Programme Corner

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Once I've sorted them all, I might need some that have been left in pubs/on trains/ruined by rain :D

:D Like it.

Dennis Clarebrough once told me a story, from when he was working on the railways.

A bloke came into work one day and he had blistered thumbs, when questioned, he said he'd spent all night punch holing all his United programmes from the 1930s so he could get them in a ring binder.
Dennis had to take the day off......he was too upset

A question of storage

How do your store your programmes, and perhaps more importantly where?

Well, you need a lot of space,.... and for many that's a major problem.

Quite simply many don't have it, without sending one of the kids into foster care so you can adapt their bedroom.

In yesteryear there could be dozens of shoe boxes under the bed, but there was always the danger the missus would crush them when she turned over in bed.

Keep them dry and out of sunlight, and not in an attic unless its fully insulated. theres been many a collection left in suitcases upstairs. Unfortunately, a lot of 50s and 60s programmes suffer from staple bleed. The garage is to be avoided at all cost. I once knew of an old lady who had a large collection of 20s and 30s programmes that for some reason had always sat on the top of a cupboard in the kitchen. They'd been there for years but by the time she wanted rid they'd gone yellow and were all stuck together with chip fat.

In theory official club binders, sound a good idea but in reality they're not that practical. They can look good on a bookcase, but tend to cater only for modern issues and then only home games. Away programmes come in all shapes and sizes. I hate those bloody square ones, and for those of you can remember back in the 70s. Several teams like Doncaster, Plymouth, Rotherham and probably most famously Derby went for a newspaper format. Horrendous.

A lot of avid collectors don't collect modern issues because of this, they are weighty, not a great value, and will set u back near on £200 a season if you do home and away and friendlies. The downside is then its not a full collection.

Consider a purchase of non acidic paper bags like those which comic collectors use if you've got pre-war, keep them secure.

They're are some good binder/folders out there, which do the job but these cant be considered for modern issues that still remains a conundrum for most.

View attachment 65097View attachment 65098
Good effort.........................................................................................................................Could do better...now where did i put that Wolves programme..
The eldest has had an offer on a house accepted which will leave just one at home by early next year leaving a reasonably sized bedroom empty. I’m so excited. Is that wrong?
:oops:😁

Programme Review No 8, Wolves
img140.jpg

Same size programme as United, pages not numbered as the average Wolves fan cannot count past five.

Shortest manager notes ever from Nuno...got to fit the adverts in.

Good section on the Blades, followed up by a double page from Danny Hall

Foot in both camps features Nathan Blake, who admits he prefers Wolves to United and gushes on about that day at the Millenuim in 2003.

Snapshot.....a picture from a previous game between the two sides....the Millenuim in 2003.

The archive section, starts of with the Programme Vault, a selection of past programmes home and away which is quickly followed by 'Inside the Musuem' which highlights a medal......yes you guessed it, from that day at the Millenuim in 2003. I'm only surprised that Don Goodman hasn't got his own page.

There's a shock in the golden goals section, yes its against the Blades but its not any at cardiff.

The rest of the programme is pretty much standard, with former player Paul Cook talking about his time at the Wolves, and then onto the U23s, stats etc.

There's a mini pull out for the kids in the back and just when you thought it was safe the final page goes to Dave Jones who recalls that long forgotten day in 2003 at Cardiff.

It started promising but ended up a disappointment.

Price: £3:50

Programme review No 9, Norwich City
img141.jpg

On the Ball City, an 116 page effort from the canaries. Retro cover with our Billy and some ugly bloke from Norwich.

Although there's something like 31 pages of adverts, there's a bit more meat in this one than some of this season's efforts so far.

Farke describes us as 'competitive'.

Norwich City talk comes from Radio Norfolk's Chris Goreham, who highlights the recent rivalry between the two clubs, given that no geography is involved. And that last season, that rivalry was put aside as both teams rallied together in their quest to banish the 'common' enemy Dirrty L**ds. However as he points out, they are no longer in the equation so it could get 'tasty'.

There's a good read later on by some lass who does a bit of writing, where she too concentrates on the subject of 'Us' and why she rates Wilder as a great manager but she just can't bring herself to be happy when we play, she always wants us to lose, its an interesting psyche into the mind of a football fan, that subconsciously its good to have these grudges against certain teams, its what football thrives on.

Good section on United, complimented with an article on Bramall Lane itself which is a first this season.

Kenny McLean, Norwich midfielder seemed to think that United deserved to be where they are and this was going to be 'tough'.

With it being a rainbow laces issue there's an article on Justin Fashanu, it states that he is best remembered for the being the first open gay footballer. Perhaps its just me, I always remembered him for 'that goal against Liverpool', but perhaps that's just me.

Christmas books recommend Grant Holts autobiography. I'll not be ordering a copy.

Foot in both camps belonged to Rob Ullathorne, interesting insight when he signed from Norwich. Neil Warnock said 'I don't want you playing your Norwich style of football, I want you to get forward'. I was surprised it wasn't fall down and take three minutes over throw ins, but that would come much later. Sorry.

There are then 'Norwich's greatest premier goals - Mark robins v Arsenal' - perhaps we could do one,
The 'What if' section, where the question is asked if that decision in a crucial match had gone the other way what might have happened and its effect on history.
Former player section looks at Kevin Reeves, one of the earliest transfers involving 1 million when he left to join Manchester City.
The Nearly section, a magnet for the likes of the CBF, players who nearly made it to the 1st team but never actually did.

Rounded off with all the usual stats, U23s and Academy stuff and a soundbite from one of Norwich's great goals, jeremy Goss v Leeds 'Well, they don't come better do they'.

All in all a better read than most.

price: £3.50

Programme Review No 10, Brighton and Hove Albion
img193.jpg

A weighty effort, almost as thick as one of them Grattan catalogues me Nan used to have.

100 pages which starts with Graham Potter launching straight into the Blades love in. Praises United on how well they've done and re-iterates what many have said 'it will be tough'. Chief Executive Paul Barber welcomes back Ollie Norwood and continues on the theme that 'it will be tough'.

Record signing Adam Webster acknowledges that he's well versed when it come to the Blades, having triumphed both times with Bristol City last season.
He puts United strength, down to 'team spirit', and the bond between the squad and the manager.

He's also mates with Didzy. After yesterday he might not be :)

Good section on United with factfile focusing on Callum Robinson.

Foot in both camps belongs to Danny Cullip, who played 15 games for us.

Great section celebrating Brighton's 100 years in the League 'Centurions' which in this issue looked at Michael Robinson, as stated before I enjoy reminiscing about players from that period '75 - 84', my schoolboy years if you like. He signed for Brighton in 1979 and became Britain's second most expensive footballer at the time. He later went to Liverpool.

Player profile is on Davy Propper, who clearly doesn't know nowt about us as in six pages we don't get mentioned once.

Pride in the shirt....not sure you can have pride in a blue and white striped shirt :eek:

4 page spread with legend Bob Booker talking about the Blades and Tufty, 'it was like winning the lottery' when he signed for us. A good read.

Finishes off with Academy Pathway, girlie football and an article with Dan Burn. An extra time pull out for the kids with a giant poster and quiz

Price: £3:50

A53A7641-EAAA-4B24-839E-E2586B4286A2.jpeg99E2E287-9B47-4259-B6C7-7833B46D1E38.jpeg57FC0252-57AB-4D2E-AB47-072AA8B0C71D.jpeg238B6E36-EB4E-4C67-9A7B-86EE42E5AB1C.jpeg

Interesting article at the beginning about newly promoted sides and the points accrued in the top flight. A discussion frequently heard to this day, although the tables have turned somewhat, Citeh had only been promoted the season before 65/66!
Great photo of Maine Road also with 1960’s style doctored white lines on the pitch!!

I was not.

It’s nice to know however, that simply posting a photo of an old programme has evoked an old memory! Can you remember anything of the game, the stadium, the atmosphere etc?
To be honest, I can’t, I travelled to away matches quite a lot, but picking single ones now is a bit of a reach.

View attachment 67422View attachment 67423View attachment 67424View attachment 67425

Interesting article at the beginning about newly promoted sides and the points accrued in the top flight. A discussion frequently heard to this day, although the tables have turned somewhat, Citeh had only been promoted the season before 65/66!
Great photo of Maine Road also with 1960’s style doctored white lines on the pitch!!
I’d forgotten that Maine Road was a giant Subbuteo pitch!

State-of-the-art was Subbuteo. Spent/wasted many hours of my youth playing against my brother, with leagues that lasted several weeks. Arranging the fixture list would take a whole evening!

My dad, his brother and friends would do the same! The 1950’s equivalent of playing FIFA I guess? Each had a team but would play on behalf of all the others in the division (no computer to do it for you)!
F8BBFB69-2854-42CF-9B77-DF3FA3A560F1.jpeg
Bollocks Subbuteo, they never had Jimmy Hagan on the front cover!

Current Season Programme Review No 11, Manchester City

49350923852_682e7d320d_o.jpg

Unique 84 page design with welcome concept design on cover, Iconic goals being this season's theme. I Like it.

I wonder which one's United could come up with if they adopted the theme next season?

More compliments from Pep, before a little retro with Mike Summerbee, remembering 1968 and his meeting at the Hallam Towers with some long haired layabouts who wanted free tickets for the game. It was Pink Floyd. Bloody scroungers.

The first half is spoilt by too many adverts, but it makes a strong comeback, with former City winger Peter Barnes picking his dream team, no Kompany, no Walker and shockingly no John Stones.

Modern Black and white photos aligned with City's 125th anniversary makes for good visuals.

Spotlight (3 x 2 pages) falls on City's, Ellie Roebuck, Sheffield born and bred, and a big Blades fan,
and a player from the development and the Academy which is different from the norm

Head to head, mentions that these games usually end up goal-less, Kyle Walker and Gareth Taylor played for both, and Tufty played against City.
Pep never played against the Blades , because Barcelona were always shit scared to play us.

Moments in Time captures the Balloon goal from 2008.

Good six page section on the Blades, and a double stat page on Leroy Sane. Finishing with all the stats on Steph Houghton and the girls, 1st team, U23s and Academy.

At £3 its the cheapest in the Premier League

Current Season Programme Review No 12, Liverpool

img525.jpg

84 pages from the Champions Select, although feels a lot thinner, its almost as if somebody has nicked some of the pages.

Big Jurgen pays us respect, big time, saying that people say United are where they are because of spirit, fight and organization...but that would be doing them a disservice.

Unfortunately, he's clearly done his homework on us

There's no looking ahead, its about now. 'United have ze plan, and we have ze plan to counter ze plan'. Bloody fiendish these Germans.

Capt Jordan Henderson, plays along with this similiar theme.

Head to head brings up an interest fact. No Liverpool substitute has ever scored against United. To be fair we didn't play them when they had David Fairclough.

5 pages with Adam Llalana, he's not making any excuses, we've played more games, we've just flown back from Doha etc etc.

But they fly everwhere, they flew to us in October. My sources tell me it took all of 11 minutes.

Everything else pretty much bog standard, A-tak, Atak, A-tak, introduces new signing Minamino, although it would have been quality if it had read Tora, Tora Tora.
Q&A with Andy Robertson and endless pages of supporters clad in Red.

8 pages of what the Press have said this year about the club, Not surprisingly The Sun don't have an input.

Unlike the team, ….its a publication that's short on stamina, and quality.

Cost £3.50

Some non related United programme covers for a change. Great artwork and a little bit of imagination.

They do have the power to split opinion, in 2016/7 wolves went for this theme: here's the two I have.

47928166361_e765572a5d_c.jpg47938407306_baf4d7f8b0_c.jpg
Some said at the time they didn't like them, personally, loved them,

this season in the EFL Salford City were leading the way:

s-l225.jpgsalford city Stone roses.jpgsalford Jaws.jpgsalford batman.jpgs-l500.jpg

and lets not forget north of the border at Aberdeen:

Aberdeen game of thrones.pngaberdeen v kilmarnock.jpgAberdeem - Vice City.jpgAberdeen massive attack.jpg

Some non related United programme covers for a change. Great artwork and a little bit of imagination.

They do have the power to split opinion, in 2016/7 wolves went for this theme: here's the two I have.

View attachment 77161View attachment 77162
Some said at the time they didn't like them, personally, loved them,

this season in the EFL Salford City were leading the way:

View attachment 77163View attachment 77164View attachment 77165View attachment 77166View attachment 77167

and lets not forget north of the border at Aberdeen:

View attachment 77170View attachment 77171View attachment 77172View attachment 77174
If that first one from Salford is a mascot, it should have a fight with West Brom's famous central heating boiler man...

Latest developments regarding this season's programme with regards to games behind closed doors are as follows:

United are now believed to be doing one bumper issue to cover all remaining games.

Away Games

Southampton are doing the same 1 issue covering all remaining games £5 plus p&p....available on their website

Villa available direct from ignition sports Media £3 plus p&p

Manchester United available to pre-order direct from their printers Reach Sports Media £3.50 plus p&p

Leicester no details as yet, but are looking into it, possibly digital only

Burnley are said to be doing one but no details as of yet

Newcastle will be a non issue

Right at the beginning of this column I questioned how our programme 'UTB' would compare with other premier league clubs, well according to the Premier Programmes website, pretty well.

Foxy needs to clear the piles he's got first (as you were, matron) before he adds to them.

He's been forced to clear a route to my desk so I can actually do some work. And then clear everything within view of my desk so I can take video calls.

The boxes have even managed to spread upstairs into our bedroom.

When I asked him to consult the spreadsheet earlier to find some programmes out, I was told it was incomplete. And only the past 20 years or so are in proper boxes.

I'm very glad I refused his idea of renting a storage unit 18 months ago so it could be "sorted". We'd clearly still be paying for it!

I just got rid of just about all my programmes dating back to 1963. My collecting was rather stop start, I would collect for a season see the pile growing and stop for a few years only to relapse and start collecting again. Still the box they were in was really heavy not sure the daughter in law is best pleased about the programme's new home 🤣

Back
Top Bottom