Our Manager

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I couldn’t care less what his politics are or what he says, the only problem with any comments is you leave yourself up to look like a prat and just add ammunition to people
Of course you care - that’s why you’re posting about it.

Chrissy Wilder - he’s one of our own. Join in...

I don't think it was about what he could say to the players, I think he was talking about what's acceptable to say in public. We went through this with his comments about Henderson, and I was with him then too. But mostly my point is I think there's nothing a manager in his position can say that won't result in a lot of criticism. He said it's not down to the system it's down to players making errors and not performing as well as we've come to expect. I've said that for a long time.

If he comes out and takes the blame then people will say he's not good enough and should walk. If he comes out and criticises the players people will say he's throwing them under the bus. When Robson and Clough came out and acted indifferent under pressure then everyone moaned they don't care. He can't win and he's obviously feeling the strain. At least he cares, and at least he has a track record of success this season aside. So I just want to write this season off and move on.
So can he answer the question of why his players, the same ones as last season, are not even close to the levels of performance of last season, if it isnt the fault of the system he plays?

Also he is in a job which at this level faces intense scrutiny, esp by the press. You need to be media savvy or you end up looking like a prat and get hung out to dry. He knows the score, it will never change and it may be that he prefers it when we were more 'under the radar' in the lower leagues. Sorry, but in his job you don't have the freedom to say what you want all of the time, it doesnt work like that, never has. It isnt anything to do with so called 'lefties' or any kind of culture change, it's a case of it always being like this. Even Fergie shunned some media outlets for years given how toxic they were. If he didnt know that at over 50 years of age...

Of course you care - that’s why you’re posting about it.

Chrissy Wilder - he’s one of our own. Join in...

No, I have been one of those on the keep Wilder next season wagon and nothing has changed that

Just because his political views may be shit they have nothing to do with how he does his job, however the fact he decided to have his little moment means it’s now something being discussed when it doesn’t need to

So can he answer the question of why his players, the same ones as last season, are not even close to the levels of performance of last season, if it isnt the fault of the system he plays?

Also he is in a job which at this level faces intense scrutiny, esp by the press. You need to be media savvy or you end up looking like a prat and get hung out to dry. He knows the score, it will never change and it may be that he prefers it when we were more 'under the radar' in the lower leagues. Sorry, but in his job you don't have the freedom to say what you want all of the time, it doesnt work like that, never has. It isnt anything to do with so called 'lefties' or any kind of culture change, it's a case of it always being like this. Even Fergie shunned some media outlets for years given how toxic they were. If he didnt know that at over 50 years of age...

It’s basic common Sunday league knowledge or it should be, I don’t need to have managed elsewhere to know if I’m hired by Rangers or Celtic I don’t mention religion, if I’m hired by Barca I don’t come out and criticise Catalan independence etc, nothing to do with what I think about it but more I have a dozen other things to do so why mention it

I don't see how the system would explain why players are underperforming given it was the same system last season.

I'm not that interested in trying to defend the "leftie" part of it, I said what I thought he meant and people can take or leave it. It's a bad thing to say but I think I got the sentiment. That comment aside, I just didn't find myself disagreeing much with him. Players are making individual errors to the point it seems daft to even talk about formations. Ollie Norwood handing a goal away last week isn't because we played 352 not 442, it's on the player.

I don't mind seeing a manager who cares as much as Wilder obviously does. I wasn't outraged by that interview. I get if others were. All I'm saying is that there's no interview a manager in his position can give that won't result in this kind of reaction from some section of fans and so I'm just not that bothered by it, or defending it, or even supporting it. I've got the same attitude to this season, the players, and the manager as I had last week.

I don't see how the system would explain why players are underperforming given it was the same system last season.

I'm not that interested in trying to defend the "leftie" part of it, I said what I thought he meant and people can take or leave it. It's a bad thing to say but I think I got the sentiment. That comment aside, I just didn't find myself disagreeing much with him. Players are making individual errors to the point it seems daft to even talk about formations. Ollie Norwood handing a goal away last week isn't because we played 352 not 442, it's on the player.

I don't mind seeing a manager who cares as much as Wilder obviously does. I wasn't outraged by that interview. I get if others were. All I'm saying is that there's no interview a manager in his position can give that won't result in this kind of reaction from some section of fans and so I'm just not that bothered by it, or defending it, or even supporting it. I've got the same attitude to this season, the players, and the manager as I had last week.

At least he doesn't bullshit through his interviews, and being a Yorkshire man, born in Sheffield I love that, just how it should, "tell it like it is but don't complain when it comes back at you"
1-1 draw tonight is my forecast!

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, especially considering politics, and CW hasn't actually said he votes either Tory or UKIP...

And I believe that a football manager should be chosen based on their tactical ability, not their political leanings (however much those leanings may differ from the identity of a club).

I still feel CW is the right man for the job, professionally speaking.

However given the effects of the last few years of Tory government (homelessness, unemployment, NHS cutbacks, PPE fraud etc) and the fact that a lot of those effects are being felt close to home...and that the surrounding SY area still hasn't recovered from Maggie's decisions...

I won't be calling him "one of our own" anymore.

(That is, of course, if he happens to admit voting Tory or UKIP - which he is under no obligation to do - and I'm aware that my opinion will mean sod all to him, or anyone else for that matter. But its just where I'm at with it 🤷‍♂️)

Yep, Wilder did 'wet the bed' ( to use another one of your childish sun reader-isms) given how much he was crying during that, ahem, "press conference". Take some responsibility Chris, there's a good lad. Anybody's fault but his, not a good look.
Where hasn’t he took responsibility? Have you not seen various interviews where he has pretty much said this? I understand the leftie comment has completely rattled you but let’s not make things up shall we. To be fair I think the lefty comment and do gooders were in response to people saying you shouldn’t criticise the players. This idea that nobody can be given a bollocking anymore is very much a left wing ideology rather than any political stance. You are trying to make more of it than there is again it’s a throwaway comment which is completely over analysed by a section of our fan base who clearly think a change in management is suddenly going to turn us into a top 6 premier league team.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, especially considering politics, and CW hasn't actually said he votes either Tory or UKIP...

And I believe that a football manager should be chosen based on their tactical ability, not their political leanings (however much those leanings may differ from the identity of a club).

I still feel CW is the right man for the job, professionally speaking.

However given the effects of the last few years of Tory government (homelessness, unemployment, NHS cutbacks, PPE fraud etc) and the fact that a lot of those effects are being felt close to home...and that the surrounding SY area still hasn't recovered from Maggie's decisions...

I won't be calling him "one of our own" anymore.

(That is, of course, if he happens to admit voting Tory or UKIP - which he is under no obligation to do - and I'm aware that my opinion will mean sod all to him, or anyone else for that matter. But its just where I'm at with it 🤷‍♂️)
There's a huge abundance of labour or former labour voters that are unhappy with the party's big move to the left to appease nutjobs.

I don't have a clue, but if I had to guess that's where I'd put Chris. It's a peculiar "cancel culture" phenomen that's inherent to the left wing to completely dislike anyone to the right of them based on politics alone. They talk about togetherness and equality and dismiss anyone they don't agree with in the next breath. Exactly like you've just done with Chris Wilder based on an assumption you've made on his politics and in spite of him being our best manager in 30 years.

It was only a throwaway comment, but I do just wish he'd have kept politics out of football altogether.

Isn't it refreshing having a manager that says what he thinks instead of saying what some people would like to hear . He's the manager for me .utb

But you are not allowed to do that these days
The manager of a PL football club has got to be media savvy and say to them exactly what they and the fans want to hear. It doesnt matter how good a football manager he is, hes got to be good at this media lark
Being a media darling is what its all about thats what the snowflakes insist on

Great post summed up perfectly,

There's a huge abundance of labour or former labour voters that are unhappy with the party's big move to the left to appease nutjobs.

I don't have a clue, but if I had to guess that's where I'd put Chris. It's a peculiar "cancel culture" phenomen that's inherent to the left wing to completely dislike anyone to the right of them based on politics alone. They talk about togetherness and equality and dismiss anyone they don't agree with in the next breath. Exactly like you've just done with Chris Wilder based on an assumption you've made on his politics and in spite of him being our best manager in 30 years.

It was only a throwaway comment, but I do just wish he'd have kept politics out of football altogether.
Another really good post.

Where hasn’t he took responsibility? Have you not seen various interviews where he has pretty much said this? I understand the leftie comment has completely rattled you but let’s not make things up shall we. To be fair I think the lefty comment and do gooders were in response to people saying you shouldn’t criticise the players. This idea that nobody can be given a bollocking anymore is very much a left wing ideology rather than any political stance. You are trying to make more of it than there is again it’s a throwaway comment which is completely over analysed by a section of our fan base who clearly think a change in management is suddenly going to turn us into a top 6 premier league team.

I think your response is why there has been a reaction tbh, no idea why anyone thinks do gooders or lefties claim you can’t bollock anyone anymore, if that’s his reaction, and I’m not saying it is, it’s a stupid one and has left himself open to criticism

If the systems not working because of individual mistakes and the manager continues playing that system and those players etc then it’s on him, if he then gets rattled by comments saying such then he needs to grow a pair imo and get on with the job

If you actually listen to the interview again he’s not slating sports psychologist or even “left wing political voters”. What I believe he is saying is all these people who think they are psychologists saying we shouldnt criticise players in response to the question about criticising players. And again this far left ideology that everyone needs a hug and you cannot have a go at someone in the workplace. This is all bang on and pretty much reflects what a lot of working class people feel. He wears his heart in his sleeve and if he had the chance to do the interview again then he probably wouldn’t have said it. However the only people who are offended by this are people who disagree with what he has said about the ideology of not criticising players because they may feel hurt.

Please explain where I've dismissed Chris Wilder and made any assumptions about the situation

I think your response is why there has been a reaction tbh, no idea why anyone thinks do gooders or lefties claim you can’t bollock anyone anymore, if that’s his reaction, and I’m not saying it is, it’s a stupid one and has left himself open to criticism

If the systems not working because of individual mistakes and the manager continues playing that system and those players etc then it’s on him, if he then gets rattled by comments saying such then he needs to grow a pair imo and get on with the job
The system again works it has proved it works time and time again. He is saying the biggest issue is players making mistakes and loss of form/injuries. Again this is in response to a question about what he thinks is different to last season.
Becasue we have had a number of players losing form making silly mistakes and of course the injuries is one of the big reasons why he thinks it has gone so wrong this year.
Unfortunately he cannot drop 5/6 players and bring in different players who are going to do better it just the way it is.

Wilder said in a previous press conference that 'personal criticism is cheap' so this is quite a contrast.

The world is how it is Chris, it's not how you or I would like it to be so I think he needs to be more careful with some of his comments. Just because they may be correct should not mean you say them.

Sheffield is a historic left wing city and he shouldn't leave himself open to misinterpretation.

Please explain where I've dismissed Chris Wilder and made any assumptions about the situation
"I won't be calling him one of our own anymore"

The whole of my post wasn't specifically aimed at you despite me hitting the quote button. I've seen much worse

Just for the record as well, I'm by no means a hard left voter, in my eyes the far left are just as batty as the far right, just whinier 🤷‍♂️😅 and im all for freedom of speech and being able to call a shit performance a shit performance.

My reply was specifically in connection to the "if" of whether he is a staunch tory or ukip voter. That comes down to my opinions on the difference between having right wing views...and voting Conservative. All personal political preferences, which is basically all politics is.

And as I said before, he hasn't actually said who he votes for, that "leftie" comment may not be anything to do with actual politics, and the man can vote for who he wants to vote for. Just as I can choose to change my opinion on the man if he does, such is life 😊

No, I have been one of those on the keep Wilder next season wagon and nothing has changed that

Just because his political views may be shit they have nothing to do with how he does his job, however the fact he decided to have his little moment means it’s now something being discussed when it doesn’t need to

Just a glimpse of the pressure I suspect. As I’ve said before it’s out of the norm as he’s usually extremely careful about what he says. It just seems a bit of an odd presser and doesn’t seem to make much sense. Hopefully it’s just a blip.

But you are not allowed to do that these days
The manager of a PL football club has got to be media savvy and say to them exactly what they and the fans want to hear. It doesnt matter how good a football manager he is, hes got to be good at this media lark
Being a media darling is what its all about thats what the snowflakes insist on
So I will go into my next managerial meeting with the board of directors and just say what I want? Shall I tell the directors that their current media and marketing strategy is 'leftie bollox' and they're being 'snowflakes' (to use a word that gives grunts a boner) by trying to portray a particular image or message? No. If I disagree with something I will do it both professionally and constructively. It isnt about being a 'media darling' it's about acting like a fuckin grown up in public, especially when it is the club that you are respresenting. Im done with this thread, but with a nod to Football Manager 'I'm happy that some of you agree with me and I respect the views of those that dont' 🤣

"I won't be calling him one of our own anymore"

The whole of my post wasn't specifically aimed at you despite me hitting the quote button. I've seen much worse
Yeah I understand that mate, I wasn't having a go at you either, just so you know 😊

IF he admitted to voting tory, then yeah I wouldn't call him "one of our own" but there's a big difference between dismissing someone altogether, and not having them as part of your family.

Id still want CW as manager while ever he's the best professional choice. But as someone who has early memories of watching my uncle die in hospital after Orgreave, had swaithes of family ripped apart by the mining crisis and has lost business to austerity.

I wouldn't dismiss him though, still think he's entitled to vote for whoever he wants...but I wouldn't have him as part of my family/"one of my own"

The thing that really baffles me is I'm pretty sure most of our fans WANT him to give MORE CRITICISM to the players when they're shit! 😅

I dont remember hearing a single blade, or neutral actually, saying...

"Eee I wish Wilder would go a bit softer on Norwood when he gives the ball away/neshes a tackle" 🤣

"Ere Chris, dont be so hard on Mousset mate, he's trying his best" 😅

Pretty sure most of us want him bollocking them for 3 hrs straight after a shitshow!

The thing that really baffles me is I'm pretty sure most of our fans WANT him to give MORE CRITICISM to the players when they're shit! 😅

I dont remember hearing a single blade, or neutral actually, saying...

"Eee I wish Wilder would go a bit softer on Norwood when he gives the ball away/neshes a tackle" 🤣

"Ere Chris, dont be so hard on Mousset mate, he's trying his best" 😅

Pretty sure most of us want him bollocking them for 3 hrs straight after a shitshow!

Yes but there's a difference in doing it so publicly in the Premier League. I always thought his post match press conference away at Leicester last year was uncalled for.

Back
Top Bottom