to drop off. Great memories!

I remember this one on TV and thought it looked a bit parky.
Dennis Wise has to grudgingly get a bit of credit for playing in short sleeves and no gloves.

Oxford away in about 1996, lost 4-1, away end was open and i'd forgot my jacket, it was bloody cold.
Yep remember it well , along with a Boxing Day match away at Roker Park , another open end of freezingness . We spoilt away fans back then

For me personally it was Watford away in the FA Cup, lost 5-0
I can remember watching my Dad play when I was five or six years old on the Lodge Moor pitches in the snow.
And I've still never been so cold at a football match as I was that day in Watford

When i was a lad going to watch reserves, sat on south stand, effing cold some nights were.

Sunderland away around 1994 at the old Roker. Lost 2-0 and could have been a rout. Their stewards beat up our fans at the front (allegedly) and too much beer before the game combined with sub zero temperatures .

Seeing the comment box comments got me thinking about the coldest match that I have ever watched the Blades play. For me, it would be a close run thing between two mid-week away matches. The first a game at the old Scunthorpe ground (early '80s) and against (the old) Wimledon when they ground shared with Crystal Palace in the early 2000's. It was that cold on both occasions I have just shivered at the recollection (true).

I'm splitting my vote between; 1)'that' game at Derby - I lost my hat on the way there which was a lovely touch, and 2) Wolves away, no idea what year, I think it was when we had Devlin sent off after about 5 seconds and we lost, it was Baltic, travelled there in my mates fiesta, got back to his car after game in some dump car park in Wolverhampton- heater bust. Genuinely thought we would have to send out distress signals. Got to chesterfield on way back to Dronnyand it started snowing.
It still beats the trip the following year when we won and then got held back after the game for about an hour so the wolves nut jobs could regroup and chase most of us round Wolverhampton for a couple of hours

Mine was an fa cup 3 round at the lane against Brighton, first time I took my daughter think it would be 1986 it was absolutely freezing ended 0- 0 I think . We won the replay.

Sunderland v Blades 26th December 1985 at Roker Park that wind off he sea was freezing. Sure it was with Shred tours stopped at Washington to a club with strippers comic and snap. We had decided to wear fancy dress only one guy took it seriously and turned up dressed as a women garter nylons wig make up the lot he was almost blue by the time the match was over. Cracking day out, only the match spoiled it lost 2-1 if I remember correctly
That's the one for me too ,my Nan lived at seaburn so I walked by to hers through Roker Park after the game ,my top lip had turned to a piece of rubber and my teeth were chattering that hard it hurt, my whole body had stiffened up , the open fire took about an hour to thaw me out and then I got chilblains.
Villa was the coldest at the Lane that I can remember.

Can’t remember when it was but I remember a game against Bury which was a dire game and there was horizontal sleet blowing into the Kop. It was a week before I stopped shivering

It was a night match away at Mansfield or Chesterfield early 80's. Chucking it down wi fkin snow

Fkin freezing and got covered in the white stuff. 1-1 seems to ring a bell but could be wrong

The Reading away game last season, which saw a usual attendance of 16k reduce to about 6k. It beat my previous coldest game that was the Villa cup game in 1996, it was punishingly cold.

Forest away - one Tuesday or Wednesday evening.

Forest had just come up from the third tier - think we drew 1 -1 - sure it was when Chris Morgan scored.

brass monkey weather.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom